View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 6:55 pm



Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Victor Cruz 
Author Message
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 641
Post Victor Cruz
Yes, it's unlikely, but what if Cruz lined up across Megatron next season? Giants have been struggling to even start serious talks with his agent. Maybe give them the 5th pick and a player for Cruz and a 2nd (I may be mistaken, can you add in a pick when trading for a RFA)?

He wants to get paid, but not Mike Wallace or Greg Jennings type of paid, around 9.5 mill a year. If we lined him up across Calvin you can legitimately make a case for it being a top five all time offense.

_________________
Image


April 3rd, 2013, 2:18 pm
Profile
League MVP
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3635
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Victor Cruz
Shotty wrote:
Yes, it's unlikely, but what if Cruz lined up across Megatron next season? Giants have been struggling to even start serious talks with his agent. Maybe give them the 5th pick and a player for Cruz and a 2nd (I may be mistaken, can you add in a pick when trading for a RFA)?

He wants to get paid, but not Mike Wallace or Greg Jennings type of paid, around 9.5 mill a year. If we lined him up across Calvin you can legitimately make a case for it being a top five all time offense.


That ties up an awful lot of money in one position. I like him as a player but i cant see us fielding a competative team with over 30 mil tied up at WR.


April 3rd, 2013, 2:49 pm
Profile
Online
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2271
Post Re: Victor Cruz
Many teams with 1 Top End Receiver struggle to go deep in playoffs because of the cost at that 1 player. make that 2 10 million dollar WRs and wed have to hit on every pick int he draft for the next 2 seasons to field a quality team (and nobody hits on every pick). We just cant afford it.


April 3rd, 2013, 3:07 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Post Re: Victor Cruz
DJ-B wrote:
Many teams with 1 Top End Receiver struggle to go deep in playoffs because of the cost at that 1 player. make that 2 10 million dollar WRs and wed have to hit on every pick int he draft for the next 2 seasons to field a quality team (and nobody hits on every pick). We just cant afford it.



iamwithstupid.gif


April 3rd, 2013, 3:16 pm
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3260
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Victor Cruz
Bad idea, NO.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


April 3rd, 2013, 4:03 pm
Profile
Online
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2271
Post Re: Victor Cruz
Why the hate wjb (or did I misunderstand the stupid sign?).

I figured you be the 1st to agree that investing in 2 10million + receivers is a recipe for disaster for any team.


April 3rd, 2013, 5:20 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer
User avatar

Joined: August 9th, 2004, 1:51 am
Posts: 235
Location: kalamazoo,mi
Post Re: Victor Cruz
As of right now I think the Lions only have like 6mil in cap space. Need to do something regarding that first.



Frok

_________________
I feel more like I do now than when I first got here.


April 3rd, 2013, 5:23 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3260
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Victor Cruz
frok wrote:
As of right now I think the Lions only have like 6mil in cap space. Need to do something regarding that first.



Frok


And we have to use that on our rookies too.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


April 3rd, 2013, 5:24 pm
Profile
1st Round Pick

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1239
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Victor Cruz
PFT wrote:
Victor Cruz looking for north of $10 million per year
Posted by Darin Gantt on April 4, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT

The Giants have offered restricted free agent wide receiver Victor Cruz a long-term deal worth $7 million a year, which considering the current climate, seemed to at least be in the neighborhood.

But it’s apparently not close to what Cruz and his new representatives are looking for.

According to Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News, several league sources said Cruz was asking for closer to $10 million to $11 million per year.

That’s the gulf between Dolphins-are-desperate-and-have-a-stadium-referendum-coming money, and the established market for slot receivers.

Of course, Cruz should make more than Wes Welker based on age alone (he’s 26 to Welker’s 31).

But wanting eight figures per year indicates an ambition beyond the realities of the current market, the kind of thing that leads a player to align himself with stars in hopes of even greater riches.

Good for him if he gets it, but he could end up with a long wait and a roll-the-dice year on the restricted free agent tender of $2.879 million, because those kind of deals are few and far between this offseason.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/04/victor-cruz-looking-for-north-of-10-million-per-year/

Looks like he does want Mike Wallace money, not that it was possible if he didn't.


April 4th, 2013, 1:44 pm
Profile
Online
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2271
Post Re: Victor Cruz
DJ-B wrote:
Why the hate wjb (or did I misunderstand the stupid sign?).

I figured you be the 1st to agree that investing in 2 10million + receivers is a recipe for disaster for any team.


