View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 2:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Backus Retires 
Post Re: Backus Retires
conversion02 wrote:
Or if they love Johnson, take less, trade down to #10 or so and take him. Then they can pick up at least a 2nd and get a starting DB or OLB

I wouldn't mind that, actually. If they really believe in the kid, and have vetted him properly, I'd like this move. However, if Fisher is ahead on their board, I think you have to make sure you land him. LT is a franchise player, especially on a team that is so pass-heavy.

March 14th, 2013, 6:57 pm
Hall of Fame Player

conversion02 wrote:
Wow, I honestly never expected this to happen this year. Next year, of course, but not now. Wonder if they had told him he's moving to RG or something? He had to have some incentive other than, eh, my time is up. I just don't understand it unless there was some other sort of motivation.

Now, where to go...chances are fisher and joeckle will be gone. Unless they go for warmack or Johnson, I don't see it. Will be interesting. Still see a very subpar OL unless they do some serious drafting or signings.

Speaking of which, Miami is close to signing long, which means saffold will likely demand a trade (of course they will tell him to move to RT and he has already said screw that). Saffold is a good player without a job now and likely wouldn't cost much. Explore that MM!

Hutchinson just retired the other day. I wonder if that influenced Backus any?

As for Lane Johnson: I am liking him more than Fisher or Joekel. The only thing either of them have over Johnson is playing time at LT. I am telling you right here and now, 2 years from now, Lane Johnson will be recognized as the best LT from this draft. I would not hesitate for 1 second to select him #5 overall.

March 14th, 2013, 8:02 pm
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Frees up $1.5 millionish...

Like I said, I don't know why so many were relying on him starting this year. He didn't have a good year last year, he couldn't stay healthy, and he's not going to be better in 2013. IMO this is a good thing, but it is going to leave us lacking some veteran leadership on the OL.

Hopefully Fisher is available...

He couldn't stay healthy? Did you even think about that before you typed it? The man missed 1 game in his entire 12 year career. And the injury rate in the NFL is 100%. He played through it. Seriously, I just lost a little respect for you with that garbage statement.

March 14th, 2013, 8:05 pm
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Like I said, I don't know why so many were relying on him starting this year. He didn't have a good year last year, he couldn't stay healthy, and he's not going to be better in 2013. IMO this is a good thing, but it is going to leave us lacking some veteran leadership on the OL.

He couldn't stay healthy? Did you even think about that before you typed it? The man missed 1 game in his entire 12 year career. And the injury rate in the NFL is 100%. He played through it. Seriously, I just lost a little respect for you with that garbage statement.

Are you kidding? In 2011 he played most of the season hurt. In 2012 he missed a game and played the 2nd 1/2 of the season hurt.

Just because he's out there it doesn't mean he's healthy Billy. "I just lost a little respect for you" for your inability to understand that.

March 14th, 2013, 8:07 pm
Hall of Fame Player

DayDreamer wrote:
If both the LTs are gone by #5, I can see Mahew picking up Lane Johnson in round 2, or maybe move up to late round 1 for him.

Our worst case scenario line looks like this:

LT: Reiff, Hillard, Low round pick
LG: Sims, Austin
C: Raiola, Austin, Muhlbach (sp?)
RG: Nagy, Austin
RT: Fox, Hilliard, Low round pick

If we get Lane Johnson, I'd assume he either starts or competes for the RT spot.

Drop the hooka pipe and walk away. Lane Johnson will not last past the Rams pick in the 1st round. He will never fall to the 2nd round. Green Bay would crap all over themselves if he was there for them.

March 14th, 2013, 8:09 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

wjb21ndtown wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
Or if they love Johnson, take less, trade down to #10 or so and take him. Then they can pick up at least a 2nd and get a starting DB or OLB

I wouldn't mind that, actually. If they really believe in the kid, and have vetted him properly, I'd like this move. However, if Fisher is ahead on their board, I think you have to make sure you land him. LT is a franchise player, especially on a team that is so pass-heavy.

I'm with you. I'm of the "LT or bust" at the #5 spot thinking. There are 3 guys there that are projected all pro material. We have to protect the Stafford investment. Everything else is a luxury......but then free agency isn't over yet :cheers:

March 14th, 2013, 8:12 pm
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Are you kidding? In 2011 he played most of the season hurt. In 2012 he missed a game and played the 2nd 1/2 of the season hurt.

Just because he's out there it doesn't mean he's healthy Billy. "I just lost a little respect for you" for your inability to understand that.

By the end of the 4th week of the season every player in the NFL is hurt to some degree or another. If you aren't hurt by that time, then you aren't trying as hard as you can and you shouldn't be in the league.

March 14th, 2013, 8:15 pm
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

By the end of the 4th week of the season every player in the NFL is hurt to some degree or another. If you aren't hurt by that time, then you aren't trying as hard as you can and you shouldn't be in the league.

