View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 12:52 am



Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 David Akers? 
Author Message
Div 1 - Starter

Joined: December 13th, 2005, 2:09 pm
Posts: 530
Post Re: David Akers?
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
Wasn't Akers injured last year? Also for those worried about his range, he tied the record for the longest field goal in NFL history last season, before he got hurt. He made that kick at Lambeau. (by the way, the other two recent kickers to tie that record did it at Mile High Stadium)

I'm not saying he's the greatest kicker in the world, but people are reacting like he's trash. I think that's a bit of an exaggeration.


Akers had double-hernia surgery before last season, and then got re-injured when he slipped on the turf. Before the injury he hit one from 63 yards, and in 2011 his 49er teammates were making public statements about how good a kicker he was, and how it was surprising the Eagles let him go.

Akers DID get competition for his spot before SF went into the playoffs, won his job, and hit 3 FGs in the Super Bowl. (He also missed on in the NFC Championship game.) Still, I think it shows that he's got the ability to still kick well. 3 FGs in the biggest game, and no stories about how, "if only this or that kickoff was..." or, "If Akers doesn't miss that kick it's OT".

I still hope the team uses the 4th-round supplemental pick for the best kicker available.

_________________
If God isn't a Lions fan, then why is the sky Honolulu Blue?


April 6th, 2013, 12:52 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3682
Location: WSU
Post Re: David Akers?
Akers had a bad year and he s old. Im not thrilled with the signing but maybe he ll be better indoors than the swirling winds in San Fran


April 7th, 2013, 6:42 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9884
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: David Akers?
The Legend wrote:
Akers had a bad year and he s old. Im not thrilled with the signing but maybe he ll be better indoors than the swirling winds in San Fran


Old? Older than Hanson? If Jason had come back, I don't know that too many would have complained. Akers still has a pretty good leg. I'd prefer him over wasting a draft pick that we don't need to on a guy who may have a big leg, but crumbles under pressure.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


April 8th, 2013, 12:58 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3682
Location: WSU
Post Re: David Akers?
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Akers had a bad year and he s old. Im not thrilled with the signing but maybe he ll be better indoors than the swirling winds in San Fran


Old? Older than Hanson? If Jason had come back, I don't know that too many would have complained. Akers still has a pretty good leg. I'd prefer him over wasting a draft pick that we don't need to on a guy who may have a big leg, but crumbles under pressure.


He ll be turning 39 this coming season and he just missed 13 field goals and got cut. Are you saying you interpret these as good signs? My hope is that Akers career worst season isnt bc of father time catching up to him and possibly could do better inside Ford Field or the further away he gets from hernia surgery. Then again, on review of his season, he actually did worse towards the end of the season and seemed to struggle just as much in domed stadiums as he did outdoors. Im skeptical, I would rather the Lions put a draft pick down on a kicker like Dustin Hopkins, who knows he could give us 21 solid years like JH did.


April 9th, 2013, 5:41 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9884
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: David Akers?
The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Akers had a bad year and he s old. Im not thrilled with the signing but maybe he ll be better indoors than the swirling winds in San Fran


Old? Older than Hanson? If Jason had come back, I don't know that too many would have complained. Akers still has a pretty good leg. I'd prefer him over wasting a draft pick that we don't need to on a guy who may have a big leg, but crumbles under pressure.


He ll be turning 39 this coming season and he just missed 13 field goals and got cut. Are you saying you interpret these as good signs? My hope is that Akers career worst season isnt bc of father time catching up to him and possibly could do better inside Ford Field or the further away he gets from hernia surgery. Then again, on review of his season, he actually did worse towards the end of the season and seemed to struggle just as much in domed stadiums as he did outdoors. Im skeptical, I would rather the Lions put a draft pick down on a kicker like Dustin Hopkins, who knows he could give us 21 solid years like JH did.


With so many other needs to address, I'd rather the Lions just signed a UDFA kicker rather than burn a pick on one. There is no Jason Hanson type kicker in this draft. That type of talent at kicker comes along once every other decade or so. Longevity+Reliability+Loyalty+Leg Strength is not a package you find in many drafts for a kicker.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


April 10th, 2013, 11:18 am
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3814
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: David Akers?
We dont "need" another hanson. I'd be happy with a Robbie Gould level of kicker

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


April 10th, 2013, 11:36 am
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12130
Post Re: David Akers?
FWIW:
ESPN wrote:
Lions: Minimal commitment to David Akers
April, 10, 2013
By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

When the Detroit Lions signed place-kicker David Akers last week, it was worth asking whether he would be given the 2013 job outright or if he was acquired to participate in a competition for Jason Hanson's old job.

Details of his one-year contract suggest Akers should be considered the favorite for the job. Importantly, though, the Lions' relatively moderate financial commitment shouldn't impact a decision to go in another direction if Akers can't rebound from a career-worst season.

The one-year deal is worth $1.005 million, including a veteran's-minimum base salary of $940,000 and a signing bonus of $65,000. The Lions also guaranteed $35,000 of the base salary, giving him a total of $100,000 in guarantees.

(The value of that signing bonus isn't random, by the way. It's the most a team can give out and still qualify for the minimum salary benefit credit that will hold his 2013 cap number at $620,000.)

