View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2014, 12:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Lions re-sign Delmas 
Mr. Irrelevant

Post Re: Lions re-sign Delmas
kdsberman wrote:
Like inheritedlionsfan said, I think it is almost a certainty that they go OT, DE, or CB.

Think they would go OT if the one they want is there. If not, then DE. Believe they could go with the current corners they have, Houston/Greenwood on one side, Bentley/Green at the other. Now that the Safety position has been solidified, Delmas, Quin, Carey and Silva, (agree with Pablo about Spievey) think that alleviates the need to draft one early, although I would like to see one drafted for quality depth.
It's great to see the Lions plugging some of the obvious holes.

March 15th, 2013, 10:54 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

$5 million/year seems like a lot of money for a safety who isn't elite and who seems to be injured half the time. Couldn't they have gotten him for $4 million or $3.5 million? Did any other teams even make him an offer?

March 16th, 2013, 12:18 am
1st Round Pick

Growler wrote:
$5 million/year seems like a lot of money for a safety who isn't elite and who seems to be injured half the time. Couldn't they have gotten him for $4 million or $3.5 million? Did any other teams even make him an offer?

That's the total amount for the deal, you won't know how much he is really getting until the details are released. Most of the money could be set up like the contract Backus had that required him to play 90% of the starts to get $4M of his deal. Wait till you see the details before you judge the deal.

March 16th, 2013, 12:38 am
rao wrote:
Growler wrote:

That's the total amount for the deal, you won't know how much he is really getting until the details are released. Most of the money could be set up like the contract Backus had that required him to play 90% of the starts to get $4M of his deal. Wait till you see the details before you judge the deal.

Total deal is $9.7 million for two years. I'm guessing he'll make at least $3M this year and cost us $2M to cut next year. Meaning, he's going to make at least $5 for the one year, or more.

March 16th, 2013, 11:19 am
1st Round Pick

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
Growler wrote:

Total deal is $9.7 million for two years. I'm guessing he'll make at least $3M this year and cost us $2M to cut next year. Meaning, he's going to make at least $5 for the one year, or more.

That's still just you guessing. I'm not saying your wrong, but that total may have incentives inflating the deal. It could just as easily have $3M-$4M of the deal be a bonus for hitting certain playing time requirements. I'm not optimistic because he picked the Lions over the Rams and 49ers, but I'm still holding out hope they put in some type of injury clause. They can't afford to be paying guys that only play half the season the same as they pay guys like Quin and Houston.

March 16th, 2013, 11:38 am
League MVP

Pablo wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
This question is for everyone to answer except WJB..

Just kidding man.

Anyway..

With the potential of having a pretty good safety combo, can we say we are about a linebacker and defensive end away from having a "good" defense?

I'd say slow your roll. As fans, we think in terms of holes. Problem is, holes are very fluid and that is how depth comes into play. If we are a LB and DE from a "good" defense, we are an injury away from it as well even if they are added. If Delmas goes down (again), how does Quin/Speivey sound to you?

IMO - we are still plenty of depth away from being good on defense at this point. Think of GB when they won the SB and all the guys they lost, it was their depth that made them a good (not great) defense.

I agree with what you are saying and Im really concerned about the DE position. Jason Jones doesnt seem like he should be a full time wide 9 DE. Maybe they are looking for a once acclaimed vet to come in and have a breakthrough like Jason Babin did 2 years ago at a low price. Still, the Lions just spent on the order of $10 mill/year at safety but added only one reliable player and made no changes yet at corner. But at the most important position group on this defense they re rolling with Willie Young and Ronnel Lewis. Honestly I felt that Don Carey showed more at safety last season than Willie Young at DE has in his four seasons with the exception of preseason games. Maybe there s still some way to bring in a veteran DE, I just think we overpaid for Delmas and possibly also rationed too much money at the safety position and not enough at DE or CB.

