View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 23rd, 2014, 2:31 pm



Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 David Akers? 
Author Message
Post Re: David Akers?
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
why does it have to be a buffoon? why cant we draft someone capapable of picking up the mantle and carrying on?

Jason's NFL time is comming to a close, and it doesnt matter how much we like it. Hanson would not get 2mil from any other team in the NFL this year based off his aging leg. It's sad....and i dont like it....but that doesnt make it any less true.



There aren't many teams looking for a new kicker, but I'd be willing to bet that if a contender's kicker got hurt, Hanson would get his pro-rated share of $2M to finish the season with that team.

I wouldn't mind drafting someone, but it comes with the growing pains of having a rookie kicker, and he's likely going to struggle a bit.
And I can say for certain, Akers IS a buffoon, and will be a huge mistake if he's signed.

Why does it have to be a buffoon? Because a buffoon is making the hire...



You'r most likley right, but that's going to happen reguardless. Why wait untill we have a year with Hanson struggling to have that happen. I personally beieve Hanson has another year left in him so I dont think it would be this year, but sadly we should replace him, and soon.

and I agree about Akers. I'm hoping he was a smoke screen.


I wish we would look at the draft(s) in the upcoming years and find "our guy" (a guy that we're willing to spend a 3rd - 5th round pick on), and going and getting our next "kicker for the next decade" in that draft. I don't think that salary cap is forcing the issue, especially with such a high character guy that still deserves his salary.


April 1st, 2013, 4:14 pm
Online
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2209
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: David Akers?
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
i appreciate the love for hanson but i honestly dont trust him beyond 40 yrds anymore and his kickoffs are just a little better than that girl at that regional combine. i dont like akers either. i agree we should look for young good kickers


Hanson was perfect inside of 40 yards last year, he was 16-19 over 40 yards, and he was 2-3 at 50+ yards (and I think the one he missed was a 54-56 yard monster that Schwartz had him try at the end of a 1/2).

You think anyone else will be better for that price?

not in FA. we need to find a new franchise K.

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


April 1st, 2013, 5:42 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9453
Location: Dallas
Post Re: David Akers?
Don't mean to rain on all the Hanson love, but honestly I've never thought Jason was a clutch kicker. I think he is really solid on the non-pressure kicks (obviously the vast majority of his kicks in Detroit), however with the pressure on he hasn't always produced.

Also, perhaps since we have basically have had two kickers during my fandom I discount the position a bit - but we are talking kicker here!!!

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


April 1st, 2013, 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
All State
User avatar

Joined: December 12th, 2008, 1:42 am
Posts: 352
Location: Michiana
Post Re: David Akers?
We're gonna REALLY miss Hanson if they are dumb enough to sign Akers. I would much rather see them spend a draft pick on a rookie this year then trust Akers to do anything. The one thing that the Lions have always had the great fortune of relying upon for the past 22 years was a reliable, accurate kicker. Hell, Hanson's been the Lion's kicker as long as I have been seriously following football!

It's a shame that it's coming down to this though. I'll be the first to agree that he isn't what he used to be and he isn't exactly booming them into the net on kickoffs, but I'm afraid of what we'll end up with instead. He's been a class act and a fan favorite his whole career. I hope Mayhew and Lewand aren't dumb enough to FK this up for him but I'm afraid that they will be. He deserves better. And like someone else already said, he'll be the first guy to come off the couch mid season if some other team has an injury to their kicker. Wasn't NO using a 43 or 44 year old for awhile when Hartley got injured? That will be Hanson at some point this season.

_________________
Same Old Lions, just a different year....


April 2nd, 2013, 12:56 am
Profile
Post Re: David Akers?
DisgruntledFan wrote:
We're gonna REALLY miss Hanson if they are dumb enough to sign Akers. I would much rather see them spend a draft pick on a rookie this year then trust Akers to do anything. The one thing that the Lions have always had the great fortune of relying upon for the past 22 years was a reliable, accurate kicker. Hell, Hanson's been the Lion's kicker as long as I have been seriously following football!

It's a shame that it's coming down to this though. I'll be the first to agree that he isn't what he used to be and he isn't exactly booming them into the net on kickoffs, but I'm afraid of what we'll end up with instead. He's been a class act and a fan favorite his whole career. I hope Mayhew and Lewand aren't dumb enough to FK this up for him but I'm afraid that they will be. He deserves better. And like someone else already said, he'll be the first guy to come off the couch mid season if some other team has an injury to their kicker. Wasn't NO using a 43 or 44 year old for awhile when Hartley got injured? That will be Hanson at some point this season.


