View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 1st, 2014, 12:03 pm



Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 CJ restructured also. 
Author Message
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2249
Post Re: CJ restructured also.
aManNamedSuh wrote:
Billy, I've heard you say a couple of times (I think) that after the TV Contract in 2015 the cap should go up. I found this article that this topic and the robbing Peter to pay Paul methodology. Looks like the new TV deal will not add to the cap at all http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/02/28/salary-cap-management-restructure-contracts/1954547/.

Just wanted to point that out. Teams have to restructure to get under the cap, not much else they can do. We'll end up paying for it in the end, but I'll gladly take it for a run in the playoffs.


Thanks for sharing the article. I think the jury is still out on whether the cap will 'spike' when the TV contracts kick in. That certainly seems to be the conventional wisdom these days, but as the article shows, there are differing opinions. I think the owners intended for a 'gradual' increase (Kraft said as much), but I think they will probably get a lot of prodding from their front offices to let the cap go up in a more generous way. Even with this year, the 123 million seemed like a bit of a concession on the owners' parts, as was the taking cap space from the Skins and Cowboys last year. Bottom line: a lot of politics is at play here, and we can't really say at this point how it's going to play out.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


March 19th, 2013, 9:33 am
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 11945
Post Re: CJ restructured also.
My question is why was this even necessary? Didn't CJ just sign a contract last year??? :confused:

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


March 19th, 2013, 9:34 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2297
Post Re: CJ restructured also.
Also if there is a monumental cap increase because of a new television deal odds are the FAs and agents are going to be looking to set all time record deals. The problem is the Lions have two "what the?" contracts at two positions that when a team has either of those positions with huge cap hit rarely win it all. As I have said before without looking it up who were the starting DTs for the last four teams that won the Super Bowl running the 4-3 as their base defense? Calvin is an exception at WR the Lions were never going to get fair compensation in a trade even with a Herschel or Ricky type of deal. But except for the Colts since the salary cap began nearly every team has had very good WRs two or three deep not an elite WR making elite money.

Pay the QB, LT, and DE if you are going to pay top 5 contracts. I'll take those three positions and DTs tha plug running lanes an two #2s at WR ad CB all day everyday. If they are and did pay Calvin they have to pay a LT instead of Suh for this team to have sustained success and with what Calvin is getting paid they are going to have to get creative at DE, CB, WR, and LB. The tough job for Mayhew or whomever is the GM when Calvin hits 31 or so is taken the flack and moving an older WR that the fans love and get a good return on investment for a player that will have peaked. I was in favor of trading one of the greatest players ever in Barry and said the Bills messed up for not trading Thomas when he had peaked. U also applauded the Chargers for moving the fan favorite LT. A GM and owner don't have the luxury or at least shouldn't have that luxury of looking at players as fans. Appreciate everything they have done for the team and the joy of watching them but just like stocks get need to know when to sell.


March 19th, 2013, 9:37 am
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1336
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: CJ restructured also.
TheRealWags wrote:
My question is why was this even necessary? Didn't CJ just sign a contract last year??? :confused:


It's more about Stafford counting for $20M and CJ just happens to have the second highest cap hit on the team now.


March 19th, 2013, 9:57 am
Profile
Post Re: CJ restructured also.
sweetd20 wrote:
Also if there is a monumental cap increase because of a new television deal odds are the FAs and agents are going to be looking to set all time record deals. The problem is the Lions have two "what the?" contracts at two positions that when a team has either of those positions with huge cap hit rarely win it all. As I have said before without looking it up who were the starting DTs for the last four teams that won the Super Bowl running the 4-3 as their base defense? Calvin is an exception at WR the Lions were never going to get fair compensation in a trade even with a Herschel or Ricky type of deal. But except for the Colts since the salary cap began nearly every team has had very good WRs two or three deep not an elite WR making elite money.

Pay the QB, LT, and DE if you are going to pay top 5 contracts. I'll take those three positions and DTs tha plug running lanes an two #2s at WR ad CB all day everyday. If they are and did pay Calvin they have to pay a LT instead of Suh for this team to have sustained success and with what Calvin is getting paid they are going to have to get creative at DE, CB, WR, and LB. The tough job for Mayhew or whomever is the GM when Calvin hits 31 or so is taken the flack and moving an older WR that the fans love and get a good return on investment for a player that will have peaked. I was in favor of trading one of the greatest players ever in Barry and said the Bills messed up for not trading Thomas when he had peaked. U also applauded the Chargers for moving the fan favorite LT. A GM and owner don't have the luxury or at least shouldn't have that luxury of looking at players as fans. Appreciate everything they have done for the team and the joy of watching them but just like stocks get need to know when to sell.


