View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2014, 3:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Tony Romo robs a senile old man 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Tony Romo robs a senile old man
Seriously, Jerry Jones must have gone completely senile. Look at the numbers on Romo's new contract, 108 Million over 6 years with 55 mill guaranteed!! This will complicate negotiations for every team and their QB, including ours.

March 29th, 2013, 4:57 pm
Post Re: Tony Romo robs a senile old man
DayDreamer wrote:
Seriously, Jerry Jones must have gone completely senile. Look at the numbers on Romo's new contract, 108 Million over 6 years with 55 mill guaranteed!! This will complicate negotiations for every team and their QB, including ours.

Not complicate... We're going to have to pay more for Stafford than that. We knew that prior to this contract. The bottom line is mediocre Qbs are making $12+M per year, which is why I believe teams like Seattle, San Fran, and Minny have done their rebuilding the right way. That's the path I wanted to see us take.

IMO it's easy for a Qb to succeed on a team that is great before he got there.

March 29th, 2013, 5:03 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Both Seahawks and the 49ers will have to pay their QBs sooner than later. Escaping big contract QBs isn't possible in the NFL, I just wish teams like the Cowboys aren't so inept, by overpaying worthless players and setting some horrible precedents for the rest of the league.

March 29th, 2013, 5:24 pm
DayDreamer wrote:
Both Seahawks and the 49ers will have to pay their QBs sooner than later. Escaping big contract QBs isn't possible in the NFL, I just wish teams like the Cowboys aren't so inept, by overpaying worthless players and setting some horrible precedents for the rest of the league.

Sure... Sooner or later, but they can install a mediocre Qb if need be and still be successful, that's been proven in the case of Minny and SF, and I doubt that Wilson is the "star" that he looks to be on that team.

March 29th, 2013, 5:29 pm
League MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:

Sure... Sooner or later, but they can install a mediocre Qb if need be and still be successful, that's been proven in the case of Minny and SF, and I doubt that Wilson is the "star" that he looks to be on that team.

I'd argue all day long on Wilson. He has done nothing but impress me every time I watch him. Barring injury my money is on him being a all pro callibur player within the next 2-3 years.

March 29th, 2013, 5:48 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:

I'd argue all day long on Wilson. He has done nothing but impress me every time I watch him. Barring injury my money is on him being a all pro callibur player within the next 2-3 years.

But why has he impressed RJ? That's my point...

Is it because Lynch is a BEAST and he doesn't have to work very hard, and his offensive system puts him in a great position to succeed, or is it because he's the 2nd coming of Joe Montana, Drew Brees, etc.? If you put Wilson on the Lions, would we be playoff bound? What about Arizona? The Chiefs?

What non-playoff team can Wilson single-handedly turn into a playoff team (don't say no Qb can do that, Manning did, and yes, I think any of those teams, even the lowly Lions, would be a playoff team with Manning on their roster)?

March 29th, 2013, 6:03 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I agree with part of your point on Wilson, dont think he is the next coming, but think he deserves more credit than you are giving him.

That said If your Manning reference is in regards to denver it has no weight. They went to the playoffs the year before with Tim Tebow at QB so they obv had a solid roster that manning joined. He took them further (then ultimately made his yearly poor decision in a playoff game to send them home) and elevated them, but he didnt take a lowly team to the promiused land the next year, they were already pretty damn good.

March 29th, 2013, 6:36 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
DJ-B wrote:
I agree with part of your point on Wilson, dont think he is the next coming, but think he deserves more credit than you are giving him.

That said If your Manning reference is in regards to denver it has no weight. They went to the playoffs the year before with Tim Tebow at QB so they obv had a solid roster that manning joined. He took them further (then ultimately made his yearly poor decision in a playoff game to send them home) and elevated them, but he didnt take a lowly team to the promiused land the next year, they were already pretty damn good.

That Denver team that went to the playoffs with Tebow did so with a losing record. I don't think that Tebow "playoff team" was an "elite team," with Manning they are, period. Denver with Manning can play against any team in the league and hold their own. That wasn't true when Tebow was their Qb. Not enough for you?

Ok... Look at the Colts... The Colts with him were a playoff team and SB contender, after he got hurt? Eh... Not so much. And, like I said, IMO the Detroit Lions, Az Cardinals, and KC Chiefs would all be playoff teams with him at the helm. He IS that special of a player.

Russel Wilson wouldn't make any team in the NFL "better" that already has a mediocre/soild Qb, because that's what he is.

March 29th, 2013, 6:48 pm
Team MVP

Seems like guys like Stafford, who we think are "team first" guys, would say they wouldnt need all that money, but rather whatever makes it best for the team. I dont know.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 29th, 2013, 7:59 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

kdsberman wrote:
Seems like guys like Stafford, who we think are "team first" guys, would say they wouldnt need all that money, but rather whatever makes it best for the team. I dont know.

That's why players have agents. There's no doubt Stafford wants to play in Detroit, Romo wants to play in Dallas, and Flacco wants to play in Baltimore but as fans what we have to remember is that its still a business. Its a business to all players but if they were in charge of there own contracts they would let their heart get involved and give a "Home Town Discount" or be a "Team First" guy. The agents don't give a damn about the Lions or the Cowboys or any other team they only care about getting the very most money they can for their employers........the players. We can criticize all day long but it is a business and as long as us fans keep buying the Sunday ticket, going to games, buying jerseys, etc., etc., they will keep pumping out bigger and bigger contracts especially to the the stars.

March 30th, 2013, 1:39 am
Veteran General Manager

Oh man, we are going to have to pay Stafford, Flacco money, at least. There is not much wiggle room to squeeze Stafford between Romo and Flacco. And I think Stafford should be paid more than Romo.

Is it time for the NFL to start exempting a portion of QB salaries? Say anything above $15Million is exempt from the cap.

March 30th, 2013, 1:59 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Wow... 1 playoff win and he gets $55 million guaranteed? Lol, what in the world...

March 30th, 2013, 3:19 pm
RIP Killer

Stafford got $42M guaranteed having never thrown an NFL pass.

That's seriously WTF.

The league should give teams who are still getting wrecked by the pre-rookie salary cap some relief. Like 25% of those cap hits for all players drafted (who are still on their rookie deals) in the 3 years prior to the rookie cap

March 30th, 2013, 7:44 pm
conversion02 wrote:
Stafford got $42M guaranteed having never thrown an NFL pass.

That's seriously WTF.

The league should give teams who are still getting wrecked by the pre-rookie salary cap some relief. Like 25% of those cap hits for all players drafted (who are still on their rookie deals) in the 3 years prior to the rookie cap

If the league does grant such relief, we shouldn't get any... We haven't picked in the top 10 either of the last two seasons, and Fairley and Reiff's salaries are very reasonable. Had they not been restructured all to hell, Suh, Johnson, and Staff would be making about what they would make on the open market, probably less in CJ and Stafford's case.

March 30th, 2013, 7:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]