I agree completely.


April 2nd, 2013, 9:34 am
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7377
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: David Akers?
Killwill25 wrote:
i appreciate the love for hanson but i honestly dont trust him beyond 40 yrds anymore and his kickoffs are just a little better than that girl at that regional combine. i dont like akers either. i agree we should look for young good kickers


Hanson has earned the right to be a Lion until he decides to hang up his cleats. He is still golden inside of 50 yards. And his kick offs are still good enough. Those 2 return TD's were the fault of a coverage issue, not Hanson's kick. I would lay you odds that the Lions were actually in the top 5 at stopping Kick returners between the goal line and short of the 20 yard line.


April 2nd, 2013, 11:45 am
Profile
Div 1 - Starter

Joined: December 13th, 2005, 2:09 pm
Posts: 529
Post Re: David Akers?
Full Disclosure: Jason Hanson has always been a steady, excellent kicker (unless he was injured) for the Lions. Hanson was a threat - even in 2012 - from 55 yards in, and a dead certainty from 40 yards and in. He was a kicker you did not want to see coming in if a field goal would tie or win the game for the Lions. Hanson has also stated that he will only play one more year, *AND* he's stated he will ONLY play for the Lions. So it's not like he'll be lining up for another team if there's no contract forthcoming. So from a fan standpoint, I really love the guy as the Lions kicker.

One. More. Year. That's important, because it means that the Lions will be looking for a full-time kicker again at this time next year. I would hate to see Hanson go out because he got low-balled by the Lions, but the cold facts are that the NFL is a business too. My heart tells me Hanson gets to go out on his own terms, a "farewell tour" of sorts. My head tells me that sometimes the best thing is to just rip the band-aid off and get it over with.

Now, David Akers. Not a long-term fix in my opinion, 2-3 years tops. That said, before Akers got hurt, he bombed a 63-yarder in 2012 that would have been good from 65-70 yards out. The lad's got some leg. Has he fixed his head? I don't know. A kicker with the yips is worthless. Case in point: Mike Vanderjagt. FAMOUS for having the highest accuracy in the NFL. Also famous for missing a FG against the Patriots, and Peyton Manning shot saying, "The stupid kicker missed it." Vanderjagt went to the Cowboys as a free agent to solve their kicking problems. Got the yips. Was cut mid-season and never kicked in the NFL again. For myself, I hope the Lions don't use Akers beyond a bargaining chip.

A lot of teams in the NFL have kickers that are good, solid, accurate kickers. You don't hear too much about them, because they just come to work and do the job. Hanson is like that. Not a lot of highlight-reel kicks because he's not had to win a whole lot of games with his leg. Some teams have famous kickers. Some are famous (like Adam Vinitari) for being "clutch" in the playoffs and Super Bowl. Maybe Hanson would have been famous for that if the Lions hadn't sucked for the majority of his career. Some kickers are famous for being so wild they put excitement back into the extra point kick. The Rams drafted a kicker in 2012, and early in the season he got famous because he was kicking what seemed like nothing but 50-yard and longer kicks. The Vikings kicker got some notoriety for the same thing. Why? Because the sports writers, looking to fill the 24/7 news demands of the NFL, wrote about the new young kickers. They wrote about it a lot.

There are a lot of good kickers coming out in this year's draft, and I think the Lions should use their supplemental pick in the 4th round to nab the best of them.

My heart says Hanson should get to kick for the Lions until he can't kick any more. My head says it's time to move on.

_________________
If God isn't a Lions fan, then why is the sky Honolulu Blue?


April 3rd, 2013, 11:35 am
Profile
Div 1 - Starter

Joined: December 13th, 2005, 2:09 pm
Posts: 529
Post Re: David Akers?
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I think it's ridiculous that we've created a cap situation that has resulted in us not being able to afford the leading scorer in Lions history, and fan favorite, Jason Hanson.


When I talk about you being so inconsistent wjb, this is what I'm talking about. Hanson has said that "if" he plays this year, it will be only 2013 and only for the Lions. YOU have constantly harped and complained about the Lions being so bad that the BEST they will do in your opinion is 6-10.