March 16th, 2013, 12:34 pm
Varsity Captain

Lewand said yesterday that they were not close too being done with FA. What that have in mind I haven't a clue, just hope it's mot a running back, unless he's 6'6" and 300lbs.

March 16th, 2013, 12:55 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Boz wrote:
Lewand said yesterday that they were not close too being done with FA. What that have in mind I haven't a clue, just hope it's mot a running back, unless he's 6'6" and 300lbs.

Lewand, Mayhew, and Schwartz have said many times that the roster is always a work in progress. It is very early in the off season and we have a long way until the start of the season. We are just getting thru the first wave of free agency. Players will get desperate and sign for a much cheaper contract on a "prove it" type deal soon enough. Lets not forget about the surprise cuts after the draft, again in June, and when teams take the rosters down to 53 players. Plus who knows what type of trades that could happen in the draft or even until the deadline. We are far from seeing the team that will play next season.

March 16th, 2013, 5:39 pm
Veteran General Manager

CMWSR wrote:
Boz wrote:

Lewand, Mayhew, and Schwartz have said many times that the roster is always a work in progress. It is very early in the off season and we have a long way until the start of the season. We are just getting thru the first wave of free agency. Players will get desperate and sign for a much cheaper contract on a "prove it" type deal soon enough. Lets not forget about the surprise cuts after the draft, again in June, and when teams take the rosters down to 53 players. Plus who knows what type of trades that could happen in the draft or even until the deadline. We are far from seeing the team that will play next season.

I am going to be keeping an eye on anyone the 49ers cut at the end of training camp. With all the free agents they have signed plus what was already on their roster, plus 15 draft picks!!!!!! They will be cutting several good players.

March 16th, 2013, 7:56 pm
Butkus Award Winner

BillySims wrote:
CMWSR wrote:
Boz wrote:

I am going to be keeping an eye on anyone the 49ers cut at the end of training camp. With all the free agents they have signed plus what was already on their roster, plus 15 draft picks!!!!!! They will be cutting several good players.

Good point. We really might land 1 or 2 starters like this. I wish we could copy the Giants... their GM is the best at finding hidden talent. Example: Stevie Brown with the Raiders was a backup safety who didn't see the field much and was mainly a STer. The Giants see the talent, grab him, and he has 8 interceptions his first year there. We NEED this if we aren't picking up big name FAs.

March 16th, 2013, 8:24 pm
RIP Killer

freep wrote:
Much of Louis Delmas' pay with Lions tied to playing time

The Detroit Lions thought enough of safety Louis Delmas to give him a new two-year contract last week, but most of the money in the deal is tied to playing-time incentives that Delmas will only earn if he’s on the field.

Delmas, who has missed 13 games over the past two seasons because of knee injuries, got a $1-million signing bonus and has a minimum base salary of $715,000 this year, but he can earn another $1.75 million if he plays in all 16 games.

According to language in his contract, if Delmas plays 42% of the Lions’ defensive snaps this year, he’ll make an additional $109,375 for every game he’s on the 46-player game-day roster.

Next year, Delmas is due a base salary of $5.5 million and has a $500,000 roster bonus.

Last year, Delmas missed eight games after August surgery to relieve tendinitis in his left knee. In 2011, he missed the final five games of the regular season with a partially torn ligament in his right knee.

Delmas said earlier this month he has not needed more surgery this off-season, just rest and rehab.

Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said Monday that Delmas should start opposite free agent addition Glover Quin in the secondary this fall, and that the team is ready to manage his practice time if necessary.

“We’re on top of where he is physically and with his rehab,” Mayhew said. “That’s one reason why we brought him in for a physical. We’ve been in constant monitoring of his situation with his knee, and we're certainly continuing to work on his rehab and to get it right.

“We’re going to continue to rehab it and, in an ideal world, he’s 100%, full-go just like everybody else is, (does) everything everybody else does. But if he needs that, then we’re open to managing him the way he needs to be managed.”

Lions coach Jim Schwartz said today he was “really, really happy to get Delmas back.”

