View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 12:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Ronnell Lewis 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Re: Ronnell Lewis
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Boz wrote:
After seeing that tape I think we could have a sleeper on our hands. That is as already stated several times, if he can bring the whoop badonkadonk to the NFL. Get that man some "Quality H2O"

After watching it, I don't see what everyone sees in him. He looks more like a pass-rushing 3-4 OLB to me. Not once in that "highlight" reel did he beat an OT off of the ball. In fact, he kind of hesitates at the snap and does this weird stutter step deal. He has a high-motor, but effort only takes you so far in the NFL. Most of his plays in that reel came after the OL switched their focus and stopped blocking him. He wasn't even shedding most of the blocks on the reel.

Hopefully he plays better than I expect, but I'm not expecting much from the kid.

Agree, think he will be another one of Mayhew's bungled draft picks.

March 15th, 2013, 11:06 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

I saw exactly what I saw before the he was drafted, a special team ace and a ROLB. Unless they are absolutely in love with him as a ST player or he has shown he can consistently cover as a SLB they should shop him to the Steelers. Maybe they could get a 5th rounder or get lucky and get their 4th rounder back at worst take a conditional pick for 2014 based on PT and they might get an even higher pick. He is the exact type of high motor OLB they like and they need one to replace Harrison.

March 16th, 2013, 7:06 am
Varsity Captain

If he has all of those attributes why trade him?

March 16th, 2013, 10:27 am
sweetd20 wrote:
I saw exactly what I saw before the he was drafted, a special team ace and a ROLB. Unless they are absolutely in love with him as a ST player or he has shown he can consistently cover as a SLB they should shop him to the Steelers. Maybe they could get a 5th rounder or get lucky and get their 4th rounder back at worst take a conditional pick for 2014 based on PT and they might get an even higher pick. He is the exact type of high motor OLB they like and they need one to replace Harrison.

I agree completely sweet.

I'm not being negative here... To those that have watched the "highlight" film provided (remember, that's the best of the best that the kid has to offer), go back and tell me one thing that he did in that video that makes you think he would be a good down 4-3 DL man. He never fired off of the snap well in any highlight, and he wasn't particularly good at beating blockers. Most of those highlights the play took too long to develop, the OL moved on to another blocker, and he ended up cleaning up the play.

Don't get me wrong, his pursuit and closing speed is impressive, but that's not what you're looking for in a wide 9 DE.

Boz wrote:
If he has all of those attributes why trade him?

Wrong skill set for the team. He's a pass rushing, run-stopping, high-motor 3-4 OLB. He's not a DE, which is what we drafted him to be.

March 16th, 2013, 11:26 am
League MVP

sweetd20 wrote:

In addition, this kid did not have an encouraging first year. He was supposed to be our special teams ace after Mayhew and Schwartz pretty much acknowledged that they didnt have a position for him. Problem was, he was only average on special teams and because he didnt have a position was active only in 8 games and didnt have a lot of production. The only encouraging thing I saw from him was a pretty good burst off the d line while playing end late in one of the preseason games. Now maybe he s made some strides with work outs, playbook study and technique work but its still not a whole lot to go off of. Certainly, the statement that we re going to be saying "Avril who" because of Lewis of all people seems unlikely. Avril as a rookie at least had 5 sacks and 4 forced fumbles in comparison to Lewis 2 sp teams tackles.

March 16th, 2013, 11:46 am
Varsity Captain

You young dudes have no sense of the basics of being an NFL player. Chris Speilman was to small and to slow to be a pro MLB. Well it turned out that he was one of the best that the Lions ever had, at least in modern history.
Couldn't we find one of those position where he just runs around and and hit anyone in his way? Granted in that film he might left alone one several plays but each time he was good enough to recognize the situation and capitalize on the situation. He didm't spend that much time in the backfield by accident. If he did, there would have been several coaches fired and several players encoureged to commit a crime. If he was left alone that much or used a stutter step, he came through like a rocket, do we have anybody at LB or DE that we can say that about?

That first statement was just fing with you guys.....lol.....maybe?

March 16th, 2013, 12:22 pm
League MVP

Boz wrote:
You young dudes have no sense of the basics of being an NFL player. Chris Speilman was to small and to slow to be a pro MLB. Well it turned out that he was one of the best that the Lions ever had, at least in modern history.
Couldn't we find one of those position where he just runs around and and hit anyone in his way? Granted in that film he might left alone one several plays but each time he was good enough to recognize the situation and capitalize on the situation. He didm't spend that much time in the backfield by accident. If he did, there would have been several coaches fired and several players encoureged to commit a crime. If he was left alone that much or used a stutter step, he came through like a rocket, do we have anybody at LB or DE that we can say that about?

