View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 24th, 2014, 6:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next
 Free Agency splash 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Free Agency splash
I don't think they'll use him solely at DT. If you think so, more power to you, but I don't think they will. I see him splitting time. At DE on 1st and 2nd, DT on 3rd (generally)

March 12th, 2013, 5:30 pm
NFL Veteran

conversion02 wrote:
I don't think they'll use him solely at DT. If you think so, more power to you, but I don't think they will. I see him splitting time. At DE on 1st and 2nd, DT on 3rd.

I never said he will never be used at DE, but they are bringing him in as part of the DT rotation. They only have Suh and Failey, so they can't keep a good interior pass rush without at least one more pass rushing DT. He was primarily a DT when he was drafted and the whole time Schwartz and Washburn have worked with him. The want speedy DEs not big run stuffers, they may try running something like Seattle on some obvious running downs but it's not going to be big part of their defense if they are truly staying with the wide-9.

March 12th, 2013, 5:40 pm
RIP Killer

But he wasn't just a DT in tenn.

March 12th, 2013, 5:51 pm
NFL Veteran

conversion02 wrote:

Never said he was, I'm not even saying your wrong that he's a bad DE in the wide-9, but he's not a DE in the wide-9. He is a DT that is lined up outside to create confusion or to run a different scheme when trying to defend the run. A lot of the time JJ was lined up outside in Tenn was with the DE moving inside. Washburn was always very creative with his alinements and I hope he brings some of that to the Lions.

Now what you did say and that made me post was that Jason Jones is not a wide-9 guy and that is wrong. He is a wide-9 guy and his previous seasons before going to Seattle prove that.

March 12th, 2013, 6:10 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Both Kruger and Ellerbee signed sub 10 mill/yr contracts, I hope this knocks some sense into Avril.

March 12th, 2013, 6:28 pm
NFL Veteran

DayDreamer wrote:
Both Kruger and Ellerbee signed sub 10 mill/yr contracts, I hope this knocks some sense into Avril.

You could make a case for comparing Kruger, but Ellerbe is an inside LB so his contract doesn't really matter to Avril's upcoming deal. Avril has also had 3 regular seasons equal or better to Kruger's only good regular season. Avril's got it lucky this year because there aren't really any guys near his age that are comparable in pass rushing stats.

March 12th, 2013, 6:38 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

mlive.com wrote:
Texans safety Glover Quin will visit Detroit Lions facility
Anwar S. Richardson | arichar2@mlive.com By Anwar S. Richardson | arichar2@mlive.com
on March 12, 2013 at 6:43 PM

The Detroit Lions will host Houston Texans safety Glover Quin in an attempt to possibly find a replacement for Louis Delmas in NFL free agency.

Quin will visit Detroit, along with free agent running back Reggie Bush, and the Lions will do their best to convince both men to stay. The addition of Quin would help a secondary in desperate need of a playmaker.

Prior to hitting the free agent market, Quin was a fourth-round selection by Houston in 2009. He played cornerback during his first two NFL seasons before being switched to safety. Last season, he ranked second on the team with 77 tackles (59 solo).

Overall, Quin has started in 44 of 47 career games, has 314 tackles (250 solo) and five interceptions in his four-year career. He has not missed a game in the past three NFL seasons, and only earned $565,000 in 2012.

Detroit could possibly lose Delmas, who plans to visit the St. Louis Rams. Delmas is close friends with defensive coordinator Tim Walton, who was the defensive backs coach in Detroit before accepting his new position this offseason.

March 12th, 2013, 7:03 pm
Team MVP

I would be very happen with signing Quin. Hope mayhew makes it happen.

On a side not, we have an offer for domenik Hixon.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 12th, 2013, 7:06 pm

and...............
mlive.com wrote:
Giants WR Domenik Hixon has contract offer from Detroit Lions
Anwar S. Richardson | arichar2@mlive.com By Anwar S. Richardson | arichar2@mlive.com
on March 12, 2013 at 5:59 PM

The Detroit Lions want New York Giants receiver Domenik Hixon.

It does not appear the feeling is mutual.

According to USA Today's Mike Garafolo, Hixon was offered a deal by Detroit during NFL free agency, but apparently is lukewarm about the prospects of joining the Lions and playing for coach Jim Schwartz.

"Giants WR Domenik Hixon received an offer from the Lions but has tabled it for now. Looking for a better opportunity."

That does not sound like a match made in heaven.