So if Akers bombs in training camp, the Lions will be out $100,000 in cash if they decide to look elsewhere. The cap hit to release him would be minimal. The Lions wouldn't have guaranteed him even $100,000 if they planned an open competition, so it shouldn't be a large-enough total to impact their decision-making.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... avid-akers
Looks to be a 'try-out' type of contract; they could still be looking to draft / sign someone before camp.

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


April 10th, 2013, 11:58 am
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3814
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: David Akers?
MAn I wish the'd pay ME 100K to try out for kicker ;)

that'd be a sweet deal! lol

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


April 10th, 2013, 12:01 pm
Profile
National Champion

Joined: August 13th, 2006, 11:04 pm
Posts: 871
Location: Washington, DC
Post Re: David Akers?
TheRealWags wrote:
FWIW:
ESPN wrote:
Lions: Minimal commitment to David Akers
April, 10, 2013
By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

When the Detroit Lions signed place-kicker David Akers last week, it was worth asking whether he would be given the 2013 job outright or if he was acquired to participate in a competition for Jason Hanson's old job.

Details of his one-year contract suggest Akers should be considered the favorite for the job. Importantly, though, the Lions' relatively moderate financial commitment shouldn't impact a decision to go in another direction if Akers can't rebound from a career-worst season.

The one-year deal is worth $1.005 million, including a veteran's-minimum base salary of $940,000 and a signing bonus of $65,000. The Lions also guaranteed $35,000 of the base salary, giving him a total of $100,000 in guarantees.

(The value of that signing bonus isn't random, by the way. It's the most a team can give out and still qualify for the minimum salary benefit credit that will hold his 2013 cap number at $620,000.)

So if Akers bombs in training camp, the Lions will be out $100,000 in cash if they decide to look elsewhere. The cap hit to release him would be minimal. The Lions wouldn't have guaranteed him even $100,000 if they planned an open competition, so it shouldn't be a large-enough total to impact their decision-making.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... avid-akers
Looks to be a 'try-out' type of contract; they could still be looking to draft / sign someone before camp.



They will at least sign someone else before camp. They do it every pre-season. This year shouldn't be any different.

Now will they draft a kicker? Who knows?


April 10th, 2013, 2:31 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7430
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: David Akers?
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Akers had a bad year and he s old. Im not thrilled with the signing but maybe he ll be better indoors than the swirling winds in San Fran


Old? Older than Hanson? If Jason had come back, I don't know that too many would have complained. Akers still has a pretty good leg. I'd prefer him over wasting a draft pick that we don't need to on a guy who may have a big leg, but crumbles under pressure.


He ll be turning 39 this coming season and he just missed 13 field goals and got cut. Are you saying you interpret these as good signs? My hope is that Akers career worst season isnt bc of father time catching up to him and possibly could do better inside Ford Field or the further away he gets from hernia surgery. Then again, on review of his season, he actually did worse towards the end of the season and seemed to struggle just as much in domed stadiums as he did outdoors. Im skeptical, I would rather the Lions put a draft pick down on a kicker like Dustin Hopkins, who knows he could give us 21 solid years like JH did.


With so many other needs to address, I'd rather the Lions just signed a UDFA kicker rather than burn a pick on one. There is no Jason Hanson type kicker in this draft. That type of talent at kicker comes along once every other decade or so. Longevity+Reliability+Loyalty+Leg Strength is not a package you find in many drafts for a kicker.


Draft Jason, get 20 years from him, The other decade from every other decade is here. LOL.


April 10th, 2013, 4:29 pm
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2303
Post Re: David Akers?
We signed this dude today:


_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


April 11th, 2013, 5:29 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3814
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: David Akers?
my first concern is the LOW trajectory his balls have when he kicks from a FG position. he'd get a TON of blocks if he cant correct that (which means prolly no more 60 yarders)


the guys accuracy is INSANE though!

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


April 11th, 2013, 5:50 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3682
Location: WSU
Post Re: David Akers?
regularjoe12 wrote:
my first concern is the LOW trajectory his balls have when he kicks from a FG position. he'd get a TON of blocks if he cant correct that (which means prolly no more 60 yarders)


the guys accuracy is INSANE though!


there is no way you can comment on accuracy without knowing how many takes it took to put that video together


April 11th, 2013, 6:59 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3814
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: David Akers?
The Legend wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
my first concern is the LOW trajectory his balls have when he kicks from a FG position. he'd get a TON of blocks if he cant correct that (which means prolly no more 60 yarders)


the guys accuracy is INSANE though!


there is no way you can comment on accuracy without knowing how many takes it took to put that video together



While that is100% true, you can't discount the accuracy needed to make some of those trick shots. IMO he made enough trick shots to give the guy credit where credit is due.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


April 11th, 2013, 7:08 pm
Profile
Online
Div 1 - Starter
User avatar

Joined: April 8th, 2010, 3:24 pm
Posts: 540
Post Re: David Akers?
Whether or not that guy's kicking skills would translate to the NFL, I have no idea, but he sure does look good in the video. I like the one where he punts a ball high and then kicks another ball and hits the first one midair (towards the end).


April 12th, 2013, 2:08 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Growler, njroar, Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.