View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 16th, 2014, 7:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Ronnell Lewis 
NFL Veteran

Post Re: Ronnell Lewis
wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:
Avril was actually playing DE his last two years at Purdue if I'm not mistaken. As far as his time at LB in college I think that was as a SLB. As far as LewisnI think this is another case of people thinking that because some others don't think he really fits at a certain position they don't like player. I like Lewis I just don't see him as a starting DE in the NFL wide-9 or not. If he shows he can cover I'd take him as a SLB very day of the week. Maybe I'll be wrong and it would be great if I am but I just don't see him as a DE. Besides his size I think he had pretty short arms when people say it isn't good for a OT to have short arms it's even worse for a DE.

The problem with the LB stuff, IMO, is... what then do to with Travis Lewis/Tahir Whitehead/Ashlee Palmer?

We have guys on the roster that have been practicing at SLB for up to three years. I have to believe they would be a better fit than moving this guy that's never practice the position.

Further, don't get me wrong, I don't mind giving him a shot, but it should be done as a rotational guy, or a situational guy. We SHOULD NOT go into the season relying on him, Ashlee Palmer, and whomever we're going to be relying on at LT/RT/OG (I'm fine with relying on Reiff/Hilliard/Nagy for RT/OG, but we do not have our LT on our current roster, at least not a prudent LT).

I have never seen anything good written about Lewis' ability in coverage. He's a pure pass rush/run stuffer at LB from what I've ever seen of him and read about him. He seems slow to react on the line, but that can be fixed if the coaches do their job. I think the guy is just a rotational player at DE. He doesn't seem like he could ever become a starter, but I think he is far from a lost cause at DE in the wide-9. They may as well cut or trade him if they plan to switch him to a 4-3 LB, if he can't learn to rush in the wide-9 I would be concerned that he could learn any position. In the wide-9 you only need to be relentless or athletic to succeed, it's not a fancy scheme.

March 16th, 2013, 3:32 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Like I said originally they should look to move him to a team like the Steelers. He's that high motor terror go get the ball ROLB they love.

March 16th, 2013, 3:52 pm
Butkus Award Winner

He reminds me of Dion Jordan. What if we got him, bulked him up until he was around 6'6, 260-265lb and put him at DE/OLB? I think he's more suited for a 3-4 defense, but he could definitely be worked somewhere into a 4-3.

March 16th, 2013, 4:47 pm
Shotty wrote:
He reminds me of Dion Jordan. What if we got him, bulked him up until he was around 6'6, 260-265lb and put him at DE/OLB? I think he's more suited for a 3-4 defense, but he could definitely be worked somewhere into a 4-3.

I can't see taking Jordan with the #5 pick, not with our scheme.

March 21st, 2013, 1:19 pm
RIP Killer

I'm amazed that anyone can actually think that Lewis, whitehead, greenwood, fox, etc can be anything more than bench material at best. They have proven nothing and shown extremely little. Some of them can barely stay healthy from F'ing practices, just imagine if they had a starting role and were tackling the AP's and Forte's of the league, defending the Brandon Marshall's of the game, or blocking guys like Jared Allen or Julius Peppers. Seriously, this division has some amazing players that these guys, unproven mid to late round guys will be going against. This could be disastrous if these guys have any sort of prominent role on the team this next year. How do some people have so much faith in these guys?

March 21st, 2013, 1:25 pm
conversion02 wrote:
I'm amazed that anyone can actually think that Lewis, whitehead, greenwood, fox, etc can be anything more than bench material at best. They have proven nothing and shown extremely little. Some of them can barely stay healthy from F'ing practices, just imagine if they had a starting role and were tackling the AP's and Forte's of the league, defending the Brandon Marshall's of the game, or blocking guys like Jared Allen or Julius Peppers. Seriously, this division has some amazing players that these guys, unproven mid to late round guys will be going against. This could be disastrous if these guys have any sort of prominent role on the team this next year. How do some people have so much faith in these guys?

I agree with you completely. IMO the FO knows these guys suck, but is forced to rely on them because of our crappy cap situation.

I don't see us breaking 6-10 next year.

March 21st, 2013, 1:29 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

They dont have a choice. ALL Teams HAVE to rely on 3rd , 4th, 5th and even some 6th-7th-UDFA players to complete their rosters every year, and many of those lower rnd guys eventually become starters, some even stars.

Now ballyhoo the Lions inability to draft well in the later rounds for giving them players not of enough quality to start even after years of preperation, but they don't really have a choice but to start some of them each year, especially with Staff-CJ-Suh tying up so much of the cap.

At least for me, its not so much faith in these unproven players as crossing my fingers and praying because we dont really have a choice. Jonte Green anyone?

March 21st, 2013, 3:32 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Hall of Fame Player

conversion02 wrote:

Because other teams have these kind of guys step up and do the job. It is high time that we start seeing it on the Lions. It's not that we HAVE that faith. It's that we WANT TO HAVE that faith and see if it happens. They can't step up if they aren't given the chance to step up.

March 21st, 2013, 4:03 pm
Butkus Award Winner

BillySims wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

Because other teams have these kind of guys step up and do the job. It is high time that we start seeing it on the Lions. It's not that we HAVE that faith. It's that we WANT TO HAVE that faith and see if it happens. They can't step up if they aren't given the chance to step up.

