View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 24th, 2014, 7:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
 Off-Season Moves 
Veteran General Manager

Post Re: Off-Season Moves
I heard, yesterday, that Tony Romo's new Contract is almost finished. This is good news for us. Stafford's contract will fall somewhere between Romo and Flacco.

March 23rd, 2013, 1:10 pm
Butkus Award Winner

BillySims wrote:
I heard, yesterday, that Tony Romo's new Contract is almost finished. This is good news for us. Stafford's contract will fall somewhere between Romo and Flacco.

I foresee something along the lines of 3-4 years, $10-11 million a year for Romo with 35-45% guaranteed. Staff will see around $12.5 million a year.

March 23rd, 2013, 1:18 pm
QB Coach

I guess at this point it doesn't really matter when we extend Stafford's contract, unless he has an unbelievable 2013 season. We could carry his cap hit this year and still be OK. We're not going to sign any more big name FAs, we have enough space to sign our rookies and fill out the remaining roster spots with some role players. If we sign him this year, we can free up some cap space and carry it over into next season, or if we sign him next year, we can reduce his 2014 cap hit by more (since it will be the first year of the new deal instead of the second).

March 23rd, 2013, 1:42 pm
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
I guess at this point it doesn't really matter when we extend Stafford's contract, unless he has an unbelievable 2013 season. We could carry his cap hit this year and still be OK. We're not going to sign any more big name FAs, we have enough space to sign our rookies and fill out the remaining roster spots with some role players. If we sign him this year, we can free up some cap space and carry it over into next season, or if we sign him next year, we can reduce his 2014 cap hit by more (since it will be the first year of the new deal instead of the second).

The bitch is... He's due some $41M over the next two seasons. That's ridiculous. Even if we sign him to a massive extension after 2013, we're still going to be paying him $12-15M per year, because we're going to have to roll in $20M to his next contract.

March 23rd, 2013, 1:48 pm
QB Coach

Very true. And again, so mad we didn't have the rookie wage scale in place. Did you see the article I posted about how to structure an extension? It makes sense, maybe not exactly how I'd want to do it, but has some good ideas.

I'll repost: http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... for_d.html

March 23rd, 2013, 1:54 pm
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Very true. And again, so mad we didn't have the rookie wage scale in place. Did you see the article I posted about how to structure an extension? It makes sense, maybe not exactly how I'd want to do it, but has some good ideas.

I'll repost: http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... for_d.html

I agree with a lot of your numbers. I think you could be a couple M high on his annual salary, as Stafford doesn't have the accolades as some of the top Qbs in the league, but I do think he's going to make $12ish per season, and we're going to have to add around $4M per season to his salary to cover his 2014 $20M due. I don't see a way to get him signed for under $16Mish per year, and it's going to kill this team.

Stafford's value, IMO is right around $9-12M per year. Paying him $16+ is ridiculous, and more of the same for this organization.

I have a huge problem with blaming this on the "pre-rookie wage scale." His original contract was 6 years $72 million dollars, which is right about what he's worth. The "problem" with his contact comes via Mayhew and all of the stupid, idiotic restructures that we've done. It's the prior mortgaging of our future that's killing us, not his original rookie deal.

March 23rd, 2013, 2:03 pm
QB Coach

I wish I had written that article. It has some good ideas in it about what to do.

As far as the wage scale not playing a part, compare Matt's contract to what Cam Newton got, 4 years $22 million. Stafford as an unproven rookie was not worth 6 years and 72 million. He is now worth something like that, but having to give out such a huge first contract, his extension will have to be worth double what it should be.

Yes the restructures pushed some money down the road, but he had huge contract numbers anyway.
The 2011 restructure spread about 8.475M over 4 season (2011-2014) from turning a 9M base salary into a 525,000 base for a hit of 2,118,750 per year. The 2012 restructure spread 10.885M over 4 seasons (2012-2015) resulting from turning an 11.5M base into a 615,00 base and a hit of 2,721,250 per year.

The overall result was 4,840,000 added to 2012-2014. His 2011 cap hit went down by almost 7 million and his 2012 cap hit went down by about 6M. He would have had an almost $16M cap hit this year and an almost $15M cap hit next year anyway, prior to the restructures.