Since Hanson isn't going to be the difference between the playoffs and a longer offseason (according to you), why shouldn't the Lions get a new kicker for the long-term?

Oh right. Because you have a man-crush on Hanson, so he gets to stay.

_________________
If God isn't a Lions fan, then why is the sky Honolulu Blue?


April 3rd, 2013, 11:39 am
Profile
Post Re: David Akers?
JL wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I think it's ridiculous that we've created a cap situation that has resulted in us not being able to afford the leading scorer in Lions history, and fan favorite, Jason Hanson.


When I talk about you being so inconsistent wjb, this is what I'm talking about. Hanson has said that "if" he plays this year, it will be only 2013 and only for the Lions. YOU have constantly harped and complained about the Lions being so bad that the BEST they will do in your opinion is 6-10.

Since Hanson isn't going to be the difference between the playoffs and a longer offseason (according to you), why shouldn't the Lions get a new kicker for the long-term?

Oh right. Because you have a man-crush on Hanson, so he gets to stay.


Why don't you read the whole phuckin' thread, dumbass...

Quote:
Sure, but guys that can drill 50+ yarders on the regular are at a minimum anyhow, and those guys make $3+ million per year. We have a guy that is a great kicker that is still super reliable and accurate that shouldn't NEED to kick 50+ yarders with our "great" offense, and we can have him for $2M per. It's stupid to turn that down.


Quote:
His "whole" job is to kick the ball through the uprights. The guy with the strongest leg kicks off, and that's not something his salary should be discounted for.

You say this now, but when we have some baffoon blow a kick you'll be crying.

The fact is, according to his stats, according to his PRODUCTION he should be making around $2M per year.


Quote:
I wouldn't mind drafting someone, but it comes with the growing pains of having a rookie kicker, and he's likely going to struggle a bit.


Quote:
I wish we would look at the draft(s) in the upcoming years and find "our guy" (a guy that we're willing to spend a 3rd - 5th round pick on), and going and getting our next "kicker for the next decade" in that draft. I don't think that salary cap is forcing the issue, especially with such a high character guy that still deserves his salary.



Maybe I wouldn't seem so inconsistent if you actually opened your eyes and read what was in front of you.

I don't think any vet should be over-paid, ever. Hanson is not immune. That said, I DO think he's worth $2M per year, I think he should get it, and unless we have "our guy" in this upcoming draft (and it doesn't sound like we do with the Akers talk), I think Hanson should get it, period. There is nothing inconsistent about my approach to Hanson that doesn't ring true to my approach to the rest of the team.


April 3rd, 2013, 12:07 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Joined: December 13th, 2005, 2:09 pm
Posts: 529
Post Re: David Akers?
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Why don't you read the whole phuckin' thread, dumbass...

Maybe I wouldn't seem so inconsistent if you actually opened your eyes and read what was in front of you.

I don't think any vet should be over-paid, ever. Hanson is not immune. That said, I DO think he's worth $2M per year, I think he should get it, and unless we have "our guy" in this upcoming draft (and it doesn't sound like we do with the Akers talk), I think Hanson should get it, period. There is nothing inconsistent about my approach to Hanson that doesn't ring true to my approach to the rest of the team.


I did read the whole thread, and unfortunately for you, I saw how your talking out your arse - again. You like to come across as the voice of intelligent reason, but the fact is that Hanson is going to go, if not this year, then next. Why should the Lions pass on an opportunity to grab the best available kicker in the draft and get on with things?

If you read the whole thread, you'd note that I mentioned a lot of teams have solid kickers, just like Hanson. What makes kickers "famous" is their clutch kicks in the playoffs and/or Super Bowl - two things Hanson has little experience with - or epic failures. Hanson is famous for his longevity in the NFL and the fact that he's been steady for one team - Detroit. No one is taking that away from him, that's one heck of a couple of accomplishments. It's been great for the Lions that for over 20 years, they didn't have to really worry about who was going to handle the placekicking. But facts are facts. The Lions are up against a flat salary cap, and Hanson is a one-year player, at best.

Based on your opinion - I've read a lot of threads, and your feelings about the Lion's playoff chances this year and well-documented - the Lions are going to have a losing record. Hanson isn't going to make a difference in that case. No need to worry about a clutch kick in the NFC championship game, much less one to even get the Lions into the playoffs. Why keep him then? Because he's a "fan favorite" and stand-up guy? Suh is a fan favorite as well, and if it were up to you you'd drive him to his new team yourself if the Lions would just get rid of him.

