View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 4:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 FA Day II 
Varsity Captain

Post Re: FA Day II
Next? How about DE Michael Bennett, OG Willie Colon, WR Mohammed Massaquoi. Rumor has it that Landry left without a contract as did CB Cason.

Who is are 3rd starting linebacker, our 2nd Safety and 2nd Cornerback?

This has been a good day! Are Mayhew and Schwartz in custody somewhere?

March 13th, 2013, 3:46 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

No way. I think if the Lions make any more moves they will be just cheap options like Domenik Hixon.

March 13th, 2013, 3:50 pm
Modmin Dude

The numbers for Bush I'm seeing:
Quote:
Reggie Bush's 4-year, $16M deal has a $4M signing bonus. His '13 cap number is $2M.

March 13th, 2013, 3:51 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

See, this is what I'm talking about: totally fine taking BPA when you aggressively fill holes in free agency. Now we're really in a good spot sitting at #5.

Re: Bushrod--didn't he sign for about 7 per? I believe that's more than double what Backus will get this year. The Bears are also not sitting at 5 with there being a good chance a top flight OT will fall to them. I'd say we're ok in that respect.

Last edited by thelomasbrowns on March 13th, 2013, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 13th, 2013, 3:52 pm
3rd Round Selection

At first glance, this is going better than I expected.

Have to say I'm worried, though. Not to go all wjb on the thread, but, this does look to me like we have 2013 and 2014 to get to the big game, then it's another 2 or 3 year's rebuilding.

March 13th, 2013, 3:52 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Boz wrote:
Next? How about DE Michael Bennett, OG Willie Colon, WR Mohammed Massaquoi. Rumor has it that Landry left without a contract as did CB Cason.

Who is are 3rd starting linebacker, our 2nd Safety and 2nd Cornerback?

This has been a good day! Are Mayhew and Schwartz in custody somewhere?

I really, really like Bennett. He'd make our run defense a lot less "soft". Colon would be good, but I think we like Nagy at RG. Massaquoi would also be good, but I like DHB most because of his speed. A big-body WR2 wouldn't hurt, though. Landry is injury-prone and not better than Glover Quin and Cason is good and would've started at CB2 if signed, but we'll be fine without him.

3rd LB is Whitehead if he impresses, maybe Travis Lewis, or we'll draft one. I think Erin Henderson from Minny is a guy we should look at. If not, there are some good OLBs to be had in the draft. 2nd safety is Delmas if he comes back, which according to Adam Schefter is a strong possibility. If not, maybe Spievey. At this point, 2nd CB is a battle between Bentley/Jonte/Greenwood, and anyone we draft.

March 13th, 2013, 3:54 pm
Butkus Award Winner

UK Lion wrote:

Have to say I'm worried, though. Not to go all wjb on the thread, but, this does look to me like we have 2013 and 2014 to get to the big game, then it's another 2 or 3 year's rebuilding.

Maybe, but if Suh is traded after this upcoming season, that won't even be a worry. We'll get a great pick and free up cap space for years to come.

March 13th, 2013, 3:55 pm
Team MVP

Shotty wrote:
UK Lion wrote:

Maybe, but if Suh is traded after this upcoming season, that won't even be a worry. We'll get a great pick and free up cap space for years to come.

Well lets hope we wont have to trade Suh. Like it or not, he is good and that would suck having to fill his shoes.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 13th, 2013, 3:58 pm
Butkus Award Winner

kdsberman wrote:
Shotty wrote:
UK Lion wrote:

Well lets hope we wont have to trade Suh. Like it or not, he is good and that would suck having to fill his shoes.

No doubt. I love him and think he's already the best 4-3 DT in the league, but we're not getting rid of Staff or Calvin. I only wouldn't mind him staying if he agrees to a contract worth no more than $14 million a year. On the other hand, Fairley is a beast and will only get better moving forward, and I'm sure Suh could be replaced at a reasonable price.

March 13th, 2013, 4:01 pm
QB Coach

TheRealWags wrote:
Quote:
Reggie Bush's 4-year, $16M deal has a $4M signing bonus. His '13 cap number is $2M.

Quote:
Seven years ago, Reggie Bush’s status as the No. 2 overall pick in the draft resulted in a mammoth contract.

Today, Bush did as well as he could, given the market for the position he plays.

Per a source with knowledge of the deal, Bush signed a four-year, $16 million contract with the Lions. The deal includes a $4 million signing bonus and a $1 million base salary in 2013, a $3.5 million base salary in 2014, a $3.25 million base salary and a $250,000 roster bonus in 2015, and a $3.75 million base salary and $250,000 roster bonus in 2016.

The cap charges in 2013 will be only $2 million. Next year, it moves to $4.5 million. In 2015, it will be $4.5 million again, with a cap number of $5 million in 2016.

For a veteran running back who isn’t among the very best tailbacks in the game, it’s a solid deal. The market typically is in the range of $3 million; Bush got $1 million more, on average.

