View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 7:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post your realistic perfect 2013 Lions draft scenario 
Team MVP

Post Re: Post your realistic perfect 2013 Lions draft scenario
liontrax wrote:
With the draft little more than a month away, just some thoughts on possible d-day options. If the top two Tackles are gone, as I think they will be at 5, what do we do? If we stay at 5, think we could go DE. Ansah, great potential, size-speed-strength, but he's a gamble. The same goes for my #2 DE, Mingo. What if Jarvis Jones wows at his pro day? Is he in the mix? He would have to play SSLB for us IMO. Or is Lane Johnson the Tackle from OK someone we should consider, because of the need a Tackle?
Trade options, what are the chances? IMO, Miami could be a possible trade partner, if they feel the need to address their deficiency at LT with Long leaving, and with Johnson there at 5. The Dolphins at 12 have an extra pick in the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th. For me this would be the ideal situation, the Lions get to move back, acquire more picks, and at 12 take a DE or G, still getting an impact player at a position of need, without reaching.
Any opinions?

I honestly think if both tackles are gone, there is no way they pass on Ansah. As far as Jones, apparently he put up less than impressive numbers at his Pro Day. He ran a 4.82 40 time.....that doesnt sound like someone who can cover TEs very well or fly to the QB. Good player, but we better not take him at 5.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 21st, 2013, 2:47 pm
Hall of Fame Player

kdsberman wrote:
I honestly think if both tackles are gone, there is no way they pass on Ansah.

I agree. I think they would fill the higher priority need at DE with a guy they have already coached and they know how he takes coaching. Besides, they can still get a good CB at the top of round 2. And that scenario would guarantee we go with Reiff at LT and Fox at RT. At least for this year. Unless, they trade the 2nd round pick to get back into 1st round somewhere near pick 16 or so to get Lane Johnson if he is still there at that point.

March 21st, 2013, 2:57 pm
RIP Killer

I know this much, in regards to Ansah. Aldon Smith was considered something of a reach at #7, and he turned out to be pretty darn good. He was considered raw. Same goes for Jason Pierre-Paul, and last year the same was said of Chandler Jones. All three of those guys were late risers into the first round. JPP and Jones were taken right about where they were projected just before the draft, but were still considered somewhat risky. Smith was taken well ahead of his projected draft position, and it was based on his raw athletic ability. I kind of see Ansah in the same light as those three. Top shelf athletic ability with limited game knowledge and still needs to develop physically. However, raw physical talent won't increase at this level. You pretty much got what you got. Their understanding of the game, and their strength can definitely improve, thereby improving their overall ability. It's all dependent on their personality and desire.

March 21st, 2013, 3:23 pm
Team MVP

I kinda wish they would draft Ansah (if they cant get Joeckel/Fisher) and then trade up and take Desmond Trufant or a Guard.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

March 21st, 2013, 4:47 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:
liontrax wrote:
With the draft little more than a month away, just some thoughts on possible d-day options. If the top two Tackles are gone, as I think they will be at 5, what do we do? If we stay at 5, think we could go DE. Ansah, great potential, size-speed-strength, but he's a gamble. The same goes for my #2 DE, Mingo. What if Jarvis Jones wows at his pro day? Is he in the mix? He would have to play SSLB for us IMO. Or is Lane Johnson the Tackle from OK someone we should consider, because of the need a Tackle?
Trade options, what are the chances? IMO, Miami could be a possible trade partner, if they feel the need to address their deficiency at LT with Long leaving, and with Johnson there at 5. The Dolphins at 12 have an extra pick in the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th. For me this would be the ideal situation, the Lions get to move back, acquire more picks, and at 12 take a DE or G, still getting an impact player at a position of need, without reaching.
Any opinions?

I screaming from the mountain tops that Lane Johnson will be known as the best LT from this years draft. He has the most GOD given natural ability of any LT this year. The only thing anyone has over him is time at LT. I would not pause even a nonosecond picking him at 5.

Oakland loves to draft on potential in the first round, how does that work out for them?

Again, caution to those quickly moving up the draft board after the combine...

I agree... Aaron Curry had the most "GOD given natural ability" of any LB in the last decade, but he sucks. Robert Gallary was the 2nd coming as well, look where that got them. Mandrich?

There are plenty of physically talented players that never make it.

Not sure who's being referred to here, but in the case of Johnson, believe he was mid 1st round talent based on his play and potential before the combine. In OK's bowl game against Texas A&M he shut down Damontre Moore, and played well at the Senior Bowl. As for Ansah, thought he looked awful during the week of practices leading up to the Senior Bowl, then shined in the game. Just saying.
If the Lions don't get a LT at 5, there will be other possibilities in the 2nd round. Maybe they'll look to add a RT or G in subsequent rounds. Either way it's an addition to the O-line badly in need of a talent infusion.

March 21st, 2013, 7:11 pm
liontrax wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:
liontrax wrote:
Any opinions?