Yeah, I'd like to see Hanson stay, but keeping emotions out of it, there are some really great kickers coming out of college this year. It seems the smart play would be for the Lions to draft one, and have cost controls on that position for the next four or five years.

So yes, you're inconsistent. You don't like it if the Lions overpay players, but you want an exception made for Hanson. You didn't like it when Willie Young got tendered, but mentioned that he should have been signed for 3 years in a later post.

I don't really care any more about your ignorant negativity, but have some consistency in there. If you want Mayhew to be a better GM, and the Lions to be a better team, then at least have the balls to admit that sometimes, the GMs have to make hard decisions, and this time the hard decision involves Hanson.

_________________
If God isn't a Lions fan, then why is the sky Honolulu Blue?


April 3rd, 2013, 3:55 pm
Profile
Post Re: David Akers?
JL wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Why don't you read the whole phuckin' thread, dumbass...

Maybe I wouldn't seem so inconsistent if you actually opened your eyes and read what was in front of you.

I don't think any vet should be over-paid, ever. Hanson is not immune. That said, I DO think he's worth $2M per year, I think he should get it, and unless we have "our guy" in this upcoming draft (and it doesn't sound like we do with the Akers talk), I think Hanson should get it, period. There is nothing inconsistent about my approach to Hanson that doesn't ring true to my approach to the rest of the team.


I did read the whole thread, and unfortunately for you, I saw how your talking out your arse - again. You like to come across as the voice of intelligent reason, but the fact is that Hanson is going to go, if not this year, then next. Why should the Lions pass on an opportunity to grab the best available kicker in the draft and get on with things?

If you read the whole thread, you'd note that I mentioned a lot of teams have solid kickers, just like Hanson. What makes kickers "famous" is their clutch kicks in the playoffs and/or Super Bowl - two things Hanson has little experience with - or epic failures. Hanson is famous for his longevity in the NFL and the fact that he's been steady for one team - Detroit. No one is taking that away from him, that's one heck of a couple of accomplishments. It's been great for the Lions that for over 20 years, they didn't have to really worry about who was going to handle the placekicking. But facts are facts. The Lions are up against a flat salary cap, and Hanson is a one-year player, at best.

Based on your opinion - I've read a lot of threads, and your feelings about the Lion's playoff chances this year and well-documented - the Lions are going to have a losing record. Hanson isn't going to make a difference in that case. No need to worry about a clutch kick in the NFC championship game, much less one to even get the Lions into the playoffs. Why keep him then? Because he's a "fan favorite" and stand-up guy? Suh is a fan favorite as well, and if it were up to you you'd drive him to his new team yourself if the Lions would just get rid of him.

Yeah, I'd like to see Hanson stay, but keeping emotions out of it, there are some really great kickers coming out of college this year. It seems the smart play would be for the Lions to draft one, and have cost controls on that position for the next four or five years.

So yes, you're inconsistent. You don't like it if the Lions overpay players, but you want an exception made for Hanson. You didn't like it when Willie Young got tendered, but mentioned that he should have been signed for 3 years in a later post.

I don't really care any more about your ignorant negativity, but have some consistency in there. If you want Mayhew to be a better GM, and the Lions to be a better team, then at least have the balls to admit that sometimes, the GMs have to make hard decisions, and this time the hard decision involves Hanson.


Willie Young SHOULD have been signed for 3 years over an RFA tender, or allowed to walk. He's not worth $2M. If he was signed for a 3 year deal his cap number would be around $850k - $1.2M. That's a helluva lot better.

What does "over paying players" have to do with paying Hanson $2M? He's worth $2M, that's the point! If you want to say that we should be "playing for the future, that's fine, but the fact of the matter is, we didn't have a "hard decision" to make with Hanson, we have been backed into a cap corner by Mayhew and we're FORCED into a POSITION (not a decision position, big difference... positions are things you get "stuck" in, decisions are things that GOOD GM's make).


April 3rd, 2013, 4:13 pm
Online
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3788
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: David Akers?
But you have to understand taht Hanson being worth 2mil is a perspective thing WJB.

I LOVE Hanson. Have for a long time. Im sorry but I DON't think he's worth 2mil. especially not 2.5 mil.

1-1.5 is all his aging leg is worth IMO


2 mil IS overpaying him if he cant handle Kickoff dudties like he should.