While it's a bit more than I valued him at, I'm actually ok with the deal. Can't wait to see the breakdowns for Houston, Quin and Jones.

March 13th, 2013, 4:03 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

TheRealWags wrote:
Quote:

Id rather have seen 3-3.5/yr, but im not going to freak out, its not a bad deal for either side.

And knowing that we did confirm (right?) that we got Quin makes me feel better.

So Far decent job Mayhew.

March 13th, 2013, 4:12 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Modmin Dude

ESPN wrote:
Glover Quin: A verastile, durable safety
March, 13, 2013
By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

The Detroit Lions sandwiched Wednesday's marquee free-agent signing -- running back Reggie Bush -- with two defensive players whose names only the most hard-core NFL fans would recognize. We've already discussed the addition of defensive lineman Jason Jones, whom coach Jim Schwartz would focus mostly at defensive end, so now let's introduce ourselves to safety Glover Quin.

Quin agreed to terms Wednesday shortly after Jones and Bush. He doesn't fit the full profile that general manager Martin Mayhew outlined in January for his defensive additions, having intercepted five passes and forcing three fumbles in four years as a starter for the Houston Texans. But he has experience playing cornerback and both safety positions, and in a notable departure from his predecessors, Quin has missed only one game in his NFL career.

Louis Delmas, who is attracting interest from the St. Louis Rams and might not return, missed 13 games over the past two years.

In all, the Lions signed four important players Wednesday when you include the return of cornerback Chris Houston on a five-year deal. They created cap room for at least a portion of this haul by restructuring the contract of defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, and they could conceivably create more if they sign quarterback Matthew Stafford to a contract extension.

Teams don't make the playoffs in March, and the league doesn't hand out awards for the most active teams in free agency. All teams would prefer to rely on drafted players, but that goal is realistic only for a few. The Lions had too many roster holes, and too small of a window, to avoid a deep dive into free agency.

Put it this way: They have a better chance to make the playoffs now than they did two days ago. That's the most you can ask on March 13.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... ble-safety
Also seeing reports that Delmas might be back...if only he could stay healthy

March 13th, 2013, 4:36 pm
Varsity Captain

I can't understand all the urgency to get rid of Suh. Apparently we are ok with the cap. I don't understand how it works with the salaries of players that leave, Gos, Avril and Delmas (maybe) do we have that money available or does it just go up in smoke.(CRog would know). I know that we could get some good picks for him, but if it looks like we re doing it out of desperation Jerry Jones might not even talk to us.

The problem is our history with using draft picks wisely is not our strong suit. Why give up a known entity for the chance to try for draft picks that may cost less but if we get a bust or two, then we have basically given away argueably the best DT in the league.

We need our stars and we will have to pay to get and keep them. We start backing off now we are in a permanent rebuilding mode. How the hell some of these teams end up going to the SB, having 14 picks in the draft and be $35mil under the cap just totally bewilders me.

I could be totally confused, but if they traded Suh, CJ or Matty my bypass would be fot naught.

March 13th, 2013, 4:40 pm
NFL Veteran

Boz wrote:
I can't understand all the urgency to get rid of Suh. Apparently we are ok with the cap. I don't understand how it works with the salaries of players that leave, Gos, Avril and Delmas (maybe) do we have that money available or does it just go up in smoke.(CRog would know). I know that we could get some good picks for him, but if it looks like we re doing it out of desperation Jerry Jones might not even talk to us.

The problem is our history with using draft picks wisely is not our strong suit. Why give up a known entity for the chance to try for draft picks that may cost less but if we get a bust or two, then we have basically given away argueably the best DT in the league.

We need our stars and we will have to pay to get and keep them. We start backing off now we are in a permanent rebuilding mode. How the hell some of these teams end up going to the SB, having 14 picks in the draft and be $35mil under the cap just totally bewilders me.

I could be totally confused, but if they traded Suh, CJ or Matty my bypass would be fot naught.

The players that don't have contracts are not counted when you here people talking about available cap space. Most players salaries go up each year of their contract, so just because you have players leaving it doesn't mean your going to get a lot of cap space. You may have 5 players leaving saving you $20M, but the 40 other players on the roster may cost an extra $15M because of increasing salaries on their contracts.

The problem with Suh is every year he restructures he helps the team for just that year, but the closer you get to the end of his deal the less he will be willing to help and the previous restructures make him an even bigger cap problem. If the Lions don't start hitting on their non-first round draft picks they won't be able to afford giving Suh an extension while keeping good players at other positions.

March 13th, 2013, 5:06 pm
Team MVP

Boz wrote:

No one wants to get rid of Suh. Its just the idea that we are tied up in 3 players: Staff, Calvin, and Suh. Of those three, you cant take away Stafford and Calvin. Its the fact of paying a DT that much money. Chances are we arent going to be able to re-sign him anyway, so thats where the talk is coming from, doing something sooner rather than losing out like we did on Avril.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 13th, 2013, 5:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next