View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 28th, 2014, 8:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Stafford wants to break records on the field, not w/contract 
Post Re: Stafford wants to break records on the field, not w/cont
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
This is what I've been saying, I forget what thread it's in but it's out there. During free agency when he didn't have a contract, it doesn't really matter when we sign him. We created the space we needed to get who we wanted. If we do it this year, whatever cap space we save can be rolled over into next year. If we sign him next year, then we save that space right away anyway.

Someone mentioned the option of a front loaded contract. If he already counts $20M this season, when we re-sign him, why not leave that figure at $20M, then there will be less money in the years down the road that we have to dole out. A huge cap hit this year will lead to a more manageable one in years to come. I know the cap is supposed to "explode" in 2015, but we'd be covered in the event that it doesn't.

Stafford never "didn't have a contract." He's signed for the next 2-3 years already. If we extended him it would be to save money now and push it down the road.

M2, I get that, but it will never work with how much salary we're pushing down the road. We pushed $20M on Stafford's deal alone, that's ridiculous.

April 17th, 2013, 12:01 pm
QB Coach

Post Re: Stafford wants to break records on the field, not w/cont
Excuse my phrasing. During free agency when he didn't have a contract EXTENSION.

April 17th, 2013, 12:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2