View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 8:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 FA Day II 
Varsity Captain

Post Re: FA Day II
Maybe if we beg, Mulbach will take a pay cut...lol Thanks for the info as far as Suh goes. Now I can spend the next couple of days trying to figure this out.

The thing is if Suh, Stafford and CJ have garunteed( I know that's spelled wrong but it looks fine on my screen) money on their contracts, it seems like we could extend them into retirerment. All I know is that we went from not having crap for cap space to signing a bunch of nice players. I'm just hoping we're not done.

March 13th, 2013, 5:25 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I like the Bush signing with the low signing bonus it makes it easier to dump him if his play slacks off. Quin is solid and gives the Lions another option to drop down and cover a receiver in the middle of the field. If Jones is suppose to be KVB's replacement he might be a slight upgrade but more likely a lateral move. Houston is solid and a good re-sign but would have liked him at a little lower cost. As far as the Bushrod mention I read earlier he has actually been one of the worst OTs as far as allowing QB pressure.

March 13th, 2013, 7:05 pm
QB Coach

Quote:
No news is bad news for Cliff Avril
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 13, 2013, 6:55 PM EDT
Cliff Avril AP

In the weeks leading up to the start of free agency, former Lions defensive end Cliff Avril was so giddy about his prospects that he suggested he might get a contract comparable to the enormous deal that Mario Williams signed with the Bills last year.

That’s not happening.

In fact, it doesn’t look like much of anything is happening for Avril right now: Although he was widely regarded as one of the top free agents this year, and although there were reports before free agency started of several teams being interested, we’ve yet to hear a single report that any team has made Avril a solid offer.

That has to be disappointing for Avril. Although it’s still possible that some team will blow him away with a huge contract, usually when that happens, that huge contract is on the table within the first 24 hours of the start of free agency. That doesn’t appear to be the case for Avril.

One problem for Avril is that there’s a glut of defensive ends on the market: Teams don’t think they need to go hog wild for Avril when Michael Bennett, Osi Umenyiora, Dwight Freeney, John Abraham, Israel Idonije, Matt Shaughnessy and Lawrence Jackson are available, not to mention the fact that Elvis Dumervil is expected to get cut by the Broncos this week. If a defensive end is what you’re looking for, there are a lot of choices available.

Avril may end up making the most money of any of those defensive ends on the market. But he’s not going to be in the Mario Williams neighborhood.

Is it possible we'll actually get him to come back for less than we offered last year? I wonder what our final offer, if any, was before free agency started.

March 13th, 2013, 7:22 pm
QB Coach

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
The numbers for Bush I'm seeing:
Quote:
Reggie Bush's 4-year, $16M deal has a $4M signing bonus. His '13 cap number is $2M.

Quote:
Seven years ago, Reggie Bush’s status as the No. 2 overall pick in the draft resulted in a mammoth contract.

Today, Bush did as well as he could, given the market for the position he plays.

Per a source with knowledge of the deal, Bush signed a four-year, $16 million contract with the Lions. The deal includes a $4 million signing bonus and a $1 million base salary in 2013, a $3.5 million base salary in 2014, a $3.25 million base salary and a $250,000 roster bonus in 2015, and a $3.75 million base salary and $250,000 roster bonus in 2016.

The cap charges in 2013 will be only $2 million. Next year, it moves to $4.5 million. In 2015, it will be $4.5 million again, with a cap number of $5 million in 2016.

For a veteran running back who isn’t among the very best tailbacks in the game, it’s a solid deal. The market typically is in the range of $3 million; Bush got $1 million more, on average.

While it's a bit more than I valued him at, I'm actually ok with the deal. Can't wait to see the breakdowns for Houston, Quin and Jones.

The numbers on Jones are in. 3 years $9.5M with a $2.5M signing bonus. No word on the breakdown, but if I had to guess his first year cap hit is going to come in somewhere about $2-$2.5M, $3-3.5M second year and $4M third year. Not too bad.

