View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 8:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post your realistic perfect 2013 Lions draft scenario 
Butkus Award Winner

Post Re: Post your realistic perfect 2013 Lions draft scenario
wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Ferris wrote:
5th overall - Chance Warmarck OG - Alabama
36th overall - Barrett Jones OC - Alabama

Some might say Warmack is a reach at 5, but ill be honest I would love this scenario.

If we draft Warmack at 5 I would be disappointed with Jones in the 2nd round.

I'm all for taking an OT, or even Warmack at the top of the first, but there is some good, cheap D talent waiting there in the 2nd. I think we could get better value out of a CB, DE, S, or even LB in the 2nd if one falls. Additioanlly, IMO a true #2 WR would make a bigger impact on our offense than drafting Jones.

We have a litany of interior linemen, with Nagy, Raiola (he's likely going to play the year), Sims, the would be addition of Warmack, and the possibility that they may be looking at Reiff as an interior OL man. Heck, at that point, even a tier 2 OT would be be better than an OC, even if Jones is "the man" at the position.

Would you be happy with trading down to #8-10, acquiring a 2nd and 3rd round pick, and getting Lane Johnson in the first and 4 defenders with the 2 2nd and 3rd round picks? Basically Lane Johnson then BPA defense until the 4th.

March 12th, 2013, 3:19 pm
Team MVP

Shotty wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Ferris wrote:

Some might say Warmack is a reach at 5, but ill be honest I would love this scenario.

I'm all for taking an OT, or even Warmack at the top of the first, but there is some good, cheap D talent waiting there in the 2nd. I think we could get better value out of a CB, DE, S, or even LB in the 2nd if one falls. Additioanlly, IMO a true #2 WR would make a bigger impact on our offense than drafting Jones.

We have a litany of interior linemen, with Nagy, Raiola (he's likely going to play the year), Sims, the would be addition of Warmack, and the possibility that they may be looking at Reiff as an interior OL man. Heck, at that point, even a tier 2 OT would be be better than an OC, even if Jones is "the man" at the position.

Would you be happy with trading down to #8-10, acquiring a 2nd and 3rd round pick, and getting Lane Johnson in the first and 4 defenders with the 2 2nd and 3rd round picks? Basically Lane Johnson then BPA defense until the 4th.

Id be OK with this, as long as they are 100% positive Johnson can play LT. AND as long as Mayhew doesnt blow those acquired picks on running backs and freakin wide receivers.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 12th, 2013, 3:36 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Ferris wrote:

While I'm all for improving, and getting younger on our O-line (Fisher or Joeckel) at 5. I would be shocked and dismayed if we spend a premier pick on a Guard. Same goes for Jones at 36. He's currently carrying a 3rd round grade, and that may be generous. Sure, he has the ability to play several positions, and that increases his value. But, the injury diminishes it. Agree with wjb, adding a receiver or help on the defense in the 2nd makes the most sense.
At 5 it is my belief the Lions will choose one of the following:

Eric Fisher
Luke Joeckel
Dee Milliner
Ziggy Ansah
Jarvis Jones
Barkevious Mingo

March 12th, 2013, 3:37 pm
Team MVP

Ok guys, we filled some holes here. Running back is set. Safety is upgraded. We added a DE. Houston is re-signed. We should have a better picture on the draft now. I understand FA is early yet, but we've splashed early too.

My opinion? I say we still grab one of the OTs, move up if we have to. Make the Bush signing more productive with some better blocking.

If not, its hard to argue Dee Milliner. I think we could comfortably say we would have a "good" secondary, especially if we can shore up that other safety spot. Houston, Milliner, Bentley as nickel, Quin..

If not that, shore up the D-end spot with Ansah or Werner.

Or, trade down and take Vacarro to give us the best duo of safeties we've had in a long long time.

I find it very hard that the Lions can screw this up.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

March 13th, 2013, 3:53 pm
RIP Killer

Still have a gaping holes for starters at
DE
RG
OLB
CB
S

I like Bentley, but I'd rather have a guy proven #2 starter come in. Those guys get hurt regularly. Need good depth. Greenwood and Green are inexperienced and unproven depth. I don't like green as the nickel back.