I agree completely Sweet, and I'll add... teams in better positions with long-term players already on their books (not teams with mortgaged futures, and already whacked out contracts that MAY get "right sized" with the new TV K) are in a much better position to take advantage of any new deal.


TheRealWags wrote:
My question is why was this even necessary? Didn't CJ just sign a contract last year??? :confused:


Exactly... We just "re-signed" and restructured his deal last year, and we're already kicking that can...

rao wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
My question is why was this even necessary? Didn't CJ just sign a contract last year??? :confused:


It's more about Stafford counting for $20M and CJ just happens to have the second highest cap hit on the team now.


So what? We "re-structure" multiple guys multiple times, it's ridiculous.

Here:

"Restructured contracts and player transactions have saved the Detroit Lions approximately $27 million toward the 2013 cap, allowing them to make token signings in free agency." - Mike Ohara

So, we've shoved $27 million down the road TWENTY SEVEN MILLION, just this year alone. That's TWO SUPERSTAR PLAYERS we've pushed down the road JUST THIS OFFSEASON, and we STILL have no less than 5 holes on this team. That's horrible... You guys should want to puke, yet you jump for joy for over-paid scraps like Reggie Bush... Typical Lions fans...

When are you guys going to wake up and see what's going on?


March 19th, 2013, 11:56 am
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post Re: CJ restructured also.
Sorry to be so blunt, but WHEN are you going to propose something that can REALLY be done about it.

Ditch Suh, Ditch Stafford, Ditch CJ, top 3 money makers, that doesn't make any sense. IF we were to do all three, that would set the team back further than we already are, and would continue to put us in a position of worst team ever in the NFL.

I don't understand, and why are you struggling so hard to change OUR minds when we there is nothing that we can do about it either. Unless of course you are suggesting, "Occupy Ford Field" with empty wallets, and brown bags on our heads to represent how tired we are of kicking the can down the road and so on.

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


March 19th, 2013, 1:40 pm
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1336
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: CJ restructured also.
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
My question is why was this even necessary? Didn't CJ just sign a contract last year??? :confused:


It's more about Stafford counting for $20M and CJ just happens to have the second highest cap hit on the team now.


So what? We "re-structure" multiple guys multiple times, it's ridiculous.

Here:

"Restructured contracts and player transactions have saved the Detroit Lions approximately $27 million toward the 2013 cap, allowing them to make token signings in free agency." - Mike Ohara

So, we've shoved $27 million down the road TWENTY SEVEN MILLION, just this year alone. That's TWO SUPERSTAR PLAYERS we've pushed down the road JUST THIS OFFSEASON, and we STILL have no less than 5 holes on this team. That's horrible... You guys should want to puke, yet you jump for joy for over-paid scraps like Reggie Bush... Typical Lions fans...

When are you guys going to wake up and see what's going on?


Don't "So what?" me. Seriously, where did I say it was a good thing? I was just putting out an answer to Wags post. I didn't say anything about it being the right or wrong thing to do.


March 19th, 2013, 2:08 pm
Profile
Post Re: CJ restructured also.
WarEr4Christ wrote:
Sorry to be so blunt, but WHEN are you going to propose something that can REALLY be done about it.

Ditch Suh, Ditch Stafford, Ditch CJ, top 3 money makers, that doesn't make any sense. IF we were to do all three, that would set the team back further than we already are, and would continue to put us in a position of worst team ever in the NFL.

I don't understand, and why are you struggling so hard to change OUR minds when we there is nothing that we can do about it either. Unless of course you are suggesting, "Occupy Ford Field" with empty wallets, and brown bags on our heads to represent how tired we are of kicking the can down the road and so on.


Where do you get this crap from?

Do you just make this crap up and put words in people's mouths so you can argue with yourself?

I've never said anything about getting rid of Stafford or CJ, ever. I've constantly brought up ways to "fix" the situation. We could have "digested" $13 M of Suh's contract last year, EASILY, but instead we choose to kick the can down the road. Now it's looking more and more like we need to get rid of Suh to be successful.

That's one player and one move, and it would make us a whole lot better off. We need a more balanced D without glaring holes.


March 19th, 2013, 2:08 pm
Post Re: CJ restructured also.
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
My question is why was this even necessary? Didn't CJ just sign a contract last year??? :confused:


It's more about Stafford counting for $20M and CJ just happens to have the second highest cap hit on the team now.


So what? We "re-structure" multiple guys multiple times, it's ridiculous.

Here:

"Restructured contracts and player transactions have saved the Detroit Lions approximately $27 million toward the 2013 cap, allowing them to make token signings in free agency." - Mike Ohara

So, we've shoved $27 million down the road TWENTY SEVEN MILLION, just this year alone. That's TWO SUPERSTAR PLAYERS we've pushed down the road JUST THIS OFFSEASON, and we STILL have no less than 5 holes on this team. That's horrible... You guys should want to puke, yet you jump for joy for over-paid scraps like Reggie Bush... Typical Lions fans...

