View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 25th, 2014, 6:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post your realistic perfect 2013 Lions draft scenario 
Post Re: Post your realistic perfect 2013 Lions draft scenario
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:
Even if Revis is traded I don't think he steps foot on the field without a new deal in place. He is coming off that ACL injury and the thought of one wrong step or turn ending his career before that next pay day is definitely going through his mind.

I'm sure that's what his position would likely be, but I don't think he has proper leverage here. Any team he plays for is going to want to at least see what sort of form he's in before giving him a huge payday, and he can't afford to sit out the year.

If someone were to trade for him, are they restricted from franchising him also? The Jets had put that clause in the contract that stopped them from being able to use the tag on him after 2013, but I don't know if the language only pertained to the Jets or if it includes any team he is under contract with.

If any team that takes him is restricted from tagging him then they will have to get a deal done before they take him or they risk getting only one year back for their picks. If the team isn't also restricted they could conceivably get to seasons out of him for good value, while working out something longterm.

Generally contracts are "assigned" to the next team, meaning, any and all provisions transfer over to the next parties.

The team that's getting will get the first look at him post-injury, and they get him on the cheap. He's a $9+M player, and he's only making $6.5Mish next year in base salary, which is all the team getting him will be on the hook for.

I expect the team that gets him will try to work out a long-term deal, but I don't think they do it until after he's produced on the field for at least some portion of the season. They're going to want to know if he can play, and if he can stay healthy before they invest $20+M for him.

March 23rd, 2013, 1:24 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

1st round - LT Eric Fisher - I don't see a defensive stud for the LIons to draft and elite left tackles are always drafted in the top 10 very rarely do find one later in the draft. Losing Backus and Cherilus make this a position of need.

2nd round - DE Alex Okafor - The Lions need help on DL and can't wait any longer to address it.

3rd round - CB Blidi Wreh-Wison - The Lions need a CB and if available in the 3rd round he should be as good as any.

4th round - C Brian Schwenke - I heard his name several times as a possible replacement for Raiola who should be in his last year as a Lion.

I really don't care who is drafted from the 5th round on - these guys are special team and camp fodder if I knew how to find a diamond in the rough I would be making a lot of money as a pro scout.

March 30th, 2013, 10:22 am
Hall of Fame Player

Leo wrote:
1st round - LT Eric Fisher - I don't see a defensive stud for the LIons to draft and elite left tackles are always drafted in the top 10 very rarely do find one later in the draft. Losing Backus and Cherilus make this a position of need.

2nd round - DE Alex Okafor - The Lions need help on DL and can't wait any longer to address it.

3rd round - CB Blidi Wreh-Wison - The Lions need a CB and if available in the 3rd round he should be as good as any.

4th round - C Brian Schwenke - I heard his name several times as a possible replacement for Raiola who should be in his last year as a Lion.

I really don't care who is drafted from the 5th round on - these guys are special team and camp fodder if I knew how to find a diamond in the rough I would be making a lot of money as a pro scout.

Those first 4 players are right there for us, far more often than not, in the mock draft game, without having to trade anything for them.

March 30th, 2013, 2:07 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Is it just me or does Joeckel look kinda weak?

April 2nd, 2013, 10:04 am
thelomasbrowns wrote:

That's been a knock on him, and it scares me at the next level. IMO Reiff looks weak too. I'm sure it's a rookie thing, and it's going to take 2-3 years of being in a strength and conditioning program in the NFL to fully develop.

Joeckel is one of those players that I don't go by my gut... I don't like him much, but if the best scouts in the NFL say he's the best player in the draft, I have to think that means something.

April 2nd, 2013, 11:47 am
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:

Looks can be deceiving. Joeckel had 27 reps at the combine, same as Fisher - one less than Johnson. BTW - Reiff had 23 reps last year if memory serves me correct.

April 2nd, 2013, 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
Pablo wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

Looks can be deceiving. Joeckel had 27 reps at the combine, same as Fisher - one less than Johnson. BTW - Reiff had 23 reps last year if memory serves me correct.

IMO leg and core strength means more than arm/chest strength. I wish they would have these guys dead-lift or something.

