View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 2:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Percy Harvin TRADED to Seattle 
Color Commentator - John Madden

Post Percy Harvin TRADED to Seattle
Apparently Seattle has made a big move to help their chances at winning a Super Bowl by adding Percy Harvin.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -physical/

I'm sure we can all say "Good Riddance" to Harvin. I'll be happy to not see him twice a year anymore!

March 11th, 2013, 1:23 pm
Team MVP

Post Re: Percy Harvin TRADED to Seattle
Seattle is gonna be GOOD.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 11th, 2013, 1:24 pm
When was the last time we actually saw him twice a year? Wasn't he always hurt?

What did they give up for him?

March 11th, 2013, 1:26 pm

From what I've read the Vikings will get AT LEAST one first round pick. There may be more in the deal. It was also contingent on a new contract for Harvin, which should be done within 48 hours.

Assuming the first rounder is in this draft, Minnesota could have 23 and 25 picks.

March 11th, 2013, 1:36 pm

Per Jay Glazer

‏@JayGlazer: Seattle sends this years first round pick and a 7th rounder as well as a mid-round pick next year for Harvin. Win-win for both teams

Brandon Marshall was had for 2 3rd round picks. Did they overpay for a guy with a history or injuries? Maybe, but if they think they are one dynamic playmaker away from a Super Bowl, you make that trade, everytime.

March 11th, 2013, 1:37 pm
NFL Veteran

Wayne Fontes wrote:
Per Jay Glazer

‏@JayGlazer: Seattle sends this years first round pick and a 7th rounder as well as a mid-round pick next year for Harvin. Win-win for both teams

Brandon Marshall was had for 2 3rd round picks. Did they overpay for a guy with a history or injuries? Maybe, but if they think they are one dynamic playmaker away from a Super Bowl, you make that trade, everytime.

I think it's a great move for Seattle. They have enough good enough WRs already on the roster to not have to throw to Harvin any time they drop back and Harvin's dynamic play will be amazing when paired to Russell Wilson's ability to extend plays. Anytime Russell begins to move around it almost guarantees Harvin will be able to break off from any man coverage. Then you add all their really giving up is one 1st rd pick on a team that doesn't have any major holes. They can definitely afford the risk on his injury history.

It's a bad deal for the Vikings, but they really had no choice. They already had virtually nothing at WR and now they really have nothing. I don't know how they expect an obvious game manger QB like Ponder to help AP in anyway now. I hope they don't just turn around and use the pick on a 1st rd WR because that means all they got was a mid rounder and a 7th for their primary WR. I'll be happy to see the Vikings be bad if they don't get any FA WRs but I'll also have a bit of sadness seeing APs career turn into Stephen Jackson's.

March 11th, 2013, 4:56 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

I want to see the contract, if the Seahawks give him any kind of significant signing bonus there is a really good chance the deal backfires on them. He is the ultimate diva WR with major health issues, mainly his migraines that he either legitimately or conveniently uses to miss time (especially practices).

March 11th, 2013, 5:06 pm
Heisman Winner

In contrast, Anquan Boldin was traded to the 49ers for a 6th round pick. Good deal for the 9ers.

I think the Harvin deal was a bad one for Seattle, they still got better, but they could've been a lot better if they drafted a rookie with that 1st rd pick.

March 11th, 2013, 5:18 pm

I don't think that the Harvin deal was necessarily bad, but they're trying to be bold and win a championship. They think they are 1 player away from a Super Bowl, so I applaud them for going for it.

The Boldin deal is only because he didn't want to restructure, and they were going to cut him anyway. I think SF got a steal, as Boldin was the best player in the playoffs for Baltimore. But they won a SB, and Ozzie Newsome is the best GM in the biz, so I don't question his moves. Now they can use his cap savings on Dannel Ellerbe, which they need more than a WR. They've got Torrey Smith, Jacoby Jones, Dennis Pitta, and Ed Dickson plus Ray Rice out of the backfield. They'll be fine. It just seems odd with the two SB teams trading a high profile guy for basically peanuts.

March 11th, 2013, 5:58 pm
NFL Veteran

Even if Seattle only gets 14 games out of him a season he's still worth the picks and money for their team. They are not getting a receiver like him in the draft, so using a first for him is no big deal and if they think they are only a WR away then it's smarter to trade for a known than draft an unknown.They have barely any needs this season so they can front load Harvin's contract for the first year. That can give them an easier time releasing him if he doesn't workout. This team is in a luxury position and can afford to move assets and take risks. This was a great risk for Seattle and an unfortunate mismanagement of a personality for the Vikings.