When are you guys going to wake up and see what's going on?


Don't "So what?" me. Seriously, where did I say it was a good thing? I was just putting out an answer to Wags post. I didn't say anything about it being the right or wrong thing to do.


I just did "so what you!" What are you gonna do about it?


March 19th, 2013, 2:09 pm
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1336
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: CJ restructured also.
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
My question is why was this even necessary? Didn't CJ just sign a contract last year??? :confused:


It's more about Stafford counting for $20M and CJ just happens to have the second highest cap hit on the team now.


So what? We "re-structure" multiple guys multiple times, it's ridiculous.

Here:

"Restructured contracts and player transactions have saved the Detroit Lions approximately $27 million toward the 2013 cap, allowing them to make token signings in free agency." - Mike Ohara

So, we've shoved $27 million down the road TWENTY SEVEN MILLION, just this year alone. That's TWO SUPERSTAR PLAYERS we've pushed down the road JUST THIS OFFSEASON, and we STILL have no less than 5 holes on this team. That's horrible... You guys should want to puke, yet you jump for joy for over-paid scraps like Reggie Bush... Typical Lions fans...

When are you guys going to wake up and see what's going on?


Don't "So what?" me. Seriously, where did I say it was a good thing? I was just putting out an answer to Wags post. I didn't say anything about it being the right or wrong thing to do.


I just did "so what you!" What are you gonna do about it?


I just told you not to do it, what else am I supposed to do? I can't retroactively stop you from doing it the first time. :?


March 19th, 2013, 2:15 pm
Profile
Post Re: CJ restructured also.
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
My question is why was this even necessary? Didn't CJ just sign a contract last year??? :confused:


It's more about Stafford counting for $20M and CJ just happens to have the second highest cap hit on the team now.


So what? We "re-structure" multiple guys multiple times, it's ridiculous.

Here:

"Restructured contracts and player transactions have saved the Detroit Lions approximately $27 million toward the 2013 cap, allowing them to make token signings in free agency." - Mike Ohara

So, we've shoved $27 million down the road TWENTY SEVEN MILLION, just this year alone. That's TWO SUPERSTAR PLAYERS we've pushed down the road JUST THIS OFFSEASON, and we STILL have no less than 5 holes on this team. That's horrible... You guys should want to puke, yet you jump for joy for over-paid scraps like Reggie Bush... Typical Lions fans...

When are you guys going to wake up and see what's going on?


Don't "So what?" me. Seriously, where did I say it was a good thing? I was just putting out an answer to Wags post. I didn't say anything about it being the right or wrong thing to do.


I just did "so what you!" What are you gonna do about it?


I just told you not to do it, what else am I supposed to do? I can't retroactively stop you from doing it the first time. :?


I know you weren't endorsing the move, but to me it says something when we have to restructure guys that we just re-signed a year ago. These are supposed to be the "cheap" years of CJs deal, what the heck are they going to do when it gets worse (and we can't complain later, because it's Mayhews actions now that are making it worse...).


March 19th, 2013, 2:19 pm
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1336
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: CJ restructured also.
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I know you weren't endorsing the move, but to me it says something when we have to restructure guys that we just re-signed a year ago. These are supposed to be the "cheap" years of CJs deal, what the heck are they going to do when it gets worse (and we can't complain later, because it's Mayhews actions now that are making it worse...).


I think it's more about the bad management of the other 2 contracts than CJ's. CJ has an outlandish deal no doubt but his $12M this year wasn't the problem as much as it was a moronic quick fix. Mayhew basically started ruining an ok deal because Stafford's rookie deal is so damn bad from previous restructures. The most concerning part is if Mayhew is tweaking CJ's contract now, how incredibly bad will it look when he hits his big salary years.


March 19th, 2013, 2:41 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post Re: CJ restructured also.
Okay, first I didn't create this, I am going back to what you've consistently said.

1. 3 people making more than 10 mil per year: staff, suh, CJ
2. Cut Suh (trade him) same deal
3. Shoulda, woulda, coulda

You are arguing about what SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE LAST YEAR. Yeah and we shoulda voted in a better President too, but we're stuck with the horse we got. We've got to ride it out, because we're FANS and have NO SAY so about Lions issues, except a boycott, and good luck with that.

Staff and CJ have pushed their money around to help the team NOW, we want to win NOW, getting FA's in that can plug holes may help do that.

Again, you are barking at fellow fans who have little to nothing to do with DL Front office. Your recommendations mean as much to us as a cup of coffeee. Can you fix it? Can I? Can a hundred of us? NO, NO, and NO.

Your venting is going no where, so why do you consistently try to proove a point to us? It isn't doing you any good, it's bringing down the boards like a rain cloud over eyore (spelling) and it gets you where?

