View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2014, 1:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Free Agency splash 
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Free Agency splash
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
rao wrote:
Boz wrote:
Did we even talk to Bennett? To pass on him at that price dosen't seem too bright!

They have to want to listen, he went to a different Florida team first then talked with a playoff team and signed. It doesn't seem like they had a chance to pass on anything. The Lions were already visiting with 4 guys they can't bring in everyone at once. Sometimes guys just sign before you can make your case.

SHHHH. That makes too much sense. It is easier to just believe that Mayhew is an idiot.

Mayhew is an idiot. That much is indisputable. You don't lose your entire DL and OL as complete units in one offseason and not be considered an idiot.
3/5 OL != entire
2/4 DL != entire
heh, maybe its that 'new' math :-k

Not too mention, who's to say they haven't already planned for it. Just because YOU don't happen to like who else is on the roster, doesn't mean they look at it the same way.

Joe Fauria, MVP!

March 15th, 2013, 12:55 pm
TheRealWags wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
rao wrote:
Boz wrote:
Did we even talk to Bennett? To pass on him at that price dosen't seem too bright!

They have to want to listen, he went to a different Florida team first then talked with a playoff team and signed. It doesn't seem like they had a chance to pass on anything. The Lions were already visiting with 4 guys they can't bring in everyone at once. Sometimes guys just sign before you can make your case.

SHHHH. That makes too much sense. It is easier to just believe that Mayhew is an idiot.

Mayhew is an idiot. That much is indisputable. You don't lose your entire DL and OL as complete units in one offseason and not be considered an idiot.
3/5 OL != entire
2/4 DL != entire

Not too mention, who's to say they haven't already planned for it. Just because YOU don't happen to like who else is on the roster, doesn't mean they look at it the same way.

Entire UNIT wags... 50% or more of the UNIT is a total loss.

Ok, so the plan was to start two OTs that have never proven themselves in the NFL, and who knows who at our open RG spot? BRILLIANT!!!

Our "plan" was to sign some garbage DT/DE tweener to start for us at $2.5 per year? BRILIANT! Who's the other OT? Who's the other DE? No one knows, not even the FRONT OFFICE! Nice plan...

March 15th, 2013, 1:01 pm
Butkus Award Winner

wjb21ndtown wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
rao wrote:
Boz wrote:

3/5 OL != entire
2/4 DL != entire

Entire UNIT wags... 50% or more of the UNIT is a total loss.

Ok, so the plan was to start two OTs that have never proven themselves in the NFL, and who knows who at our open RG spot? BRILLIANT!!!

Our "plan" was to sign some garbage DT/DE tweener to start for us at $2.5 per year? BRILIANT! Who's the other OT? Who's the other DE? No one knows, not even the FRONT OFFICE! Nice plan...

What do you see in Roger Saffold? Word is that he doesn't want to move to RT if Jake Long goes to the Rams and may demand a trade.

March 15th, 2013, 1:06 pm
Team MVP

Jake Long just left St. Louis WITHOUT a deal. Doubt we could afford Long, but id go for it if we could.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 15th, 2013, 1:15 pm
Shotty wrote:
What do you see in Roger Saffold? Word is that he doesn't want to move to RT if Jake Long goes to the Rams and may demand a trade.

I wouldn't want him, unless he was cut and we brought him back to play RT after he tested the FA market. Prior to testing the FA market he's not going to want to move, and he's going to be a problem. He's certainly cheap enough (he's only going to earn about $850k in 2013, but he doesn't want to move to OG or OT, and even the Rams are looking to replace him at LT and he had a back injury last December.

I don't think he's a good candidate to lock down our LT spot. I think we have someone of about his talent on the roster in Hilliard/Reiff.

March 15th, 2013, 1:37 pm
Butkus Award Winner

kdsberman wrote:
Jake Long just left St. Louis WITHOUT a deal. Doubt we could afford Long, but id go for it if we could.

The Rams don't have much cap space and the FO probably didn't wan to deal with the Saffold situation . We could get him, but would need to do some more work to get space like do something to help Best in a way less hurtful towards the cap, just release Dom, and release Mike Thomas. The thing is Miami still wants to resign him, they have the $$$ and he would probably like to stay there. It's possible, though.

March 15th, 2013, 1:45 pm
Shotty wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

The Rams don't have much cap space and the FO probably didn't wan to deal with the Saffold situation . We could get him, but would need to do some more work to get space like do something to help Best in a way less hurtful towards the cap, just release Dom, and release Mike Thomas. The thing is Miami still wants to resign him, they have the $$$ and he would probably like to stay there. It's possible, though.

Schotty, there's no way we can release Dom now. It would create a PR disaster. 12 year Vet takes pay cut to play for Vet. min, and the Lions cut him anyway??? In addition, we're already replacing three OLman this year, we would be replacing four if we got rid of Dom... Horrible... Besides, we would only be saving around $1M.

If we're all-in for Jake Long we can afford him. We can afford to pay him the first year of a 4 year deal where we get him on the cheap this year and his salary is inflated next year. That said, that's a risky proposition too.

March 15th, 2013, 2:04 pm
Butkus Award Winner

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Shotty wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Schotty, there's no way we can release Dom now. It would create a PR disaster. 12 year Vet takes pay cut to play for Vet. min, and the Lions cut him anyway??? In addition, we're already replacing three OLman this year, we would be replacing four if we got rid of Dom... Horrible... Besides, we would only be saving around $1M.

