View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2014, 3:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Lions trade rumors: Detroit willing to move down to 20s? 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Lions trade rumors: Detroit willing to move down to 20s?
Quote:
http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2013/4/18/4238832/lions-trade-rumors-nfl-draft-2013

According to a report, the Detroit Lions are willing to move down from No. 5 to somewhere in the 20s if the right deal comes along.

If a team's top targets aren't on the board when it goes on the clock, trading down is the best fallback plan. For the Detroit Lions, trading back seems to be the best option if Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher are gone when they go on the clock with the No. 5 overall pick. Of course, trading down is easier said than done, as teams have to find a partner that is willing to move up and surrender picks and/or players in the process.

If the Lions do decide that trading down is the way to go, just how far could they drop in the first round? CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports that the Lions are willing to go as far back as the 20s from the fifth overall pick.

I expect at least one trade in the top five -- Detroit, at fifth overall, would be willing to fall all the way back to the 20s, sources said, to pick up value along the way.

The theme of this draft is that it lacks elite players at most positions but is very deep overall. That's why dropping and getting extra picks could make a lot of sense. If you are already missing out on top guys like Joeckel and Fisher, is there really much of a difference between picking at No. 5 and No. 25? Given the Lions' desire to reportedly move down, it doesn't seem there is much of a difference, and adding extra picks this year and perhaps an extra first-rounder in the future could be a very wise move.

If a scenario does present itself where Joeckel and Fisher are gone and a team in the 20s decides to move all the way up to No. 5, how many picks would it take in your mind for the Lions to accept a trade offer?

April 18th, 2013, 1:44 pm
Team MVP

Post Re: Lions trade rumors: Detroit willing to move down to 20s?
Id be ok with this IF Joeckel and Fisher are off the board. Still think drafting Lane Johnson would be a better choice. But lets say they DID drop to 20. You're still looking at Bjoern Werner, who I still think is the best 4-3 DE in this draft, you got Te'o...already have Tulloch so that could be questionable, potentially Kenny Vacarro even though our safeties seem to be set, potentially Xavier Rhodes, Jonathon Cooper, Trufant...and HOPEFULLY a 1st rounder next year. If they were to trade back that far, I would heavily target Werner or one of the guards.

Still would rather stay put and take Johnson IMO.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 18th, 2013, 1:53 pm

I like the idea of trading back to get younger guys that would be more cap friendly especially with all the money tied up in Suh, Calvin and Stafford. As mentioned there would still be some quality guys to choose from plus getting an extra 1st next year would be great.

NEVER GIVE UP!

April 18th, 2013, 2:18 pm

Would consider it but only with equitable trade value. St Louis would be tempting but Id want both 16 and 22 in the 1st to do it, or 1 of those plus next years 1st, plus extra in this draft (2nd and 3rd maybe). Minnesota also has 2 1sts, but I Highly doubt they'd trade with us. Id rather see a trade back to 7-14 and take the best of Milliner (if he falls somehow) , Warmack, Cooper, Best CB, Lane Johnson etc, then go back to the 20s, but letting people know ahead of time wed consider dropping that far could have teams in the 20s (like the rams) look at top 10 picks they previously had to assume they couldn't touch as actual possibilities and may get someone to make a jump they previously wouldn't have considered, so its a good thing to throw out. Even if they only want to trade down some, making the range go that far could entice a fight over players (even geno smith) who may be there at 5. It certainly cant hurt us to have that knowledge out there.

April 18th, 2013, 3:06 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

DJ-B wrote:
Would consider it but only with equitable trade value. St Louis would be tempting but Id want both 16 and 22 in the 1st to do it, or 1 of those plus next years 1st, plus extra in this draft (2nd and 3rd maybe). Minnesota also has 2 1sts, but I Highly doubt they'd trade with us. Id rather see a trade back to 7-14 and take the best of Milliner (if he falls somehow) , Warmack, Cooper, Best CB, Lane Johnson etc, then go back to the 20s, but letting people know ahead of time wed consider dropping that far could have teams in the 20s (like the rams) look at top 10 picks they previously had to assume they couldn't touch as actual possibilities and may get someone to make a jump they previously wouldn't have considered, so its a good thing to throw out. Even if they only want to trade down some, making the range go that far could entice a fight over players (even geno smith) who may be there at 5. It certainly cant hurt us to have that knowledge out there.

There was just a report on PFT that Atlanta was looking to move up in a big way. Wonder if this is in response to that?

April 18th, 2013, 3:08 pm
Butkus Award Winner

thelomasbrowns wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

There was just a report on PFT that Atlanta was looking to move up in a big way. Wonder if this is in response to that?

They did literally give their whole draft to Cleveland to grab Julio Jones, that only being to trade up 21 spots compared to 25 this time, and I think they're next big target is Milliner as they cut Dunt'a Robinson, lost Brent Grimes, and are relying on a 32 year old Asante Samuel to take on #1 WRs. If it is with ATL (30th pick) I say NO to anything less than two 2nds, a 3rd and a 4th or their first next year and a 3rd.

April 18th, 2013, 3:53 pm
League MVP

Shotty wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

They did literally give their whole draft to Cleveland to grab Julio Jones, and I think they're next big target is Milliner as they cut Dunt'a Robinson, lost Brent Grimes, and are relying on a 32 year old Asante Samuel to take on #1 WRs. If it is with ATL (30th pick) I say NO to anything less than two 2nds, a 3rd and a 4th or their first next year and a 3rd.

30 is too far. I say no. we NEED 2 starting o linemen...it's going to be really tough to get 2 that late. we could nab a guard, but we'd be screwed at Tackle.

