View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 28th, 2014, 4:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Ed Reed signs with the Texans for 3yr/15 Million 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Ed Reed signs with the Texans for 3yr/15 Million
Works out to 5 Mill a year, isn't that what we signed Delmas for? Or Quinn for that matter.

Can you imagine what would have happened if we signed him instead of Delmas?

March 22nd, 2013, 6:03 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

Post Re: Ed Reed signs with the Texans for 3yr/15 Million
DayDreamer wrote:
Works out to 5 Mill a year, isn't that what we signed Delmas for? Or Quinn for that matter.

Can you imagine what would have happened if we signed him instead of Delmas?

I believe Delmas's is related to how much he is on the 46 man game roster.

frok

March 22nd, 2013, 7:41 am

Be that as it may, the cap has to accommodate his full pay (including bonuses), so I'm sure the same thing could have been done with Reed.

March 22nd, 2013, 9:32 am
NFL Veteran

DayDreamer wrote:
Be that as it may, the cap has to accommodate his full pay (including bonuses), so I'm sure the same thing could have been done with Reed.

Delmas only counts for $2M on the cap this year and from what is out there about the Reed deal, Reed will get $6M for his first year.

March 22nd, 2013, 9:57 am
Mr. Irrelevant

I understand the whole "Ed Reed is actually a playmaker" thing but he's just as fragile as Delmas and much older. This will be his 12th year in the league, let us not forget. Regardless of how healthy he stays, he won't be in the league all that long anyway and we are a team that'sn't real close to a super bowl just yet.

March 22nd, 2013, 10:58 am

It might not be for a Superbowl push, but adding a piece like Ed Reed not just addresses the concerns at secondary, but the whole defense. If you set aside the fact that he is still one of the biggest defensive playmakers in the league, a presence like his can work wonders for an admittedly undisciplined and leaderless defense. I'm happy that we got Glover Quinn, but if you don't count him, our defensive leaders are Tulloch, Houston and Delmas.

March 22nd, 2013, 12:26 pm
DayDreamer wrote:
It might not be for a Superbowl push, but adding a piece like Ed Reed not just addresses the concerns at secondary, but the whole defense. If you set aside the fact that he is still one of the biggest defensive playmakers in the league, a presence like his can work wonders for an admittedly undisciplined and leaderless defense. I'm happy that we got Glover Quinn, but if you don't count him, our defensive leaders are Tulloch, Houston and Delmas.

I agree completely...

Don't think we suffer from cap issues? Look at what teams not in cap hell can do... And the Texans were already in SB contention.

Nice responsible contract too. Pays a disproportionate amount of the salary the first year (+$1M on the contact yearly average), and scales down from there, as Reeds skills decline, and makes it easy to eat his dead money in either of the final two years should he be injured or decide to retire.

Good job Texans!

March 22nd, 2013, 12:28 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:

I agree completely...

Don't think we suffer from cap issues? Look at what teams not in cap hell can do... And the Texans were already in SB contention.

Nice responsible contract too. Pays a disproportionate amount of the salary the first year (+$1M on the contact yearly average), and scales down from there, as Reeds skills decline, and makes it easy to eat his dead money in either of the final two years should he be injured or decide to retire.

Good job Texans!

The Lions signed Delmas to an incredibly responsible deal for very little risk and got a young talent in Glover Quin for 300k less per year than Reeds deal. Also lets stop overlooking the fact Reed was never going to come to DET, he had visits with playoff teams and he's to old to be looking at questionable teams like the Lions. He is also a pure freelancer and would have been a terrible pairing with Quin since Reed plays the whole top of the field. Reed needs an in the box safety paired with him so the other guy doesn't get in his way.

March 22nd, 2013, 12:48 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

All very fair points. It would have been fun to see him in a Lions' uni.

March 22nd, 2013, 12:55 pm
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:

I agree completely...

Good job Texans!

The Lions signed Delmas to an incredibly responsible deal for very little risk and got a young talent in Glover Quin for 300k less per year than Reeds deal. Also lets stop overlooking the fact Reed was never going to come to DET, he had visits with playoff teams and he's to old to be looking at questionable teams like the Lions. He is also a pure freelancer and would have been a terrible pairing with Quin since Reed plays the whole top of the field. Reed needs an in the box safety paired with him so the other guy doesn't get in his way.

I don't know that Delmas' deal was "responsible" as much as it was reasonable. It still pays out a disproportionate amount at the end of his deal, and it's a deal that he will likely not see all the money of. I see Delmas' deal more as a one year $4M deal, than a two year $9M deal.

March 22nd, 2013, 1:09 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:

I agree completely...

Good job Texans!

I don't know that Delmas' deal was "responsible" as much as it was reasonable. It still pays out a disproportionate amount at the end of his deal, and it's a deal that he will likely not see all the money of. I see Delmas' deal more as a one year $4M deal, than a two year $9M deal.

It's a responsible deal in that they aren't on the hook for much money at all. The most likely situation is they cut him next year for 500k in dead money or restructure/extend him to something more team friendly if he actually makes it through the majority of the season. The most his deal can become in the first year is that $4M and we both know it would be a miracle for that to happen. It looks like the incentives are listed as NLTBE, Delmas only played in 8 games last year and he most likely played less than 42% of those snaps. If they are NLTBE then the Lions won't have those on the cap this year. The deal seems more than reasonable to me.

March 22nd, 2013, 2:00 pm
rao wrote:
It's a responsible deal in that they aren't on the hook for much money at all. The most likely situation is they cut him next year for 500k in dead money or restructure/extend him to something more team friendly if he actually makes it through the majority of the season. The most his deal can become in the first year is that $4M and we both know it would be a miracle for that to happen. It looks like the incentives are listed as NLTBE, Delmas only played in 8 games last year and he most likely played less than 42% of those snaps. If they are NLTBE then the Lions won't have those on the cap this year. The deal seems more than reasonable to me.

Did you read my post? I said the deal was reasonable, and you concluded with the "deal seems more than reasonable..." I can't tell if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me... Well played...

Basically if Delmas plays 8 weeks, the deal is worth $4M, if he plays less than 8 weeks, we have some insurance and its worth $2.5ish.

That said, I don't think the deal is "responsible" because we're going to be negotiating with him AGAIN next year, unless he stays healthy the whole season and plays well, and somehow Mayhew thinks he's worth $5.5, but I don't see that happening.

March 22nd, 2013, 2:04 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:

Did you read my post? I said the deal was reasonable, and you concluded with the "deal seems more than reasonable..." I can't tell if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me... Well played...

Basically if Delmas plays 8 weeks, the deal is worth $4M, if he plays less than 8 weeks, we have some insurance and its worth $2.5ish.

That said, I don't think the deal is "responsible" because we're going to be negotiating with him AGAIN next year, unless he stays healthy the whole season and plays well, and somehow Mayhew thinks he's worth $5.5, but I don't see that happening.

I think it's responsible because they control what happens with the deal. They have all the leverage in the deal, they can restructure/cut/trade him depending on his play this season. The deal plays out like the last year of a rookie deal and a franchise tag year(but cheaper) , he plays cheap this year and then they work out an extension or trade/cut him.

March 22nd, 2013, 4:23 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

There's also something to be said for rewarding your draft picks that have worked out. They took the necessary precautions with Delmas's contract, so I'm cool with them signing him over some veteran.

March 25th, 2013, 11:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]