View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 3:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Backus Retires 
Modmin Dude

Post Backus Retires

March 14th, 2013, 4:02 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Backus Retires
I hope he get one of the top LTs in the draft then.

NEVER GIVE UP!

March 14th, 2013, 4:13 pm
NFL Veteran

Yay, now everyone knows they are drafting a LT.

March 14th, 2013, 4:14 pm
Modmin Dude

rao wrote:
Yay, now everyone knows they are drafting a LT.
or Andre Smith and Jake Long are still out there... or, like I believe they said last year, Reiff @ LT...

March 14th, 2013, 4:15 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Lions left tackle Jeff Backus retires
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 14, 2013, 4:05 PM EDT

Jeff Backus, a Lions left tackle who has been one of the NFL’s most durable and consistent players since entering the league 12 years ago, has decided to call it a career.

The Lions announced on Thursday that Backus has retired.

Backus was the Lions’ first-round draft pick in 2001 and was immediately given the most important job on the offensive line, the starting left tackle position. He started every game that year, and every game every year until finally missing one game with an injury in 2012. In 12 seasons he started 191 of the Lions’ 192 regular-season games, as well as the Lions’ one and only playoff game of the last 12 years.

The departure of Backus is one more reminder that the 2013 Lions will be a very different team from the 2012 Lions. Detroit has made several significant personnel changes on both sides of the ball this offseason, and now one of the Lions’ most reliable mainstays is walking away, at the age of 35.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... s-retires/

March 14th, 2013, 4:21 pm
RIP Killer

Somewhere Julius Peppers and Jared Allen are crying. :Crying:

March 14th, 2013, 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
Div 1 - Starter

So, how much does that remove from the cap?

Also, I think the Lions have their plans in place for the OL, and this won't mandate that they draft a LT with the #5 pick.

March 14th, 2013, 4:25 pm
Modmin Dude

The Detroit News wrote:
April 26, 2012 at 1:00 am
Lions draft OT Riley Reiff with 23rd overall pick
By Chris McCosky
The Detroit News

The 6-5, 313-pound Riley Reiff was a three-time state wrestling champion in high school in South Dakota. (Associated Press)

Allen Park— Jim Schwartz was very direct.

Iowa offensive lineman Riley Reiff, who the Lions took with the 23rd overall pick Thursday, is a left tackle, Schwartz said, and he's not a developmental player.

"It's not very often that the second offensive lineman on your board goes off at 23," Schwartz said. "Historically, there's four offensive lineman off the board by that point. We were very fortunate to be sitting at 23 and able to get the best player on our board who plays a position we where we were looking to get some younger players into the pipeline."

Reiff, the first Big Ten player selected, is just under 6-6 and 313 pounds and has been compared to Titans Pro Bowl tackle Michael Roos. He has average arm length, but he compensates with exceptional footwork and athleticism.

General manager Martin Mayhew said he could play every offensive line position except center, but Schwartz narrowed it down.

"He's a left tackle," Schwartz said. "He fits the criteria that you want at that position. He's big, tough, he's a former tight end and a three-time state wrestling champ (South Dakota). He comes from a great tradition of offensive linemen at Iowa. He's a good run blocker and a good pass protector.

"Even though he is young and will still improve in certain areas, we're not drafting a guy that's a developmental player."

So what does that mean for starting left tackle Jeff Backus, who will turn 35 in September and is coming off biceps surgery? Will he have to fight for his job? Will he be moved to guard?

"It's way too early to take that approach," Schwartz said. "We'll put them all out there and we'll play. Their play in training camp, in the OTAs and in the preseason, that will determine those things, not anything we are thinking right now."

Reiff is just glad for the chance to compete. Even though he was expected to go much higher than 23, he was not in New York Thursday. Instead, he was sitting in his barn at his home in Parkston, S.D., when he got the call.

"I wasn't watching TV," he said. "I just told myself, 'Whatever happens happens.' It didn't matter to me (where he was drafted). I'm just ready to play football and I am super excited to be a Detroit Lion."

As for competing for a starting job, Reiff was respectful but clearly up for the challenge.

"I will come in and compete and try to learn from the guys," he said. "We will see how it works out. I just know I am going to come in and work hard and make the best of it."

Reiff took over the left tackle spot at Iowa for All-American Bryan Bulaga (Packers). He started 37 of 39 games, 29 of those at left tackle. According to Iowa statistics, he had 38 touchdown-resulting blocks and 264 knock-down blocks in more than 2,500 plays.

"He's big, smart, tough and versatile," Mayhew said. "He was a three-year starter in a good program. We came into the draft thinking we needed to add some young players to that (offensive line) group and Riley fits the mold."

That said, Mayhew worked hard on Thursday to move up higher in the draft in hopes of landing a cornerback. South Carolina's Stephon Gilmore went at No. 10 to Buffalo and Alabama's Dre Kirkpatrick went at No. 17 to Cincinnati.

"We looked at all our options," Mayhew said. "We tried to go up and at one point we talked about moving back. We stayed put and were able to get a really good player."

Reiff had one brief run-in with the police at Iowa. He was involved in a chase on campus during his freshman year. The incident barely raised a flag with the Lions.

"We felt very confident with his explanation," Schwartz said. "It happened right when he went on campus as a freshman. It's something that's long in his past and he hasn't had any issues since. We all have done things as freshmen in college we don't want coming back. We are confident it was an isolated incident."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2012 ... z1tEeQzEHf

And for those on the 'short arm' bandwagon:
Quote:
Riley Reiff 33 1⁄4 in (84.5 cm) arms

Joe Thomas (32 1⁄2 in 82.6 cm)
Jake Long (32 7⁄8 in 83.5 cm)
Per Walter Football, he was seen as LT coming out:
Quote:
The consensus second-rated offensive tackle in the 2012 NFL Draft is a well-rounded prospect. Reiff is a good athlete who is a dependable pass protector and a quality run blocker. Reiff was clearly well coached at Iowa, and he enters the NFL with the ability to be a high level technician at left tackle.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2012rreiff.php

March 14th, 2013, 4:26 pm
NFL Veteran

So are you guys gonna go to Ford Field when they retire his number?? :roll: :lol:

March 14th, 2013, 4:28 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Damn!

March 14th, 2013, 4:31 pm
Div 1 - Starter

As much flak as Backus has gotten in this forum, I expected to see a lot of "good riddance" posts.

I guess wjb must be on the toilet or something.

March 14th, 2013, 4:38 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

My buddy (fellow Wolverine) put it best just now: "Bye Backus. You were never as good as I wanted you to be or as bad as everyone thought you were."

Last edited by thelomasbrowns on March 14th, 2013, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 14th, 2013, 5:10 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

He'll be missed. Great player.

On the other hand, that's $5M in cap space!

March 14th, 2013, 5:12 pm
Varsity Captain

Call Michael Bennett and tell him we've got the cash! Thanks for the effort Jeff. Now you can go fishing with Hutch.

March 14th, 2013, 5:24 pm
Team MVP

Well apparently they were looking at moving him inside. To me, that says we still need a LT. None of us know Mayhews plans, but I sure hope it involves getting a LT....(Fisher?)

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 14th, 2013, 5:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next