At least to me.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


April 3rd, 2013, 4:23 pm
Profile
Post Re: David Akers?
regularjoe12 wrote:
But you have to understand taht Hanson being worth 2mil is a perspective thing WJB.

I LOVE Hanson. Have for a long time. Im sorry but I DON't think he's worth 2mil. especially not 2.5 mil.

1-1.5 is all his aging leg is worth IMO


2 mil IS overpaying him if he cant handle Kickoff dudties like he should.


At least to me.



Bullshit... Show me a kicker that has his offensive numbers that makes under $2M per year. It's not about his age, it's about his PRODUCTION.

He was 4th in the league in FGs made, 6th in the league in total points, and 11th in the league in overall %. He IS a top 10 kicker, and he's worth that kind of coin. Not all of the top 10 kickers have great legs. We were 14th overall last year in avg kickoffs...

The Colts pay A. Vin. around $3M per year, they were 7 spots behind us in kickoff duty.

Run the numbers, and Hanson deserves his paycheck, period.


April 3rd, 2013, 4:32 pm
Online
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3788
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: David Akers?
wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
But you have to understand taht Hanson being worth 2mil is a perspective thing WJB.

I LOVE Hanson. Have for a long time. Im sorry but I DON't think he's worth 2mil. especially not 2.5 mil.

1-1.5 is all his aging leg is worth IMO


2 mil IS overpaying him if he cant handle Kickoff dudties like he should.


At least to me.



Bullshit... Show me a kicker that has his offensive numbers that makes under $2M per year. It's not about his age, it's about his PRODUCTION.

He was 4th in the league in FGs made, 6th in the league in total points, and 11th in the league in overall %. He IS a top 10 kicker, and he's worth that kind of coin. Not all of the top 10 kickers have great legs. We were 14th overall last year in avg kickoffs...

The Colts pay A. Vin. around $3M per year, they were 7 spots behind us in kickoff duty.

Run the numbers, and Hanson deserves his paycheck, period.


add in that he only attempted 3 FG's from beyond 50. How many kickers have THAT few attempts after playing a full season? somwhere around 6 teams had less attempts. thats it. It's a little easier to have a higher FG percentage when the coaching staff doesnt have the confidence in your leg to let you try the big attempts. why are you refusing to see this?

I HATE the fact that you are making me sound like im Bashing Hanson.....

Reality is he is NOT the all pro kicker anymore. That happens after 40.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


April 3rd, 2013, 4:44 pm
Profile
Post Re: David Akers?
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
But you have to understand taht Hanson being worth 2mil is a perspective thing WJB.

I LOVE Hanson. Have for a long time. Im sorry but I DON't think he's worth 2mil. especially not 2.5 mil.

1-1.5 is all his aging leg is worth IMO


2 mil IS overpaying him if he cant handle Kickoff dudties like he should.


At least to me.



Bullshit... Show me a kicker that has his offensive numbers that makes under $2M per year. It's not about his age, it's about his PRODUCTION.

He was 4th in the league in FGs made, 6th in the league in total points, and 11th in the league in overall %. He IS a top 10 kicker, and he's worth that kind of coin. Not all of the top 10 kickers have great legs. We were 14th overall last year in avg kickoffs...

The Colts pay A. Vin. around $3M per year, they were 7 spots behind us in kickoff duty.

Run the numbers, and Hanson deserves his paycheck, period.


add in that he only attempted 3 FG's from beyond 50. How many kickers have THAT few attempts after playing a full season? somwhere around 6 teams had less attempts. thats it. It's a little easier to have a higher FG percentage when the coaching staff doesnt have the confidence in your leg to let you try the big attempts. why are you refusing to see this?

I HATE the fact that you are making me sound like im Bashing Hanson.....

Reality is he is NOT the all pro kicker anymore. That happens after 40.


How about you go look at the numbers before you make another post.

There were only 13 kickers in the league that made more 50+ yard FGs than Hanson, and only 15 kickers in the entire league that attempted more 50+yard FGs than Hanson, 3 of those kickers only had ONE additional attempt beyond 50 yards.

50 yard FGs and kickers that kick them are NOT as common as you think they are. They are a LUXURY that we've enjoyed here in Detroit because Hanson IS THAT GREAT.


April 3rd, 2013, 5:00 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Killwill25 and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.