I award you no points and G*d have mercy on your soul

March 16th, 2013, 12:25 pm
Varsity Captain

I love you too.....lmao
You gotta admit that that post had some merit

March 16th, 2013, 12:47 pm
Boz wrote:

Here's my break down, absent the ST plays:

Play 1 - After four seconds, Qb runs up the pocket into Lewis
Play 2 - PA pass that took about 4-5 seconds, QB hesitates to throw the ball, and steps up into a Lewis sack
Play 3 - Qb stares at his WRs too long (4 seconds) and moves left, right into Lewis
Play 4 - Bad Qb read and Int - good play by Lewis, but 1) he's not going to be making that play as an NFL DE, and 2) it was caused by a poor decision by the Qb
Play 5 - PA pass, QB took too long, panicked, and ran right into Lewis, again holding the ball for 4 + seconds.
Play 6 - Nothing special, he makes a tackle on a Qb
Play 7 - Weird broken play where the Qb falls down, good tackle, good penetration, but it took him 4 yards to bring the guy down.
Play 8 - Good tackle, good read, nothing special.
Play 9 - Good tackle, but he went completely unblocked.
Play 10 - Nothing special, unblocked and the Qb threw it to a covered WR
Play 11 - Another "coverage sack" Qb staring out into nowhere, and gets sacked after 4 seconds
Play 12 - Bad Qb read, play took 4 seconds behind the LOS, bad handoff, Qb should have kept it, nothing special.
Play 13 - Two missed tackles, OG left Lewis to take on another player, and Lewis did the cleanup, no big deal here.
Play 14 - Good job darting through the OL on the stunt, great job getting to the Qb
Play 15 - Really bad job by the RT, looked like he was already looking at blocking the S and let Lewis walk right by him.
Play 16 - Really good job shooting the gap and splitting the blocking. Mostly beat two Rbs, as the RT was already looking at the 2nd level, but still a good job.
Play 17 - He actually got owned once by the RT, brought to the ground, and got up to make the play. Good motor, but he's not going to have that luxury in the NFL.
Play 18 - Good job fighting off of the RT, but again, stuttered at the LOS and engaged the RT. He didn't really do much to get around him. Looked more like bad RT play than anything.
Play 19 - Bad OL play. There was a whole pile of people on the ground
Play 20 - Qb was running around aimlessly not protecting the ball. Sack and FF happened 5 seconds after the snap. Good play to get him from behind, but again, I don't think he's going to have that luxury in the NFL.

And keep in mind, these are this guys highlights... This is the best of the best of Lewis...

March 16th, 2013, 1:28 pm
Varsity Captain

He just made more tackles than any other Lion. So again what is your point?

March 16th, 2013, 1:32 pm
Boz wrote:
He just made more tackles than any other Lion. So again what is your point?

My point is, those plays were against collegiate level talent, and largely relied on other's people's mistakes, moreso than his own ability. He won't be able to do in the NFL what he was able to do there.

March 16th, 2013, 1:35 pm

Avril was a 3-4 OLB coming out. I think the Schwartz defense can accommodate those tweeners.

March 16th, 2013, 2:19 pm
NFL Veteran

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Avril was a 3-4 OLB coming out. I think the Schwartz defense can accommodate those tweeners.

I agree, until they stop playing the wide-9 everyone is going to have to get used to seeing these Ronnell Lewis type players. Avril learned to get sacks without having any pass rush moves, so I'm sure Lewis can manage something out there if he learns to not hesitate at the snap.

March 16th, 2013, 2:27 pm

Avril was actually playing DE his last two years at Purdue if I'm not mistaken. As far as his time at LB in college I think that was as a SLB. As far as LewisnI think this is another case of people thinking that because some others don't think he really fits at a certain position they don't like player. I like Lewis I just don't see him as a starting DE in the NFL wide-9 or not. If he shows he can cover I'd take him as a SLB very day of the week. Maybe I'll be wrong and it would be great if I am but I just don't see him as a DE. Besides his size I think he had pretty short arms when people say it isn't good for a OT to have short arms it's even worse for a DE.

March 16th, 2013, 2:47 pm
sweetd20 wrote:
Avril was actually playing DE his last two years at Purdue if I'm not mistaken. As far as his time at LB in college I think that was as a SLB. As far as LewisnI think this is another case of people thinking that because some others don't think he really fits at a certain position they don't like player. I like Lewis I just don't see him as a starting DE in the NFL wide-9 or not. If he shows he can cover I'd take him as a SLB very day of the week. Maybe I'll be wrong and it would be great if I am but I just don't see him as a DE. Besides his size I think he had pretty short arms when people say it isn't good for a OT to have short arms it's even worse for a DE.

The problem with the LB stuff, IMO, is... what then do to with Travis Lewis/Tahir Whitehead/Ashlee Palmer?

We have guys on the roster that have been practicing at SLB for up to three years. I have to believe they would be a better fit than moving this guy that's never practice the position.

Further, don't get me wrong, I don't mind giving him a shot, but it should be done as a rotational guy, or a situational guy. We SHOULD NOT go into the season relying on him, Ashlee Palmer, and whomever we're going to be relying on at LT/RT/OG (I'm fine with relying on Reiff/Hilliard/Nagy for RT/OG, but we do not have our LT on our current roster, at least not a prudent LT).

March 16th, 2013, 2:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next