View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 8:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Stafford wants to break records on the field, not w/contract 
Modmin Dude

Post Stafford wants to break records on the field, not w/contract
DetroitLions.com wrote:
Matthew Stafford wants to break records on the field, not with his contract
Posted 1 hour ago
Both Matthew Stafford and the Detroit Lions want the young quarterback to be in Honolulu Blue and silver long term, making a contract extension seemingly inevitable

Matthew Stafford wants to be the Detroit Lions' quarterback long term.

The Lions certainly want him to be the face of their franchise for the foreseeable future.

Because of those two variables, an agreement between the team and their young franchise quarterback on a contract extension is a likely outcome in the near future.

A new deal would be advantageous for both Stafford and the Lions. The fifth-year quarterback has two years remaining on his $72 million rookie deal, but because of a few restructures he's done in the past, he has a cap number hovering around $20 million the next two seasons.

The team would like to able to secure their franchise quarterback and lower that cap number so they can surround him with more talent. Stafford, no doubt, would like the comfort of a long-term deal at fair market value – which seems to be around $100 million.

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers will soon have a new deal that's expected to make him the highest paid player in the NFL.

Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco, who's coming off a Super Bowl victory, became the highest paid player in the NFL this offseason after signing a $120.6 million deal.

Tony Romo signed a six-year, $108 million deal to stay with the Cowboys this offseason.

Atlanta's Matt Ryan will get his long-term extension soon and the Giants' Eli Manning will also get a huge deal in the next couple years.

Stafford told reporters Tuesday that contract talks between his agent, Tom Condon, and the Lions are ongoing, but joked that he wasn't in on the calls when asked how the negotiations were going.

He did say that a new deal wasn't about breaking the bank, though.

"I want talent around me, frankly," he said. "You see guys breaking records with how much they're making and all that stuff, and honestly, you want fair market value, but I don't really care about breaking records too much. I want to break records on the field.

"I want to win games and have as many good players around me as I possibly can."

Stafford was adamant that he doesn't want the contract talks to become a distraction, which means that it makes the most sense to get a deal done before the season and not let his contract get into a final season.

"I don't expect it to be a distraction," Stafford said. "I personally don't want it to be. I like to focus on one thing and go after it, and whatever that is, that is it.

"Right now, that's football for me. That's kind of why I'm letting the agents and all that talk to the front office here and figure that stuff out. I would imagine there comes a point when we're getting it done or not.

"(The Lions) would want to do something. I want to do something. We'll figure something out hopefully, and if not, then we'll move on and table it for a year.

"Obviously, I love being here, I love this team and would love to bring a winner here. So that's my number one focus this whole offseason was trying to do everything I could to help us win."

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions- ... 1c09387266

April 16th, 2013, 1:28 pm
Post Re: Stafford wants to break records on the field, not w/cont
Blah, blah, blah, blah... So says the guy that "has no hand in the negotiations of his contract..."

It's easy for him to say that after he's renounced all responsibility for his next contract.

April 16th, 2013, 1:53 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Blah, blah, blah, blah... So says the guy that "has no hand in the negotiations of his contract..."

It's easy for him to say that after he's renounced all responsibility for his next contract.

ya, what a di*k, I wish he was more professional about this. :roll:

April 17th, 2013, 12:25 am
Killwill25 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

ya, what a di*k, I wish he was more professional about this. :roll:

It was covered on 97.1 four hours after my post. Mike V said the same damn thing. This is nothing more than lip service from a guy that's allowing his agent to do the exact opposite. If Stafford wants to work for a reasonable salary he can end this right now without the press release. He can call WCF right now and say "I'll work for $10, $12, $14M per year, and the contract is done. In fact, he can name the rest of his terms, escalators, number of years, and signing bonus if he wants to get that deal done, no problem.

The fact is, it's all bullshit. IF he really felt that way it would be done and over with.