Depth at
OL
DE
CB
S

Speivey is depth only, need another starter, unless delmas comes back.

March 13th, 2013, 4:00 pm
Butkus Award Winner

conversion02 wrote:
Still have a gaping holes for starters at
DE
RG
OLB
CB
S

I like Bentley, but I'd rather have a guy proven #2 starter come in. Those guys get hurt regularly. Need good depth. Greenwood and Green are inexperienced and unproven depth. I don't like green as the nickel back.

Depth at
OL
DE
CB
S

Speivey is depth only, need another starter, unless delmas comes back.

DE: Ansah/Werner in the 1st round
RG: Nagy - Had very good showing in Dallas as a rookie before getting injured
OLB: 3rd round pick or Whitehead (who coaches were high on during OTAs)
CB: Early 2nd round CB/Bentley
S: Delmas

How would you say this would be for filling in the dire needs?

March 13th, 2013, 4:04 pm
League MVP

pretty sure Nagy is set to be our next ceneter if all goes well. With Dom's paycut, it sounds like they are ready to make the move this year...

March 13th, 2013, 4:09 pm
Team MVP

regularjoe12 wrote:
pretty sure Nagy is set to be our next ceneter if all goes well. With Dom's paycut, it sounds like they are ready to make the move this year...

I really like Travis Frederick from Wisconsin to be our center.

March 13th, 2013, 4:15 pm
Butkus Award Winner

If we get Joeckel/Fisher/Lane Johnson and they're our definite LT, what happens to the line? Maybe Fox at RT, Sims at LG, Reiff at RG, and Nagy at C?

March 13th, 2013, 4:23 pm
Team MVP

Shotty wrote:
If we get Joeckel/Fisher/Lane Johnson and they're our definite LT, what happens to the line? Maybe Fox at RT, Sims at LG, Reiff at RG, and Nagy at C?

Id take it. That would be a young line, with time to really build chemistry.

March 13th, 2013, 4:29 pm
1st Round Pick

Shotty wrote:

Fox is the least likely guy on the line to start this year, he has the least experience out of all the guys. Right now the line is probably Backus LT Sims LG Raiola C Reiff RG Hilliard RT with Nagy backing up at G/C and Fox the back up Tackle. They also have a practice squad OG they like to help on the interior and I'm sure they will draft or at least sign another OT. Drafting Fisher or Joeckel probably just pushes Backus out of the starting spot.

March 13th, 2013, 4:32 pm
Position Coach

Now that FA has finally taken place

rd1: Ziggy Ansah, DE BYU
I really liked the Jones signing but I'm not quite comfortable with Young starting without having to compete for it in camp

rd2: Eric Ried , S LSU
he gets too aggressive(mostly because you have to be in the SEC) at times but TAKES GOOD ANGLES and I've always seen him as great QB of the back 7. The combined football IQ of him and Quin jr. would be very high. If he's gone, I take travis Fredrick(C from Wisconsin) and grab Bacarri Rambo in the 3rd.

rd3: Robert Alford CB, SELouissiana
A taller Tyrann Matthew who won't be a headache. Really good returner and probably has better ball skills than any of our current CBs.

trade back up into the 4th get Barrett Jones. I think that we will be annoyingly free with future draft picks because Mayhew and Schwartz know that they may not be here in the future.

rd5: Johnathan Hankins DT, OSU
cant trust Fairley long term, allows us to be creative with Suh

rd6: Denard Robinson. If he's gone, I'd take Ace Sanders(and give him #20).

My dream draft scenario:
We trade Jahvid Best to the Cowboys for a 1st, 3rd, and a 5th.

