View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 27th, 2014, 6:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 David Akers? 
Veteran General Manager

Post David Akers?
I hope this doesn't happen. I want Hanson back for another year. But, if he retires, I would prefer to draft a young guy like:

Quote:
Caleb Sturgis, K, Florida
Height: 5-11. Weight: 184.
Projected Round (2013): 4-6.
3/9/13: Sturgis made 24-of-28 field goals in 2012. He had clutch kicks in the season opener against Texas A&M to help the Gators win on the road 20-17. Sturgis was 3-for-3 against Tennessee.

A few of Sturgis' misses came at inconsequential times against Bowling Green, Jacksonville State and Kentucky. He had three field goals against Vanderbilt that were valuable in a 31-17 win. Sturgis was clutch in the regular-season finale, going three-for-three on field goals against Florida State in an 11-point road victory for the Gators.

Sturgis was tremendous at the East-West Shrine. He was nailing kicks in the mid-50s with ease - straight down the middle. Sturgis had plenty of leg while showing a consistent motion to maintain accuracy. He had an impressive collegiate career and looks worthy of a draft pick on the third day of the 2013 NFL Draft.

9/3/12: Sturgis kicked well in 2011, making 22-of-26 field goals and 31-of-31 extra points. He was a Second-Team AP All-American selection. Sturgis was injured for the majority of 2010, and he missed Florida's game last year against Georgia with another injury.

If Sturgis can stay healthy in 2012, he could be the best kicker in the nation. Sturgis was 22-of-30 on field goal attempts and 44-of-47 on extra points in 2009.

Quote:
Uncertain on Jason Hanson, Lions will host David Akers on visit
National Football PostBy Brad Biggs | National Football Post – Sat, Mar 30, 2013 9:32 AM EDT

The Detroit Lions have offered a minimum salary to veteran kicker Jason Hanson and he doesn’t know if he wants to work for that wage this season.

So, the club will take a look at another kicker that’s been around for a long time. Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports that with Hanson mulling what to do, the Lions will bring in David Akers for a visit next week.

Akers was cut loose by the San Francisco 49ers after a difficult season but he is just a year removed from an excellent Pro Bowl year. Hanson, 42, has said he would like to play for a 22nd season for the Lions but there is no guarantee at this point that will happen. He was strong this past season, hitting 32 of 36 field goals. Hanson has said he is not going to go elsewhere and play.

Akers, who battled a groin injury last season, has a strong leg for kickoffs. But he is going to have to convince a team he can be accurate again after making only 29 of 42 field goals for the 49ers, who nearly replaced him on their postseason roster.

March 31st, 2013, 9:43 am
Post Re: David Akers?
I think it's ridiculous that we've created a cap situation that has resulted in us not being able to afford the leading scorer in Lions history, and fan favorite, Jason Hanson.

March 31st, 2013, 10:36 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I think it's ridiculous that we've created a cap situation that has resulted in us not being able to afford the leading scorer in Lions history, and fan favorite, Jason Hanson.

For a guy who is opposed to overpaying players, i am surprised to see you say this. I love Hanson, and will always want to give due credit to him, but he simply doesn't have enough left in the tank to be paid top kicker money. He doesn't have the leg for kickoffs anymore.

March 31st, 2013, 1:24 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

For a guy who is opposed to overpaying players, i am surprised to see you say this. I love Hanson, and will always want to give due credit to him, but he simply doesn't have enough left in the tank to be paid top kicker money. He doesn't have the leg for kickoffs anymore.

Who said he's asking for "top kicker money"? The top kickers make $3.5-4M per year, we offered Hanson around $1M per year (vet min for tenured vet of 10+ seasons).

He made $3M last year, I think he's still "worth" $2-2.5.

March 31st, 2013, 2:11 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

i appreciate the love for hanson but i honestly dont trust him beyond 40 yrds anymore and his kickoffs are just a little better than that girl at that regional combine. i dont like akers either. i agree we should look for young good kickers

April 1st, 2013, 1:10 pm
Killwill25 wrote:
i appreciate the love for hanson but i honestly dont trust him beyond 40 yrds anymore and his kickoffs are just a little better than that girl at that regional combine. i dont like akers either. i agree we should look for young good kickers

Hanson was perfect inside of 40 yards last year, he was 16-19 over 40 yards, and he was 2-3 at 50+ yards (and I think the one he missed was a 54-56 yard monster that Schwartz had him try at the end of a 1/2).

You think anyone else will be better for that price?

April 1st, 2013, 1:36 pm

Yeah , even last year he was getting Kudos for his ridic accurance at Over 50yds for the past few seasons. I wouldnt mind replacing him with a Young stud, but would rather pay him 2 than anyone else available at 1 and then worry about replacing him next offseason.

April 1st, 2013, 1:49 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

Time to draft a new guy.

April 1st, 2013, 2:27 pm

Hansons FG accuracy is amazing. I will not knock him for it ever...it's his leg power thats dwindeling. His kickoffs are short to be frank and even though he hit both realistic 50+ FG last season only 3 attempts last year is a VERY small amount of attempts and tells me the staff see his distance as an issue now as well.