April 17th, 2013, 12:53 am
QB Coach

So go on Twitter and call him out! You seem to have the knowledge and expertise, tell him to put his money where his mouth is. For that matter, go to D. Sharp, he seems to love all things anti-Lions. Encourage him to write such and article, see if it gets added to the freep and who knows maybe a quick deal gets done. I doubt it, but spouting it on fan boards is like preaching to the choir. We're all a bunch of blue/brown collar workers (some of our collars are lighter than others) who really have nothing other than a forum to air our greivances so go to the arena where something can be said, and maybe you'll get lucky and strike a nerve.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

April 17th, 2013, 8:15 am
WarEr4Christ wrote:
So go on Twitter and call him out! You seem to have the knowledge and expertise, tell him to put his money where his mouth is. For that matter, go to D. Sharp, he seems to love all things anti-Lions. Encourage him to write such and article, see if it gets added to the freep and who knows maybe a quick deal gets done. I doubt it, but spouting it on fan boards is like preaching to the choir. We're all a bunch of blue/brown collar workers (some of our collars are lighter than others) who really have nothing other than a forum to air our greivances so go to the arena where something can be said, and maybe you'll get lucky and strike a nerve.

It's already being done by people that have a larger stage, pullpit and audience than I do.

April 17th, 2013, 8:30 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Sometimes gestures are important.

April 17th, 2013, 8:44 am
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Sometimes gestures are important.

Sort of... This definitely sends a message to his agent and to the Lions organization, but like I said, at the same time, he could end this whenever he's ready, with whatever terms he's ready to agree to.

April 17th, 2013, 8:47 am
RIP Killer

I agree to a certain point. I'm tired of players spouting off about how their agent is handling the negotiations and expect the public to accept that it is out of their hands. The agent works for the player, not the other way around. I'm also tired of players who claim they are interested in the team, they want championships, blah, blah, blah...and then want to play hardball at the negotiating table and make more money than everybody in the free world.

I think Stafford is sort of straddling the fence here. When it was announced that he didn't renegotiate his deal and lower his cap number, there was a number of people, including some on this forum, that openly criticized him for not helping out the team by doing an extension and giving the team some cap relief.

But ask yourself this question. Is it Stafford's fault that the Lions are struggling with the cap? No, it's not. Is he obligated to take a lower salary this season to help out the team in that regard? No, he's not. And sorry, but I really don't think it makes him less of a team player, or invalidates his claims that he wants talent around him and wants to win. Business is business, the game is the game. I think Stafford felt compelled to explain himself due to the criticism he was getting. He waited until the fan fury died down, and made his feelings known.

I agree that Stafford could end things right now by simply telling his agent to take the latest Lions deal and let's move on. But would YOU trust the Lions organization to use that new found money wisely? I don't know that any of us would. And money taken away is money you never get a chance to make back.

I think Stafford is being honest in saying that he doesn't want a record deal, he just wants fair market value for his play. I can support that position. And I think as such, the Lions should accept the fact that Stafford is looking to be paid like a top ten QB. I don't really think that would be unfair. After all, how many other QBs have thrown for as many yards as he has the past two seasons? It doesn't matter if that is because our running game doesn't exist, or that he has CJ catching those balls. He still accumulated that over two seasons.

April 17th, 2013, 10:05 am
m2karateman wrote:
I agree to a certain point. I'm tired of players spouting off about how their agent is handling the negotiations and expect the public to accept that it is out of their hands. The agent works for the player, not the other way around. I'm also tired of players who claim they are interested in the team, they want championships, blah, blah, blah...and then want to play hardball at the negotiating table and make more money than everybody in the free world.

I think Stafford is sort of straddling the fence here. When it was announced that he didn't renegotiate his deal and lower his cap number, there was a number of people, including some on this forum, that openly criticized him for not helping out the team by doing an extension and giving the team some cap relief.

But ask yourself this question. Is it Stafford's fault that the Lions are struggling with the cap? No, it's not. Is he obligated to take a lower salary this season to help out the team in that regard? No, he's not. And sorry, but I really don't think it makes him less of a team player, or invalidates his claims that he wants talent around him and wants to win. Business is business, the game is the game. I think Stafford felt compelled to explain himself due to the criticism he was getting. He waited until the fan fury died down, and made his feelings known.

I agree that Stafford could end things right now by simply telling his agent to take the latest Lions deal and let's move on. But would YOU trust the Lions organization to use that new found money wisely? I don't know that any of us would. And money taken away is money you never get a chance to make back.

