View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 8:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Lions re-sign Delmas 
Team MVP

Post Re: Lions re-sign Delmas
This question is for everyone to answer except WJB..

Just kidding man.

Anyway..

With the potential of having a pretty good safety combo, can we say we are about a linebacker and defensive end away from having a "good" defense?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 15th, 2013, 5:10 pm
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:

Just kidding man.

Anyway..

With the potential of having a pretty good safety combo, can we say we are about a linebacker and defensive end away from having a "good" defense?

I'd say slow your roll. As fans, we think in terms of holes. Problem is, holes are very fluid and that is how depth comes into play. If we are a LB and DE from a "good" defense, we are an injury away from it as well even if they are added. If Delmas goes down (again), how does Quin/Speivey sound to you?

IMO - we are still plenty of depth away from being good on defense at this point. Think of GB when they won the SB and all the guys they lost, it was their depth that made them a good (not great) defense.

March 15th, 2013, 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
Butkus Award Winner

kdsberman wrote:

Just kidding man.

Anyway..

Depends on what you mean by good. If we add a guy like Dumervil, Shaugnessy, or another good-enough-to-start DE and get a guy who's a competent OLB, one that can blitz well, cover well and tackle well then I'd say its almost good enough to win a championship. Still need a proven LCB, depth at linebacker and DE as well as the listed needs.

March 15th, 2013, 5:17 pm
Div 1 - Starter

kdsberman wrote:

Just kidding man.

Anyway..

I don't think the defense can be considered "good" until we've got the depth (with talent) to overcome injuries. That is the remaining legacy of the Moron Era. The starters really sucked, and the backups were even worse. That's why teams like Pittsburgh and New England are consistently good - they draft players to sit behind established starters and learn the game. The Lions still aren't to that point.

March 15th, 2013, 5:34 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Pablo wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Just kidding man.

Anyway..

I'd say slow your roll. As fans, we think in terms of holes. Problem is, holes are very fluid and that is how depth comes into play. If we are a LB and DE from a "good" defense, we are an injury away from it as well even if they are added. If Delmas goes down (again), how does Quin/Speivey sound to you?

IMO - we are still plenty of depth away from being good on defense at this point. Think of GB when they won the SB and all the guys they lost, it was their depth that made them a good (not great) defense.

But that's the issue with depth that you drafted. Unless you're talking about a rotational spot like the D-Line or nickel corner, you really don't know what you have until you're forced into starting a dude you took in the 5th round or whatever. Definitely panned out for GB. We'll see how it works for us. Green is an example of a purely depth guy who was forced to play but then made big strides during the season, so maybe we can afford to be a bit optimistic.

March 15th, 2013, 5:37 pm
kdsberman wrote:

Just kidding man.

Anyway..

We are a good DE, good LB, and mediocre CB away from a "good" (meaning "solid") starting defense. That said, a good DE and good LB aren't "cheap" or "easy" to come by.

Mario Williams was the 2nd coming of Julius Peppers in the draft, and it took him, with his impressive size and speed combo, 3 years to mature into a good NFL DE.

Levy needs to be the worst LB on our LB corps, and Tulloch needs to be our second worst LB on our LB corps for that unit to be considered "good." Tulloch is "solid" doesn't do much right, doesn't do much wrong, and Levy kinda sucks. We need one playmaker in our LB corps to really bring that unit together.

Further, Pablo is right, there is virtually ZERO depth on this team. Bently, Greenwood can be considered alright depth at CB, but I don't consider Young/Lewis good depth at DE, esp. when LoJack and Jones are starting... at least for now... We have no depth at LB, no depth at S, which, IMO is why our special teams suck. We have no talent on our special teams unit, because we have no talent further down on our roster.

March 15th, 2013, 5:37 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Just kidding man.

Anyway..

We are a good DE, good LB, and mediocre CB away from a "good" (meaning "solid") starting defense. That said, a good DE and good LB aren't "cheap" or "easy" to come by.

Mario Williams was the 2nd coming of Julius Peppers in the draft, and it took him, with his impressive size and speed combo, 3 years to mature into a good NFL DE.

