View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 3rd, 2014, 3:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Various 2012 NFL Mock drafts. 
NFL Veteran

Post Re: Various 2012 NFL Mock drafts.
kdsberman wrote:
Mufasa wrote:
rao wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
rao wrote:
With the rumors that the Lions are thinking of moving Reiff to OG and the talk of his short arms(they are about an inch shorter then you would like) it sounds to me like his chance of being the LT have significantly gone down with the coaches. I don't think they will pass on Fisher for Ansah, but I do think they will take Ansah if both tackles are gone. I also think Mayhew showed he see's the need for a tackle since he tried to get one with Reiff. I don't think Reiff stops them from going tackle since they still feel he's filling one of the two other holes they have on the line and Reiffs versatility works in their favor if they have an injury at the LT spot, you can never have to many guys that can fill in at LT.

You don't? I do.

Why do you?

Mayhew has gone by his BPA strat in the first round every year so far. Though you can argue he's not good at determining who that player really is, I think it's pretty obvious Fisher is neck and neck with Joeckel who is looked at as the top prospect by many even after the combine. If Fisher or Joeckel make it to the Lions I see Mayhew considering those two as the BPA. I actually like Ziggy Ansah, but I can't imagine there is anyone that has an old or average LT that would have Ziggy ahead of the 2 OTs on their draft board. Mayhew has also yet to use a high pick on a DE and there have been good prospects available to him before. Maybe he didn't because he had Avril or maybe he prefers later round guys like Avril, I don't know so right now I'm going to believe he sees a huge need at LT and from the fact he took a LT over the best OG to come out in a while he really puts value on OTs.

Well said!

It is well said, but how come mayhew picked Reiff over DeCastro? Broyles over Konz? Titus over Torrey? That's BPA to u?

It doesn't need to be BPA to me. It's not my draft, it is Mayhew's and he along with his staff decide who is BPA by making their draft board. I also can't say that they use that philosophy for the whole draft, but it seems evident he uses it in the first round since he has taken multiple players that have fallen from the top of the draft if they made it to him.

I can't say I know the exact reasons they decided to put any player ahead of another. I think Reiff over Decastro was simply Mayhew's view on the value of the position and the fact that a tackle can frequently move to guard if they don't workout, but a guard has nowhere left to go. I would have still picked Decastro over Reiff, but it doesn't seem weird to me that someone would put more value in an OT over a OG. My guess on Broyles over Konz is they prefered to take a chance on the guy that is the all time receptions record holder in the NCAA over the the 315 pound guy with short arms that couldn't even lift more than Broyles at the combine. Konz was a liability all year for the Falcons and was only on the field because the two other players they tried before him didn't workout, he's weaker than Raiola. Titus over Torrey could have been that Titus was consistent in college getting separation and didn't drop passes where Torrey had trouble with his hands and getting separation consistently. I will also note it seems that Mayhew completely ignored off-field or injury issues and they didn't factor in at all, it also bit him in the badonkadonk every year so far.

So far Mayhew has seemed pretty consistent in his way of picking 1st rounders, so I don't see him passing on the 2 OTs. He has also consistently screwed the pouch on every pick after the 1st, so I have no confidence in those. I didn't want Mayhew or Schwartz back this year, but I still can see where Mayhew at least does an ok job.

March 8th, 2013, 8:42 pm
RIP Killer

rao wrote:
My guess on Broyles over Konz is they prefered to take a chance on the guy that is the all time receptions record holder in the NCAA over the the 315 pound guy with short arms that couldn't even lift more than Broyles at the combine. Konz was a liability all year for the Falcons and was only on the field because the two other players they tried before him didn't workout, he's weaker than Raiola. Titus over Torrey could have been that Titus was consistent in college getting separation and didn't drop passes where Torrey had trouble with his hands and getting separation consistently. I will also note it seems that Mayhew completely ignored off-field or injury issues and they didn't factor in at all, it also bit him in the badonkadonk every year so far.

I remember saying something extremely similar during the season and was pretty much called stupid by a certain individual...

March 13th, 2013, 12:34 am
NFL Veteran

conversion02 wrote:
rao wrote:
My guess on Broyles over Konz is they prefered to take a chance on the guy that is the all time receptions record holder in the NCAA over the the 315 pound guy with short arms that couldn't even lift more than Broyles at the combine. Konz was a liability all year for the Falcons and was only on the field because the two other players they tried before him didn't workout, he's weaker than Raiola. Titus over Torrey could have been that Titus was consistent in college getting separation and didn't drop passes where Torrey had trouble with his hands and getting separation consistently. I will also note it seems that Mayhew completely ignored off-field or injury issues and they didn't factor in at all, it also bit him in the badonkadonk every year so far.

I remember saying something extremely similar during the season and was pretty much called stupid by a certain individual...

I assume your talking about the Konz thing, at least you know you have another person agreeing this time.

I'm still expecting good things from Broyles, ACL's these days are more about the work ethic to get through the rehab and I see Broyles as a hard worker. Add to the fact he understands the rehab he should comeback ready to go. Broyles has never been a speed guy, so he will be just as good after as he was before which I thought was pretty damn good.