Not trying to start an argument but posting it again in hopes WJB responds. Just not sure if I misunderstood his post, or if there is evidence of some teams with 2 x 10m $ receivers with late postseason success. Marvin Harrison & Reggie Wayne may have been close with Indy but Im having a hard time coming up with another Duo who were top 5-6 in the league both on the same team that didn't prevent the team from having enough quality players at other positions.


April 4th, 2013, 6:53 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 641
Post Re: Victor Cruz.
We can get about 5M for cutting NB next offseason, restructuring Staff, and the salary cap increase will make it easier on us. Maybe a 4 year $45 million dollar deal and our first for their 2nd and the new greatest show on turf?

_________________
Image


April 4th, 2013, 7:59 pm
Profile
Post Re: Victor Cruz
DJ-B wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
Why the hate wjb (or did I misunderstand the stupid sign?).

I figured you be the 1st to agree that investing in 2 10million + receivers is a recipe for disaster for any team.


Not trying to start an argument but posting it again in hopes WJB responds. Just not sure if I misunderstood his post, or if there is evidence of some teams with 2 x 10m $ receivers with late postseason success. Marvin Harrison & Reggie Wayne may have been close with Indy but Im having a hard time coming up with another Duo who were top 5-6 in the league both on the same team that didn't prevent the team from having enough quality players at other positions.


You misunderstood me... I was calling us both stupid for being "fiscally responsible"


April 4th, 2013, 8:13 pm
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3260
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Victor Cruz.
Shotty wrote:
We can get about 5M for cutting NB next offseason, restructuring Staff, and the salary cap increase will make it easier on us. Maybe a 4 year $45 million dollar deal and our first for their 2nd and the new greatest show on turf?


With the needs on O-line and defense, you seriously want to spend money on a WR? We dont need a high caliber WR. Someone like Massaquoi would do just fine. If Mayhew even attempted to find a way to get Victor Cruz, thatll be the last ounce of support ill have for him.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


April 4th, 2013, 8:31 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3504
Location: WSU
Post Re: Victor Cruz.
kdsberman wrote:
Shotty wrote:
We can get about 5M for cutting NB next offseason, restructuring Staff, and the salary cap increase will make it easier on us. Maybe a 4 year $45 million dollar deal and our first for their 2nd and the new greatest show on turf?


With the needs on O-line and defense, you seriously want to spend money on a WR? We dont need a high caliber WR. Someone like Massaquoi would do just fine. If Mayhew even attempted to find a way to get Victor Cruz, thatll be the last ounce of support ill have for him.


I honestly think the Lions do need another high caliber WR. Massaquoi is not even a quality player. He s a serviceable 4 at best. I dont think the Lions strategy of leaving massive holes all over both sides of the ball is all that much better than really making one side of the ball strong and going cheap on the other side. My thought would be to use as many resources as possible on offense as that seems to be the way the league is evolving. Defensively, they need to run a scheme where they dont have to pay as much for the players. Perhaps they have that with this wide 9 scheme and they think that they can just put speed rushers at ends. Still they shouldnt be paying money to resign players like Levy at > $3million/year when he is not even an average linebacker. That player should be replaceable with a late round draft pick like T. Lewis, Whitehead or what seems to be an earlier wasted pick used on R. Lewis, or a later pick in this draft. They ve totally misread the market on players like Houston and Delmas. There was a large corner surplus with quality veterans going late in the process for much less money than either got. Im okay with the Quinn signing bc they need to have a dependable player back there but they overpaid for Delmas and Houston. I think they would have been better off signing less familiar, but more reliable and cheaper players at the 2nd S and CB slot and spending that money for more weapons for Stafford. Reggie Bush was a start but he s not as good as Best. Burleson wasnt quite good enough as the No 2 WR to begin with, now his cap number is higher and isnt likely to be as good coming off a fracture into his knee. Broyles, who knows but he s a slot type. Expecting much more out of Pettigrew seems futile. The OL is trying to replace ineffective starters with there prior backups - all of whom are inexperienced - so dont expect more time for Stafford to throw. Stafford is at his best when he gets the ball out quickly and in rhythm. So far the Lions havent done enough to help their franchise which is Stafford.


April 4th, 2013, 9:01 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3260
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Victor Cruz
Not to make this a Massaquoi thread, but you dont even know how good he can actually be. Whos his QBs since being here?

I still dont believe we need another top end WR. A guy that can take pressure off of Calvin is plenty good enough. He almost had 2000 yards without that WR, imagine if we had one. Heyward-Bey would have been perfect.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


April 4th, 2013, 9:19 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.