If we're all-in for Jake Long we can afford him. We can afford to pay him the first year of a 4 year deal where we get him on the cheap this year and his salary is inflated next year. That said, that's a risky proposition too.

LOL at the part about Dom... Alright, never mind about him, but we really could do it if we were devoted to having him as our LT. The guy is a Pro Bowler, and according to Dr. James Andrews he's healthy for the first time in a while.

Also, yeah, it's very risky being that we might not even be able to pay him when his contract gets up there. I think it's worth the risk. LT would be crossed off the board at #5 overall, and we could land a beast in the front 7.

March 15th, 2013, 2:11 pm
1st Round Pick

Shotty wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Shotty wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

LOL at the part about Dom... Alright, never mind about him, but we really could do it if we were devoted to having him as our LT. The guy is a Pro Bowler, and according to Dr. James Andrews he's healthy for the first time in a while.

Also, yeah, it's very risky being that we might not even be able to pay him when his contract gets up there. I think it's worth the risk. LT would be crossed off the board at #5 overall, and we could land a beast in the front 7.

I really like Long. I think he is a great OT, but damn he is a huge risk. The Lions have a terrible time keeping anyone healthy. I truly believe this team has got to be working with an incredibly antiquated Strength & Conditioning department and Medical staff. The team constantly has players get the same injuries season after season and guys that start with injuries never seem to shake it with the exception of Stafford. I don't see the Lions being able to be a safe enough place to put Long, he needs a team that has a good track record of keeping guys healthy.

March 15th, 2013, 2:25 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Just wanted to chime in that I approve of the Lion free agent signings. Chris Houston was my #1 priority to re-sign and they got that done. Some people will argue that Avril should have been, but he was too one dimensional IMO and a liablity against the run to justify the money.

The addition of Quin should be huge. While he isn't the hitter that Delmas was, his coverage ability is much better and he isn't an injury waiting to happen like Delmas.

Bush is simply a replacement for Best, which is a need for this offense. I tried to warn people about Best when the Lions drafted him, but too many people drank the Kool Aid instead. I hate to say that I was right about his injury history, but it is what it is.

Jason Jones is a decent D Linman, but I would hate for him to start long term. He's a good situational pass rusher and I would probably give him the edge over Avril in terms of run defense, but that isn't saying much.

March 15th, 2013, 3:30 pm
slybri19 wrote:
Just wanted to chime in that I approve of the Lion free agent signings. Chris Houston was my #1 priority to re-sign and they got that done. Some people will argue that Avril should have been, but he was too one dimensional IMO and a liablity against the run to justify the money.

The addition of Quin should be huge. While he isn't the hitter that Delmas was, his coverage ability is much better and he isn't an injury waiting to happen like Delmas.

Bush is simply a replacement for Best, which is a need for this offense. I tried to warn people about Best when the Lions drafted him, but too many people drank the Kool Aid instead. I hate to say that I was right about his injury history, but it is what it is.

Jason Jones is a decent D Linman, but I would hate for him to start long term. He's a good situational pass rusher and I would probably give him the edge over Avril in terms of run defense, but that isn't saying much.

I agree pretty much right down the board. It would have been my preference to draft Best's replacement and allocate that money to a FA OLman (LT/RT). It would have freed up the ability to draft a DE/CB in the first round. This team's 2nd most important player is still not on the roster, and that is concerning to me.

I don't hate Jason Jones, but if he's going to be our starting DE we better have someone better playing opposite him. Jones/LoJack is not enough for this D to be successful, IMO.

March 15th, 2013, 3:50 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Dumervil released. Think he could be a good fit at the right price.

March 15th, 2013, 4:15 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

thelomasbrowns wrote:

I think you're beyond the definition of the term "idiot", but that's besides the point. :D

March 15th, 2013, 4:22 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

slybri19 wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

I think you're beyond the definition of the term "idiot", but that's besides the point. :D

Seriously--they agreed to a lower contract number but the fax from Dumervil's team didn't get there in time and they cut him.

The guy's a solid 4-3 DE. What's so idiotic about it?

March 15th, 2013, 4:28 pm
QB Coach

Quote:
Remember that Elvis Dumervil salary reduction news from earlier on Friday?

It might be time to forget all about that. Mike Klis of the Denver Post reports that the Broncos have released Dumervil after they did not get his paperwork regarding the reduction in salary from $12 million to $8 million until after the 2 p.m. MT deadline that made his original salary guaranteed.

According to Klis, the Broncos received the fax from Dumervil at 2:07 p.m. MT, seven minutes and one second after the Broncos had to pull the trigger to release Dumervil and avoid being on the hook for the full $12 million. The team could still re-sign Dumervil, but there would be different salary cap ramifications because Dumervil’s contract ran beyond the 2013 season.

So a settled situation that looked like another offseason win for the Broncos and John Elway has suddenly turned into a mess. They’ve got no Dumervil and will now have to scramble to find a way to bring him back or convince another free agent pass rusher to join their defense.

Never a dull moment in the NFL and, perhaps, a final sign that the fax machine is far from the most reliable way to be conducting business in 2013.

I can't believe that just happened. Way to wait til the last minute. Hey at least there's another DE out there in free agency.

March 15th, 2013, 4:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next