View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 1st, 2014, 2:14 am



Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Backus Retires 
Author Message
3rd Round Selection

Joined: October 19th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Posts: 1170
Location: Nottingham, England
Post Re: Backus Retires
Completely agree Wags.

Enjoy the retirement Jeff.


March 15th, 2013, 9:21 am
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12153
Post Re: Backus Retires
DetroitLions.com wrote:
Has the Riley Reiff era at left tackle begun in Detroit?
Posted by ttwentyman on March 14, 2013 – 6:09 pm

Has the Riley Reiff era at left tackle begun for the Detroit Lions?

We all figured that last’s year’s first-round draft pick was going to start somewhere along the offensive line in 2013, we just didn’t know where.

With Thursday’s announcement that longtime starting left tackle Jeff Backus has decided to retire, it’s looking more like left tackle might be the landing spot.

At the very least, Reiff is a prime candidate to compete for either vacant tackle spot with Jason Fox and Corey Hilliard.
Reiff started at left tackle on Thanksgiving last year when Backus missed his first NFL game after 187 (including playoffs) consecutive starts.

“We’re prepared for just about anything as far as turnover on the offensive line, or turnover anywhere,” Detroit Lions head coach Jim Schwartz told the media down at the NFL Scouting Combine.

“I think that we’ve drafted on the offensive line, last year with Riley Reiff, and a couple years before that with Jason Fox. We’ve developed those guys and if we can plug them in, we’re prepared to do it. All of those guys are guys that we think a lot of and we think that they can go do the job if called upon.”

Reiff impressed enough early in his rookie year the Lions created a special jumbo package to get him on the field when he didn’t supplant Backus or Gosder Cherilus (signed with Colts in free agency) in the starting lineup.

Reiff played 329 snaps in all in 2012 and it was enough for his teammates to vote him the Mel Farr Rookie of the Year for 2012.

“Obviously we drafted Riley Reiff last year,” Detroit Lions president Tom Lewand said Thursday when asked about replacing Backus. “We’ve got Jason Fox and Corey Hilliard. We’ve got some good competition there.”

But don’t count out the possibility of the Lions adding a tackle to the roster before training camp starts, possibly via the draft if Luke Joeckel or Eric Fisher are available when the Lions pick at No. 5.

“As Martin (Mayhew) has said consistently, there is no finish line when it comes to player acquisition,” Lewand said. “We have a lot of opportunity going forward to look at adding to the mix on the offensive line, both outside and inside.”

Taking a player like Joeckel or Fisher at No. 5 would allow the Lions to move Reiff to the right side at either guard or tackle and fill one of those holes with a good, young player.

http://blogs.detroitlions.com/2013/03/1 ... n-detroit/

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


March 15th, 2013, 11:07 am
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2324
Post Re: Backus Retires
Seriously...it's times like this when the Lions fan inferiority complex is almost embarrassing. Reiff was the second best tackle in the draft, has a good pedigree, and looked relatively good in limited action last year. Why are we already writing him off? It's pathetic, it really is.

If you're going to build through the draft, you have to give your young talent a shot when their time comes. Reiff's time is now. Here we go.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


March 15th, 2013, 11:26 am
Profile
National Champion

Joined: August 13th, 2006, 11:04 pm
Posts: 875
Location: Washington, DC
Post Re: Backus Retires
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Seriously...it's times like this when the Lions fan inferiority complex is almost embarrassing. Reiff was the second best tackle in the draft, has a good pedigree, and looked relatively good in limited action last year. Why are we already writing him off? It's pathetic, it really is.

If you're going to build through the draft, you have to give your young talent a shot when their time comes. Reiff's time is now. Here we go.


Agree. I don't know why starting Reiff is such a bad thing.


March 15th, 2013, 11:29 am
Profile
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 659
Post Re: Backus Retires
Hystrix wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Seriously...it's times like this when the Lions fan inferiority complex is almost embarrassing. Reiff was the second best tackle in the draft, has a good pedigree, and looked relatively good in limited action last year. Why are we already writing him off? It's pathetic, it really is.

If you're going to build through the draft, you have to give your young talent a shot when their time comes. Reiff's time is now. Here we go.


Agree. I don't know why starting Reiff is such a bad thing.


This. Were people expecting a Joe Thomas type performance in his game filling in for Backus? Give the kid time to develop and actually show what he's got. He wasn't considered the 2nd best tackle in the draft for no reason.

_________________
Image


March 15th, 2013, 11:44 am
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1391
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Backus Retires
For me it's not a knock on Reiff that I don't want him starting at LT, it's that I don't want Hilliard or Fox starting anywhere on the line. I don't think Hilliard is good enough to start and I sure as hell don't believe they are going to get a full season out of Fox. To make matters worse, no one has even seen if Fox can play in the NFL. Then you look at guard and you have to depend on Nagy to have finally recovered from his recurring ankle issue or an UDFA. The line is looking pretty damn bleak.


