View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 11:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
 Free Agency splash 
Post Re: Free Agency splash
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Quote:
Remember that Elvis Dumervil salary reduction news from earlier on Friday?

It might be time to forget all about that. Mike Klis of the Denver Post reports that the Broncos have released Dumervil after they did not get his paperwork regarding the reduction in salary from $12 million to $8 million until after the 2 p.m. MT deadline that made his original salary guaranteed.

According to Klis, the Broncos received the fax from Dumervil at 2:07 p.m. MT, seven minutes and one second after the Broncos had to pull the trigger to release Dumervil and avoid being on the hook for the full $12 million. The team could still re-sign Dumervil, but there would be different salary cap ramifications because Dumervil’s contract ran beyond the 2013 season.

So a settled situation that looked like another offseason win for the Broncos and John Elway has suddenly turned into a mess. They’ve got no Dumervil and will now have to scramble to find a way to bring him back or convince another free agent pass rusher to join their defense.

Never a dull moment in the NFL and, perhaps, a final sign that the fax machine is far from the most reliable way to be conducting business in 2013.

I can't believe that just happened. Way to wait til the last minute. Hey at least there's another DE out there in free agency.

I shoulda paid the $2k to register to be an NFL agent... I'm sure he's going to be looking for new representation after this one...

March 15th, 2013, 4:46 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Sebastian Vollmer, Jake Long, Andre Smith still sitting around. Either would start and make the O-line situation much brighter. Vollmer would probably come cheapest, around 7 million a year, and he's worth every penny.

March 15th, 2013, 7:48 pm
Varsity Captain

I think that Vollmer would be a solid signing. It's not a sure thing that we will be able to draft any of the 3 OTs. We can then go for OLB Victor Butler, let Lewis and Young fight it out for the open DE spot. Draft Izzy with the 5th pick. See what it would take to get Dumberville(sp?) and let Lewis move to OLB and put Levy on the bench.

We can look for a OG and a CB in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and get Nagy ready to start at C. Bring Kovacs from Mich. fot STs and backup safety, late round or UDFA. I think that Broyles will do just fine WR and we still have 5,6 and 7 to bring in depth or a possible gem. Just sayin'...

March 15th, 2013, 8:12 pm
Boz wrote:
I think that Vollmer would be a solid signing. It's not a sure thing that we will be able to draft any of the 3 OTs. We can then go for OLB Victor Butler, let Lewis and Young fight it out for the open DE spot. Draft Izzy with the 5th pick. See what it would take to get Dumberville(sp?) and let Lewis move to OLB and put Levy on the bench.

We can look for a OG and a CB in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and get Nagy ready to start at C. Bring Kovacs from Mich. fot STs and backup safety, late round or UDFA. I think that Broyles will do just fine WR and we still have 5,6 and 7 to bring in depth or a possible gem. Just sayin'...

I don't know where we're at salary cap wise, but I really don't think we can afford a $7 million dollar player. If we can't land someone for around $4M (at least for their first year cap hit) I think we're screwed, and we may be relegated to the draft at this point. Staff could re-structure, but again, how deep in that hole do we want to get? We're already delaying our progress for the next year at least, probably even the next two at this point. It's just a bad way to do business...

You guys used to scream and shout "what an idiot!" when Snyder from the Redskins did this crap, now Mayhew's taken it to a new level and you guys think it's smart... I don't get it...

March 15th, 2013, 8:16 pm
Varsity Captain

That's why I'm at home and not in some FO. I can dream up some great half-baked plans and they can't actually hurt the team....lol. Vollmer and Elvis could both cost over 7mil.

I'm not saying Mayhew is smart, but he's alot closer than the last knucklehead.

March 15th, 2013, 8:24 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Boz wrote:

I don't want Dumervil. He's Cliff Avril 2.0, and we don't need that unless we get good OLBs. He'll be overpaid, just like Avril. I just don't get why teams insist on over-paying DEs who are simply pass-rushers instead of focusing on the multi-dimensional DEs. Michael Bennett should've been the highest paid DE this year, and I honestly think he would've made our run defense top 10, no matter the OLB who'll fill the empty spot is. Someone brought up Victor Butler, and I think he'd be perfect on our defense.

March 15th, 2013, 8:43 pm
QB Coach

Here's a dream scenario, we extend Stafford and sign Jake Long to a 4 year $32M contract (some of the $$ tied to his health of course)

March 15th, 2013, 8:53 pm
Butkus Award Winner

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Here's a dream scenario, we extend Stafford and sign Jake Long to a 4 year $32M contract (some of the $$ tied to his health of course)

My friend who's a Dolphins fan told me that Long thinks he's worth around $11 million a year, and won't sign for much less. That may be a little off, but I think you need to at least raise the number to $36 million if it were to happen.

March 15th, 2013, 8:55 pm
QB Coach

Hence it being a "dream scenario" lol. He couldn't get a deal done in StL and I'm sure it's because he thinks he's worth more than they offered.

March 15th, 2013, 9:02 pm
Butkus Award Winner

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Hence it being a "dream scenario" lol. He couldn't get a deal done in StL and I'm sure it's because he thinks he's worth more than they offered.

That actually makes me happy because they're SOMEHOW more cap-strapped than us, as far as I know.

March 15th, 2013, 9:04 pm
RIP Killer

Jake long isn't even worth $7M a year after the crappy year he had last year. He really fell off the last couple years, and now the injuries are starting

March 15th, 2013, 9:07 pm
Shotty wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

That actually makes me happy because they're SOMEHOW more cap-strapped than us, as far as I know.

I don't think that's true, but they did trade Steven Jackson, so they may have had to eat some dead money there.

March 21st, 2013, 1:19 pm
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Shotty wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

I don't think that's true, but they did trade Steven Jackson, so they may have had to eat some dead money there.

They did not trade Steven Jackson. He opted out of the last year of his contract.

March 21st, 2013, 1:50 pm
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Shotty wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

They did not trade Steven Jackson. He opted out of the last year of his contract.

Did he have a voidable year that cost them dead money, similar to Suh?

If so, it doesn't matter... Same result.

March 21st, 2013, 3:17 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Shotty wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

Did he have a voidable year that cost them dead money, similar to Suh?

If so, it doesn't matter... Same result.

The Rams have little money because they have 4 players with $12M+ cap hits. They also have $10M in dead money from Quintin Mikell and Jason Smith. Stephen Jackson didn't leave any money on their books. They seem to be around $6M under.

March 21st, 2013, 3:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17