March 14th, 2013, 6:13 am
Team MVP

Killwill25 wrote:
Now that FA has finally taken place

rd1: Ziggy Ansah, DE BYU
I really liked the Jones signing but I'm not quite comfortable with Young starting without having to compete for it in camp

rd2: Eric Ried , S LSU
he gets too aggressive(mostly because you have to be in the SEC) at times but TAKES GOOD ANGLES and I've always seen him as great QB of the back 7. The combined football IQ of him and Quin jr. would be very high. If he's gone, I take travis Fredrick(C from Wisconsin) and grab Bacarri Rambo in the 3rd.

rd3: Robert Alford CB, SELouissiana
A taller Tyrann Matthew who won't be a headache. Really good returner and probably has better ball skills than any of our current CBs.

trade back up into the 4th get Barrett Jones. I think that we will be annoyingly free with future draft picks because Mayhew and Schwartz know that they may not be here in the future.

rd5: Johnathan Hankins DT, OSU
cant trust Fairley long term, allows us to be creative with Suh

rd6: Denard Robinson. If he's gone, I'd take Ace Sanders(and give him #20).

My dream draft scenario:
We trade Jahvid Best to the Cowboys for a 1st, 3rd, and a 5th.

Im glad you said "Dream", because you'd have to be dreaming for that happen lol.

IMO, i dont think Hankins lasts til the 5th, but hey ya never know.

I do believe though that it will be very likely a solid safety will be there at our 2nd round pick. And I think it would be wise for them to take one.

I think with our first round pick, we really have to consider taking a DE. Ansah looks good. I really like Werner, but his stock has dropped for some reason I dont know, bottom line hes a good football player. But I think Ansah is going to be the pick if hes there. I think letting this d-line become a weakness will really kill us. Im thinking realistically here guys, I hardly believe Joeckel or Fisher are going to be there at 5.

March 14th, 2013, 7:40 am
Heisman Winner

rao wrote:
Shotty wrote:

Fox is the least likely guy on the line to start this year, he has the least experience out of all the guys. Right now the line is probably Backus LT Sims LG Raiola C Reiff RG Hilliard RT with Nagy backing up at G/C and Fox the back up Tackle. They also have a practice squad OG they like to help on the interior and I'm sure they will draft or at least sign another OT. Drafting Fisher or Joeckel probably just pushes Backus out of the starting spot.

I can't promise you I am right, but I think the Lions plan to play both Fox and Reiff at tackle this year. I think Backus retiring leaves them wondering at RG, but they didn't let Cherilus go with no plan. They knew JB might retire, so they felt they had 2 OT on the roster who could play I think. That leaves Nagy somewhere inside. I would like to see a C drafted sometime soon, maybe the kid from Cal later in rd 3-5 or so.

March 14th, 2013, 10:34 pm
Heisman Winner

liontrax wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Ferris wrote:

While I'm all for improving, and getting younger on our O-line (Fisher or Joeckel) at 5. I would be shocked and dismayed if we spend a premier pick on a Guard. Same goes for Jones at 36. He's currently carrying a 3rd round grade, and that may be generous. Sure, he has the ability to play several positions, and that increases his value. But, the injury diminishes it. Agree with wjb, adding a receiver or help on the defense in the 2nd makes the most sense.
At 5 it is my belief the Lions will choose one of the following:

Eric Fisher
Luke Joeckel
Dee Milliner
Ziggy Ansah
Jarvis Jones
Barkevious Mingo

I would not be opposed to Warmack at 5 if he grades out to NFL scouts as good as he looks to me. He looks ELITE. Those guys command 8 million a year inside. If that is what he really is, who cares how early you picked him? Would you take Steve Hutchinson at #5 to play OG for 12 years? Or pass and take Backus for 12 years at LT? You would not be cheated by either player in that example, given the number of games they played over time. If he is a pro bowler early, he is worth that slot. The Lions have trouble running. Warmack would change the team, and play every offensive play. Like I said before, get me someone at #5 who moves the bottom line of the team. It makes me wonder when people push so hard to draft Calvin Johnson at #2 and pay him the moon to keep him at a position that is non critical, yet balk at Guards, centers, DTs and others who impact each and every play. Good guards are like sex and air, it's not all important until you don't have any...

March 14th, 2013, 10:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next