View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 8:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Lions re-sign Delmas 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post Lions re-sign Delmas
PFT wrote:
Lions bring back Louis Delmas

Posted by Mike Florio on March 15, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT

Some thought that the addition of safety Glover Quin would slam the door on the Lions bringing back safety Louis Delmas.

And yet he’s back anyway.

The veteran signed a two-year, $9.465 million contract, per a source with knowledge of the situation.

Delmas had visited the Rams and 49ers before staying with the team that picked him in the second round of the 2009 draft.

Nearly $5M per year for an injury prone player seems a bit much to me, but it is what it is.

March 15th, 2013, 3:42 pm
Post Re: Lions re-sign Delmas
slybri19 wrote:
PFT wrote:
Lions bring back Louis Delmas

Posted by Mike Florio on March 15, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT

Some thought that the addition of safety Glover Quin would slam the door on the Lions bringing back safety Louis Delmas.

And yet he’s back anyway.

The veteran signed a two-year, $9.465 million contract, per a source with knowledge of the situation.

Delmas had visited the Rams and 49ers before staying with the team that picked him in the second round of the 2009 draft.

Nearly $5M per year for an injury prone player seems a bit much to me, but it is what it is.

I would have rather signed someone more stable, even if they were less talented. At least we have Quin as well.

March 15th, 2013, 3:44 pm
RIP Killer

Delmas/Quin (IF healthy) would make our secondary much better. I like the fact it is just a two year deal.

March 15th, 2013, 3:53 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Pablo wrote:
Delmas/Quin (IF healthy) would make our secondary much better. I like the fact it is just a two year deal.

This!

NEVER GIVE UP!

March 15th, 2013, 3:55 pm

I haven't seen the contract details yet, but they better include weekly roster bonuses. Signing Delmas for that amount without them makes no sense. Then again, we're talking about the Lions.

March 15th, 2013, 3:55 pm
Team MVP

LionsFan4Life wrote:
Pablo wrote:

This!

Agree. Any chance they both start?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 15th, 2013, 3:56 pm
Heisman Winner

I hope the bulk of that 5 Million is incentives. But, glad to know that Delmas is smart enough to tuck his tail and come home, unlike one Mr Avril.

March 15th, 2013, 3:56 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

kdsberman wrote:
LionsFan4Life wrote:
Pablo wrote:

This!

One is a FS and the other a SS, so yes.

NEVER GIVE UP!

March 15th, 2013, 4:01 pm
Team MVP

LionsFan4Life wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
LionsFan4Life wrote:
Pablo wrote:

This!

One is a FS and the other a SS, so yes.

Oh ok I was thinking Quin was a FS.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 15th, 2013, 4:02 pm

Sorry to go off topic, but something bothers me here. I started this thread about Delmas re-signing, but there isn't a single thread about Bush, Quin, Jones, or Houton signing. Why is that? I leave this board for a FEW MONTHS and nothing gets done right. :wink:

March 15th, 2013, 4:08 pm
Heisman Winner

slybri19 wrote:
Sorry to go off topic, but something bothers me here. I started this thread about Delmas re-signing, but there isn't a single thread about Bush, Quin, Jones, or Houton signing. Why is that? I leave this board for a FEW MONTHS and nothing gets done right. :wink:

Honestly we've all been waiting for you to come back and clean everything up (and dirty up the off topic section).

March 15th, 2013, 4:09 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

I'm sure they set the contract up the right way--that's Lewand's area, not Mayhew's anyways. If he stays healthy, we have a pretty intimidating safety combo!

March 15th, 2013, 4:19 pm
Team MVP

Yeah I saw that number and it has to be the total value of the contract IF Delmas stays healthy or IF he reaches certain playing time incentives. If it's just straight $5M a year it's a waste. Not that I'm not glad he's back but until he plays a full season he's not worth all that money.

March 15th, 2013, 4:31 pm

aManNamedSuh wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

Honestly we've all been waiting for you to come back and clean everything up (and dirty up the off topic section).

While I appreciate your concern for my tardiness, working 8-12 hours per day, 6-7 days per week has something to do with it.

March 15th, 2013, 4:35 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:
I'm sure they set the contract up the right way--that's Lewand's area, not Mayhew's anyways. If he stays healthy, we have a pretty intimidating safety combo!

I would be willing to bet Delmas sees every penny of the deal. Even if he's hurt they're still going to bring him back for a 2014 campaign, unless they severely back-loaded the deal.

What's the guess on guaranteed money? I'm saying $4M with a low salary this year, say $1M, making his total cap hit this year $3ish, and $4M due next year. We'd save $2M cutting him next year, but we'll keep him because the possibility of having a "good" starting caliber S for cheap is "worth" $4M.

That's how I see it playing out...

March 15th, 2013, 4:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next