View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 10:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 FA Day II 
Butkus Award Winner

Post Re: FA Day II
conversion02 wrote:
Give wjb about 30 seconds...

I'm hesitant about them all. I think bush rod should have been the #1 target all along. He costs about what backus does and is soooo much better. Bush at 4 years is scary. Not a fan of bush in general, especially at around $5M per. That money could have been much better spent on a CB, DE, S, or LB. all dire needs and not complementary pieces. Bush is a complementary piece and not a necessity.

Our defense flat out sucks now. Way too many unproven chumps in starting roles right now (Palmer, Bentley, young, etc), not to mention we barely have any DEs or S on the freaking roster!

Bushrod, aside from being younger, isn't much better than Backus. He's definitely not as good a pass blocker, but his run blocking is clearly better than Backus's. Who knows if Mayhew offered him a contract or not?

March 13th, 2013, 2:56 pm
Modmin Dude

March 13th, 2013, 2:57 pm
Modmin Dude

Might have to pump the breaks on Quin:

March 13th, 2013, 3:00 pm
RIP Killer

Shotty wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
Give wjb about 30 seconds...

I'm hesitant about them all. I think bush rod should have been the #1 target all along. He costs about what backus does and is soooo much better. Bush at 4 years is scary. Not a fan of bush in general, especially at around $5M per. That money could have been much better spent on a CB, DE, S, or LB. all dire needs and not complementary pieces. Bush is a complementary piece and not a necessity.

Our defense flat out sucks now. Way too many unproven chumps in starting roles right now (Palmer, Bentley, young, etc), not to mention we barely have any DEs or S on the freaking roster!

Bushrod, aside from being younger, isn't much better than Backus. He's definitely not as good a pass blocker, but his run blocking is clearly better than Backus's. Who knows if Mayhew offered him a contract or not?

I disagree about the pass blocking. With bull rushers, bushrod is better IMO. He's stronger and handles the bull rush much better. Backus has been a better speed rush blocker in the course of his career, when he had a decent LG next to him. He has always been dominated by the power guys like peppers or Allen.

March 13th, 2013, 3:01 pm
NFL Veteran

conversion02 wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
so who else is comming to visit? we still have a big need at DE and G/OT
Per Schwartz, Jones will play mostly DE

That's what I told rao...

Then it's a bad signing or they are doing what we were all hoping and are dropping the wide-9 as their primary formation for the dline. If he's playing mostly DE I would have to think they are only going to use the wide-9 on passing downs.

Last edited by rao on March 13th, 2013, 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

March 13th, 2013, 3:01 pm
RIP Killer

That's what I hope, but I agree with you 100%

March 13th, 2013, 3:02 pm
Varsity Captain

Is Quinn in or not?

March 13th, 2013, 3:10 pm
Team MVP

Boz wrote:
Is Quinn in or not?

Now apparently its a false report.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 13th, 2013, 3:13 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Major bummer, quin was the only 1 i was excited about.

Bush is ok but 4mil was too much, so if its 5 we overpaid.

the DT/DE is fine as our 3rd stringer, if its the right price and does signal an end to the w-9 as our default D config.

But Quin was the 1st thing that made me smile about the Lions in the past week, bummer if its incorrect and he doesnt sign.

March 13th, 2013, 3:15 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Butkus Award Winner

Positions of need remaining:

WR2: DHB would be what we need. Lengthy, can beat press, can run past any cornerback, can catch well, can take the top completely off defenses, and will be up against #2 CBs unlike in Oakland when he was facing teams' best cornerback. Other good ones are Dominik Hixon and maybe if he comes cheap Ted Ginn

T: Can be filled in the draft. If not, out of Fox/Hilliard/Backus/Reiff, I'm sure 2 will prove to be the best 2 and make at least a decent tackle tandem

G: Nagy/Sims will be here, maybe Reiff. Raiola stays starting at center

DE opposite Jason Jones: Ansah in the draft, or Willie Young, maybe Cliff if he decides to come back at a reasonable price

OLB: Levy was really coming to his own before his injury last year. Whitehead might start, maybe draft a guy in the 3rd. Many good OLBs this draft. Philip Wheeler would've been perfect, but Miami got him

SS: Speivey won't cut it but is pretty decent. If Delmas is resigned, he'll probably play here.

CB2, maybe 1: Bentley will suffice, but we can get a bargain free agent CB out of all the ones available or, of course, draft Milliner

If we can fill at least 5 of these, we'll be a playoff team next year.

Also, about Quin, his Wikipedia page is already changed to being a Lion. Take that however.

Last edited by Shotty on March 13th, 2013, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 13th, 2013, 3:18 pm
Modmin Dude

March 13th, 2013, 3:19 pm
Varsity Captain

That's what I read on NFL.com!

March 13th, 2013, 3:23 pm
Modmin Dude

March 13th, 2013, 3:25 pm
NFL Veteran

TheRealWags wrote:

Goldson $41M for 5yrs so I hope Quin was a lot less than that.

March 13th, 2013, 3:26 pm
Team MVP

Great signing!!!

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 13th, 2013, 3:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next