March 11th, 2013, 7:09 pm
Wayne Fontes wrote:
I don't think that the Harvin deal was necessarily bad, but they're trying to be bold and win a championship. They think they are 1 player away from a Super Bowl, so I applaud them for going for it.

The Boldin deal is only because he didn't want to restructure, and they were going to cut him anyway. I think SF got a steal, as Boldin was the best player in the playoffs for Baltimore. But they won a SB, and Ozzie Newsome is the best GM in the biz, so I don't question his moves. Now they can use his cap savings on Dannel Ellerbe, which they need more than a WR. They've got Torrey Smith, Jacoby Jones, Dennis Pitta, and Ed Dickson plus Ray Rice out of the backfield. They'll be fine. It just seems odd with the two SB teams trading a high profile guy for basically peanuts.

And the HCs are brothers... Go figure...

"Hey Jim... It was fun whooping you last year, but we're likely going to have an off-year while we take care of some of this cap hell... How about taking our best WR for basically nothing???"

rao wrote:
Even if Seattle only gets 14 games out of him a season he's still worth the picks and money for their team. They are not getting a receiver like him in the draft, so using a first for him is no big deal and if they think they are only a WR away then it's smarter to trade for a known than draft an unknown.They have barely any needs this season so they can front load Harvin's contract for the first year. That can give them an easier time releasing him if he doesn't workout. This team is in a luxury position and can afford to move assets and take risks. This was a great risk for Seattle and an unfortunate mismanagement of a personality for the Vikings.

I disagree that it was "unfortunate" for the Vikings." They could get Tavon Austin out of the deal, who's a very similar type of player, not a diva, and younger/cheaper. Even if they miss out on TA they can still get a more of a true #1 type of WR out of the deal. If they would have gotten a 2nd or 3rd round pick out of him, I could see boo-hooing for Minny, but IMO Minny is in great shape with this deal.

March 11th, 2013, 8:23 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Wayne Fontes wrote:

And the HCs are brothers... Go figure...

"Hey Jim... It was fun whooping you last year, but we're likely going to have an off-year while we take care of some of this cap hell... How about taking our best WR for basically nothing???"

rao wrote:

I disagree that it was "unfortunate" for the Vikings." They could get Tavon Austin out of the deal, who's a very similar type of player, not a diva, and younger/cheaper. Even if they miss out on TA they can still get a more of a true #1 type of WR out of the deal. If they would have gotten a 2nd or 3rd round pick out of him, I could see boo-hooing for Minny, but IMO Minny is in great shape with this deal.

Tavon Austin may have a similar skill set but he makes Harvin look like a big WR. He's not going to be able to be the primary receiving threat the way Harvin can. There isn't an obvious #1 this year, they are just as likely to get a #1 in the first round as they are in the 3rd with this years prospects. Minny basically scrapped the offense to get rid of a headache, it won't kill their team but it wasn't a win. Their best bet is to go shopping for FA WRs and use those 1st rounders on CBs, if they draft a WR in the 1st round this year they detroyed the value they managed to squeeze out by getting a 1st out of the trade.

March 11th, 2013, 10:37 pm

Percy Harvin's deal is supposedly north of $12M a year. That's a lot of escacarole. He's young and dynamic and will help them make a SB push.

March 12th, 2013, 12:12 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Wayne Fontes wrote:
Percy Harvin's deal is supposedly north of $12M a year. That's a lot of escacarole. He's young and dynamic and will help them make a SB push.

Seattle can definitely pay that. They have over $17 million in cap space, and they can easily release Matt Flynn to get more space, and as someone said pay him a silly amount of his contract in the first year and have him at a great price for the rest of it. He wanted to be utilized more, and Seattle will make that happen. He can play superback on offense and his return ability is a nightmare for ST coverage units. I'm very happy we won't be facing him 2x a year anymore.

March 12th, 2013, 3:31 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Wayne Fontes wrote:
Apparently Seattle has made a big move to help their chances at winning a Super Bowl by adding Percy Harvin.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -physical/

I'm sure we can all say "Good Riddance" to Harvin. I'll be happy to not see him twice a year anymore!

I am weighing in a bit late on this subject, and I haven't read the rest of the thread yet.

But, this trade really urinates in my Cornflakes so to speak.

Why is it, that when any other team gets a problem child, someone else will bail them out and trade for that problem child? But, no-one ever bails us out of a problem child. EVER!!!! To top it off, Seattle way over paid for Harvin. A 1st and 6th this year and either a 3rd or 4th next year? That's more than we got for Roy Williams. And Roy was never a problem child with us.

March 12th, 2013, 10:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next