View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2014, 9:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 44  Next
 Off-Season Moves 
Post Re: Off-Season Moves
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Yeah Saffold was looked at like a steal as the top pick in round two and from what I recall his rookie season was a big success, but since then he's struggled and played/started only 19 of 32 games. Maybe a change of scenery would do him good, but a) his deal expires next year and b) he'd cost probably at least a second round pick.

I'd rather take my chances on pick #5 being a LT.

I agree... And I'll add... The best thing for him to do would probably be to stay in St. Louis.

And, while the running game may have gotten a huge boost with him in there, the passing game sure didn't...

March 18th, 2013, 12:07 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

If Reiff is really as bad as you say he is, don't you think Saffold will be an improvement?

The question is, if both the top LTs are gone by the time we pick, would you trade the second round pick for Saffold? Or would you take a chance at a second round LT?

March 18th, 2013, 12:50 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Wasn't Saffold drafted as a RT and then moved over once it was clear Jason Smith was a bust? I'd rather give Reiff a shot than trade for somebody like that. After all, if he's so great, why bring in Long?

March 18th, 2013, 1:31 pm
DayDreamer wrote:
If Reiff is really as bad as you say he is, don't you think Saffold will be an improvement?

The question is, if both the top LTs are gone by the time we pick, would you trade the second round pick for Saffold? Or would you take a chance at a second round LT?

I think both players are C- players in pass protection, and B+ players in run blocking. We need someone better than that in pass-pro. We literally pass more than any other team in the NFL. Even if we scale back our passing by 10-20%, we'll still be in the top 5 for passing attempts.

March 18th, 2013, 2:31 pm
Varsity Captain

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/18/report-lions-dolphins-interested-in-osi-umenyiora/

Apparently Mayhew is interested in signing Osi. Being from NJ, all I heard about was Osi wanting more money, he's not happy, etc. I'm not sold on this, but if he got his head out his rear, he might do well on our line.

Quote:
Report: Lions, Dolphins interested in Osi Umenyiora

Posted by Josh Alper on March 18, 2013, 3:51 PM EDT

Getty Images
The market for free agent defensive ends has been weaker than anticipated, which isn’t great news for Osi Umenyiora.

Umenyiora huffed and puffed for years to get out of his contract with the Giants, finally succeeding when the team restructured his contract in 2012 to allow him to become a free agent this offseason. Umenyiora planned to cash in with a deal he felt was commensurate with his productivity. It’s a week into free agency and we’ve barely heard a whisper about Umenyiora, which suggests the market for his services is not as robust as he hoped.

According to Mike Garafolo of USA Today, it’s not because of a lack of interest. Garafolo reports that the Lions, Dolphins and others have expressed serious interest in Umenyiora but that the money isn’t there for defensive ends. With Lions General Manager Martin Mayhew saying Monday, via Tim Twentyman of the team’s website, that the team is probably done with big name signings, it doesn’t really look like the market’s going to get much stronger.

Umenyiora appears destined to settle for less money than he wanted to get as a free agent. If history is any guide, we should hear his dissatisfaction with that state of affairs shortly after he signs a contract for the 2013 season.

March 18th, 2013, 4:15 pm
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Wasn't Saffold drafted as a RT and then moved over once it was clear Jason Smith was a bust? I'd rather give Reiff a shot than trade for somebody like that. After all, if he's so great, why bring in Long?

Saffold was actually like Branden Albert. Both played guard in their final college seasons, but showed the quickness, strength and footwork to be considered capable of moving to LT in the pros. In both cases, their respective teams almost immediately moved them to left tackle.

If the Lions were to show interest in Saffold, it should be to move him back to guard, which he and his agent would likely turn down. Riley Reiff will be fine if the Lions put him at left tackle this season. I simply don't understand the feeling that he can't do that job. Is he the next Orlando Pace? No. But I think he is better than some folks are saying.

March 18th, 2013, 4:19 pm
League MVP

Falkes wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/18/report-lions-dolphins-interested-in-osi-umenyiora/

Apparently Mayhew is interested in signing Osi. Being from NJ, all I heard about was Osi wanting more money, he's not happy, etc. I'm not sold on this, but if he got his head out his rear, he might do well on our line.

Quote:
Report: Lions, Dolphins interested in Osi Umenyiora

Posted by Josh Alper on March 18, 2013, 3:51 PM EDT

Getty Images
The market for free agent defensive ends has been weaker than anticipated, which isn’t great news for Osi Umenyiora.

Umenyiora huffed and puffed for years to get out of his contract with the Giants, finally succeeding when the team restructured his contract in 2012 to allow him to become a free agent this offseason. Umenyiora planned to cash in with a deal he felt was commensurate with his productivity. It’s a week into free agency and we’ve barely heard a whisper about Umenyiora, which suggests the market for his services is not as robust as he hoped.

According to Mike Garafolo of USA Today, it’s not because of a lack of interest. Garafolo reports that the Lions, Dolphins and others have expressed serious interest in Umenyiora but that the money isn’t there for defensive ends. With Lions General Manager Martin Mayhew saying Monday, via Tim Twentyman of the team’s website, that the team is probably done with big name signings, it doesn’t really look like the market’s going to get much stronger.

Umenyiora appears destined to settle for less money than he wanted to get as a free agent. If history is any guide, we should hear his dissatisfaction with that state of affairs shortly after he signs a contract for the 2013 season.

oh man if we could get him for a year or two, then draft a guy in the 3/4th round to groom......

Yeah buddy!

March 18th, 2013, 4:24 pm
Team MVP

Id like Osi.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 18th, 2013, 4:37 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

If the Lions sign Osi I hope it's for one year, moderate amount of money, and no options.

Osi did nothing but run his mouth in NY for years, while being on a winning team. I can't see him being a good soldier on a team still building up for consistent playoff runs.

March 18th, 2013, 4:38 pm
League MVP

JL wrote:
If the Lions sign Osi I hope it's for one year, moderate amount of money, and no options.

Osi did nothing but run his mouth in NY for years, while being on a winning team. I can't see him being a good soldier on a team still building up for consistent playoff runs.

yeah I'd say a 2 year deal at most. if he wants big money I thnk thats all he sign for anyways since he looks like he's not gettin it now.

March 18th, 2013, 4:49 pm

It's official: comp picks in 4th (#132) and 7th for losing Wright and Stanton.

March 18th, 2013, 8:42 pm
RIP Killer

Personally I'd pass on Osi. He's more interested it talking about unfairly he's being treated than going out on the field and proving he still has gas in the tank. I think he's well beyond his prime, he knows it, and he tries to cover up his shortcomings by talking a good game rather than playing a good game. Draft a DE in round one or two, give Willie and Ronnell some additional playing time, and make an attempt to bring Lo Jack back into the fold.

March 18th, 2013, 8:46 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

^ agree. Being in the NY market I saw a lot of Osi and to me he's an older version of Cliff. Angles bad against the run and his talk definitely didn't translate to his play. Bring back Lojack and you still need another that we can get in the draft or cheap option in FA.

March 18th, 2013, 8:55 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

thelomasbrowns wrote:

Well, at least we have a 4th round pick now.

A seventh for Stanton? What was that, a mercy-rule gift?

March 18th, 2013, 10:38 pm

JL wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

Well, at least we have a 4th round pick now.

A seventh for Stanton? What was that, a mercy-rule gift?

Hey don't laugh--it looks like he may be the starter in Az this year!

March 19th, 2013, 12:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 44  Next