View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 3:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Drafting Dee Milliner 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Drafting Dee Milliner
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I cautioned against Aaron Curry. You always have to question the guys that don't have to do it against big competition. Playing for Wake Forest just isn't the same as playing against the top schools with the top competition.

Millner is a different story coming from Bama. I do think he is a "safe" pick, but I think he will just be a "solid" (not good, just solid) CB.

His 10 yard times scare me, which was brought up as one of the reasons he doesn't look to "play" as fast as he runs. Still, I think he'll have a decent NFL career.

Aren't you the guy saying for us to draft Fisher at all costs?

April 11th, 2013, 1:31 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Was talking to a buddy yesterday and told him.. IF Fisher is there, I'd take him in a heartbeat and IF somehow Warmack is there in the 2nd(I know a lot of IFs).. take him too.. can you imagine how much better the OL would be if that were to happen? I see it as having an offense that can control the game and have 7min+ clock eating drives and not having to rely on the defense so much.

edit to add: I'd take Millner and wouldn't be upset about it if both Fisher and Joekel are gone.

NEVER GIVE UP!

April 11th, 2013, 3:09 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

LionsFan4Life wrote:
Was talking to a buddy yesterday and told him.. IF Fisher is there, I'd take him in a heartbeat and IF somehow Warmack is there in the 2nd(I know a lot of IFs).. take him too.. can you imagine how much better the OL would be if that were to happen? I see it as having an offense that can control the game and have 7min+ clock eating drives and not having to rely on the defense so much.

edit to add: I'd take Millner and wouldn't be upset about it if both Fisher and Joekel are gone.

I would love it if we moved up to get Warmack myself. if we could grab him in the 20's it wouldnt cost us a ton. (assuming we nabbed a Tackle already. We NEED a tackle!)

April 11th, 2013, 3:20 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

There is a chance he slips into the late 20s. Cooper is thought to be the "safer pick", and teams thought to want him like Tennessee or Buffalo have bigger needs. The second he hits 20 we should be calling every team that picks.

Say we were to trade up to the 20th pick to get him (from the 36th), how much do you think it'd take to do it?

April 11th, 2013, 3:49 pm
#1 Overall Pick

Shotty wrote:
There is a chance he slips into the late 20s. Cooper is thought to be the "safer pick", and teams thought to want him like Tennessee or Buffalo have bigger needs. The second he hits 20 we should be calling every team that picks.

Say we were to trade up to the 20th pick to get him (from the 36th), how much do you think it'd take to do it?

Next years 1st minimum.

April 11th, 2013, 3:57 pm

Shotty wrote:

I'm no expert, but maybe we could bundle the 2 comp picks? maybe the #2 a 4th and a fifth or 6th?

I used to think those picks had value but lets face it, the lions scouting dept hasn't shown any aptitude to be able to scout GOOD tallent in the later rounds...screw it trade em for something of value. GET ME A LINE THAT I CAN BE PROUD OF!

If we end this draft with one of the tackles, Warmack, a project DE, a kicker, and maybe a WR/KR to boot, I would be overjoyed

April 11th, 2013, 4:02 pm

rao wrote:
Shotty wrote:

Next years 1st minimum.

no way! thats way too expensive. the Lions have moved from early 2nd to mid-late 1st several times in the past decade and it has never costed nearly that muich
we have not taded away a future #1 in.....not once in the last 20 years.

pick 20-25 isnt NEARLY as expensive as 1-10. That range a trade may cost a future first on top of this years but not once you get into the teens...unless the trade partner isnt coughing up this years first. Thats the only time i can see that happening.

April 11th, 2013, 4:09 pm

Im going with Rao. to go from 36 to 20 (not 20-25, the stated question was 20) It would probably take 2-4,3-3 & 4-35 at minimum if we didn't want to trade future picks. Otherwise we could prob do it with just 2-4 and next years 1st. Maybe 2-4, next years 2nd and this years 4th... if we were lucky and whoever was at 20 wanted to move down badly.

