View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 18th, 2014, 1:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Drafting Dee Milliner 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Drafting Dee Milliner
sweetd20 wrote:
Well in response to your question I can only say that I said it would be foolish to trade away early round picks as they will be needed to play significant roles over the next couple of seasons while they get out from under this cap crunch. The talk was of trading 2nd and 3rd rounders and even next year's 1st rounder and that just makes no sense for a G even if they were the next Hutchinson.

I agree, that's why I say that would be too expensive. I also don't think that would be necessary to do that to move back up in th first. I really think we could do it with trading away a couple of this year picks.

April 12th, 2013, 8:23 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I'm on board with drafting Milliner if Fisher and Joeckel are gone. I think he fits our BPA approach there. If Delmas stays healthy, our secondary goes from a major liability to a major strength.

April 12th, 2013, 9:21 am
Div 1 - Starter

If they like Milliner then I don't have a problem with the pick. When was the last time we drafted a DB in the first round? The idea of the Lions being solid at cornerback is completely foreign to me. How long as it been? Have they ever been solid at that position?

April 13th, 2013, 2:19 am

Growler wrote:
If they like Milliner then I don't have a problem with the pick. When was the last time we drafted a DB in the first round? The idea of the Lions being solid at cornerback is completely foreign to me. How long as it been? Have they ever been solid at that position?

Maybe in '91?

April 13th, 2013, 7:11 am
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Growler wrote:

Maybe in '91?

When was Massey here? 93'? That was a good DB year for us. We were mediocre at DB throughout the Terry Fair/Dre Bly years, IMO.

April 13th, 2013, 7:58 am

wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Growler wrote:

Maybe in '91?

When was Massey here? 93'? That was a good DB year for us. We were mediocre at DB throughout the Terry Fair/Dre Bly years, IMO.

I was thinking of Ray Crockett and his awesome INT in the playoff game vs. Dallas. Don't know if he was any good otherwise or who was on the other side.

April 13th, 2013, 8:01 am

thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Growler wrote:

Maybe in '91?

I was thinking of Ray Crockett and his awesome INT in the playoff game vs. Dallas. Don't know if he was any good otherwise or who was on the other side.

Ray Crockett was a very good db both for us and for Denver. White was opposite of him ( Willie I think was his first name) and he was solid too. But Benny Blades! He was the guy who made our secondary scary....I miss Benny.....still have a poster of him around here somewhere.

But to answer an earlier question, the last time we used a first rd pick on a db should be Bryant Westbrook in the early 90s. But I'm not sure what round we picked Tery Fair, so it might have been him in the mid to late 90's.

April 13th, 2013, 11:12 am
Hall of Fame Player

thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Growler wrote:

Maybe in '91?

Yep. I was going to say Ray Crockett, William White, and Bennie Blades.

April 13th, 2013, 12:28 pm
Hall of Fame Player

regularjoe12 wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Growler wrote:

Maybe in '91?

Ray Crockett was a very good db both for us and for Denver. White was opposite of him ( Willie I think was his first name) and he was solid too. But Benny Blades! He was the guy who made our secondary scary....I miss Benny.....still have a poster of him around here somewhere.

But to answer an earlier question, the last time we used a first rd pick on a db should be Bryant Westbrook in the early 90s. But I'm not sure what round we picked Tery Fair, so it might have been him in the mid to late 90's.

I think we drafted Fair in the 3rd round. Terry Fair is the reason I developed my opinion that if you don't take a CB in the first 2 rounds, you might as well not draft one.

April 13th, 2013, 12:30 pm
Heisman Winner

Terry Fair was a rd 1 pick. Randy Moss was the next selection...

April 13th, 2013, 10:43 pm
Hall of Fame Player

jrd66 wrote:
Terry Fair was a rd 1 pick. Randy Moss was the next selection...
Your right. I don't know why I always remembered it as being Terry Fair we drafted in the 3rd or 4th round that proved to be a wasted pick for us. That's an embarrassing brain fart. LOL. :oops:

April 13th, 2013, 11:14 pm
RIP Killer

Terry Fair was the last DB selected in the first round by the Lions. The year before they took Bryant Westbrook. Westbrook was beginning to look like a really good shutdown corner until he blew out his Achilles. That's Lions Luck for you. Terry Fair was one of the worst first round picks there was. Not because he didn't work out for the Lions, but because he should have never been taken that high to begin with.

