View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 5:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Brandon Lloyd as a #2 Lion Wr 
Walk On

Post Brandon Lloyd as a #2 Lion Wr
Anyone??

March 16th, 2013, 7:30 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Brandon Lloyd as a #2 Lion Wr
I wanted Greg Jennings even though I knew we couldn't afford him.

March 16th, 2013, 8:01 pm
Butkus Award Winner

BB's system has been said to be very, very hard to learn thoroughly and there was no Megatron to aid him there. He'd be a good #2 option. That said. he's had an extremely inconsistent career, so it better be at $2.5 mill a year at the very most.

March 16th, 2013, 8:22 pm
Div 1 - Starter

BillySims wrote:

Does anyone besides me think that the Vikings overpaid for Jennings? $9 million/year?

March 17th, 2013, 7:42 am
Hall of Fame Player

Growler wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Does anyone besides me think that the Vikings overpaid for Jennings? $9 million/year?

yep.

March 17th, 2013, 8:53 am
NFL Veteran

Does anyone think the Vikings didn't overpay?

IMO that's the better question to ask. I like Jennings, but a good portion of his production could be the system in GB and he's also 29 yrs old.

At least for the Vikings it takes pressure off them to find a WR in the draft. They should still draft one somewhere in the draft, but it doesn't need to be in the early rounds now.

March 17th, 2013, 10:09 am
rao wrote:

IMO that's the better question to ask. I like Jennings, but a good portion of his production could be the system in GB and he's also 29 yrs old.

At least for the Vikings it takes pressure off them to find a WR in the draft. They should still draft one somewhere in the draft, but it doesn't need to be in the early rounds now.

$3M less than what Harvin was making for a more traditional #1... We're paying CJ $18 million, how can you say they're paying Jennings too much at $9M? As long as he can stay healthy, it's a great signing for Minny.

I'd say he's a $11-15M Wr, with a discount for injury.

March 17th, 2013, 2:00 pm
Shotty wrote:
BB's system has been said to be very, very hard to learn thoroughly and there was no Megatron to aid him there. He'd be a good #2 option. That said. he's had an extremely inconsistent career, so it better be at $2.5 mill a year at the very most.

He'd be a better #2 than Nate... Why everyone was OK with paying Nate $6.5 for all of those years, while you only think Lloyd is only worth $2.5 is beyond me.

That said, Lloyd will make more than $2.5 in 2013.

March 17th, 2013, 2:02 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:

$3M less than what Harvin was making for a more traditional #1... We're paying CJ $18 million, how can you say they're paying Jennings too much at $9M? As long as he can stay healthy, it's a great signing for Minny.

Harvin can play a traditional WR1 role just as well as Jennings ever has, but he also has the ability to do things on short passes and WR screens that Jennings can't. Ponder doesn't have a great arm, so if I were the Vikes I would want more of a Andre Johnson/Anquan Boldin type as a WR1. Jennings has some more weight to him than Harvin, but he's not going to muscle anyone for jump balls.

After looking at the other salaries your right he's not getting overpaid considering his previous production. If you go by what his current value should be he should be in Stevie Johnson $7.5M territory then you add another $2M because of his past production. He is not $11M+ though, that's reserved for young dynamic WRs or guys like Fitz and CJ.

March 17th, 2013, 5:12 pm
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:

Harvin can play a traditional WR1 role just as well as Jennings ever has, but he also has the ability to do things on short passes and WR screens that Jennings can't. Ponder doesn't have a great arm, so if I were the Vikes I would want more of a Andre Johnson/Anquan Boldin type as a WR1. Jennings has some more weight to him than Harvin, but he's not going to muscle anyone for jump balls.

After looking at the other salaries your right he's not getting overpaid considering his previous production. If you go by what his current value should be he should be in Stevie Johnson $7.5M territory then you add another $2M because of his past production. He is not $11M+ though, that's reserved for young dynamic WRs or guys like Fitz and CJ.

Minny is rebuilding right, they're acquiring pieces, getting things for their old pieces, and compiling picks, while sitting on boatloads of cash.

Is getting the Qb first still the way of the NFL?

It wasn't for SF, Baltimore, Minny or Seattle as of late... Just food for thought...

March 18th, 2013, 3:20 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Minny is rebuilding right, they're acquiring pieces, getting things for their old pieces, and compiling picks, while sitting on boatloads of cash.

Is getting the Qb first still the way of the NFL?

It wasn't for SF, Baltimore, Minny or Seattle as of late... Just food for thought...

SF, Baltimore and Seattle had tremendous play from their QBs last season. Minny is the exception, but they didn't go any further than we did in 2011. If anything, I would say those teams are all better if you want to make the 'build the O-line' argument.

Now I wouldn't say losing your young stars is ever a good move. Minny couldn't hang on to Harvin. Sure, they would've had to pay him more, but not drastically more than they're going to pay an older Jennings.

March 18th, 2013, 3:56 pm
Div 1 - Starter

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:

This is why you're not an NFL Agent.

Jennings is overpaid. He's 6 years older than Harvin, not as fast, and injury-prone.

Jennings was able to play outside, in the slot, and do a lot of things for the Packers, but he has always had a top-notch QB to throw him the ball, and he has NEVER been the obvious #1 choice for receiver on the Packers. He always had a slew of good receivers on the field with him, from Donald Driver to Randall Cobb. So he's going from One Of Many to, The Man. Not every player adapts well to that, not to mention that in Minnesota he'll be the constant target of double teams and/or a shaded safety.

Jennings lucked into a fat deal after Mike Wallace signed with the Dolphins, as the Vikings needed a WR that actually had some experience in the NFL, and Jennings was the only one left with a pedigree that fans could agree was a true possibility as a #1 WR.

The fact that you compared CJ and Jennings in the same sentence should get you punted from the forum for a month, in my opinion.

March 18th, 2013, 4:33 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Mufasa wrote:
Anyone??

Nah, not really. Lloyd isn't really fast enough to take the top off a defense. He's Nate with less mileage.

March 18th, 2013, 4:35 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

JL wrote:
Mufasa wrote:
Anyone??

Nah, not really. Lloyd isn't really fast enough to take the top off a defense. He's Nate with less mileage.

not to mention I have watched the man DUCK a ball thrown at him!...around here he's known as "duckman!"

if I was tech savy I'd put up the link from youtube...it's a hoot!

Where ya at wags....cover my slack! lol

March 18th, 2013, 5:28 pm
JL wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:

This is why you're not an NFL Agent.

Jennings is overpaid. He's 6 years older than Harvin, not as fast, and injury-prone.

Jennings was able to play outside, in the slot, and do a lot of things for the Packers, but he has always had a top-notch QB to throw him the ball, and he has NEVER been the obvious #1 choice for receiver on the Packers. He always had a slew of good receivers on the field with him, from Donald Driver to Randall Cobb. So he's going from One Of Many to, The Man. Not every player adapts well to that, not to mention that in Minnesota he'll be the constant target of double teams and/or a shaded safety.

Jennings lucked into a fat deal after Mike Wallace signed with the Dolphins, as the Vikings needed a WR that actually had some experience in the NFL, and Jennings was the only one left with a pedigree that fans could agree was a true possibility as a #1 WR.

The fact that you compared CJ and Jennings in the same sentence should get you punted from the forum for a month, in my opinion.

Are you stupid, or did you have a laps of judgment?

I didn't "compare" CJ and Jennings, I pointed out that CJ makes DOUBLE what Jennings is getting paid.

CJ doesn't put out double the production of Jennings, period.

March 18th, 2013, 6:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next