View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 2:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 FA Day II 
Butkus Award Winner

Post Re: FA Day II
DJ-B wrote:
Avril supposedly signed for 2 yr - $15 million total

Ooops for him. Is this an Oops for us?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/90497 ... ing-source

Personally I think he will do about the same in Seattles system as he did for the Lions. and hes prob worth 7.5m/yr. Its 2 yrs cuz he obv wants 1 more shot at FA before hes out of his "Prime" and hes willing to try toprove it for 2 more yrs. But he coulda had 3 yr 30 mill last offseason, and prob should have taken it.

I'm very happy he turned down that deal last year. Wish him the best of luck in Seattle. That's just about what he's worth.

March 13th, 2013, 8:57 pm
RIP Killer

Lol, Avril is a turd. I hope he sucks in Seattle and flames out. He's me first and was always singled up, never seeing a double team. Product of the system IMO.

March 13th, 2013, 9:26 pm
NFL Veteran

He may still do well in Seattle. He will be their "Leo" position meaning he will be singled most of the time playing out wide from the rest of the Dline. It's probably the closest he's going to get to playing in the wide-9.

If Seattle lets Clemons go because of this and his injury I hope the Lions check in on him. He would probably fit in real well if his knee heals well and he gets his speed back. Clemons is already 31, so he's probably done but if he's cheap he'd be a nice guy to take a look at.

March 13th, 2013, 9:35 pm
Veteran General Manager

Boz wrote:
I can't understand all the urgency to get rid of Suh. Apparently we are ok with the cap. I don't understand how it works with the salaries of players that leave, Gos, Avril and Delmas (maybe) do we have that money available or does it just go up in smoke.(CRog would know). I know that we could get some good picks for him, but if it looks like we re doing it out of desperation Jerry Jones might not even talk to us.

The problem is our history with using draft picks wisely is not our strong suit. Why give up a known entity for the chance to try for draft picks that may cost less but if we get a bust or two, then we have basically given away argueably the best DT in the league.

We need our stars and we will have to pay to get and keep them. We start backing off now we are in a permanent rebuilding mode. How the hell some of these teams end up going to the SB, having 14 picks in the draft and be $35mil under the cap just totally bewilders me.

I could be totally confused, but if they traded Suh, CJ or Matty my bypass would be fot naught.

You aren't alone. All we have to do is keep pushing the payday on Suh and Stafford down the road until 2015 when the cap will explode from the new TV money. At that time we can take nearly all of the new cap space for 1 year and restructure both of them into cap friendly deals after the 1st year of the new deal. Give them both a massive 1st year roster bonus to eat up all the cap unfriendliness.

March 13th, 2013, 10:22 pm
NFL Veteran

BillySims wrote:
Boz wrote:
I can't understand all the urgency to get rid of Suh. Apparently we are ok with the cap. I don't understand how it works with the salaries of players that leave, Gos, Avril and Delmas (maybe) do we have that money available or does it just go up in smoke.(CRog would know). I know that we could get some good picks for him, but if it looks like we re doing it out of desperation Jerry Jones might not even talk to us.

The problem is our history with using draft picks wisely is not our strong suit. Why give up a known entity for the chance to try for draft picks that may cost less but if we get a bust or two, then we have basically given away argueably the best DT in the league.

We need our stars and we will have to pay to get and keep them. We start backing off now we are in a permanent rebuilding mode. How the hell some of these teams end up going to the SB, having 14 picks in the draft and be $35mil under the cap just totally bewilders me.

I could be totally confused, but if they traded Suh, CJ or Matty my bypass would be fot naught.

You aren't alone. All we have to do is keep pushing the payday on Suh and Stafford down the road until 2015 when the cap will explode from the new TV money. At that time we can take nearly all of the new cap space for 1 year and restructure both of them into cap friendly deals after the 1st year of the new deal. Give them both a massive 1st year roster bonus to eat up all the cap unfriendliness.

Suh can walk in 2015 leaving the Lions with a $9M bill and nothing to show for it. They now need to extend him before 2015 and he can no longer be traded without screwing over the team because of the restructured money.

March 13th, 2013, 10:31 pm
Butkus Award Winner

rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Boz wrote:

Suh can walk in 2015 leaving the Lions with a $9M bill and nothing to show for it. They now need to extend him before 2015 and he can no longer be traded without screwing over the team because of the restructured money.

How much would you estimate he'd ask for on a new contract?

March 13th, 2013, 10:32 pm
Veteran General Manager

DJ-B wrote:
Avril supposedly signed for 2 yr - $15 million total

Ooops for him. Is this an Oops for us?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/90497 ... ing-source

Personally I think he will do about the same in Seattles system as he did for the Lions. and hes prob worth 7.5m/yr. Its 2 yrs cuz he obv wants 1 more shot at FA before hes out of his "Prime" and hes willing to try toprove it for 2 more yrs. But he coulda had 3 yr 30 mill last offseason, and prob should have taken it.

I was thinking about a 2 year deal for Cliff before I heard he signed today. Before he signed, I was thinking we might be able to get him on a 2 year deal due to his lack of action thus far. Why a 2 year? Few teams have any money. And few will have any money until the new TV contracts kick in in 2 years.

If he gets 35 sacks in the next 2 years, he will be a very rich man in 2 years.

March 13th, 2013, 10:36 pm
NFL Veteran

Shotty wrote:
rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Boz wrote:

How much would you estimate he'd ask for on a new contract?