That's my point, stop complaining to us, and Bombard Allen Park with certified letters, they're the ones who can make the changes, in here it's just arguing.

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


March 19th, 2013, 3:03 pm
Profile
Post Re: CJ restructured also.
WarEr4Christ wrote:
Okay, first I didn't create this, I am going back to what you've consistently said.

1. 3 people making more than 10 mil per year: staff, suh, CJ
2. Cut Suh (trade him) same deal
3. Shoulda, woulda, coulda

You are arguing about what SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE LAST YEAR. Yeah and we shoulda voted in a better President too, but we're stuck with the horse we got. We've got to ride it out, because we're FANS and have NO SAY so about Lions issues, except a boycott, and good luck with that.

Staff and CJ have pushed their money around to help the team NOW, we want to win NOW, getting FA's in that can plug holes may help do that.

Again, you are barking at fellow fans who have little to nothing to do with DL Front office. Your recommendations mean as much to us as a cup of coffeee. Can you fix it? Can I? Can a hundred of us? NO, NO, and NO.

Your venting is going no where, so why do you consistently try to proove a point to us? It isn't doing you any good, it's bringing down the boards like a rain cloud over eyore (spelling) and it gets you where?

That's my point, stop complaining to us, and Bombard Allen Park with certified letters, they're the ones who can make the changes, in here it's just arguing.


My issue is with the people that jump for joy when we sign and over-pay Reggie Bush, and try to come up with "strategies" to make the playoffs in 2013. It's not going to happen. People getting on this "complacent" bandwagon perpetuates the teams bad decisions. As much as WCF says that fan grumblings don't effect his decisions, when the fans finally revolted against Millen and stopped selling out games every week, he got canned.

I don't think we should cut Suh until after June 1st, and it may not be a good idea at all at this point, now that Mayhew has kicked that can more down the road. $27 million just this offseason in future salary he's stolen from this team, and people act as if he's doing something right.

It's the support for Mayhew that gets me.


March 19th, 2013, 3:16 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 649
Post Re: CJ restructured also.
wjb21ndtown wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:
Okay, first I didn't create this, I am going back to what you've consistently said.

1. 3 people making more than 10 mil per year: staff, suh, CJ
2. Cut Suh (trade him) same deal
3. Shoulda, woulda, coulda

You are arguing about what SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE LAST YEAR. Yeah and we shoulda voted in a better President too, but we're stuck with the horse we got. We've got to ride it out, because we're FANS and have NO SAY so about Lions issues, except a boycott, and good luck with that.

Staff and CJ have pushed their money around to help the team NOW, we want to win NOW, getting FA's in that can plug holes may help do that.

Again, you are barking at fellow fans who have little to nothing to do with DL Front office. Your recommendations mean as much to us as a cup of coffeee. Can you fix it? Can I? Can a hundred of us? NO, NO, and NO.

Your venting is going no where, so why do you consistently try to proove a point to us? It isn't doing you any good, it's bringing down the boards like a rain cloud over eyore (spelling) and it gets you where?

That's my point, stop complaining to us, and Bombard Allen Park with certified letters, they're the ones who can make the changes, in here it's just arguing.


My issue is with the people that jump for joy when we sign and over-pay Reggie Bush, and try to come up with "strategies" to make the playoffs in 2013. It's not going to happen. People getting on this "complacent" bandwagon perpetuates the teams bad decisions. As much as WCF says that fan grumblings don't effect his decisions, when the fans finally revolted against Millen and stopped selling out games every week, he got canned.

I don't think we should cut Suh until after June 1st, and it may not be a good idea at all at this point, now that Mayhew has kicked that can more down the road. $27 million just this offseason in future salary he's stolen from this team, and people act as if he's doing something right.

It's the support for Mayhew that gets me.


That $27 million will be spread out completely, and a Stafford restructure and cap increase next offseason would make it less hurtful.

Also, you gotta be a little easier on the Lions FO. Are they going full-out Jaguars and drafting a damn punter in the 3rd round? Are they giving Albert Haynseworth an $100 million contract? Are they restructuring every player to the point where they'll be paying 20 players $106 million next season (Cowboys)? Yes, we're in cap hurt, and yes you can't reasonably compare our front office to those of the Giants, Steelers, 49ers, Ravens, Patriots, etc., but at least we're not doing anything absurdly bad. There are many fixes to the cap issues. If Staff is restructured, we can pay off lots of that restructure money in his first cheap years, and if Suh is traded, as many would love to happen, the sky is the limit for this team when we add $20 million worth free agents. That can be 2 All-Pro players. Just give it some time, and if WCF doesn't see improvement very soon, Mayhew and Schwartz will go.

_________________
Image


March 19th, 2013, 3:21 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DayDreamer, frok and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.