March 15th, 2013, 12:12 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2286
Post Re: Backus Retires
I Find it disconcerting mostly. Individually losing Backus to retirment and Cherilos to FA and Peterman to Bad Play are all good things for the Lions.

However, OL Stability is usually key to success for the OL of most teams, and we will have 3 New Starters on our OL ( Including Both OTs) , 1 With Limited Playtime (Reiff) and potentially a Rookie at 1 of the others, and midround backups fighting for the 3rd spot. For almost any team this would be a recipe for near disaster, even though the younger players may actually be more talented than those they replace. And we cant afford a slow start, or the seaosn may tank, ousting the FO/Coaching staff and causing another reboot.

SO all in all, I think depending on if we can add Joekel/Fisher we could have much more talent on the line, but im still super nervous about what we will see this year.

_________________
Time to Move on from the Schwartz Era. My Favorite Offense Minded Coaching Candidates: O'Brien, Whisenhunt, John Gruden, Jay Gruden, David Shaw, Tom Coughlin


March 15th, 2013, 12:33 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Post Re: Backus Retires
Shotty wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Seriously...it's times like this when the Lions fan inferiority complex is almost embarrassing. Reiff was the second best tackle in the draft, has a good pedigree, and looked relatively good in limited action last year. Why are we already writing him off? It's pathetic, it really is.

If you're going to build through the draft, you have to give your young talent a shot when their time comes. Reiff's time is now. Here we go.


Agree. I don't know why starting Reiff is such a bad thing.


This. Were people expecting a Joe Thomas type performance in his game filling in for Backus? Give the kid time to develop and actually show what he's got. He wasn't considered the 2nd best tackle in the draft for no reason.


Reiff didn't look bad when he played LT, he looked HORRIBLE. He took the holding penalty (I think it was in the pre-season) for a safety (which showed a lack of game awareness, and an inability to do the job), the regular season game that he "filled in" he had holding penalties and was beat several times. He looked lost when he was out in space, and looked wholly incapable of handling the job. The guy didn't even look good filling in as a 2nd or 3rd TE in rushing downs. He looks lost.

Further, OUR OWN FRONT OFFICE was just looking at him to potentially move him to OG. That says something about where THEY believe he is (not those "evil, over-reacting, 'embarrassing' fans, but the LIONS FRONT OFFICE), after seeing him practice and play for an entire year.


March 15th, 2013, 12:40 pm
Post Re: Backus Retires
DJ-B wrote:
I Find it disconcerting mostly. Individually losing Backus to retirment and Cherilos to FA and Peterman to Bad Play are all good things for the Lions.

However, OL Stability is usually key to success for the OL of most teams, and we will have 3 New Starters on our OL ( Including Both OTs) , 1 With Limited Playtime (Reiff) and potentially a Rookie at 1 of the others, and midround backups fighting for the 3rd spot. For almost any team this would be a recipe for near disaster, even though the younger players may actually be more talented than those they replace. And we cant afford a slow start, or the seaosn may tank, ousting the FO/Coaching staff and causing another reboot.

SO all in all, I think depending on if we can add Joekel/Fisher we could have much more talent on the line, but im still super nervous about what we will see this year.


I agree completely, which is why I say Mayhew has to go. There was no plan in place to bring someone along, or develop someone to replace either Backus or Gos. Mayhew just put his head in the sand and threw darts at the draft board, aimlessly, and it's not working!

Further, not only is it not working for the OL. Not only did Mayhew have an "over-sight" with the offensive line and fail miserably to keep some sort of cohesiveness intact (remember, he's had 4 drafts already to come up with a "plan" to replace these guys!). He did the SAME DAMN THING WITH THE DEFENSIVE LINE!!!

Mayhew is a clown and needs to go.


March 15th, 2013, 12:47 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Joined: December 13th, 2005, 2:09 pm
Posts: 530
Post Re: Backus Retires
DJ-B wrote:
However, OL Stability is usually key to success for the OL of most teams, and we will have 3 New Starters on our OL ( Including Both OTs)


The problem with the "stability" on the Lions OL is that aside from LG, it wasn't that talented and certainly was/is getting older. John Clayton of ESPN has written a lot on the, "150 Rule" for o-lines, where once the combined ages of the OL gets over 150 years total, it is in decline. Last year alone, the Lions were way over the 150 mark. Peterman wasn't really a starter in my opinion, and if Gosder's knees weren't a problem, why didn't the Lions sign him? (As a little fun factoid here... have you noticed that so far, NONE of the NFC North teams have signed any of the Lions FAs? As teams that see them most often outside of the Lions coaches and front office, none of the other three teams hit our players up. And Chicago needed OL help in a big way. Just sayin'...)

I liked Jeff Backus because he was dependable at LT. He wasn't famous for his talent, but I didn't see a lot of writers talking about Backus in comparison to say, Bryant McKinnie - a LT with WAY more talent than Backus and way less 'want to' as far as technique, and certainly less durable.

The Lions drafted replacement for Backus in Reiff - and got kudos for it. The biggest knock on Reiff was that his arms were too short. Seriously?