I'd have to assume he'd want no less than $12.5M/yr since that's the high for DTs right now, but things could change with other contracts being signed every year. His dead money next year is now gonna be like $18M or more if they reduced his salary this year down to the minimum with the restructure. He's become an even bigger mess because of that restructure and it gives him even more leverage in contract negotiations because they can't just move him to avoid paying the money. They have pretty much guaranteed that the team will have to overpay Suh to keep him or he can happily walk away while giving them a $9M look at his finger on the way out.

March 13th, 2013, 10:44 pm
Veteran General Manager

rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Boz wrote:

Why do you guys feel the need to assume the worst in every player we have? Has Suh ever indicated any desire to screw the Lions over? Has he ever indicated that he wants to leave Detroit as soon as he can? It is entirely possible to extend him in 2014 in such a way that we set up his huge roster bonus for 2015 and just guarantee it ( the roster bonus, not the whole contract.) You never know. He might just surprise you. He might really like it here and wants to stay as long as we will have him stay. It is not his fault that he was drafted before the NFL got a new CBA and he fell into the outrageous rookie contracts. You would no more give any of that back then he should. That's a lot of cheese to turn back into milk and cram it back into the cow.

March 13th, 2013, 10:47 pm
NFL Veteran

BillySims wrote:
rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Boz wrote:

Why do you guys feel the need to assume the worst in every player we have? Has Suh ever indicated any desire to screw the Lions over? Has he ever indicated that he wants to leave Detroit as soon as he can? It is entirely possible to extend him in 2014 in such a way that we set up his huge roster bonus for 2015 and just guarantee it ( the roster bonus, not the whole contract.) You never know. He might just surprise you. He might really like it here and wants to stay as long as we will have him stay. It is not his fault that he was drafted before the NFL got a new CBA and he fell into the outrageous rookie contracts. You would no more give any of that back then he should. That's a lot of cheese to turn back into milk and cram it back into the cow.

These are all legit concerns unless he starts coming out in the media and talking about how much he wants to be a Lion. His sister put out the tweet that put it into question and whether it has anything to do with his feeling on leaving Detroit or not it still puts up a red flag. His sister manages everything he does off the field, so you can't discount anything she puts out there.

I'm not blaming Suh for any of this and if he makes them overpay him that's his right to take advantage of the stupid financial decision the Lions have made putting all the leverage in Suh's hands. No matter how good a person Suh could turn out to be it still doesn't change how irresponsible Mayhew is being with the way he is pushing around Suh's cap number's and dead money. With the new restructure they have left themselves with one move and that's to extend him before the league year starts in 2015. How is Mayhew putting the team in a corner not something fans can be leary about?

March 13th, 2013, 11:12 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Boz wrote:

These are all legit concerns unless he starts coming out in the media and talking about how much he wants to be a Lion. His sister put out the tweet that put it into question and whether it has anything to do with his feeling on leaving Detroit or not it still puts up a red flag. His sister manages everything he does off the field, so you can't discount anything she puts out there.

I'm not blaming Suh for any of this and if he makes them overpay him that's his right to take advantage of the stupid financial decision the Lions have made putting all the leverage in Suh's hands. No matter how good a person Suh could turn out to be it still doesn't change how irresponsible Mayhew is being with the way he is pushing around Suh's cap number's and dead money. With the new restructure they have left themselves with one move and that's to extend him before the league year starts in 2015. How is Mayhew putting the team in a corner not something fans can be leary about?

Not that it means much, but his agent said today or yesterday that he wants to do an extension and be here when we 'win a Superbowl.'

March 13th, 2013, 11:17 pm
NFL Veteran

thelomasbrowns wrote:
rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Not that it means much, but his agent said today or yesterday that he wants to do an extension and be here when we 'win a Superbowl.'

It may not mean anything, but it's a good start. Those are the things that we should be hearing from his camp all the time. I just hope he takes a deal that's inline with guys like Ngata and isn't trying to get QB money.

March 13th, 2013, 11:24 pm
QB Coach

Kinda mad Avril signed for so cheap. Again I wonder what our final offer was to him this year, if we made one. We still need at least one starter at DE. I have a feeling we're looking at Ansah at 5 now.

March 13th, 2013, 11:35 pm
Butkus Award Winner

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Kinda mad Avril signed for so cheap. Again I wonder what our final offer was to him this year, if we made one. We still need at least one starter at DE. I have a feeling we're looking at Ansah at 5 now.

I would hope so. He runs unbelieveably smoothly on his feet and his spin move is jaw-dropping. If he develops, JPP 2.0

March 14th, 2013, 6:44 am
Div 1 - Starter

If the Lions bring back LoJack and Willie Young, I would like to see them sign Ansah out of Brigham Young. He's got talent, a high ceiling, and could learn well from the coaches and play a nice role as a situational pass rusher.

Avril was a good player, but that's *all* he's been. A good, steady player. He wanted at least $10 million a year, and that wasn't going to happen. Avril didn't do anything in 2012 to show that it was a good idea for him to play on the franchise tag and increase his value. He was, and still is, a solid player that will make some plays, but he certainly doesn't strike the same fear into the hearts of opponents as would a JJ Watt or Jean Pierre-Paul.

Mayhew was correct when he stated that the Lions had a lot of players that would line up correctly and play well, but what the Lions need are players that can make a difference. I don't see Avril making that kind of a difference here, or in Seattle.

That and the fact that he took a contract that is less that what he turned down last year from the Lions shows that even Avril (or at least the rest of the NFL) understands he's not all that and a bag of chips.

March 14th, 2013, 11:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next