March 23rd, 2013, 2:35 pm
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
I wish I had written that article. It has some good ideas in it about what to do.

As far as the wage scale not playing a part, compare Matt's contract to what Cam Newton got, 4 years $22 million. Stafford as an unproven rookie was not worth 6 years and 72 million. He is now worth something like that, but having to give out such a huge first contract, his extension will have to be worth double what it should be.

Yes the restructures pushed some money down the road, but he had huge contract numbers anyway.
The 2011 restructure spread about 8.475M over 4 season (2011-2014) from turning a 9M base salary into a 525,000 base for a hit of 2,118,750 per year. The 2012 restructure spread 10.885M over 4 seasons (2012-2015) resulting from turning an 11.5M base into a 615,00 base and a hit of 2,721,250 per year.

The overall result was 4,840,000 added to 2012-2014. His 2011 cap hit went down by almost 7 million and his 2012 cap hit went down by about 6M. He would have had an almost $16M cap hit this year and an almost $15M cap hit next year anyway, prior to the restructures.

I disagree... And I've said before... Sure, it would have been nice to get him cheap for a few years, but Stafford played better than expected out of the gate, working with the scraps he was given. He did have the one injured year, but other than that he had quality play. If he was cut his 3rd year, he would have signed for more than $9M per...

Cam Newton, right now, is worth $8-10M per... That's what good, young Qbs make. I wouldn't be surprised if you see Cam, RGII and Luck get new deals that are more appropriate prior to the end of their deals. I could see these guys holding out (and reasonably so) and getting HUGE paydays after their 3rd year, so really, it's not much different.

March 23rd, 2013, 3:31 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Apparently we're signing CJ Mosley, DT, previously with the Jaguars (and the guy who separated Staff's shoulder in the Browns game).

EDIT: Confirmed

Quote:
DT C.J. Mosley agrees to 2-year deal with Lions
By Dave Birkett Detroit Free Press Sports Writer Filed Under Sports Detroit Lions Matthew Stafford Ndamukong Suh Nick Fairley
Apr. 02
freep.com
Two days after he was released in a cap-savings move by the Jacksonville Jaguars, defensive tackle C.J. Mosley has found a new home with the Detroit Lions.

The Lions and Mosley have agreed to a two-year deal, which was first reported by TheSidelineView.com.

Mosley started 13 games and had 2 1/2 sacks for the Jaguars last year, after spending most of his first seven seasons as an NFL backup.

He’s most famous locally for the hit he put on Matthew Stafford as a member of the Cleveland Browns in 2009, when he separated Stafford’s left shoulder.

With the Lions, Mosley will play behind Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley in what’s shaping up to be a revamped defensive front.

The Lions released Kyle Vanden Bosch earlier this off-season, lost sack leader Cliff Avril and top backup Sammie Hill in free agency, and signed Jason Jones to start at left defensive end and play defensive tackle in nickel situations.

The Lions still need help at defensive end, with Ronnell Lewis and Willie Young the only other pass rushers on the roster. Lewis played one defensive snap as a rookie, and Young did not have a sack last year.

ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said in a teleconference today he expects the Lions to choose between BYU defensive end Ziggy Ansah and Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner with the No. 5 pick in this month’s draft.

Ansah didn't start playing football until 2010, but he's considered one of the top pass-rushing prospects in the draft. The Lions coached him in the Senior Bowl in January.

Contact Dave Birkett: 313-222-2037 or dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.
http://www.freep.com/article/20130403/S ... 9/sports01

April 3rd, 2013, 4:05 pm
Div 1 - Starter

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Apparently we're signing CJ Mosley, DT, previously with the Jaguars (and the guy who separated Staff's shoulder in the Browns game).

EDIT: Confirmed

Quote:
DT C.J. Mosley agrees to 2-year deal with Lions
By Dave Birkett Detroit Free Press Sports Writer Filed Under Sports Detroit Lions Matthew Stafford Ndamukong Suh Nick Fairley
Apr. 02
freep.com
Two days after he was released in a cap-savings move by the Jacksonville Jaguars, defensive tackle C.J. Mosley has found a new home with the Detroit Lions.

The Lions and Mosley have agreed to a two-year deal, which was first reported by TheSidelineView.com.

