View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 12:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 David Akers? 
Div 1 - Starter

Post Re: David Akers?
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
Wasn't Akers injured last year? Also for those worried about his range, he tied the record for the longest field goal in NFL history last season, before he got hurt. He made that kick at Lambeau. (by the way, the other two recent kickers to tie that record did it at Mile High Stadium)

I'm not saying he's the greatest kicker in the world, but people are reacting like he's trash. I think that's a bit of an exaggeration.

Akers had double-hernia surgery before last season, and then got re-injured when he slipped on the turf. Before the injury he hit one from 63 yards, and in 2011 his 49er teammates were making public statements about how good a kicker he was, and how it was surprising the Eagles let him go.

Akers DID get competition for his spot before SF went into the playoffs, won his job, and hit 3 FGs in the Super Bowl. (He also missed on in the NFC Championship game.) Still, I think it shows that he's got the ability to still kick well. 3 FGs in the biggest game, and no stories about how, "if only this or that kickoff was..." or, "If Akers doesn't miss that kick it's OT".

I still hope the team uses the 4th-round supplemental pick for the best kicker available.

April 6th, 2013, 12:52 pm
League MVP

Akers had a bad year and he s old. Im not thrilled with the signing but maybe he ll be better indoors than the swirling winds in San Fran

April 7th, 2013, 6:42 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
Akers had a bad year and he s old. Im not thrilled with the signing but maybe he ll be better indoors than the swirling winds in San Fran

Old? Older than Hanson? If Jason had come back, I don't know that too many would have complained. Akers still has a pretty good leg. I'd prefer him over wasting a draft pick that we don't need to on a guy who may have a big leg, but crumbles under pressure.

April 8th, 2013, 12:58 pm
League MVP

m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Old? Older than Hanson? If Jason had come back, I don't know that too many would have complained. Akers still has a pretty good leg. I'd prefer him over wasting a draft pick that we don't need to on a guy who may have a big leg, but crumbles under pressure.

He ll be turning 39 this coming season and he just missed 13 field goals and got cut. Are you saying you interpret these as good signs? My hope is that Akers career worst season isnt bc of father time catching up to him and possibly could do better inside Ford Field or the further away he gets from hernia surgery. Then again, on review of his season, he actually did worse towards the end of the season and seemed to struggle just as much in domed stadiums as he did outdoors. Im skeptical, I would rather the Lions put a draft pick down on a kicker like Dustin Hopkins, who knows he could give us 21 solid years like JH did.

April 9th, 2013, 5:41 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:

He ll be turning 39 this coming season and he just missed 13 field goals and got cut. Are you saying you interpret these as good signs? My hope is that Akers career worst season isnt bc of father time catching up to him and possibly could do better inside Ford Field or the further away he gets from hernia surgery. Then again, on review of his season, he actually did worse towards the end of the season and seemed to struggle just as much in domed stadiums as he did outdoors. Im skeptical, I would rather the Lions put a draft pick down on a kicker like Dustin Hopkins, who knows he could give us 21 solid years like JH did.

With so many other needs to address, I'd rather the Lions just signed a UDFA kicker rather than burn a pick on one. There is no Jason Hanson type kicker in this draft. That type of talent at kicker comes along once every other decade or so. Longevity+Reliability+Loyalty+Leg Strength is not a package you find in many drafts for a kicker.

April 10th, 2013, 11:18 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

We dont "need" another hanson. I'd be happy with a Robbie Gould level of kicker

April 10th, 2013, 11:36 am
Modmin Dude

FWIW:
ESPN wrote:
Lions: Minimal commitment to David Akers
April, 10, 2013
By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

When the Detroit Lions signed place-kicker David Akers last week, it was worth asking whether he would be given the 2013 job outright or if he was acquired to participate in a competition for Jason Hanson's old job.

Details of his one-year contract suggest Akers should be considered the favorite for the job. Importantly, though, the Lions' relatively moderate financial commitment shouldn't impact a decision to go in another direction if Akers can't rebound from a career-worst season.

