View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2014, 12:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Backus Retires 
Butkus Award Winner

Post Re: Backus Retires
Boz wrote:
Call Michael Bennett and tell him we've got the cash! Thanks for the effort Jeff. Now you can go fishing with Hutch.

Haha EXACTLY! Signing him would be awesome. We could start WY opposite him and the D-line would be set. If it happens, I hope it's for at least 4 years. He would be very, very effective on our line.

Speaking of the devil...

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... _to_v.html

Miami has the $$$, so that really worries me...

March 14th, 2013, 5:30 pm
RIP Killer

From Backus

Quote:
“Today, I’ve come to the conclusion that it's time for me to hang up my cleats and retire. It’s a bittersweet moment, but I'm content knowing I gave everything I had, played as hard as I could and tried my best to live up to the standards I believe in.

“I want to thank the Ford Family and the Detroit Lions for allowing me the privilege to represent the city of Detroit and play in the National Football League for the last 12 years. I also want to thank all of my coaches and teammates for all their support over the years.

“To the fans of Detroit, I thank you for the support and loyalty you have shown the Lions and myself. You deserve a winner.

“I also want to express my sincere appreciation to Coach Carr and everyone at the University of Michigan, who all played such an important role in my development as a player and a person.

“Most importantly, I want to thank my wife, my parents, my brother, all of my family and friends, and my agent Pat Dye Jr. Your unwavering support, guidance and sacrifices allowed me to follow my dream of playing in the NFL. I could never thoroughly explain how much that has meant to me.

“To my dad, you set the standards I live by. Your support and unbelievable perseverance motivates me daily to be the best that I can be. Thanks!

“Looking forward, I wish the entire Detroit Lions organization and all Lions’ fans the best. I will always be a Lion at heart.”

March 14th, 2013, 5:34 pm
Profile WWW
1st Round Pick

Shotty wrote:
He'll be missed. Great player.

On the other hand, that's $5M in cap space!

Where are you getting $5M? I think his base salary for this year was $2.25M and he left the Lions with 750k in dead money. He had some incentive if he started 90% of the games for the 2 years of the contract, but I don't think that counted against the cap.

March 14th, 2013, 6:05 pm
Butkus Award Winner

rao wrote:
Shotty wrote:
He'll be missed. Great player.

On the other hand, that's $5M in cap space!

Where are you getting $5M? I think his base salary for this year was $2.25M and he left the Lions with 750k in dead money. He had some incentive if he started 90% of the games for the 2 years of the contract, but I don't think that counted against the cap.

Just looked it up, and you're right. I read somewhere that it was $5 million, my mistake

March 14th, 2013, 6:11 pm
RIP Killer

Wow, I honestly never expected this to happen this year. Next year, of course, but not now. Wonder if they had told him he's moving to RG or something? He had to have some incentive other than, eh, my time is up. I just don't understand it unless there was some other sort of motivation.

Now, where to go...chances are fisher and joeckle will be gone. Unless they go for warmack or Johnson, I don't see it. Will be interesting. Still see a very subpar OL unless they do some serious drafting or signings.

Speaking of which, Miami is close to signing long, which means saffold will likely demand a trade (of course they will tell him to move to RT and he has already said screw that). Saffold is a good player without a job now and likely wouldn't cost much. Explore that MM!

March 14th, 2013, 6:12 pm
Frees up $1.5 millionish...

Like I said, I don't know why so many were relying on him starting this year. He didn't have a good year last year, he couldn't stay healthy, and he's not going to be better in 2013. IMO this is a good thing, but it is going to leave us lacking some veteran leadership on the OL.

Hopefully Fisher is available...

March 14th, 2013, 6:32 pm
Team MVP

conversion02 wrote:
Wow, I honestly never expected this to happen this year. Next year, of course, but not now. Wonder if they had told him he's moving to RG or something? He had to have some incentive other than, eh, my time is up. I just don't understand it unless there was some other sort of motivation.

Now, where to go...chances are fisher and joeckle will be gone. Unless they go for warmack or Johnson, I don't see it. Will be interesting. Still see a very subpar OL unless they do some serious drafting or signings.

Speaking of which, Miami is close to signing long, which means saffold will likely demand a trade (of course they will tell him to move to RT and he has already said screw that). Saffold is a good player without a job now and likely wouldn't cost much. Explore that MM!

Agree. Wonder if he could be had for a 2nd.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 14th, 2013, 6:33 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

If both the LTs are gone by #5, I can see Mahew picking up Lane Johnson in round 2, or maybe move up to late round 1 for him.

Our worst case scenario line looks like this:

LT: Reiff, Hillard, Low round pick
LG: Sims, Austin
C: Raiola, Austin, Muhlbach (sp?)
RG: Nagy, Austin
RT: Fox, Hilliard, Low round pick

If we get Lane Johnson, I'd assume he either starts or competes for the RT spot.

March 14th, 2013, 6:35 pm
Team MVP

DayDreamer wrote:
If both the LTs are gone by #5, I can see Mahew picking up Lane Johnson in round 2, or maybe move up to late round 1 for him.

If we get Lane Johnson, I'd assume he either starts or competes for the RT spot.

I highly doubt Lane Johnson lasts til round 20. I doubt he last past top 20.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

March 14th, 2013, 6:37 pm
DayDreamer wrote:

Lane Johnson won't be there in the 2nd round.

If Fisher isn't there we're going to be in rough shape.

March 14th, 2013, 6:37 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Mahew has a history of moving up to get his guy. So if Lane lasts through the top 20, I think we have a shot at him.

March 14th, 2013, 6:40 pm
Team MVP

Mayhew needs to just get it over with, move up, get one of the top 2 tackles.

March 14th, 2013, 6:44 pm
RIP Killer

I hate having Hilliard at RT and I sure as hell hate Fox starting anywhere on the line. Hilliard is meh and Fox has stayed healthy a whopping one season on the bench. Why the love for this chump? Prove something against actual NFL players and not camp fodder in PS games and earn some real respect.

I think we're in trouble, as fisher and joeckle most likely wont be there and I sure as hell don't want to have to trade up to get Johnson. This team needs to go defense on damn near every pick, since they need 3 starters and depth at every defensive position.

March 14th, 2013, 6:45 pm
DayDreamer wrote:
Mahew has a history of moving up to get his guy. So if Lane lasts through the top 20, I think we have a shot at him.

That would be ridiculous.... Johnson is supposed to go somewhere 13-16 if value has anything to do with it. You don't risk your starting LT on waiting a few picks, and if you're going to "move up" to get a guy, we may as well strike a deal with Oakland and get Fisher for sure.

March 14th, 2013, 6:47 pm
RIP Killer

Or if they love Johnson, take less, trade down to #10 or so and take him. Then they can pick up at least a 2nd and get a starting DB or OLB

March 14th, 2013, 6:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next