Personally, IMO I would tend to think they could learn more interviewing their strength and conditioning coach than looking at their combine #'s.

April 2nd, 2013, 2:23 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

IMO leg and core strength means more than arm/chest strength. I wish they would have these guys dead-lift or something.

Personally, IMO I would tend to think they could learn more interviewing their strength and conditioning coach than looking at their combine #'s.

seems to me that there should be a timed distance that both O and D Linemen should have to push those big dummies/sleds. maybe they do but you never see those numbers. That would show a better idea of total body strength and footwork IMO

April 2nd, 2013, 2:41 pm
RIP Killer

Best thing to do is watch them against the top level competition they faced in college. I agree that their core and leg strength means more than upper body strength, no different than 40 times mean little for a cornerback who spends most of his time running backwards. People tend to forget that technique can go further in blocking than strength.

April 3rd, 2013, 8:36 pm

Round 1 - Eric Fisher, LT, Central Michigan
Round 2 - Cornelius Carradine, DE, Florida State
Round 3 - Dallas Thomas, OG, Tennessee
Round 4 - Darius Slay, CB, Mississippi State
Round 5 - Marquess Wilson, WR, Washington State
Round 6 - Brad Wing, P, LSU
Round 7 - Zac Dysert, QB, Miami
Round 7 - Conner Vernon, WR, Duke

With Fisher and Thomas OL of future sets up as Fisher/Sims/Nagy/Thomas/Reiff, Hilliard, Fox, Austin as backups
Carradine takes over as a starting DE and is probably better than Woerner who goes earlier.
Slay is probably better than any of the CBs we drafted last year and would go higher if he had more exposure.
Wilson is a risk that warrants investigation but Mike Leach has a history of abuse. Big talent in Round 5 at a spot with a need.
Wing has a lot of talent, and with limited picks this is a way to help the defense late in the draft.
I dont believe Kellen Moore is an NFL QB, Dysert could become a backup similar to Shaun Hill.
Vernon is a gamer, he s not really a Welker type but he could make the team and develop with his work ethic.

Lions have too many needs to address but they would get earlier contribution from this draft than either of the past two drafts.

April 3rd, 2013, 9:45 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

A few drafts ago I had a horrible feeling that MN would end up with Percy Harvin and now I have the same feeling about Tavon Austin. I would definitely consider drafting him if we can somehow trade back into the 16-20 range though Justin Hunter or waiting for Stedman Baily later on.

April 5th, 2013, 4:04 pm

Killwill25 wrote:
A few drafts ago I had a horrible feeling that MN would end up with Percy Harvin and now I have the same feeling about Tavon Austin. I would definitely consider drafting him if we can somehow trade back into the 16-20 range though Justin Hunter or waiting for Stedman Baily later on.

Austin would be a good Harvin replacement for MIN, makes a lot of sense.

April 5th, 2013, 4:31 pm
Team MVP

Killwill25 wrote:

Over getting a DE, G, or CB??

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 5th, 2013, 9:36 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

kdsberman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

Over getting a DE, G, or CB??

Yes, if Xavior Rhodes, Fluker, and Warmack are gone. Not only do I like him as a player but the Vikes have 2 late 1st rd picks and the Packers are back there too and I would hate for either of them to get Austin. As far as DE, I like Ansah(and would take him at 5) but Guys like Gholston, Okafor, or Cameron Merideth may be there a little later. I wouldn't be surprised if Damontre Moore slid to the third with the way he keeps dropping but I still think the goal should be getting the most out of Ronnell Lewis and Willy Young. The same goes for our young CBs. CBs get hurt a lot so I'm cool passing on CBs early in the draft but Xavior Rhodes is one of my favorite players in the draft this year and I think Mayhew likes him too. In any case, I expect the FO to be very aggressive.

April 6th, 2013, 3:17 am
I'm not worried about MN getting Austin. IMO you build you team, you don't take a player just so another team can't build the team they want. Further, it's not sustainable. We'd have him for a few years and have to let him go. I'd rather stay put and get a player that we can keep around for a while.

I'd like to see us end up with a new TE in this draft. I wonder if Pett has any trade value at this point....

April 7th, 2013, 10:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next