View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 2nd, 2014, 10:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post your realistic perfect 2013 Lions draft scenario 
Butkus Award Winner

Post Re: Post your realistic perfect 2013 Lions draft scenario
BillySims wrote:
Lane Johnson will be the best of the 3. Draft Johnson and put him at LT. If he struggles this year, move him to RT and throw Reiff in at LT.

If he had just 1 more year of experience at tackle, his athleticism would probably make him the best of the three IMO, but that isn't the case. Think about it. We probably won't be able to pay him after his rookie deal is up, so you might as well get the guy who will start the fastest to get the most out of him. I might be wrong and Lane might step in and dominate from day 1, but I don't like risks when you absolutely NEED a solution at LT.

March 16th, 2013, 8:30 pm
Team MVP

BillySims wrote:
Lane Johnson will be the best of the 3. Draft Johnson and put him at LT. If he struggles this year, move him to RT and throw Reiff in at LT.

But what are we gaining if we draft Lane Johnson at 5 and just plan on the possibility of putting him at RT? If u draft a guy that high he better be a LT.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 16th, 2013, 8:52 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Shotty wrote:
BillySims wrote:

If he had just 1 more year of experience at tackle, his athleticism would probably make him the best of the three IMO, but that isn't the case. Think about it. We probably won't be able to pay him after his rookie deal is up, so you might as well get the guy who will start the fastest to get the most out of him. I might be wrong and Lane might step in and dominate from day 1, but I don't like risks when you absolutely NEED a solution at LT.

So we might as well fold the team and cut all the players loose because your afraid we can't afford them. Might as well quit rather than field a team that is just going to suck year after year.

March 16th, 2013, 9:01 pm
Hall of Fame Player

kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:

But what are we gaining if we draft Lane Johnson at 5 and just plan on the possibility of putting him at RT? If u draft a guy that high he better be a LT.

I did not say leave him at RT permanently. Just for the remainder of his rookie year while he gets his feet wet.

March 16th, 2013, 9:02 pm
NFL Team Captain

alright after spending about 2 hours researching and writing a full write up on each prospect, something happened and it did not take so, I'm making it short and sweet:

#1 Best OT on the board
Love or hate Backus, he was solid and this becomes more than a need

#2 Corneilus "Tank" Carradine - DE Florida State
recovering from ACL, but ahead of schedule and this guy is a beast, he falls to the 2nd due to the injury, and we benefit

#3 Da'Rick Rogers - WR TN Tech
Another WR named Rogers and character issues, call me crazy, but I think he's learned his lesson and he would be an absolute beast on the opposite side of Calvin

#5 William Gholston - DE Michigan State
Highly recruited but never quite lived up to the hype. Sounds familiar? His cousin ended up a bust, but heres to hoping that the Washburn/Cunningham system turns him into the prospect everyone thought he was.

#6 Everett Dawkins - DT Florida State
We need some rotation relief and Dawkins could slide right in and give Suh and Fairley a breather. Although he might not last this long.

#7 Caleb Sturgis - PK Florida
Hanson still has the leg to kick the field goals, but struggles to get the ball into the end zone on the kick offs. I love Hanson, you love Hanson, but his time is coming to an end.

Alright, there you go... tear it apart!

March 16th, 2013, 10:46 pm
Butkus Award Winner

BillySims wrote:
Shotty wrote:
BillySims wrote:

So we might as well fold the team and cut all the players loose because your afraid we can't afford them. Might as well quit rather than field a team that is just going to suck year after year.

LOL. What I was saying was just in case something like that happens, why not take the more experienced, younger (Fisher and Joeckel are both younger than LJ) guy if he's there?

I do see your point, though. Lane Johnson really reminds me of Trent Williams, and it'd be amazing to have Stafford being able to count on a Trent Williams to protect him.

March 16th, 2013, 11:30 pm
NFL Veteran

I don't mean to focus on just one guy in this thread, but I've seen him brought up before and this last scenario has him in it. Can someone more familiar with MSU clue me in? Is Gholston getting looked at just because he's from MSU? I don't understand what he does for the Lions. He can't pass rush in the wide-9 as a DE and unless he puts on more weight to become a dedicated DT, I just can't see the benefit of adding him to the roster. Maybe I'm missing something that only shows up when watching the guy on film because his stats don't even give a reason to draft him. I wouldn't draft the guy unless I'm running a 3-4.

March 16th, 2013, 11:52 pm
NFL Team Captain

rao wrote:
I don't mean to focus on just one guy in this thread, but I've seen him brought up before and this last scenario has him in it. Can someone more familiar with MSU clue me in? Is Gholston getting looked at just because he's from MSU? I don't understand what he does for the Lions. He can't pass rush in the wide-9 as a DE and unless he puts on more weight to become a dedicated DT, I just can't see the benefit of adding him to the roster. Maybe I'm missing something that only shows up when watching the guy on film because his stats don't even give a reason to draft him. I wouldn't draft the guy unless I'm running a 3-4.

