View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 1:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Brandon Lloyd as a #2 Lion Wr 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Brandon Lloyd as a #2 Lion Wr
Jennings isn't on the same tier as Calvin but at the end of the day I'd take two of him and his contracts over Calvin. The contract he signed is very Vikings friendly with his biggest cap hit years being in the $11 million range. Also if he doesn't pan out after the first two seasons they can let him walk or trade him take $6 million cap hit and save $5 million in 2015.

When it comes to talent I'll take CJ all day everyday but if I'm up against a salary cap and trying to build the best roster from top to bottom I'd take Jennings and his deal over Calvin and his deal. The league favors the passing game and the WR in today's NFL, allowing teams that have at best a couple #2 WRs on their teams put up impressive numbers. The salary cap NFL isn't built for elite WRs making elite money. Now if you can get your team built up and draft a CJ or Fitzgerald and make the run before they sign their elite deal by all means go ahead but it's just too hard to win with a $15-20 million WR and build a team. If Mayhew can find a way I'll be amazed and definitely give him his props but in all honesty he has a four year window and at that time whether the fans like it or not the best thing for the team long team is to trade him when he's 31 years old.

March 19th, 2013, 9:49 pm
sweetd20 wrote:
Jennings isn't on the same tier as Calvin but at the end of the day I'd take two of him and his contracts over Calvin. The contract he signed is very Vikings friendly with his biggest cap hit years being in the $11 million range. Also if he doesn't pan out after the first two seasons they can let him walk or trade him take $6 million cap hit and save $5 million in 2015.

When it comes to talent I'll take CJ all day everyday but if I'm up against a salary cap and trying to build the best roster from top to bottom I'd take Jennings and his deal over Calvin and his deal. The league favors the passing game and the WR in today's NFL, allowing teams that have at best a couple #2 WRs on their teams put up impressive numbers. The salary cap NFL isn't built for elite WRs making elite money. Now if you can get your team built up and draft a CJ or Fitzgerald and make the run before they sign their elite deal by all means go ahead but it's just too hard to win with a $15-20 million WR and build a team. If Mayhew can find a way I'll be amazed and definitely give him his props but in all honesty he has a four year window and at that time whether the fans like it or not the best thing for the team long team is to trade him when he's 31 years old.

I agree completely. We had the best player in the game for something like 11 years in Barry Sanders, and it never got us anywhere. Now it's Barry Part II in CJ.

I'm not saying that we can't win a SB with CJ, but we definitely can't do it while over-paying all of these other morons. Last year we had $13 million on the books not counting Avril in over-paid talent that wasn't earning their paycheck, and that's not including unproven talent like Stafford that is probably over-paid at this point in his career. The salary cap and our inability to manage it is the biggest thing holding this team back.

March 21st, 2013, 1:17 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I agree with most of your post, but believe that it is equal parts Salary Cap , Strategy/Coaching & Poor Drafting in Later Rounds (which controbutes to Cap issues).

March 21st, 2013, 5:08 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
DJ-B wrote:
I agree with most of your post, but believe that it is equal parts Salary Cap , Strategy/Coaching & Poor Drafting in Later Rounds (which controbutes to Cap issues).

I agree with you... IMO our inability to "manage the cap," stems largely from failing to get cheap talent in the later rounds of the draft (hell, even rounds 2 &3!).

That said, we draft horribly, fail consistently to draft players that fit our "scheme" and our coaching staff is horribly stubborn to "their way" or "their system" and refuses to modify their plan, even in the face of it not working. It was blatantly obvious by week 3-4 last year that the Wide 9 was simply NOT getting it done, but we kept ramming our heads against that brick wall hoping for different results... ](*,)

March 21st, 2013, 7:42 pm
RIP Killer

or how about:

Quote:
Report: Darrius Heyward-Bey will visit Detroit Lions

The Darrius Heyward-Bey market is beginning to pick up.

After meeting with the Indianapolis Colts on Monday, the former Oakland Raiders wide receiver is set to visit the Lions on Wednesday, according to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press.

The Lions have been on a long hunt for a complementary weapon to place across from Calvin Johnson.

NFL free agency is under way. Follow all of the latest rumors and signings in our free-agent tracker. More...

Nate Burleson restructured his contract to stick around for another season, but he turns 32 in August and arguably wouldn't be on the roster if the cupboard wasn't so bare. Ryan Broyles has been injury-prone and the Titus Young experiment ended in disaster, leaving the team short at wideout.

The Reggie Bush acquisition gives the Lions a viable target out of the backfield, but another field-stretching pass-catcher would do wonders for the Lions.

Heyward-Bey, of course, is no sure thing.

His four-year stint with the Raiders was uneven at best after the Raiders stunned their fans by taking him with the seventh overall pick in 2009. Heyward-Bey showed growth during a productive 64-catch campaign in 2011, but he tailed off last season before being released earlier this month.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... roit-lions

March 26th, 2013, 9:25 am
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner

I came here just to post that, you beat me to it Pablo.

Great move, if he can be signed to a reasonable contract.

March 26th, 2013, 9:43 am
Hall of Fame Player

DayDreamer wrote:

If signing a decoy were a great move. He can't catch a cold.

March 26th, 2013, 10:55 am
Heisman Winner

A decoy is good enough to draw coverage away from Calvin and Reggie and Broyles and Burleson and Pettigrew and..... you get the idea.

March 26th, 2013, 11:27 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

BillySims wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:

If signing a decoy were a great move. He can't catch a cold.

I think he can be awesome he didn't have trash recepticles throwing him the ball his whole career

March 29th, 2013, 1:28 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

We offered DHB a contract. He hasn't accepted it yet...

March 29th, 2013, 8:29 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

regularjoe12 wrote:

Reports say he didn't click with Indy, and is happy about the idea of facing #2 corners, with Calvin getting all the attention, and a safety in the box here and there. I mean, who stops Calvin, DHB, Broyles/NB, Pettigrew, and BUSH all at the same time?

March 29th, 2013, 11:02 am
RIP Killer

Shotty wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Reports say he didn't click with Indy, and is happy about the idea of facing #2 corners, with Calvin getting all the attention, and a safety in the box here and there. I mean, who stops Calvin, DHB, Broyles/NB, Pettigrew, and BUSH all at the same time?

Scott Linehan? 8)

March 29th, 2013, 11:12 am
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Pablo wrote:
Shotty wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Scott Linehan? 8)

Im actually liking the idea of DHB...so long as we draft one of the 3 Tackles and get a Guard somewhere.

Our D will still be weak, but our O should start looking like New Orleans.

March 29th, 2013, 11:18 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Pablo wrote:
Shotty wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Scott Linehan? 8)

No one was complaining when Best was in and the offense was moving like butter. Factor in a younger, brighter offensive line and (hopefully) the fastest starting-caliber WR in the league, I think he'd work wonders with the offense.

March 29th, 2013, 11:34 am
Modmin Dude

Pablo wrote:
Shotty wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Scott Linehan? 8)

More like Schwartz.... :shock: :wink:

March 29th, 2013, 11:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next