Thanks for saying this. People are literally acting as if we drafted a bunch of 7th round worthy bums.. come on guys. Think about Casey Heyward. Why can't Dwight Bentley be the next Heyward or even better? He was playing with a messed up shoulder all of his rookie season. Who knows Greenwood isn't the next Patrick Peterson once he picks the game of football up and learns? Give the guys a chance...

March 21st, 2013, 4:08 pm
RIP Killer

Did any of these guys show anything in preseason? No. The only one who did was fox, and I'd be surprised if he doesn't get hurt in camp, for like the third time. Greenwood has never seen the nfl, you can't count on anything from a late round guy who has barely practiced with an NFL team. Late round draft picks, hell 3rd rounders on most teams, are given the chance to develop, play sparingly and improve themselves so they can prove themselves. You don't bench urlacher because you have nick roach.

What is so hard to understand about what I said? They can get the chance, but people are acting like Lewis and other guy should be counted on to damn near start this year. Why? Because they were barely adequate on STs last year and couldn't even play their way into a spot when people were hurt?

March 21st, 2013, 4:12 pm
Shotty wrote:
BillySims wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

Thanks for saying this. People are literally acting as if we drafted a bunch of 7th round worthy bums.. come on guys. Think about Casey Heyward. Why can't Dwight Bentley be the next Heyward or even better? He was playing with a messed up shoulder all of his rookie season. Who knows Greenwood isn't the next Patrick Peterson once he picks the game of football up and learns? Give the guys a chance...

I blame a lot of this on the position coaches, but more specifically, the coordinators. Gunther and Linehan don't seem to work much with the lower level guys. They're out there with the 2nd team, they don't get many first team reps, and they don't ever seem to "learn" the playbook or how to get on the field.

When our younger guys DO get the position to see the field (generally due to injury), they often look lost even after weeks of practice. That tells me that they've spent too much time doing nothing or only "pretending" to be the opposition (meaning help the offense practice), and not enough time actually learning what our strategy and game-plan is.

I don't know how other teams bring their younger talent along, but I can say even when our guys show flashes of talent early, we never seem to exploit it, develop it, or get anything out of it. We keep them in the closet like a pair of fake leather shoes that "go bad" and dry rot sitting in the box... Looked good at one time, never used 'em, and now they're shot...

March 21st, 2013, 4:19 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Shotty wrote:
BillySims wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

I blame a lot of this on the position coaches, but more specifically, the coordinators. Gunther and Linehan don't seem to work much with the lower level guys. They're out there with the 2nd team, they don't get many first team reps, and they don't ever seem to "learn" the playbook or how to get on the field.

When our younger guys DO get the position to see the field (generally due to injury), they often look lost even after weeks of practice. That tells me that they've spent too much time doing nothing or only "pretending" to be the opposition (meaning help the offense practice), and not enough time actually learning what our strategy and game-plan is.

I don't know how other teams bring their younger talent along, but I can say even when our guys show flashes of talent early, we never seem to exploit it, develop it, or get anything out of it. We keep them in the closet like a pair of fake leather shoes that "go bad" and dry rot sitting in the box... Looked good at one time, never used 'em, and now they're shot...

Absolutely agree, the coaching staff gives very little time to their young guys and there is no way to know what they have. If your not playing these guys even when you know you have a load of guys with expiring deals and the playoffs are out of reach then you are doing a disservice to the team.

March 21st, 2013, 4:35 pm
Varsity Captain

I think Ronnell should change his number to 52 and start preaching, practicing, working out and playing like Ray.
And win us a couple championships. At 6'2" and 244 lbs he's an inch taller and 4 lbs heavier than Ray.
The coaches, like usual, don't seam to be using Ronnell correctly (LE) ?? Putting his hand in the dirt allows him to be manhandled at the line of scrimmage and blown up like Avril was against big right tackles.
In my opinion the LE needs to be the bigger DE 6'4"-6'6" 270+
And send your speedsters to the blind side like the giants used Lawrence Taylor.
The other Lewis LB we got from Oklahoma is much lighter and probably covers better and may fill durant's spot.

March 23rd, 2013, 5:37 am
NFL Veteran

BestAtMadden wrote:
I think Ronnell should change his number to 52 and start preaching, practicing, working out and playing like Ray.
And win us a couple championships. At 6'2" and 244 lbs he's an inch taller and 4 lbs heavier than Ray.
The coaches, like usual, don't seam to be using Ronnell correctly (LE) ?? Putting his hand in the dirt allows him to be manhandled at the line of scrimmage and blown up like Avril was against big right tackles.
In my opinion the LE needs to be the bigger DE 6'4"-6'6" 270+
And send your speedsters to the blind side like the giants used Lawrence Taylor.
The other Lewis LB we got from Oklahoma is much lighter and probably covers better and may fill durant's spot.

Ronnell Lewis played DE in college and is 253lbs, 244lbs was his college weight. He's terrible in coverage and at best could maybe play as a rush LB on the strong side.

The Lions seem to prefer putting their most athletic pass rusher against the usually less athletic RT, but it's possible they just played Avril there because he has always been on that side. We won't know anything for sure until camps start and they start showing their depth chart for 2013.

March 23rd, 2013, 9:47 am
Varsity Captain

True. I saw him line up on the right side as well.
Obvious special teams hammer.
Is he in allen park working out? Are any of them trying to get faster, stronger or better??
I hope so.
Go lions

March 23rd, 2013, 2:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3