I think Stafford is being honest in saying that he doesn't want a record deal, he just wants fair market value for his play. I can support that position. And I think as such, the Lions should accept the fact that Stafford is looking to be paid like a top ten QB. I don't really think that would be unfair. After all, how many other QBs have thrown for as many yards as he has the past two seasons? It doesn't matter if that is because our running game doesn't exist, or that he has CJ catching those balls. He still accumulated that over two seasons.

I don't disagree with any of this. Stafford's salary averaged $12.5 million dollars over the life of his contract, it's not his fault that Mayhew "restructured" his deal multiple times making the final three years of his deal worth $20M, $19M and $17M respectively.

I also have no problem with him making "market value." His "market" value is going to be inflated based on his age, and he's going to get more than he's currently known to be worth, but his market value is that of a top 10 Qb. IMO it's stupid to restructure Stafford or extend him at this point. Why? The savings is going to be minimal, and we're going to have to commit ourselves to paying a guy a top 10 salary that hasn't proven himself as of yet. To me it makes no sense whatsoever.

April 17th, 2013, 10:20 am
NFL Veteran

With it being this late in the offseason and the Lions having made space in other ways already couldn't they use this year to help alleviate some of the hurt extending him will cause in the future. It seems as though they could leave his cap hit at 20M this year to avoid having to tag on so much more guaranteed money to the extension.

April 17th, 2013, 10:45 am
rao wrote:
With it being this late in the offseason and the Lions having made space in other ways already couldn't they use this year to help alleviate some of the hurt extending him will cause in the future. It seems as though they could leave his cap hit at 20M this year to avoid having to tag on so much more guaranteed money to the extension.

That's exactly what I think they should do. Start digesting some of the "crap" that Mayhew pushed down the road. We're not going to be very good next year anyhow. With any luck, maybe it gets Mayhew fired.

April 17th, 2013, 10:51 am
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:

That's exactly what I think they should do. Start digesting some of the "crap" that Mayhew pushed down the road. We're not going to be very good next year anyhow. With any luck, maybe it gets Mayhew fired.

I think that the idea of 'kicking the can down the road' is that the road gets a little wider further down. Basically, the cap is supposed to increase next season, possibly significantly, and that amortized money can be easier absorbed.

I'm not saying I agree with how things have been handled, but just trying to give some sort of explanation as to why it's been done that way. At this point, you'd have to ask yourself what would the Lions gain by extending Stafford down and reducing his cap hit? Will any good FAs enter the market after the draft? It's highly doubtful, but not entirely out of the question. That money may allow them to sign a guy or two who can help.

But that is a very unlikely occurrence, and as such I agree with the notion that the Lions just bite the bullet and pay Matt his money for the season and deal with it in 2014.

April 17th, 2013, 10:57 am
QB Coach

This is what I've been saying, I forget what thread it's in but it's out there. During free agency when he didn't have a contract, it doesn't really matter when we sign him. We created the space we needed to get who we wanted. If we do it this year, whatever cap space we save can be rolled over into next year. If we sign him next year, then we save that space right away anyway.

Someone mentioned the option of a front loaded contract. If he already counts $20M this season, when we re-sign him, why not leave that figure at $20M, then there will be less money in the years down the road that we have to dole out. A huge cap hit this year will lead to a more manageable one in years to come. I know the cap is supposed to "explode" in 2015, but we'd be covered in the event that it doesn't.

April 17th, 2013, 11:05 am
Butkus Award Winner

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
This is what I've been saying, I forget what thread it's in but it's out there. During free agency when he didn't have a contract, it doesn't really matter when we sign him. We created the space we needed to get who we wanted. If we do it this year, whatever cap space we save can be rolled over into next year. If we sign him next year, then we save that space right away anyway.

Someone mentioned the option of a front loaded contract. If he already counts $20M this season, when we re-sign him, why not leave that figure at $20M, then there will be less money in the years down the road that we have to dole out. A huge cap hit this year will lead to a more manageable one in years to come. I know the cap is supposed to "explode" in 2015, but we'd be covered in the event that it doesn't.

Took the words directly out of my mouth

April 17th, 2013, 11:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next