View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 1:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Lawrence Okoye 
3rd Round Selection

Post Lawrence Okoye
Obvious interest from me in this guy :D http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap10000 ... ay-workout

As well as the athleticism, IMO the guy's got the mental aptitude and the dedication to convert that athleticism into football talent. Can't see us drafting him (we have space for 2 DE's, one of which needs to be potential starter material the other who would ideally be LoJack) but he's a project I'd love to see on the Lions for selfish reasons.

April 18th, 2013, 6:21 am
NFL Veteran

Post Re: Lawrence Okoye
He'll be an UDFA and be signed to a practice squad most likely. He has no football experience and I can't see anyone using an actual pick or roster spot on a guy with absolutely no chance of playing this year. He's only 21 years old, I kinda wonder if it wouldn't have been smarter to see if a US college would be willing to scholarship him and then come out at 24 for the draft.

April 18th, 2013, 9:12 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Raiders, 5th round

April 18th, 2013, 2:27 pm
3rd Round Selection

rao wrote:
He'll be an UDFA and be signed to a practice squad most likely. He has no football experience and I can't see anyone using an actual pick or roster spot on a guy with absolutely no chance of playing this year.

I expect you're right. I think this guy has the potential to surprise, though. It took him under 2 years to go from not throwing the discuss to an Olympic final, and at an age about 10 years younger than when most discuss throwers reach their peak. If he landed on our practice squad, I'd be very pleased (this is the closest I'll get to wanting the Lions to draft the star player from my college team :D ).

rao wrote:
He's only 21 years old, I kinda wonder if it wouldn't have been smarter to see if a US college would be willing to scholarship him and then come out at 24 for the draft.

With what he possibly had in front of him in athletics, I can see why he'd rather try and fast track that a bit. He'd rather find out quickly whether he could cut it in the NFL, rather than spend 3 years in college and then find out.

April 19th, 2013, 3:12 am
NFL Veteran

UK Lion wrote:
rao wrote:
He'll be an UDFA and be signed to a practice squad most likely. He has no football experience and I can't see anyone using an actual pick or roster spot on a guy with absolutely no chance of playing this year.

I expect you're right. I think this guy has the potential to surprise, though. It took him under 2 years to go from not throwing the discuss to an Olympic final, and at an age about 10 years younger than when most discuss throwers reach their peak. If he landed on our practice squad, I'd be very pleased (this is the closest I'll get to wanting the Lions to draft the star player from my college team :D ).

rao wrote:
He's only 21 years old, I kinda wonder if it wouldn't have been smarter to see if a US college would be willing to scholarship him and then come out at 24 for the draft.

With what he possibly had in front of him in athletics, I can see why he'd rather try and fast track that a bit. He'd rather find out quickly whether he could cut it in the NFL, rather than spend 3 years in college and then find out.

I guess the question I would have about him is if he at least understands the game of football or watch it. Not to downplay him becoming an Olympic level discuss thrower, but I'd say that it's a little less learning involved and more about repetition when your as physically gifted as he is. Learning football will probably require a lot more mental effort from him if he's coming in completely fresh.

I'm rooting for him, I think it's a pretty cool thing to see him make the transition and I also would love to see him on the Lions practice squad.

April 19th, 2013, 10:26 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Why not we've already got a Soccer Player famous from Youtube on the Roster. :)

April 19th, 2013, 11:23 am
Profile ICQ WWW
3rd Round Selection

Signed as an UDFA with the 49ers, apparently.

April 28th, 2013, 3:29 am
NFL Veteran

he won't make the 49ers roster, so he will be available to anyone that wants to give him a roster spot while he is on the 9ers practice squad.

He got at least a year to two years on a practice squad before I see him ever making a roster.

April 28th, 2013, 11:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]