I screaming from the mountain tops that Lane Johnson will be known as the best LT from this years draft. He has the most GOD given natural ability of any LT this year. The only thing anyone has over him is time at LT. I would not pause even a nonosecond picking him at 5.

Oakland loves to draft on potential in the first round, how does that work out for them?

I agree... Aaron Curry had the most "GOD given natural ability" of any LB in the last decade, but he sucks. Robert Gallary was the 2nd coming as well, look where that got them. Mandrich?

Not sure who's being referred to here, but in the case of Johnson, believe he was mid 1st round talent based on his play and potential before the combine. In OK's bowl game against Texas A&M he shut down Damontre Moore, and played well at the Senior Bowl. As for Ansah, thought he looked awful during the week of practices leading up to the Senior Bowl, then shined in the game. Just saying.
If the Lions don't get a LT at 5, there will be other possibilities in the 2nd round. Maybe they'll look to add a RT or G in subsequent rounds. Either way it's an addition to the O-line badly in need of a talent infusion.

There are plenty of OTs that do and don't make it in the NFL, but the fact of the matter is very few can start year one. A "mid first round" OT grade is still someone that's going to need to develop and make a ton of mistakes doing it. I expect Joeckle and and Fisher to struggle somewhat, I think Reiff and Johnson will struggle significantly more. Maybe Johnson is physical enough to better make the transition, but in the NFL fundamentally sound technique is key.

March 21st, 2013, 7:31 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

wjb21ndtown wrote:
liontrax wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:
liontrax wrote:
Any opinions?

There are plenty of OTs that do and don't make it in the NFL, but the fact of the matter is very few can start year one. A "mid first round" OT grade is still someone that's going to need to develop and make a ton of mistakes doing it. I expect Joeckle and and Fisher to struggle somewhat, I think Reiff and Johnson will struggle significantly more. Maybe Johnson is physical enough to better make the transition, but in the NFL fundamentally sound technique is key.

Absolutely agree, all rookies will have growing pains, and as you alluded to with Robert Gallery and Tony Mandarich, nobody is a can't miss player. The same holds true for this years top tackles, although I would be surprised if any of them failed. What I was saying about taking a tackle later was for development. Not to plug and play. That's what Fox was supposed to be. Guess it's now or never for him. I think the Lions might be perfectly content to go with Reiff or Fox at LT. Guess we won't know till after the draft. In absence of getting one of the top LT's at 5, drafting a LT to develop or a RT (Fluker?) or a top G in the second is still a step in the right direction.

March 21st, 2013, 8:34 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Hypothetical question. Jets offer us their #9 pick AND Darrelle Revis for our #5 (for Geno) and 2nd round pick. Do you think we should accept that?

March 22nd, 2013, 4:25 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Shotty wrote:
Hypothetical question. Jets offer us their #9 pick AND Darrelle Revis for our #5 (for Geno) and 2nd round pick. Do you think we should accept that?

cant afford Revis. Dont have the cap space.

March 22nd, 2013, 4:34 pm
Team MVP

regularjoe12 wrote:
Shotty wrote:

This. I say no. Revis would be too expensive, and coming off an ACL will he be the same player?

March 22nd, 2013, 5:01 pm
Butkus Award Winner

kdsberman wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Shotty wrote:

This. I say no. Revis would be too expensive, and coming off an ACL will he be the same player?

Gotta remember thinking the same thing about AP... Good point, though, he's seeking around $14 mill a year.

March 22nd, 2013, 5:03 pm
Shotty wrote:

Any trade for Revis would have to have us giving up some players (Mike Thomas and Willie Young may do it... I believe that's about $4.5M). Revis is scheduled to make around $6.5 next year, and we currently can't afford him.

March 22nd, 2013, 5:15 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Even if Revis is traded I don't think he steps foot on the field without a new deal in place. He is coming off that ACL injury and the thought of one wrong step or turn ending his career before that next pay day is definitely going through his mind.

March 22nd, 2013, 8:38 pm
sweetd20 wrote:
Even if Revis is traded I don't think he steps foot on the field without a new deal in place. He is coming off that ACL injury and the thought of one wrong step or turn ending his career before that next pay day is definitely going through his mind.

I'm sure that's what his position would likely be, but I don't think he has proper leverage here. Any team he plays for is going to want to at least see what sort of form he's in before giving him a huge payday, and he can't afford to sit out the year.

March 23rd, 2013, 11:14 am
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:

I'm sure that's what his position would likely be, but I don't think he has proper leverage here. Any team he plays for is going to want to at least see what sort of form he's in before giving him a huge payday, and he can't afford to sit out the year.

If someone were to trade for him, are they restricted from franchising him also? The Jets had put that clause in the contract that stopped them from being able to use the tag on him after 2013, but I don't know if the language only pertained to the Jets or if it includes any team he is under contract with.

If any team that takes him is restricted from tagging him then they will have to get a deal done before they take him or they risk getting only one year back for their picks. If the team isn't also restricted they could conceivably get to seasons out of him for good value, while working out something longterm.

March 23rd, 2013, 11:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next