“A leader on our defense, a guy, when he’s on the field for us, is a difference maker,” Schwartz said at the NFC coaches' breakfast. “I think I’ve said a lot of times that when we’re good on defense, it’s because we play with Lou Delmas’ personality. We missed him on the field last year, we missed him in practice. We missed his energy, we missed his ability to range to make plays."

http://www.freep.com/article/20130320/S ... uis-delmas

March 20th, 2013, 4:56 pm
Profile WWW
1st Round Pick

Pablo wrote:
freep wrote:
Much of Louis Delmas' pay with Lions tied to playing time

The Detroit Lions thought enough of safety Louis Delmas to give him a new two-year contract last week, but most of the money in the deal is tied to playing-time incentives that Delmas will only earn if he’s on the field.

Delmas, who has missed 13 games over the past two seasons because of knee injuries, got a $1-million signing bonus and has a minimum base salary of $715,000 this year, but he can earn another $1.75 million if he plays in all 16 games.

According to language in his contract, if Delmas plays 42% of the Lions’ defensive snaps this year, he’ll make an additional $109,375 for every game he’s on the 46-player game-day roster.

Next year, Delmas is due a base salary of $5.5 million and has a $500,000 roster bonus.

Last year, Delmas missed eight games after August surgery to relieve tendinitis in his left knee. In 2011, he missed the final five games of the regular season with a partially torn ligament in his right knee.

Delmas said earlier this month he has not needed more surgery this off-season, just rest and rehab.

Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said Monday that Delmas should start opposite free agent addition Glover Quin in the secondary this fall, and that the team is ready to manage his practice time if necessary.

“We’re on top of where he is physically and with his rehab,” Mayhew said. “That’s one reason why we brought him in for a physical. We’ve been in constant monitoring of his situation with his knee, and we're certainly continuing to work on his rehab and to get it right.

“We’re going to continue to rehab it and, in an ideal world, he’s 100%, full-go just like everybody else is, (does) everything everybody else does. But if he needs that, then we’re open to managing him the way he needs to be managed.”

Lions coach Jim Schwartz said today he was “really, really happy to get Delmas back.”

“A leader on our defense, a guy, when he’s on the field for us, is a difference maker,” Schwartz said at the NFC coaches' breakfast. “I think I’ve said a lot of times that when we’re good on defense, it’s because we play with Lou Delmas’ personality. We missed him on the field last year, we missed him in practice. We missed his energy, we missed his ability to range to make plays."

http://www.freep.com/article/20130320/S ... uis-delmas

Sounds like they signed him to a very team friendly "prove it" contract. If he continues to get hurt they can easily ask him to take a pay cut to stay on as depth or they can just cut him. Good move from the front office and very surprising they won out with such a team friendly move against the 49ers.

March 20th, 2013, 5:07 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Excellent signing. With Glover Quinn secure at one safety spot, either Delmas plays at the other one or Spivey will, good move by the FO in addressing one of the bigger weaknesses.

March 20th, 2013, 5:17 pm
RIP Killer

Wow, this pretty much guarantees a 1 year deal, which means drafting a safety is a must do now. Either this year or next, they must draft a S.

March 20th, 2013, 5:38 pm
conversion02 wrote:
Wow, this pretty much guarantees a 1 year deal, which means drafting a safety is a must do now. Either this year or next, they must draft a S.

We'll... We can all but guaranty that he'll miss at least one game. The Lions are notorious for not allowing their players to reach their incentives. IMO that's one of the problems with the organization. They think they're being "shrewd" but they're just screwing themselves, IMO. Jeff Backus had a contract clause that gave him a bonus for playing in 90% of the snaps. He played in something like 89.6% - 89.9% of the snaps. We do it all the time.

Good contract, but it's still going to pay him pretty good. I'd bet he still plays in 10 games this year, costing us around $3M for his first year. I really don't see us paying him the $6M next year, but we'll see.

March 20th, 2013, 5:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next