Levy needs to be the worst LB on our LB corps, and Tulloch needs to be our second worst LB on our LB corps for that unit to be considered "good." Tulloch is "solid" doesn't do much right, doesn't do much wrong, and Levy kinda sucks. We need one playmaker in our LB corps to really bring that unit together.

Further, Pablo is right, there is virtually ZERO depth on this team. Bently, Greenwood can be considered alright depth at CB, but I don't consider Young/Lewis good depth at DE, esp. when LoJack and Jones are starting... at least for now... We have no depth at LB, no depth at S, which, IMO is why our special teams suck. We have no talent on our special teams unit, because we have no talent further down on our roster.

No depth at safety? I'd say Spievey and Carey are pretty solid back-ups.

March 15th, 2013, 5:39 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Just kidding man.

Anyway..

You would... IMO Spievey has no business being in the NFL.

I do think Carey is alright.

March 15th, 2013, 5:46 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Just kidding man.

Anyway..

You would... IMO Spievey has no business being in the NFL.

I do think Carey is alright.

Agreed, Spievey is to me as Burleson is to WJB! :cheers:

March 15th, 2013, 5:48 pm
Profile WWW
Pablo wrote:
Agreed, Spievey is to me as Burleson is to WJB! :cheers:

Ha... that's actually not fair... I think Burleson is a decent slot WR, the issue is I think he's worth about $2M per season, and he was making 3Xs that for most of his career here.

March 15th, 2013, 5:50 pm

Don't take my word for it, here's O'Hara:

Quote:
@MikeOHaraNFL
Shopping when Delmas signed back. It's a bonus signing, gives the Leos 3 starting safeties -- Quin, Delmas, Spievey. Do not forget Don Carey
https://twitter.com/MikeOHaraNFL/status ... 4232358912

March 15th, 2013, 5:50 pm
Team MVP

I should have specified "starting defense". Trust me, I dont for a second think we are going to be Ravens/Niners/Bears level defense. But the potential to be considered "good" is there.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

March 15th, 2013, 6:01 pm
QB Coach

I have a feeling we're going to stay put at LB and start either Palmer or Travis Lewis. I'm not advocating that, it's just the feeling I get, unless we re-sign Durant.

First round we're getting either a DE, LT or CB. Originally I wanted either a CB or S in round two but with Delmas and Quin on board I think they'll wait to take a S til next year, so it could be a CB if we don't take one first. Round three will bring us interior line depth a de or a lb. I think at most we'll have 2 rookies pushed into starting roles on either side of the ball, so we'll still need to bring in some mid level free agents to fill out the team. The later rounds need to bring us some depth with cheap guys who we can develop.

March 15th, 2013, 7:50 pm
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
I have a feeling we're going to stay put at LB and start either Palmer or Travis Lewis. I'm not advocating that, it's just the feeling I get, unless we re-sign Durant.

First round we're getting either a DE, LT or CB. Originally I wanted either a CB or S in round two but with Delmas and Quin on board I think they'll wait to take a S til next year, so it could be a CB if we don't take one first. Round three will bring us interior line depth a de or a lb. I think at most we'll have 2 rookies pushed into starting roles on either side of the ball, so we'll still need to bring in some mid level free agents to fill out the team. The later rounds need to bring us some depth with cheap guys who we can develop.

I will admit that S should be filled, until Delmas gets hurt. Even then we should be better off than last year. Last year our S play had to be some of the worst in the league.

Hopefully a good CB or DE falls to us in round 2, unless we address either position in round 1. I still think we're sort of screwed at LT, and I'm curious to see what Mayhew plans to do about it.

IMO starting Lewis at LB is a huge mistake. We'll see, I guess. That said, we really can't afford anyone else. That's what I meant when i said this team is "phucked" salary cap wise. We're going to be starting two LBs that likely wouldn't start on any other team in the NFL. Not... good...

March 15th, 2013, 8:13 pm
Team MVP

Like inheritedlionsfan said, I think it is almost a certainty that they go OT, DE, or CB.

March 15th, 2013, 8:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next