He weighs 281lbs, how much more weight does he need to gain? Keep in mind he's 5th round pick or later, any team that takes him earlier is asking for trouble. He's boom or bust, just like his cousin.

March 17th, 2013, 12:27 am
NFL Veteran

TNLionsFanatic wrote:
rao wrote:

He weighs 281lbs, how much more weight does he need to gain? Keep in mind he's 5th round pick or later, any team that takes him earlier is asking for trouble. He's boom or bust, just like his cousin.

I would think William would need to put on another 15-20 lbs to play as a dedicated DT. William is a 3-4 DE in the NFL, he doesn't have the athletic ability to get around or through a NFL OT before the play develops if he's lined up in a wide-9.

His cousin was a freak of nature athletically and looked like a pass rusher, he had the ability to be a boom or bust pick. If Vernon was coming out this year I would take him over William 100% of the time if I'm the Lions.

March 17th, 2013, 9:58 am
NFL Team Captain

rao wrote:
TNLionsFanatic wrote:
rao wrote:

I would think William would need to put on another 15-20 lbs to play as a dedicated DT. William is a 3-4 DE in the NFL, he doesn't have the athletic ability to get around or through a NFL OT before the play develops if he's lined up in a wide-9.

His cousin was a freak of nature athletically and looked like a pass rusher, he had the ability to be a boom or bust pick. If Vernon was coming out this year I would take him over William 100% of the time if I'm the Lions.

Please don't take me as being argumentative, obviously I'm not a scout or a coach, I think we both agree he's not top talent, but I'm confused as to why you keep eluding to the fact that he doesn't look the part of a DE? His frame is his best attribute, he has drawn physical comparisons to Julius Peppers, too bad his play hasn't done the same. The guy really is a monster, he just doesn't play like one. He is very atheletic, maybe a little slow off the ball, but in the wide 9 wouldn't an extra step before engagement be a good thing for a guy like Gholston? Again, I'm not arguing just asking and I surely won't be disappointed if we don't draft him? I look at him as a project and rotation guy, somebody that can come in and hold the fort down while the horses catch a breath.

March 17th, 2013, 11:01 am
NFL Veteran

TNLionsFanatic wrote:
rao wrote:
TNLionsFanatic wrote:
rao wrote:

Please don't take me as being argumentative, obviously I'm not a scout or a coach, I think we both agree he's not top talent, but I'm confused as to why you keep eluding to the fact that he doesn't look the part of a DE? His frame is his best attribute, he has drawn physical comparisons to Julius Peppers, too bad his play hasn't done the same. The guy really is a monster, he just doesn't play like one. He is very atheletic, maybe a little slow off the ball, but in the wide 9 wouldn't an extra step before engagement be a good thing for a guy like Gholston? Again, I'm not arguing just asking and I surely won't be disappointed if we don't draft him? I look at him as a project and rotation guy, somebody that can come in and hold the fort down while the horses catch a breath.

I'm not taking it as argumentative at all, I honestly just don't see the interest in him. I really do want to see if I'm missing something about him. I've heard him compared to Peppers before, but I don't see where they match up. They are similar in size, but that's the only thing I can say they are the same at. Maybe it's because he plays in the slow big 10 that makes him look more dynamic, but the idea he is even half the athlete that Peppers was is absurd. If he is slow off the ball he'll be a big liability for the wide-9 as a pass rusher. The Lions don't need run stuffing DEs, They already have Jason Jones playing DE and could bring back Lojack. If they are going to take chances on guys as "boom or bust" then I feel they should be going after pass rushers. If they are going after a bigger DE I'd rather see them take a guy like Lavar Edwards, that has shown a little bit of everything and was behind two good players, so there is a possibility he was hidden. In Ghoulston you saw what he has to offer and he seems more like an "average or bust" pick with very little chance of a "boom".

March 17th, 2013, 1:48 pm
TNLionsFanatic wrote:
alright after spending about 2 hours researching and writing a full write up on each prospect, something happened and it did not take so, I'm making it short and sweet:

#1 Best OT on the board

recovering from ACL, but ahead of schedule and this guy is a beast, he falls to the 2nd due to the injury, and we benefit

Another WR named Rogers and character issues, call me crazy, but I think he's learned his lesson and he would be an absolute beast on the opposite side of Calvin

Highly recruited but never quite lived up to the hype. Sounds familiar? His cousin ended up a bust, but heres to hoping that the Washburn/Cunningham system turns him into the prospect everyone thought he was.

We need some rotation relief and Dawkins could slide right in and give Suh and Fairley a breather. Although he might not last this long.

Hanson still has the leg to kick the field goals, but struggles to get the ball into the end zone on the kick offs. I love Hanson, you love Hanson, but his time is coming to an end.

