View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 27th, 2014, 12:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Drafting Eric Fisher 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Drafting Eric Fisher
With the retirement of Jeff Backus and the lack of stud defensive players at the top of the draft a lot of people hope the LIons can draft CMU's Eric Fisher.

Assuming Luke Joeckel goes #1 to the Chiefs what the chance another team drafts Fisher before the Lions can?

#2 Jacksonville Jaguars - They can use a QB as well a pass rush - what they don't seem to need is left tackle where Eugene Monroe seems to have locked down the position.

Quote:
Eugene Monroe isn’t just the best player they have on their offensive line, he’s their best player on offense. A top-quality franchise left tackle who gets push in the run game, he’d get more press if he played for a more successful team.

#3 Oakland Raiders - The Raiders could use just about everything again I can't see them going left tackle.

Quote:
There is but one stud on this line, and his name is Jared Veldheer (+22.2). Emerging as one of the better left tackles in the league, he’s not quite lockdown yet, but he’s pretty close.

That leaves just one team that might be in the market for left tackle before Detroit picks and that's the Eagles. A lot of experts have Fisher going to the Eagles since their line was decimated with injuries but honestly when healthy Jason Peters is healthy he isone of the best left tackles in the NFL and 2 years left on his contract. Again I can't see the Eagles going LT with their needs on defense switching to a 3-4 scheme.

What do you think? Are LIons even in the market for LT?

March 29th, 2013, 8:37 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Drafting Eric Fisher
Theyd better be in the Market for an OT, as we are 1 (or even 2) Starter Quality OTs short.

Fisher would be the most likely good solution, and if not id love to see a trade down and pick of Lane Johnson, but would expect them to go Ansah or Milliner if Fisher and Joeckel are gone.

March 29th, 2013, 8:44 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Team MVP

On my mock, I have it going Joeckel, Geno Smith, Shariff Floyd, then the Eagles going with Dion Jordan, leaving us with Fisher, who im sure Mayhew will pass on cuz hes an idiot.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 29th, 2013, 9:03 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

As BillySims has preached, Lane Johnson is the next best STRICT left tackle. Fisher's footwork is questionable while LJ has shown good footwork with less experience and is more of an ATHLETE, which is a big part of being a successful LT. If we get Fisher, I really think the line will be:

LT: Reiff
LG: Sims
C: Raiola
RG: Nagy
RT: Fisher

Either way, it'd mean we have a good line, definitely better than Backus, Peterman, Sims, Raiola, and Cherilus...

March 30th, 2013, 1:51 am
Team MVP

Shotty wrote:
As BillySims has preached, Lane Johnson is the next best STRICT left tackle. Fisher's footwork is questionable while LJ has shown good footwork with less experience and is more of an ATHLETE, which is a big part of being a successful LT. If we get Fisher, I really think the line will be:

LT: Reiff
LG: Sims
C: Raiola
RG: Nagy
RT: Fisher

Either way, it'd mean we have a good line, definitely better than Backus, Peterman, Sims, Raiola, and Cherilus...

You think Reiff would start at LT over Fisher? C'mon, man!

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

March 30th, 2013, 5:00 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

If you going to use a top 5 pick on Fisher - you are going to play him at left tackle - you don't spend a top 15 pick on a right tackle let alone a top 5 pick.

My guess if the LIons pass on a OT and go with Reiff at left tackle he'll be about as good as Backus - in other words middle of the pack at his best. Fisher on the other hand has a chance to be in the Joe Thomas realm of tackles which would make him a potential pro-bowl each year.

I would love for the Lions to take a defensive player but their really isn't a great one at the top of the draft board the most highly productive college players seem to lack the athletic ability to be elite Jarvis Jones, Bjoern Werner, Manti Te'o, Demontre Moore. While the highly talented players are still too raw Barkevious Mingo, Ezekiel Ansah, Dion Jordan.

So at the top of the draft board I see the 2 left tackles Joeckl and Fisher and the 2 d-tackles Lotulelei and Floyd and the CB Milliner.

the LIons don't need the DT and I see Mayhew passing on Milliner. So if Fisher is gone or not the guy I see the LIons reaching for a DE most likely Ansah.

March 30th, 2013, 9:45 am
QB Coach

I've come around to the idea of drafting a LT but even if Fisher is there, I still think we can trade down. The only other team in the top 10 I can see taking a tackle is the Cards. Sure someone like San Diego could leap frog us and take a LT but I think they're enamored with Lane Johnson. So my ideal scenario is we trade down to 8 with Buffalo (something I've been touting for awhile) we get at least a 3rd and 4th this year. They take Geno Smith, Cleveland takes whoever, Arizona takes whoever and we get Fisher at 8. Even if Arizona takes him at 7, we still get Lane at 8 and a few extra picks.

I know Buffalo just signed Kolb, but come on. He and Tavaris Jackson don't exactly inspire confidence.

March 31st, 2013, 9:10 am
Team MVP

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
I've come around to the idea of drafting a LT but even if Fisher is there, I still think we can trade down. The only other team in the top 10 I can see taking a tackle is the Cards. Sure someone like San Diego could leap frog us and take a LT but I think they're enamored with Lane Johnson. So my ideal scenario is we trade down to 8 with Buffalo (something I've been touting for awhile) we get at least a 3rd and 4th this year. They take Geno Smith, Cleveland takes whoever, Arizona takes whoever and we get Fisher at 8. Even if Arizona takes him at 7, we still get Lane at 8 and a few extra picks.

I know Buffalo just signed Kolb, but come on. He and Tavaris Jackson don't exactly inspire confidence.

I don't see geno smith getting past Jacksonville.

March 31st, 2013, 10:30 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

kdsberman wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

I don't see geno smith getting past Jacksonville.

I'd normally agree with you, But KC is posturing big time on Geno, I expect them to use that leverage to try and trade back out of the #1 spot.

April 1st, 2013, 10:11 am
QB Coach

I don't think anyone is going to buy KC taking Geno Smith. They gave up a good amount for Alex Smith and they need help elsewhere.

April 1st, 2013, 12:40 pm
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
I don't think anyone is going to buy KC taking Geno Smith. They gave up a good amount for Alex Smith and they need help elsewhere.

I agree... It's D or LT for KC, and everyone knows it. If they wanted to "bluff" a trade down, they should have agreed in principle and held off pulling the trigger with SF until the trade down was complete... But even at that, I don't think anyone would have bought Geno Smith #1 overall...

April 1st, 2013, 12:47 pm

inheritedlionsfan wrote:

And paid their backup $3.3 million a year. No way they take GS at #1.

April 1st, 2013, 3:44 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Shotty wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

$3-5 Million a year is about the going rate for a good backup QB. Without looking it up or knowing in advance, I bet Shaun Hill is costing us around $5 Million/year.

April 2nd, 2013, 11:29 am
BillySims wrote:
Shotty wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

$3-5 Million a year is about the going rate for a good backup QB. Without looking it up or knowing in advance, I bet Shaun Hill is costing us around $5 Million/year.

Hill is costing us $3.2 million, and we should trade him. I'd take a 5th or better for him in a heartbeat, and IMO he's worth it.

April 2nd, 2013, 11:45 am

BillySims wrote:
Shotty wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

It'd just be odd for them to pay AS $8-9 million a year, a backup $3-4 million a year, and Geno $3-4 million a year. I think they're only trying to get a team like Jacksonville or Oakland, who's sold on Geno, to trade up for him.

April 2nd, 2013, 11:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next