April 18th, 2013, 3:57 pm
RIP Killer

I think if the Lions were to move back into the 20s, there needs to be a team there that has the ammunition and the need to move up. I don't see St. Louis giving up their two first rounders. Minnesota likely won't either. Cincinnati has an extra second rounder, so they could move up. However, there aren't any players they need that will be there at five that won't be there a few picks later. Indy might be willing to make a move to get someone like Ziggy Ansah ahead of Cleveland, Arizona and the Jets. Other than those teams, I just don't see anyone else in the 20s that would be a likely trade partner.

That's not to say the Lions couldn't swing a deal with Tampa Bay (if the Revis deal falls through) or Miami (if the 'phins value Lane Johnson enough) or even Carolina (who may want to move up to nab either Star Lotulelei or Sharrif Floyd).

April 18th, 2013, 4:04 pm
RIP Killer

regularjoe12 wrote:
Shotty wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

They did literally give their whole draft to Cleveland to grab Julio Jones, and I think they're next big target is Milliner as they cut Dunt'a Robinson, lost Brent Grimes, and are relying on a 32 year old Asante Samuel to take on #1 WRs. If it is with ATL (30th pick) I say NO to anything less than two 2nds, a 3rd and a 4th or their first next year and a 3rd.

30 is too far. I say no. we NEED 2 starting o linemen...it's going to be really tough to get 2 that late. we could nab a guard, but we'd be screwed at Tackle.

Sorry, but I disagree. If the Falcons were to offer their 1st next year, #30, #60 and #127 plus maybe a mid-rounder next year, there's no way the Lions should refuse that deal. The Falcons are looking for a final piece of the puzzle, but the Lions need to build a roster. You do that through adding picks like that. We have some really good players, but they are surrounded with mediocre talent. Surround those starts with above average to really good players, and suddenly you have a much, much improved TEAM.

At #30 the Lions could still get a very good player, like a Datone Jones at DE, or Menelik Watson at OT, or possibly even Werner falls that far. Getting those extra picks would go a long way toward improving this roster, where as the number five pick only improves on position.

Mayhew would be a damn fool to pass on an offer like that, particularly in a draft like this where most feel like there isn't any truly "elite" level prospects.

April 18th, 2013, 4:11 pm
Butkus Award Winner

m2karateman wrote:
I think if the Lions were to move back into the 20s, there needs to be a team there that has the ammunition and the need to move up. I don't see St. Louis giving up their two first rounders. Minnesota likely won't either. Cincinnati has an extra second rounder, so they could move up. However, there aren't any players they need that will be there at five that won't be there a few picks later. Indy might be willing to make a move to get someone like Ziggy Ansah ahead of Cleveland, Arizona and the Jets. Other than those teams, I just don't see anyone else in the 20s that would be a likely trade partner.

That's not to say the Lions couldn't swing a deal with Tampa Bay (if the Revis deal falls through) or Miami (if the 'phins value Lane Johnson enough) or even Carolina (who may want to move up to nab either Star Lotulelei or Sharrif Floyd).

If this is the case, I say trade down again unless a top-caliber player miraculously falls to #13, and as it stands, that will not happen. All 3 LTs, Milliner, Dion Jordan and Ansah will all be gone.

April 18th, 2013, 4:20 pm
1st Round Pick

Shotty wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

If this is the case, I say trade down again unless a top-caliber player miraculously falls to #13, and as it stands, that will not happen. All 3 LTs, Milliner, Dion Jordan and Ansah will all be gone.

There is still Warmack, Cooper, maybe Mingo as possible top talent available at 13, all could start immediately for the Lions.

April 18th, 2013, 4:56 pm
Butkus Award Winner

rao wrote:
Shotty wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

There is still Warmack, Cooper, maybe Mingo as possible top talent available at 13, all could start immediately for the Lions.

I think the Titans AND Chargers take Warmack and Cooper back to back since both lost solid starting guards and I don't think Mingo would be the right pick if it was to be there.

April 18th, 2013, 5:18 pm
QB Coach

I think a move down to the 20s could work out well. We may be able to nab one of the top guards or get Trufant or Werner and should pick up at least a second and fourth this year as well as a number 1 next year.

April 18th, 2013, 6:29 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

m2karateman wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Shotty wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

Sorry, but I disagree. If the Falcons were to offer their 1st next year, #30, #60 and #127 plus maybe a mid-rounder next year, there's no way the Lions should refuse that deal. The Falcons are looking for a final piece of the puzzle, but the Lions need to build a roster. You do that through adding picks like that. We have some really good players, but they are surrounded with mediocre talent. Surround those starts with above average to really good players, and suddenly you have a much, much improved TEAM.

At #30 the Lions could still get a very good player, like a Datone Jones at DE, or Menelik Watson at OT, or possibly even Werner falls that far. Getting those extra picks would go a long way toward improving this roster, where as the number five pick only improves on position.

Mayhew would be a damn fool to pass on an offer like that, particularly in a draft like this where most feel like there isn't any truly "elite" level prospects.

Absolutely agree! Your " but the Lions need to build a roster " statement hits the nail on the head. More is not always better, but in this years draft there's real value in 2nd to 5th rounds, IMO. Unfortunately, Mayhews batting average after the 1st round is unimpressive, and I have doubts of his eye for talent.

April 18th, 2013, 6:31 pm
Veteran General Manager

regularjoe12 wrote:
Shotty wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

Terron Armisted. He has all the measurables that Lane Johnson has. But, Terron played at a small school: Arkansas Pine Bluff. He can be had with our 2nd round pick.

April 18th, 2013, 10:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next