Its not just what the value is when you are talking about a trade, its what you have to offer that they would be interested in.

April 11th, 2013, 4:30 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

DJ-B wrote:
Im going with Rao. to go from 36 to 20 (not 20-25, the stated question was 20) It would probably take 2-4,3-3 & 4-35 at minimum if we didn't want to trade future picks. Otherwise we could prob do it with just 2-4 and next years 1st. Maybe 2-4, next years 2nd and this years 4th... if we were lucky and whoever was at 20 wanted to move down badly.

Its not just what the value is when you are talking about a trade, its what you have to offer that they would be interested in.

I agree with you completely....and once again Im no expert, but history says that it shouldn't cost us that much. It hasnt in the past in MOST situations.

April 11th, 2013, 4:36 pm

Comp picks aren't tradable commodities and as much as it would be nice to add a G like Cooper or Warmack it would be foolish to mortgage the future for a G. This is a cash strapped team that is going to need as many early draft picks that can contribute early to make any significant noise over the next couple seasons.

April 11th, 2013, 4:46 pm

sweetd20 wrote:
Comp picks aren't tradable commodities and as much as it would be nice to add a G like Cooper or Warmack it would be foolish to mortgage the future for a G. This is a cash strapped team that is going to need as many early draft picks that can contribute early to make any significant noise over the next couple seasons.

THis is how I feel. I think Any trade UP in this draft is dumb. We have too many needs (even depth is lacking at many positions). Trading back id be fine with, or letting the draft come to us.

April 11th, 2013, 4:58 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

sweetd20 wrote:

There was a day I would agree with you that 7 picks means 7 new guys to improve the team...but i no longer think that way.I really belive that in the best intrest of the team we should trade away a few of the later picks and get early guys. we SUCK at finding gems in the later rounds. and have for some time.

telll ya what, Ill make a deal with you...you tell me the last guy we drafted after the 2nd round that you are glad is still on the team, and I'll stop advocating for a trade down. ( Willie young is the best that I can come up with. If we're going to draft nothing but garbage and backups, we may as well trade that crap for starters in positions we NEED.)

April 11th, 2013, 5:16 pm

I agree we suck in later rounds. The correct Answer is Sammie Lee Hill, even tho we had to let him walk this year. If Fairley hadn't fallen to us when he did, SLH would be our #2 DT right now which is what he was drafted to some day be, but because we took fairley we couldn't afford to keep SLH as Depth. I will admit he was 1 of the few highlights of a good later round pick amid a sea of mediocrity.

April 11th, 2013, 5:37 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

DJ-B wrote:
I agree we suck in later rounds. The correct Answer is Sammie Lee Hill, even tho we had to let him walk this year. If Fairley hadn't fallen to us when he did, SLH would be our #2 DT right now which is what he was drafted to some day be, but because we took fairley we couldn't afford to keep SLH as Depth. I will admit he was 1 of the few highlights of a good later round pick amid a sea of mediocrity.

I stand corrected. I was thinking he was the last of the millen drafts.

But like you said, he is one of a very few. I'd rather "waste" a couple of mid round picks to solidify our line for years, than gamble away on what history tells is will probably be another wasted pick.

I'm not saying this is ideal, or what all nfl teams should do, I'm just accepting the fact that we do very poorly after the 2 nd round and see this as the best move for the team.

Another perspective for you, when was the last time we got 2 starting nfl calibur players in one draft? I have to go back to the staff, Pett draft. You gotta admit, that would be a nice change...

April 11th, 2013, 7:01 pm

Well in response to your question I can only say that I said it would be foolish to trade away early round picks as they will be needed to play significant roles over the next couple of seasons while they get out from under this cap crunch. The talk was of trading 2nd and 3rd rounders and even next year's 1st rounder and that just makes no sense for a G even if they were the next Hutchinson.

April 11th, 2013, 9:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next