Last edited by regularjoe12 on April 1st, 2013, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 1st, 2013, 2:59 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
Hansons FG accuracy is amazing. I will not knock him for it ever...it's his leg power thats dwindeling. His kickoffs are short to be frank and even though he hit both realistic 50+ FG last season only 3 attempts last year is a VERY small amount of attempts and tell me th staff see his distance as an issue now as well.

Sure, but guys that can drill 50+ yarders on the regular are at a minimum anyhow, and those guys make $3+ million per year. We have a guy that is a great kicker that is still super reliable and accurate that shouldn't NEED to kick 50+ yarders with our "great" offense, and we can have him for $2M per. It's stupid to turn that down.

You think Hanson is losing his leg... Look at Akers... The guy we're considering replacing him with...

I wish we would have kept Matt Prater and traded Hanson to New England years ago when Viniateri got hurt.

Lastly, we shouldn't have to have Hanson kicking off. We just signed a new punter that can allegedly handle those duties.

April 1st, 2013, 3:04 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Hansons FG accuracy is amazing. I will not knock him for it ever...it's his leg power thats dwindeling. His kickoffs are short to be frank and even though he hit both realistic 50+ FG last season only 3 attempts last year is a VERY small amount of attempts and tell me th staff see his distance as an issue now as well.

Sure, but guys that can drill 50+ yarders on the regular are at a minimum anyhow, and those guys make $3+ million per year. We have a guy that is a great kicker that is still super reliable and accurate that shouldn't NEED to kick 50+ yarders with our "great" offense, and we can have him for $2M per. It's stupid to turn that down.

You think Hanson is losing his leg... Look at Akers... The guy we're considering replacing him with...

I wish we would have kept Matt Prater and traded Hanson to New England years ago when Viniateri got hurt.

Lastly, we shouldn't have to have Hanson kicking off. We just signed a new punter that can allegedly handle those duties.

Once again Im really suprised that this is your stance...hitting 2 50 YD Fg's is NOT hitting em regular. his leg WONT be as strong as it was last year. 2 mil is a HIGH dollar amount for a kicker no matter which way you look at it, and lastly he cant even do the WHOLE job we'd be paying him for.

Look I LOVE Hanson...but it's time to put him out to pasture and draft a new guy. I do not have faith in Akers. personally I see them bringing him in as an attention getter to get Hanson to start thinking more realistically about his salary if he wants to come back this year.

(caps used to stress words, not yell ;) )

April 1st, 2013, 3:11 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Once again Im really suprised that this is your stance...hitting 2 50 YD Fg's is NOT hitting em regular. his leg WONT be as strong as it was last year. 2 mil is a HIGH dollar amount for a kicker no matter which way you look at it, and lastly he cant even do the WHOLE job we'd be paying him for.

Look I LOVE Hanson...but it's time to put him out to pasture and draft a new guy. I do not have faith in Akers. personally I see them bringing him in as an attention getter to get Hanson to start thinking more realistically about his salary if he wants to come back this year.

(caps used to stress words, not yell ;) )

His "whole" job is to kick the ball through the uprights. The guy with the strongest leg kicks off, and that's not something his salary should be discounted for.

You say this now, but when we have some baffoon blow a kick you'll be crying.

The fact is, according to his stats, according to his PRODUCTION he should be making around $2M per year.

April 1st, 2013, 3:13 pm

why does it have to be a buffoon? why cant we draft someone capapable of picking up the mantle and carrying on?

Jason's NFL time is comming to a close, and it doesnt matter how much we like it. Hanson would not get 2mil from any other team in the NFL this year based off his aging leg. It's sad....and i dont like it....but that doesnt make it any less true.

April 1st, 2013, 3:18 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
why does it have to be a buffoon? why cant we draft someone capapable of picking up the mantle and carrying on?

Jason's NFL time is comming to a close, and it doesnt matter how much we like it. Hanson would not get 2mil from any other team in the NFL this year based off his aging leg. It's sad....and i dont like it....but that doesnt make it any less true.

There aren't many teams looking for a new kicker, but I'd be willing to bet that if a contender's kicker got hurt, Hanson would get his pro-rated share of $2M to finish the season with that team.

I wouldn't mind drafting someone, but it comes with the growing pains of having a rookie kicker, and he's likely going to struggle a bit.

And I can say for certain, Akers IS a buffoon, and will be a huge mistake if he's signed.

Why does it have to be a buffoon? Because a buffoon is making the hire...

April 1st, 2013, 3:21 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

There aren't many teams looking for a new kicker, but I'd be willing to bet that if a contender's kicker got hurt, Hanson would get his pro-rated share of $2M to finish the season with that team.

I wouldn't mind drafting someone, but it comes with the growing pains of having a rookie kicker, and he's likely going to struggle a bit.
And I can say for certain, Akers IS a buffoon, and will be a huge mistake if he's signed.

Why does it have to be a buffoon? Because a buffoon is making the hire...

You'r most likley right, but that's going to happen reguardless. Why wait untill we have a year with Hanson struggling to have that happen. I personally beieve Hanson has another year left in him so I dont think it would be this year, but sadly we should replace him, and soon.

and I agree about Akers. I'm hoping he was a smoke screen.

April 1st, 2013, 4:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next