I don't think the Lions need to grab an LT with their first pick unless their board says that kid is BPA.

_________________
If God isn't a Lions fan, then why is the sky Honolulu Blue?


March 15th, 2013, 12:51 pm
Profile
Post Re: Backus Retires
JL wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
However, OL Stability is usually key to success for the OL of most teams, and we will have 3 New Starters on our OL ( Including Both OTs)


The problem with the "stability" on the Lions OL is that aside from LG, it wasn't that talented and certainly was/is getting older. John Clayton of ESPN has written a lot on the, "150 Rule" for o-lines, where once the combined ages of the OL gets over 150 years total, it is in decline. Last year alone, the Lions were way over the 150 mark. Peterman wasn't really a starter in my opinion, and if Gosder's knees weren't a problem, why didn't the Lions sign him? (As a little fun factoid here... have you noticed that so far, NONE of the NFC North teams have signed any of the Lions FAs? As teams that see them most often outside of the Lions coaches and front office, none of the other three teams hit our players up. And Chicago needed OL help in a big way. Just sayin'...)

I liked Jeff Backus because he was dependable at LT. He wasn't famous for his talent, but I didn't see a lot of writers talking about Backus in comparison to say, Bryant McKinnie - a LT with WAY more talent than Backus and way less 'want to' as far as technique, and certainly less durable.

The Lions drafted replacement for Backus in Reiff - and got kudos for it. The biggest knock on Reiff was that his arms were too short. Seriously?

I don't think the Lions need to grab an LT with their first pick unless their board says that kid is BPA.


Like I said, Alex Mack should have been the pick over Pettigrew, and DeCastro/Kontz should have been on the roster last year.

The average age of our entire interior OL would be and should be around 25 years old, and that's even WITH Sims, who's getting up there.

Why Reiff didn't get more time at RT when he looked horrible at LT is beyond me. Our season was over by about week 8 or so. Mayhew should have demanded that Reiff get more playing time in different positions 1) just to get him experience, and 2) to see what he's capable of. That shortcoming is ridiculous. I said in 2009 that we need to start replacing these guys to avoid catastrophe... Well... Here it is...


March 15th, 2013, 12:59 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2286
Post Re: Backus Retires
JL wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
However, OL Stability is usually key to success for the OL of most teams, and we will have 3 New Starters on our OL ( Including Both OTs)


The problem with the "stability" on the Lions OL is that aside from LG, it wasn't that talented and certainly was/is getting older. John Clayton of ESPN has written a lot on the, "150 Rule" for o-lines, where once the combined ages of the OL gets over 150 years total, it is in decline. Last year alone, the Lions were way over the 150 mark. Peterman wasn't really a starter in my opinion, and if Gosder's knees weren't a problem, why didn't the Lions sign him? (As a little fun factoid here... have you noticed that so far, NONE of the NFC North teams have signed any of the Lions FAs? As teams that see them most often outside of the Lions coaches and front office, none of the other three teams hit our players up. And Chicago needed OL help in a big way. Just sayin'...)

I liked Jeff Backus because he was dependable at LT. He wasn't famous for his talent, but I didn't see a lot of writers talking about Backus in comparison to say, Bryant McKinnie - a LT with WAY more talent than Backus and way less 'want to' as far as technique, and certainly less durable.

The Lions drafted replacement for Backus in Reiff - and got kudos for it. The biggest knock on Reiff was that his arms were too short. Seriously?

I don't think the Lions need to grab an LT with their first pick unless their board says that kid is BPA.


I agree with everything you said, my comments were in response about the feelings of nervousness this year. Peterman had to go. Goz wasnt worth what he got and even had he taken a little less to stay I wouldnt have rather he walked. Backus id preferred to have stayed 1 more year, but as a Mentor/Backup only, not the starter (maybe the first few games if we get a rook in rd 1). So Im not dissapointed about any of the 3 openings, just explaining why I am (and could understand others being) nervous about the OL.


March 15th, 2013, 8:55 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Div 1 - Starter
User avatar

Joined: April 8th, 2010, 3:24 pm
Posts: 547
Post Re: Backus Retires
Does anyone know why Backus chose to retire? Did the Lions push him out or did he just wake up one morning feeling chronic aches and pains and conclude that he didn't feel like putting on his cleats anymore? If the Lions pushed him out, why not wait until after the draft? (Now every team knows that we are a serious contender for one of the OTs.)


March 16th, 2013, 12:01 am
Profile
Div 1 - Starter
User avatar

Joined: April 8th, 2010, 3:24 pm
Posts: 547
Post Re: Backus Retires
Regarding OT Eric Fisher, is anyone concerned that he played for a Division 2 school and didn't have to face Division 1 talent?


March 16th, 2013, 12:06 am
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3365
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Backus Retires
Growler wrote:
Regarding OT Eric Fisher, is anyone concerned that he played for a Division 2 school and didn't have to face Division 1 talent?


He faced Div 1 talent at the Senior Bowl and destroyed them.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


March 16th, 2013, 12:11 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.