March 13th, 2013, 7:33 pm

I think Avril and his agent forgot teams don't just look at the stat line but they also look at the game tape. When you go back and watch Avril he's not dynamic in any way. His get off isn't elite, his pass rush consist of beating RTs around the corner, and is a liability against the run. If he gets a $7 million a year deal he should jump all over it because he just isn't worth anything more if even that much.

March 13th, 2013, 7:35 pm

Another good deal with a signing bonus that won't crush the team if they feel the need to move or cut Jones before his contract is up.

March 13th, 2013, 7:36 pm

Kerry Rhodes just released could be a nice two year player at a value price to play along side Quin. I remember wanting the Lions to bring him in when the Jets let him walk.

March 13th, 2013, 7:48 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

The Bush addition gets us back to where we were before we lost Best. Quin is a huge get. Jones is the type of DE I like to see the Lions add, 6-5 278lbs. a DE with some sand in his pants, not a tweener.

March 13th, 2013, 8:06 pm
liontrax wrote:
The Bush addition gets us back to where we were before we lost Best. Quin is a huge get. Jones is the type of DE I like to see the Lions add, 6-5 278lbs. a DE with some sand in his pants, not a tweener.

I don't disagree with this, but I think we could have, and should have looked for someone cheaper (Chris Ivory) or someone in the draft.

I don't mind the Jones pickup, but I'm not as excited about it as some. I still don't think he has the speed to play DE in the wide 9. You're still talking about a guy that has averaged less than 4 sacks for the last three years, and has never had more than 5 sacks in his career. I see him as more of a LoJack clone than a KVB clone.

March 13th, 2013, 8:10 pm
QB Coach

Avril deal with Seattle is for 2 years. No word on money yet.

March 13th, 2013, 8:12 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Avril signs with Seattle.

March 13th, 2013, 8:14 pm
1st Round Pick

liontrax wrote:

Haha, I know what you mean when you say he's not a tweener, but I still find it funny because he is a tweener. He's a DE/DT tweener not a LB/DE tweener.

If he's got his speed back from when he came into the league he'll be great if he doesn't it's gonna look like old KVB is still out there.

They still desperately need to find a pure pass rusher though because this defense doesn't work with guys like Jones on both sides and I don't think Young or Lewis can be starters yet.

March 13th, 2013, 8:17 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

wjb21ndtown wrote:
liontrax wrote:

I don't disagree with this, but I think we could have, and should have looked for someone cheaper (Chris Ivory) or someone in the draft.

I don't mind the Jones pickup, but I'm not as excited about it as some. I still don't think he has the speed to play DE in the wide 9. You're still talking about a guy that has averaged less than 4 sacks for the last three years, and has never had more than 5 sacks in his career. I see him as more of a LoJack clone than a KVB clone.

I'm trying to look at the positives wjb. Bush is better than anybody we could draft, and at the highpoint of his career. But, I feel his addition won't mean as much if we don't improve the O-line, whether it be thru the draft or FA. As for Jones, he'll be part of the rotation at DE, and in my mind, a solid replacement for KVB. Believe we'll be looking to draft a DE early (1st to 3rd).

March 13th, 2013, 8:23 pm
1st Round Pick

wjb21ndtown wrote:
liontrax wrote:

You should look at KVB's stats, most of his seasons are 4-5 sacks. KVB had two really good years and was never a real sack artist, he just put constant pressure on every down. Also Jones stats are not a good representation of what he'll do at DE since he got them in Tenn as a DT and was hurt the entire season for Seattle.

They got Jones cheap and I'll be fine with him on one end if they get an actual pass rusher on the other. I can't see them getting Jones to be their primary DE.

March 13th, 2013, 8:28 pm

Avril supposedly signed for 2 yr - $15 million total

Ooops for him. Is this an Oops for us?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/90497 ... ing-source

Personally I think he will do about the same in Seattles system as he did for the Lions. and hes prob worth 7.5m/yr. Its 2 yrs cuz he obv wants 1 more shot at FA before hes out of his "Prime" and hes willing to try toprove it for 2 more yrs. But he coulda had 3 yr 30 mill last offseason, and prob should have taken it.

March 13th, 2013, 8:54 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next