I think Roger's will be a late 2nd round pick, but I like the selection if he's there. I find his sincerity in his remorse and later, his maturity handling his past character issues. I really believe that crap is behind him.

I've said it before that I really like Roh (UofM) as a character guy and an "under" DT like we seem to prefer.

IMO Gholston would be a good pickup. He's about as athletic as Young, he's much bigger, and he plays with a chip on his shoulder. I couldn't find any highlights were I thought Ronnell Lewis used his size and/or speed to "beat up on" or even to "beat" the DL. The same isn't true for Gholston. He suffered from not being in the pass rush as much as he could have/should have... IMO he has the size and speed to be a 4-3 DE, and I think he would be a good fit in the rotation.

I don't think we need a kicker after we signed our new punter... I think the new P is going to be handling kickoff duties.

March 17th, 2013, 1:54 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
TNLionsFanatic wrote:

#1 Best OT on the board

I think Roger's will be a late 2nd round pick, but I like the selection if he's there. I find his sincerity in his remorse and later, his maturity handling his past character issues. I really believe that crap is behind him.

I've said it before that I really like Roh (UofM) as a character guy and an "under" DT like we seem to prefer.

IMO Gholston would be a good pickup. He's about as athletic as Young, he's much bigger, and he plays with a chip on his shoulder. I couldn't find any highlights were I thought Ronnell Lewis used his size and/or speed to "beat up on" or even to "beat" the DL. The same isn't true for Gholston. He suffered from not being in the pass rush as much as he could have/should have... IMO he has the size and speed to be a 4-3 DE, and I think he would be a good fit in the rotation.

I don't think we need a kicker after we signed our new punter... I think the new P is going to be handling kickoff duties.

I think what's got me so sour on Ghoulston as a 4-3 DE is I've never seen him flash anything special. Now I'm adding a poor combine and pro day to that, so I have yet to see any of the athleticism that he has been credited to have.

Lewis seems to be a slow-twitch guy, but he is not lacking in the speed to be a good pass rusher. Lewis plays fast when he gets a clear look at the play and doesn't need to think too much. He may never be able to put it together, so I'm not thinking he'll be a starter. Lewis also matches up to Avril much better than Ghoulston does and Avril is the only pass rushing DE to be successful for Schwartz in DET so far.

Why look at a DE that is opposite of the coaching staffs only successful edge pass rusher?

March 17th, 2013, 5:27 pm
RIP Killer

To tell you the truth, I haven't been as heavily steeped in the draft juices this year as I have been in the past. I've paid some attention to the Senior Bowl stuff and the Combine and work outs, but haven't been doing as much research as years past. Just don't have the time this year.

Anyways, here's my effort, with the comp picks included:

Round 1. CB Dee Milliner
I think Fisher will be off the board, or he would be a good pick. The Lions may have taken three corners last season, but in my opinion none of them is starting material including Bentley. Milliner proved he has the quickness, change of direction skills and football IQ one needs to succeed in the NFL as a starting corner. I'd take his seasoned skills over Ziggy Ansah's potential every day of the week.

Round 2. DE Tank Carradine
I agree the injury is a concern, but he's got great skills and he's well worth the risk here. I'm sure that there have been a ton of medical tests done on him, and if nothing comes to light he'd be a great value here.

Round 3. OT Kyle Long
An instrumental part of the Oregon offense, Long is not an elite player but did a very good job against PAC 10 pass rushers. I think he's one of the better second tier tackles available.

Round 4. FS D.J. Swearinger
The Lions need to get a young player to develop at safety. Ricardo Silva is too inconsistent and we can't be sure Delmas will be healthy.

Round 5. OC T.J. Johnson
He's got good size and could compete for a guard position this year.

Round 6. WR Cory Fuller
Longshot to make the roster, but he has good size and could surprise.

Round 7. LB Keith Pough
Small school guy. I like taking small school prospects later in the draft.

Round 7. DT Anthony McCloud
Big space eating tackle that could replace SLH as a run stuffing specialist.

March 19th, 2013, 12:48 pm
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
TNLionsFanatic wrote:

#1 Best OT on the board

I think what's got me so sour on Ghoulston as a 4-3 DE is I've never seen him flash anything special. Now I'm adding a poor combine and pro day to that, so I have yet to see any of the athleticism that he has been credited to have.

Lewis seems to be a slow-twitch guy, but he is not lacking in the speed to be a good pass rusher. Lewis plays fast when he gets a clear look at the play and doesn't need to think too much. He may never be able to put it together, so I'm not thinking he'll be a starter. Lewis also matches up to Avril much better than Ghoulston does and Avril is the only pass rushing DE to be successful for Schwartz in DET so far.

Why look at a DE that is opposite of the coaching staffs only successful edge pass rusher?

He's whooped the hell out of Taylor Lewan on a number of occasions, and he's supposed to be a top 5 NFL OT.

March 19th, 2013, 12:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next