April 14th, 2013, 9:01 pm
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
Terry Fair was the last DB selected in the first round by the Lions. The year before they took Bryant Westbrook. Westbrook was beginning to look like a really good shutdown corner until he blew out his Achilles. That's Lions Luck for you. Terry Fair was one of the worst first round picks there was. Not because he didn't work out for the Lions, but because he should have never been taken that high to begin with.

And let's not forget, that "vertically challenged" corner would be matched up against the man the Vikes took with the next pick - "unvertically challenged" Randy Moss. Who do you think won most of those matchups?

April 15th, 2013, 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
Team MVP

Quote:
Who the Detroit Lions will draft with the fifth pick of the 2013 NFL draft has been hotly debated between analysts, with opinions largely split between Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner, BYU defensive end Ziggy Ansah or one of the top offensive tackles, Eric Fisher, Luke Joeckel or Lane Johnson.

Playing the role of the league's 32 general managers, ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. thinks Milliner is the player the Lions need most. With other teams at the top of the draft showing interest, Kiper believes Detroit should make a dramatic move up, swinging a deal with Kansas City for the No. 1 overall selection, to secure the cornerback's services.

While each situation is unique, the Washington Redskins had to give up three first-round picks and a second-rounder to make a similar move up the board last season, swapping the sixth pick for the St. Louis Rams' No. 2 choice.

What exactly would the Lions have to give to change spots with the Chiefs and draft Milliner? The talks would begin with Detroit's second-round selection, No. 36 overall, and some additional compensation in 2014, at least another second-rounder and probably more.

The move makes little sense because, one, Milliner isn't considered an elite defensive prospect compared to players drafted in recent years and two, Kiper has the Chiefs selecting Fisher at No. 5, a welcome consolation prize if the Lions were to stay put, considering the cost.

Given the amount of needs the Lions have, as well as the likely hot-seat status of general manager Martin Mayhew, a move this bold, simply doesn't make much sense.

THIS is why Mel Kiper is an idiot.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 17th, 2013, 4:54 pm

kdsberman wrote:
Quote:
Who the Detroit Lions will draft with the fifth pick of the 2013 NFL draft has been hotly debated between analysts, with opinions largely split between Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner, BYU defensive end Ziggy Ansah or one of the top offensive tackles, Eric Fisher, Luke Joeckel or Lane Johnson.

Playing the role of the league's 32 general managers, ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. thinks Milliner is the player the Lions need most. With other teams at the top of the draft showing interest, Kiper believes Detroit should make a dramatic move up, swinging a deal with Kansas City for the No. 1 overall selection, to secure the cornerback's services.

While each situation is unique, the Washington Redskins had to give up three first-round picks and a second-rounder to make a similar move up the board last season, swapping the sixth pick for the St. Louis Rams' No. 2 choice.

What exactly would the Lions have to give to change spots with the Chiefs and draft Milliner? The talks would begin with Detroit's second-round selection, No. 36 overall, and some additional compensation in 2014, at least another second-rounder and probably more.

The move makes little sense because, one, Milliner isn't considered an elite defensive prospect compared to players drafted in recent years and two, Kiper has the Chiefs selecting Fisher at No. 5, a welcome consolation prize if the Lions were to stay put, considering the cost.

Given the amount of needs the Lions have, as well as the likely hot-seat status of general manager Martin Mayhew, a move this bold, simply doesn't make much sense.

THIS is why Mel Kiper is an idiot.

Agreed! No one in the top 5 is even really looking at Milliner as far as I have seen...why the hell would we sell the farm when we have DIRE needs at all of the positions those 5 guys listed above play at. If we did that I'd join WJB on the "F Mayhew Bandwagon" in a heartbeat!

April 17th, 2013, 5:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next