View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 3:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Prospect Meetings 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Prospect Meetings
regularjoe12 wrote:
them looking atWarmack tells me that trading down is definatly something they are looking at...I like it!

Mike O' Hara summed it up--the point of the draft is to accumulate talented players, not draft picks. I'm cool with them trading down a few spots if the LTs are gone, but I wouldn't want to do it just for the sake of it.

April 9th, 2013, 10:28 am
League MVP

thelomasbrowns wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
them looking atWarmack tells me that trading down is definatly something they are looking at...I like it!

Mike O' Hara summed it up--the point of the draft is to accumulate talented players, not draft picks. I'm cool with them trading down a few spots if the LTs are gone, but I wouldn't want to do it just for the sake of it.

If we drop back 2-5 spots we can probably still land johnson, then use the extra picks we traded to move up a little from the 2nd and get Warmack.

Unlikley? yes, but still possible....

If we can solidify the G and T spots I really think this offense can be amazing....

April 9th, 2013, 10:30 am
Team MVP

regularjoe12 wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

If we drop back 2-5 spots we can probably still land johnson, then use the extra picks we traded to move up a little from the 2nd and get Warmack.

Unlikley? yes, but still possible....

If we can solidify the G and T spots I really think this offense can be amazing....

Like you said, unlikely. But if they were able to pull that off, it just might be Mayhews best draft since he started.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 9th, 2013, 10:38 am
1st Round Pick

Johnson probably won't make it past the Cards and even if he did there is always a good chance of SD trading up a few spots to grab him. If they think LJ is a franchise LT then they need to stay at 5 and take him. You don't take the chance on missing a player you think is a blue chip guy.

There is also very little chance the Lions would move back into the 1st to get Warmack. It would almost certainly cost their first next year along with something this year. It is not cheap to get back into the middle of the first round even with a high second.

I can see them trading down if both tackles are gone and a good deal is thrown their way, but Mayhew probably has his eyes on at least one guy that will fall to 5 that he will consider to good to pass on.

April 9th, 2013, 12:44 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

It would take the 1st 4 picks to include Joeckel, Fisher, Millner & Ansah for him to not have a target they think is worth it, and even then LJ could make sense as the pick at 5. I don't see us trading back unless both OTs are gone and we decide a stockpile being offered is worth more than the shutdown CB and Edge rusher...

April 9th, 2013, 1:03 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Team MVP

I know one things for sure, this is going to be the most interesting draft the Lions have had in a long time. The possibilities are endless.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

April 9th, 2013, 1:24 pm
Team MVP

Quote:
The Detroit Lions hosted three prospects for pre-draft visits on Tuesday, including Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o, according to the team's official website.

Te'o, a first-team All-American and runner-up for the Heisman trophy, had an outstanding senior season for the Irish. He posted 113 tackles and 1.5 sacks. His biggest strides came in coverage, where he snagged seven interceptions and broke up another 11 passes.

For most of the year, Te'o was considered the top linebacker in the draft class, but his stock has dipped in recent months, first after a subpar performance in the National Championship game against Alabama, followed by the public embarrassment when his recently deceased girlfriend was revealed to be an elaborate hoax.

Te'o has done his best to put the hoax behind him, doing national television interviews with ESPN and Katie Couric, as well as facing the media at the NFL scouting combine.

Most analysts still expect him to be a first-round selection in April, but the 6-foot-2, 245-pound linebacker could slip into the early portions of the second round where the Lions hold the 36th overall selection.

In addition to Te'o, the Lions also met with Cincinnati tight end Travis Kelce and former University of Michigan running back Mike Cox.

Kelce has the physical makeup and skill set of a potentially elite player at his position. The 6-foot-5, 255-pounder caught 45 passes for 722 yards and eight touchdowns as a senior. He's also considered an elite blocker.

There are red flags. Kelce was suspended the entire 2010 season for an undisclosed violation of team rules, but if NFL decision-makers are comfortable he has put those issues behind him, he could go as early as the second round.

Cox spent four seasons at Michigan, redshirting his freshman year, but only saw little action in Ann Arbor, carrying the ball just 19 times. He transferred to UMass for his final season and tallied 773 yards from scrimmage and five touchdowns.

He's likely to be an undrafted free agent.

April 9th, 2013, 1:44 pm
Team MVP

Quote:
Detroit Lions bring in Wisconsin's Travis Frederick and Nevada's Jeremiah Green for pre-draft visits
Print By Justin Rogers | jrogers@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on April 12, 2013 at 4:12 PM, updated April 12, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Travis Frederick is a versatile offensive lineman who can play both center and guard in the NFL.
With less than two weeks to go before the NFL draft, the Detroit Lions have picked up the pace with their pre-draft visits. On Friday, the team hosted two more prospects, Wisconsin offensive lineman Travis Frederick and Nevada linebacker Jeremiah Green, according to the team's website.

Frederick is a bigger center, standing 6-foot-4 and weighing 312 pounds. He has slimmed down quite a during the pre-draft process, with a playing weight closer to 330 at Wisconsin.

The Lions like versatility in their offensive linemen, which Frederick offers. He started 13 games at guard before finding a permanent home snapping the football as a senior.

"I think one of my best qualities is that I can play both center and guard. In today's age, with smaller rosters," Frederick said at the NFL scouting combine, "it's really valuable for teams to be able to have somebody who can play both, especially in a back-up position, or if they can slide somebody over mid-game, they don't have to back up all three inside positions."

With Frederick anchoring the offensive line, the Badgers ran the ball 635 times last season, the most in the Big Ten, averaging 5.2 yards per carry and scoring 38 touchdowns on the ground.

Projected as a second-day draft pick, if Detroit selected Frederick, he could start at guard immediately and be groomed as a replacement for Dominic Raiola. The 12-year veteran will be in the final year of his contract in 2013.

Green, a 6-foot-1, 245-pound outside linebacker, is projected to go in the late rounds and could be an undrafted free agent. A junior college transfer, he averaged 58 tackles in two seasons with the Wolfpack. As a senior, he tallied 68 stops (6.5 for a loss), two sacks and a forced fumble.

The Lions felt the need to get a closer look at Green after strong performance at his pro day, where he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.49 seconds and posted a 39.5 inch vertical leap.

April 12th, 2013, 5:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2