View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 6:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Lions re-sign Delmas 
NFL Veteran

Post Re: Lions re-sign Delmas
wjb21ndtown wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
Wow, this pretty much guarantees a 1 year deal, which means drafting a safety is a must do now. Either this year or next, they must draft a S.

We'll... We can all but guaranty that he'll miss at least one game. The Lions are notorious for not allowing their players to reach their incentives. IMO that's one of the problems with the organization. They think they're being "shrewd" but they're just screwing themselves, IMO. Jeff Backus had a contract clause that gave him a bonus for playing in 90% of the snaps. He played in something like 89.6% - 89.9% of the snaps. We do it all the time.

Good contract, but it's still going to pay him pretty good. I'd bet he still plays in 10 games this year, costing us around $3M for his first year. I really don't see us paying him the $6M next year, but we'll see.

Backus had to play in 90% of the snaps for both seasons. The Lions didn't prevent him from anything.

March 20th, 2013, 6:02 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
Wow, this pretty much guarantees a 1 year deal, which means drafting a safety is a must do now. Either this year or next, they must draft a S.

We'll... We can all but guaranty that he'll miss at least one game. The Lions are notorious for not allowing their players to reach their incentives. IMO that's one of the problems with the organization. They think they're being "shrewd" but they're just screwing themselves, IMO. Jeff Backus had a contract clause that gave him a bonus for playing in 90% of the snaps. He played in something like 89.6% - 89.9% of the snaps. We do it all the time.

Good contract, but it's still going to pay him pretty good. I'd bet he still plays in 10 games this year, costing us around $3M for his first year. I really don't see us paying him the $6M next year, but we'll see.

Backus had to play in 90% of the snaps for both seasons. The Lions didn't prevent him from anything.

Shhhhh he's got the beginnings of another great conspiracy theory here...

March 20th, 2013, 6:05 pm
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

I don't know that that's true. Do you have any evidence of that?

It was quoted by an M-live article, and they definitely insinuated that he would have been due a bigger pay day had he played in the .4-.1% snaps. This isn't their first rodeo with it either...

thelomasbrowns wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

Shhhhh he's got the beginnings of another great conspiracy theory here...

It's no conspiracy... We do it all the time. It's part of the culture of our organization. We did it under Millen, and we're still doing it now.

March 20th, 2013, 6:09 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

It was quoted by an M-live article, and they definitely insinuated that he would have been due a bigger pay day had he played in the .4-.1% snaps. This isn't their first rodeo with it either...

From what I found it wasn't a flat bonus. The bonus was paid out partially as he hit certain benchmarks. He was still paid out $1.5M of a possible $2.15M dollars last season and Backus retiring this year points toward him truly not being able to get back from the hamstring issue in 4 days. That injury came before a short week and he did not have a full amount of time to recover.

If you have some instances of this happening under Mayhew you may have a point, but otherwise you really are just making up a conspiracy. Mayhew is not Millen, so again unless you have something incriminating Mayhew it's a non issue.

March 20th, 2013, 6:34 pm
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

From what I found it wasn't a flat bonus. The bonus was paid out partially as he hit certain benchmarks. He was still paid out $1.5M of a possible $2.15M dollars last season and Backus retiring this year points toward him truly not being able to get back from the hamstring issue in 4 days. That injury came before a short week and he did not have a full amount of time to recover.

If you have some instances of this happening under Mayhew you may have a point, but otherwise you really are just making up a conspiracy. Mayhew is not Millen, so again unless you have something incriminating Mayhew it's a non issue.

It's happened several times in the last 3 years. It's discussed on 97.1 and whether it's "right or wrong" to hold your players back.

I don't know the details of Backus' contract, and M-live is honestly horrible at "reporting the truth." They never let the truth get in the way of a good story. They do it all the time with contract issues.

When we first hired Mayhew I was impressed and thought that he was completely different. Now that's had some time under his belt it seems to me that his former mentor had a bigger influence on him than I had anticipated.

Also, wasn't Backus due a roster bonus right around the timing of his retirement? No one will know for sure, but I'm guessing the team asked him to retire, and I wouldn't be shocked if they tried to bring him back on the cheap.

March 20th, 2013, 6:40 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

It's happened several times in the last 3 years. It's discussed on 97.1 and whether it's "right or wrong" to hold your players back.

I don't know the details of Backus' contract, and M-live is honestly horrible at "reporting the truth." They never let the truth get in the way of a good story. They do it all the time with contract issues.

When we first hired Mayhew I was impressed and thought that he was completely different. Now that's had some time under his belt it seems to me that his former mentor had a bigger influence on him than I had anticipated.

Also, wasn't Backus due a roster bonus right around the timing of his retirement? No one will know for sure, but I'm guessing the team asked him to retire, and I wouldn't be shocked if they tried to bring him back on the cheap.

I know it was said to have happened on other teams over the last few years, not that can remember one player it happened to. I can't say for a fact it's never happened in DET under Mayhew I just don't remember it ever happening and if it were Lions related it should have stuck out to me.

If he had a roster bonus doesn't matter any team in the Lions position would have asked him to make a decision before the roster bonus hit the cap. I doubt they asked him to retire, but it would surprise me if they hadn't tried to accelerate him making up his mind.

I don't see the Lions having done anything out of the ordinary or classless in the Backus situation. They played it responsibly and Backus handled it very professionally like his has always been. I never thought much of Backus as a player, but I feel like he probably would have retired before getting a roster bonus whether the Lions asked him or not. He was always a team first guy.

March 20th, 2013, 6:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4