Detroit likely did not offer Hixon a contract that was lucrative enough to sign instantly, which explains why he rather test the NFL open market first.

Hixon was originally drafted by the Denver Broncos in 2006. He spent two years in Denver before being released and eventually signed by the New York Giants. He has 13 starts in six-year NFL career, plus 102 receptions, 1,405 receiving yards and six touchdowns.

In addition, Hixon was New York's primary returner in 2009, averaging 22.6 yards on kick returns and 15.1 yards a punt. He has returned one punt and a kickoff for a touchdown in his career.

March 12th, 2013, 7:07 pm

conversion02 wrote:

mlive.com wrote:
Defensive lineman Jason Jones visits with Detroit Lions as expected
Justin Rogers | jrogers@mlive.com By Justin Rogers | jrogers@mlive.com
on March 12, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Veteran Jason Jones is familiar with Detroit's pass rush scheme and could provide depth along the defensive line.

The Detroit Lions were in contact with free agent defensive lineman Jason Jones' representatives during the three-day negotiating period and the team brought the Detroit native in for a visit on Tuesday.

Jones played for the Seattle Seahawks last season after spending the previous four years with the Tennessee Titans. He was drafted by the team in 2008 when Lions coach Jim Schwartz was still with the Titans as defensive coordinator.

Jones also played under defensive line coach Jim Washburn from 2008-10. Washburn was recently hired by the Lions to assist with the defensive line in Detroit.

While Jones has played both defensive end and defensive tackle, he is far more effective working inside. The Lions are short-handed at both positions heading into free agency.

In five seasons, Jones has tallied 122 tackles, 18.5 sacks, seven forced fumbles and batted down 19 passes at the line of scrimmage.

March 12th, 2013, 7:10 pm
CMWSR wrote:
and...............
mlive.com wrote:
Giants WR Domenik Hixon has contract offer from Detroit Lions
on March 12, 2013 at 5:59 PM

The Detroit Lions want New York Giants receiver Domenik Hixon.

It does not appear the feeling is mutual.

According to USA Today's Mike Garafolo, Hixon was offered a deal by Detroit during NFL free agency, but apparently is lukewarm about the prospects of joining the Lions and playing for coach Jim Schwartz.

"Giants WR Domenik Hixon received an offer from the Lions but has tabled it for now. Looking for a better opportunity."

That does not sound like a match made in heaven.

Detroit likely did not offer Hixon a contract that was lucrative enough to sign instantly, which explains why he rather test the NFL open market first.

Hixon was originally drafted by the Denver Broncos in 2006. He spent two years in Denver before being released and eventually signed by the New York Giants. He has 13 starts in six-year NFL career, plus 102 receptions, 1,405 receiving yards and six touchdowns.

In addition, Hixon was New York's primary returner in 2009, averaging 22.6 yards on kick returns and 15.1 yards a punt. He has returned one punt and a kickoff for a touchdown in his career.

Hixon would be my #1 (reasonable) FA target, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Last year, coming off of a playoff year, was the year to try to sign sought after free agents.

I love how it specifically says that he doesn't want to play for Jim Schwartz.

March 12th, 2013, 7:21 pm
I have a bad feeling that Reggie Bush is going to be a Lions and we're going to have over-paid for him by the end of the business day tomorrow...

$25million/5 years

March 12th, 2013, 7:23 pm
QB Coach

I don't want Reggie Bush, unless he comes in around $2M a season. No we can't find the exact same back in the draft, but we can get a speed runner who can catch out of the backfield in the 3rd round or later.

I'd like Glover Quin to sign and for us to get Houston back. Hixon would be a solid #2 if he decides he wants to play here.

I was not excited to hear the reports about D Hall. He had a decent run in DC but I'd rather have Houston. I wouldn't hate the signing if we don't overpay. We'll see where he really ends up.

There is a glut of talent at the corner back position with tons of them getting released. We might even get 2 starters outta free agency.

March 12th, 2013, 7:29 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Hixon is a china doll that is likely looking for more upfront money in terms of a bigger signing bonus because he knows he is more than likely to get hurt. My cousin is a Giants fan and I remember seeing Hixon play in one of his first games and really liking the kid but then it seemed like every time I watched them he was either getting hurt or already hurt. He is a #3 or #4 that in a pinch can be a #2.

March 12th, 2013, 8:09 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

For those that want pure speed on the outside to take the top off of a defense Heyward-Bey was just released.

March 12th, 2013, 8:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next