March 13th, 2013, 10:42 am
RIP Killer

Yes on Broyles. I liked him coming out. I agree there were better picks, but they needed a guy who could get open and actually run a damn good route. You don't have to have great speed if you can run great routes and have good footwork. Welker isn't a blazer and he catches 100 balls a year. Broyles is similar and I like that. You don't need a 4.25 40 guy if the OL can't hold up for 3 seconds or the guy can barely catch a cold. This team sorely missed that possession 3rd and 7 type of guy.

As far as Titus vs Torrey or the others, I was saying the same you were.

March 13th, 2013, 10:52 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

conversion02 wrote:
Broyles as well. I liked him coming out. I agree there were better picks, but they needed a guy who could get open and actually run a damn good route. You don't have to have great speed if you can run great routes and have good footwork. Welker isn't a blazer and he catches 100 balls a year. Broyles is similar and I like that. You don't need a 4.25 40 guy if the OL can't hold up for 3 seconds or the guy can barely catch a cold. This team sorely missed that possession 3rd and 7 type of guy.

Man i hope you guys are right and Broyles pays off. when I saw Kontz still there (after hearing how he was going to be our #1 pick all offseason) I was chomping at the bit and drooling. When they called Broyles name, I wont deny threw a hissy fit like an 8 year old girl!

I'll never claim that im a better judge of tallent than people getting paid to do the job, but i was disapointed with the pick. I ALMOST had to eat crow on that one with Nate huting himself and Titass being a retard, but then he got hurt too so...alas not yet. Maybe this year I'll get to enjoy that crow...I really hope so anyways.

March 13th, 2013, 11:04 am
rao wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
rao wrote:

I assume your talking about the Konz thing, at least you know you have another person agreeing this time.

I'm still expecting good things from Broyles, ACL's these days are more about the work ethic to get through the rehab and I see Broyles as a hard worker. Add to the fact he understands the rehab he should comeback ready to go. Broyles has never been a speed guy, so he will be just as good after as he was before which I thought was pretty damn good.

The bolded statement is the only way you can say Broyles was a better pick over Kontz for this team. Further, Kontz was playing out of position at OG learning the OL. He may be a weak OG, but he's NOT weaker than Raiola. Raiola's legs look like toothpicks, and Kontz is 20lbs heavier than Raiola.

Broyles is a route running possession guy. He's not what we need at #2 WR. NE gets away with Welker because their whole offense is build off of a mid-range game. They don't really have much of a deep threat, they just have a SH*TLOAD of mid-range threats and a very, very accurate Qb.

Broyles at #2 hampers our offense and our biggest offensive weapon. Sure, we'd love to have him out there on 3rd and 7, but CJ is going to be constantly doubled if he's our 2nd best WR.

March 13th, 2013, 11:11 am
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Sure, we'd love to have him out there on 3rd and 7, but CJ is going to be constantly doubled if he's our 2nd best WR.

CJ is pretty much always going to be double teamed, there are very few #2 WRs that will change that.

March 13th, 2013, 11:29 am
Profile WWW
Pablo wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Sure, we'd love to have him out there on 3rd and 7, but CJ is going to be constantly doubled if he's our 2nd best WR.

CJ is pretty much always going to be double teamed, there are very few #2 WRs that will change that.

Until we get a guy that can get down field it's a no brainer. Thereafter, it becomes much more difficult to do every down.

Get a speed guy, have CJ fake going deep, and run a post with the #2 and it should be nothing more than a pure footrace...

March 13th, 2013, 11:42 am
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
rao wrote:

The bolded statement is the only way you can say Broyles was a better pick over Kontz for this team. Further, Kontz was playing out of position at OG learning the OL. He may be a weak OG, but he's NOT weaker than Raiola. Raiola's legs look like toothpicks, and Kontz is 20lbs heavier than Raiola.

Broyles is a route running possession guy. He's not what we need at #2 WR. NE gets away with Welker because their whole offense is build off of a mid-range game. They don't really have much of a deep threat, they just have a SH*TLOAD of mid-range threats and a very, very accurate Qb.

Broyles at #2 hampers our offense and our biggest offensive weapon. Sure, we'd love to have him out there on 3rd and 7, but CJ is going to be constantly doubled if he's our 2nd best WR.

I never called Broyles a #2, he's a slot guy and possibly a top level one as long as he works hard in his rehab. They drafted Broyles as the 3rd guy to compliment what they had in TY and CJ. The offense runs on 3 WR sets and they could have made a top level trio. Mayhew thought last year he was just getting added firepower to a playoff team, he was way off on that, but adding the slot guy to TY and CJ wouldn't have been a bad idea if this was a real playoff team.

Just because Konz was playing out of position doesn't make him good and the way he looks doesn't change his short arms and weak bench numbers. He may play better at center, but he still was far from strong enough last year to start anywhere on a line last year. The Flacon's didn't want to start him, but they had to because he was all they had left. The Lions have yet to have a player visibly gain strength, so way would you think Konz would somehow come to Detroit and fix his deficiency?