Mosley started 13 games and had 2 1/2 sacks for the Jaguars last year, after spending most of his first seven seasons as an NFL backup.

He’s most famous locally for the hit he put on Matthew Stafford as a member of the Cleveland Browns in 2009, when he separated Stafford’s left shoulder.

With the Lions, Mosley will play behind Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley in what’s shaping up to be a revamped defensive front.

The Lions released Kyle Vanden Bosch earlier this off-season, lost sack leader Cliff Avril and top backup Sammie Hill in free agency, and signed Jason Jones to start at left defensive end and play defensive tackle in nickel situations.

The Lions still need help at defensive end, with Ronnell Lewis and Willie Young the only other pass rushers on the roster. Lewis played one defensive snap as a rookie, and Young did not have a sack last year.

ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said in a teleconference today he expects the Lions to choose between BYU defensive end Ziggy Ansah and Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner with the No. 5 pick in this month’s draft.

Ansah didn't start playing football until 2010, but he's considered one of the top pass-rushing prospects in the draft. The Lions coached him in the Senior Bowl in January.

Contact Dave Birkett: 313-222-2037 or dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.
http://www.freep.com/article/20130403/S ... 9/sports01

This is a good depth move. Makes me wonder what's going to happen with LoJack. He hasn't signed with anyone else (yet), and could be expecting more interest after the draft. But that said, if LoJack was going to move to another team, seems like it would have happened by now.

April 3rd, 2013, 8:11 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Sorry if this was answered before, but how much would it cost to cut Burleson after this season?

April 4th, 2013, 12:34 pm
NFL Veteran

Shotty wrote:
Sorry if this was answered before, but how much would it cost to cut Burleson after this season?

It'll cost $2M, but it would drop $7.5M off the cap. In all they would save $5.5M in cap space for that season.

April 4th, 2013, 1:03 pm
rao wrote:
Shotty wrote:

It'll cost $2M, but it would drop $7.5M off the cap. In all they would save $5.5M in cap space for that season.

Those numbers aren't accurate:

Year........Salary............SB...................Misc. Bonus
2014.......$5,500,000.....$700,000.....$1,331,641

That's his current deal. We'll save his salary less his bonuses (both bonuses are guaranteed at this point.

So we'll save $5.5, minus his bonuses, which are $2M. We'll save $3.5, but it's going to cost us $2M in dead money next year. That's why I say we should have cut him last season. We more or less screwed ourselves into being forced to over-pay him for years by not cutting him. He's not worth his $4M cap hit this season, and he sure as hell isn't worth his $5.5M cap hit next year. Mayhew's handling of Nate was nothing short of moronic.

Cutting him prior to the 2012 restructure, we would have saved enough to sign Manningham, or Hayward-Bey this season. Keeping Nate for his cap # for the last two seasons is one of the dumbest things we have done in the last 5 years, keeping Dom under the same circumstances are close behind.

April 4th, 2013, 3:20 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
Shotty wrote:

That's his current deal. We'll save his salary less his bonuses (both bonuses are guaranteed at this point.

So we'll save $5.5, minus his bonuses, which are $2M. We'll save $3.5, but it's going to cost us $2M in dead money next year. That's why I say we should have cut him last season. We more or less screwed ourselves into being forced to over-pay him for years by not cutting him. He's not worth his $4M cap hit this season, and he sure as hell isn't worth his $5.5M cap hit next year. Mayhew's handling of Nate was nothing short of moronic.

Cutting him prior to the 2012 restructure, we would have saved enough to sign Manningham, or Hayward-Bey this season. Keeping Nate for his cap # for the last two seasons is one of the dumbest things we have done in the last 5 years, keeping Dom under the same circumstances are close behind.

His cap hit next year is $7.5M if they release him they get that back minus any guaranteed money owed or that has been paid. That leaves $5.5M.

April 4th, 2013, 3:37 pm
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
Shotty wrote:

His cap hit next year is $7.5M if they release him they get that back minus any guaranteed money owed or that has been paid. That leaves $5.5M.

IMO you're wrong. HIs cap hit is his salary plus his bonuses. You can't recover guaranteed bonuses. The only money you can recover is unpaid salary. The calculation, IMO, is what I posted in the prior message.

April 4th, 2013, 3:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next