The one-year deal is worth $1.005 million, including a veteran's-minimum base salary of $940,000 and a signing bonus of $65,000. The Lions also guaranteed $35,000 of the base salary, giving him a total of $100,000 in guarantees.

(The value of that signing bonus isn't random, by the way. It's the most a team can give out and still qualify for the minimum salary benefit credit that will hold his 2013 cap number at $620,000.)

So if Akers bombs in training camp, the Lions will be out $100,000 in cash if they decide to look elsewhere. The cap hit to release him would be minimal. The Lions wouldn't have guaranteed him even $100,000 if they planned an open competition, so it shouldn't be a large-enough total to impact their decision-making.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... avid-akers
Looks to be a 'try-out' type of contract; they could still be looking to draft / sign someone before camp.

April 10th, 2013, 11:58 am

MAn I wish the'd pay ME 100K to try out for kicker ;)

that'd be a sweet deal! lol

April 10th, 2013, 12:01 pm
National Champion

TheRealWags wrote:
FWIW:
ESPN wrote:
Lions: Minimal commitment to David Akers
April, 10, 2013
By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

When the Detroit Lions signed place-kicker David Akers last week, it was worth asking whether he would be given the 2013 job outright or if he was acquired to participate in a competition for Jason Hanson's old job.

Details of his one-year contract suggest Akers should be considered the favorite for the job. Importantly, though, the Lions' relatively moderate financial commitment shouldn't impact a decision to go in another direction if Akers can't rebound from a career-worst season.

The one-year deal is worth $1.005 million, including a veteran's-minimum base salary of $940,000 and a signing bonus of $65,000. The Lions also guaranteed $35,000 of the base salary, giving him a total of $100,000 in guarantees.

(The value of that signing bonus isn't random, by the way. It's the most a team can give out and still qualify for the minimum salary benefit credit that will hold his 2013 cap number at $620,000.)

So if Akers bombs in training camp, the Lions will be out $100,000 in cash if they decide to look elsewhere. The cap hit to release him would be minimal. The Lions wouldn't have guaranteed him even $100,000 if they planned an open competition, so it shouldn't be a large-enough total to impact their decision-making.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... avid-akers
Looks to be a 'try-out' type of contract; they could still be looking to draft / sign someone before camp.

They will at least sign someone else before camp. They do it every pre-season. This year shouldn't be any different.

Now will they draft a kicker? Who knows?

April 10th, 2013, 2:31 pm
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:

With so many other needs to address, I'd rather the Lions just signed a UDFA kicker rather than burn a pick on one. There is no Jason Hanson type kicker in this draft. That type of talent at kicker comes along once every other decade or so. Longevity+Reliability+Loyalty+Leg Strength is not a package you find in many drafts for a kicker.

Draft Jason, get 20 years from him, The other decade from every other decade is here. LOL.

April 10th, 2013, 4:29 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

We signed this dude today:

April 11th, 2013, 5:29 pm

my first concern is the LOW trajectory his balls have when he kicks from a FG position. he'd get a TON of blocks if he cant correct that (which means prolly no more 60 yarders)

the guys accuracy is INSANE though!

April 11th, 2013, 5:50 pm
League MVP

regularjoe12 wrote:
my first concern is the LOW trajectory his balls have when he kicks from a FG position. he'd get a TON of blocks if he cant correct that (which means prolly no more 60 yarders)

there is no way you can comment on accuracy without knowing how many takes it took to put that video together

April 11th, 2013, 6:59 pm

The Legend wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

there is no way you can comment on accuracy without knowing how many takes it took to put that video together

While that is100% true, you can't discount the accuracy needed to make some of those trick shots. IMO he made enough trick shots to give the guy credit where credit is due.

April 11th, 2013, 7:08 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Whether or not that guy's kicking skills would translate to the NFL, I have no idea, but he sure does look good in the video. I like the one where he punts a ball high and then kicks another ball and hits the first one midair (towards the end).

April 12th, 2013, 2:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next