March 13th, 2013, 11:46 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I hated the pick because of the spot not because of the player. I'd like it if he were a little bigger but Broyles is what I actually look for in a #2 WR. I like a guy that can get open and is going to catch it when it's thrown to him and a guy that you can feel comfortable in knowing he can get you 6 or 7 yds on a 1st down pass play. The Lions do need a speed guy to blow the top off the defense but he doesn't have to be the #2 WR.

March 13th, 2013, 12:02 pm
RIP Killer

My sentiment exactly sweet. I didn't like the pick, but not because of broyles or the 2nd rounder. I wasn't a fan because of the needs on the table and the players that were available. However, I agree with you on broyles in general and I think he'll be a great #2

March 13th, 2013, 3:06 pm
RIP Killer

I still think that Broyles was taken too early. I wanted the Lions to take him, but not until the fourth round. Now he has two questionable knees, which to me means he shouldn't be on the field full time as a #2 receiver. Broyles is better as a slot receiver. I rarely agree with wjb, but I do on this one. The Lions would be better served to get a downfield threat as their second receiver than a possession guy. Possession receivers are more easily covered by a single defender, and a DC rarely feels the need to pull someone else out of a zone or man cover role to help defend him. A deep threat will cause safeties to hesitate if they see him zoom past the corner. A DC seeing a deep threat getting open has to change his scheme. And since Detroit has a QB that can throw the ball around 80 yards in the air from a flat footed stance, his deep speed becomes an even more genuine threat and there is greater likelihood to take heat off CJ. We have the TEs and slot receivers we need to take advantage of deep fielding safeties and corners playing off. We need more guys with true deep speed. Preferably with some decent (6'2" or more) size.

March 18th, 2013, 8:56 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Let the craziness begin:

Quote:
2013 PFT mock draft, Version 1
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... draft-1-0/
Posted by Mike Florio on March 24, 2013, 10:12 PM EDT

Getty Images
It makes no sense to do mock drafts before free agency starts, even though everyone does. It makes somewhat less nonsense to do one two weeks into free agency, but things can still change until it’s time for the first pick to be made.

Then again, it arguably makes no sense to do mock drafts at all, since it’s inherently a crapshoot that gives the experts and those who think they are something to do.

It’s even more of a crapshoot in 2013.

But we’ll shoot the crap anyway, since we haven’t done it yet this year and plenty of you have been asking for us to do one.

Probably so that you can complain about how bad it is.

So complain away.

1. Chiefs: DE Dion Jordan, Oregon.

2. Jaguars: OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M.

3. Raiders: DT Sharrif Floyd, Florida.

4. Eagles: DT Sheldon Richardson, Missouri.

5. Lions: CB Desmond Trufant, Washington.

6. Browns: DE Ziggy Ansah, BYU.

7. Cardinals: DE Barkevious Mingo, LSU.

8. Bills: QB Matt Barkley, USC.

9. Jets: CB Dee Milliner, Alabama.

10. Titans: OG Chance Warmack, Alabama.

11. Chargers: OT Eric Fisher, Central Michigan.

12. Dolphins: OT Lane Johnson, Oklahoma.

13. Buccaneers: WR Tavon Austin, West Virginia.

14. Panthers: DT Star Lotulelei, Utah.

15. Saints: WR Keenan Allen, California.

16. Rams: OG Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina.

17. Steelers: RB Eddie Lacy, Alabama.

18. Cowboys: S Kenny Vaccaro, Texas.

19. Giants: DE Bjoern Werner, Florida State.

20. Bears: LB Jarvis Jones, Georgia.

21. Bengals: DT Sylvester Williams, North Carolina.

22. Rams (from Redskins): OT D.J. Fluker, Alabama.

23. Vikings: QB Geno Smith, West Virginia.

24. Colts: WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee.

25. Vikings (from Seahawks): LB Manti Te’o, Notre Dame.

26. Packers: TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame.

27. Texans: WR Deandre Hopkins, Clemson.

28. Broncos: S Matt Elam, Florida.

29. Patriots: CB Xavier Rhodes, Florida State.

30. Falcons: DE Cornellius Carradine, Florida State.

31. 49ers: NT John Jenkins, Georgia.

32. Ravens: OT Kyle Long, Oregon.

March 25th, 2013, 10:30 am
Team MVP

I read PFTs mock early this morning but quit reading it after the first 5 picks. Worst mock ive ever seen.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 25th, 2013, 12:24 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

wow either thats just awful, or NONE us have a clue how things are going to fall.

My vote is awful...

Trufant and not millner?

A premier guard going before (arguably) 2 premier OT's?

Where is the kid with the imaginary GF? M'Teo (sp?) I have YET to see a mock that didnt have him going first rd. the rumors I hear have him going to the bears if he is still there....but here he's not even going in the first?

them guys at PFT must have the GOOD smoke...they need to put it down and get some fresh air :ppp: :wink:

March 25th, 2013, 12:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next