Not everyone is playing with a serious injury.

March 14th, 2013, 8:17 pm
QB Coach

As much as I criticized him as being part of the problem, the man gave his all for 12 years to this team, playing through injuries and had to put up with being on Millen teams for too long. Enjoy the retirement Jeff.

March 14th, 2013, 8:39 pm
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
As much as I criticized him as being part of the problem, the man gave his all for 12 years to this team, playing through injuries and had to put up with being on Millen teams for too long. Enjoy the retirement Jeff.

I agree... I do think he held this team back with his inability to run block, but you can't argue after 12 years of quality service that he wasn't a good draft pick. Kudos to you Mr. Backus, happy retirement. You were a gentleman and scholar for the contract you gave us last year, and I don't believe that the team hasn't known for weeks, or even requested his leave at this time. Backus, IMO, is one of the highest character guys on this team, and his effort and leadership will be missed.

March 14th, 2013, 8:42 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

wjb21ndtown wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

I agree... I do think he held this team back with his inability to run block, but you can't argue after 12 years of quality service that he wasn't a good draft pick. Kudos to you Mr. Backus, happy retirement. You were a gentleman and scholar for the contract you gave us last year, and I don't believe that the team hasn't known for weeks, or even requested his leave at this time. Backus, IMO, is one of the highest character guys on this team, and his effort and leadership will be missed.

March 14th, 2013, 8:43 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Heisman Winner

wjb21ndtown wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

Good summary. Backus was an outstanding pick given what he did for the team being drafted in the teens. If Reiff gives you 2/3 of what Backus did the Lions will have done very well. If would have been nice, however, for Backus to be on the roster for a year to show this likely new rookie LT the ropes about how it's done and how to work at the NFL level.

March 14th, 2013, 10:22 pm
Heisman Winner

BillySims wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:
If both the LTs are gone by #5, I can see Mahew picking up Lane Johnson in round 2, or maybe move up to late round 1 for him.

Our worst case scenario line looks like this:

LT: Reiff, Hillard, Low round pick
LG: Sims, Austin
C: Raiola, Austin, Muhlbach (sp?)
RG: Nagy, Austin
RT: Fox, Hilliard, Low round pick

If we get Lane Johnson, I'd assume he either starts or competes for the RT spot.

Drop the hooka pipe and walk away. Lane Johnson will not last past the Rams pick in the 1st round. He will never fall to the 2nd round. Green Bay would crap all over themselves if he was there for them.

I'm not saying that Lane Johnson will definitely drop that low, just that if he does, Mahew will probably get him. If not, you move on and find the best OT available in round 2, Fluker or Armstead maybe. Don't forget that this draft class is very deep at OL, we can even pick Kyle Long in round 3 or 4, and still come out with a decent tackle.

March 15th, 2013, 5:17 am
Rookie Player of the Year

rao wrote:
Shotty wrote:
He'll be missed. Great player.

On the other hand, that's $5M in cap space!

Where are you getting $5M? I think his base salary for this year was $2.25M and he left the Lions with 750k in dead money. He had some incentive if he started 90% of the games for the 2 years of the contract, but I don't think that counted against the cap.

Here's what Birkett says:

Quote:
@davebirkett
They save $2.75 million (was due a $500k bonus in a couple days) RT @kingsxctrack: Do the Lions gain cap space with Backus retirement?
https://twitter.com/davebirkett/status/ ... 5602888704

March 15th, 2013, 8:11 am
Modmin Dude

Pablo wrote:
From Backus

Quote:
“Today, I’ve come to the conclusion that it's time for me to hang up my cleats and retire. It’s a bittersweet moment, but I'm content knowing I gave everything I had, played as hard as I could and tried my best to live up to the standards I believe in.

“I want to thank the Ford Family and the Detroit Lions for allowing me the privilege to represent the city of Detroit and play in the National Football League for the last 12 years. I also want to thank all of my coaches and teammates for all their support over the years.

“To the fans of Detroit, I thank you for the support and loyalty you have shown the Lions and myself. You deserve a winner.

“I also want to express my sincere appreciation to Coach Carr and everyone at the University of Michigan, who all played such an important role in my development as a player and a person.

“Most importantly, I want to thank my wife, my parents, my brother, all of my family and friends, and my agent Pat Dye Jr. Your unwavering support, guidance and sacrifices allowed me to follow my dream of playing in the NFL. I could never thoroughly explain how much that has meant to me.

“To my dad, you set the standards I live by. Your support and unbelievable perseverance motivates me daily to be the best that I can be. Thanks!

“Looking forward, I wish the entire Detroit Lions organization and all Lions’ fans the best. I will always be a Lion at heart.”
Class act. Thanks Jeff and good luck in whatever you decide to do from here on out. Go Lions! headbang.gif

March 15th, 2013, 9:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next