View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 22nd, 2014, 3:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Lions trade rumors: Detroit willing to move down to 20s? 
Post Re: Lions trade rumors: Detroit willing to move down to 20s?
I only like a move down that far IF we get two starting caliber impact players out of the deal (Xavier Rhodes and Cooper, maybe?). I have no faith in our ability to judge talent that isn't a "sure thing," hence, my reluctance in "trading down."

April 18th, 2013, 10:46 pm
Walk On

Vikings interested in moving up in first round

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on April 18, 2013, 11:22 PM EDT
Green Bay Packers v Minnesota Vikings Getty Images

With two picks in the first round of the draft (No. 23 and No. 25 overall), the Minnesota Vikings have the ammunition available to move up in the first round if they so desire.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, it’s a decision the Vikings are already considering.

Per Rapaport, the Vikings are targeting help at wide receiver and cornerback in the draft after two of their best moved on to Seattle in Percy Harvin and Antoine Winfield. A move up in the draft would likely be to target a wide receiver. West Virginia’s Tavon Austin could be a suitable replacement for Harvin if the Vikings can find a trade partner to deal with. Austin likely won’t be available by the time Minnesota drafts in the 20′s.

However, Rapaport suggested the Vikings may not be willing to part with their second first round pick to make the move. With needs at corner and linebacker, losing both first round picks to move up may prove too great a cost. Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o, Washington cornerback Desmond Trufant or Boise State cornerback Jamar Taylor could be possible fits for the Vikings at No. 25 overall.

With the general consensus on the draft being that there isn’t much difference in talent between players in the Top 50, many teams will likely be looking to trade down if possible believing they can get a player of similar ability later while acquiring more picks in the process. If Minnesota truly wants to trade up, they likely won’t have trouble finding a partner. The question will be if the price is too much for the Vikings to stomach.

April 19th, 2013, 12:00 am
Rookie Player of the Year

Mufasa wrote:
Vikings interested in moving up in first round

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on April 18, 2013, 11:22 PM EDT
Green Bay Packers v Minnesota Vikings Getty Images

With two picks in the first round of the draft (No. 23 and No. 25 overall), the Minnesota Vikings have the ammunition available to move up in the first round if they so desire.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, it’s a decision the Vikings are already considering.

Per Rapaport, the Vikings are targeting help at wide receiver and cornerback in the draft after two of their best moved on to Seattle in Percy Harvin and Antoine Winfield. A move up in the draft would likely be to target a wide receiver. West Virginia’s Tavon Austin could be a suitable replacement for Harvin if the Vikings can find a trade partner to deal with. Austin likely won’t be available by the time Minnesota drafts in the 20′s.

However, Rapaport suggested the Vikings may not be willing to part with their second first round pick to make the move. With needs at corner and linebacker, losing both first round picks to move up may prove too great a cost. Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o, Washington cornerback Desmond Trufant or Boise State cornerback Jamar Taylor could be possible fits for the Vikings at No. 25 overall.

With the general consensus on the draft being that there isn’t much difference in talent between players in the Top 50, many teams will likely be looking to trade down if possible believing they can get a player of similar ability later while acquiring more picks in the process. If Minnesota truly wants to trade up, they likely won’t have trouble finding a partner. The question will be if the price is too much for the Vikings to stomach.

I got offered Minny's two first-rounders in the Draft Game. I took it and got some pretty good players. I know they're saying they don't want to give up both 1sts, but that might just be a bargaining strategy.

April 19th, 2013, 12:24 am
Hall of Fame Player

I suspect that if we do trade down, either 1 big trade down or a few shorter drops, that it means that Mayhew and Schwartz like Fluker. Bill Polian, ( Former Colt's GM), works for Sirius/XM now, and he believes that Fluker can be a pro bowl LT.

Fluker might be there at 20 and if Polian believes Fluker can be a LT, that's good enough for me. He definitely had good college coaching and faced top competition.

April 19th, 2013, 9:33 am
#1 Overall Pick

BillySims wrote:
I suspect that if we do trade down, either 1 big trade down or a few shorter drops, that it means that Mayhew and Schwartz like Fluker. Bill Polian, ( Former Colt's GM), works for Sirius/XM now, and he believes that Fluker can be a pro bowl LT.

Fluker might be there at 20 and if Polian believes Fluker can be a LT, that's good enough for me. He definitely had good college coaching and faced top competition.

Fluker has question marks on his pass protection and ability to handle speed rushers, at least that's the more consensus view on him. He has great size and length, but he is just as likely as Reiff to be unable to handle the left side.

April 19th, 2013, 10:15 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Exactly. And the Vikings don't want to trade to 5 unless they want to surprise everyone and go for Milliner. Austin isn't worth #5, and if they don't want to part with both they don't have the Ammo to come up to us. That's not even counting the reluctance of many teams to trade within the division (it still happens, but less frequently). If they didn't include both it would take a massive package incl next years 1st to come to 5, and I doubt they want to do that, they are probably looking at the 10-20 area for Austin.

April 19th, 2013, 11:29 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I think they'd take Cordarelle Patterson before they take Austin. But if we did take this trade, would you take a WR in one of the spots?

April 19th, 2013, 3:34 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Killwill25 wrote:
I think they'd take Cordarelle Patterson before they take Austin. But if we did take this trade, would you take a WR in one of the spots?

Honestly, if Cordarelle Patterson is sitting there at #13-30 after we trade down, why not? He's an athletic FREAK. Other options are Keenan Allen and Justin Hunter. The best part is guys who are a bit less proven like Robert Woods, DeAndre Hopkins (character concerns, though), and Markus Wheaton can be had in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

I'd only want a 1st round WR if it's CP, honestly. He's just an absolute freak athletically. His abilities are comparable to CJ, and he ran a 4.44 standing at 6'2, 216lb.

April 19th, 2013, 3:55 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Killwill25 wrote:

I'd take Austin. Can play 3 positions, WR, RB, return man, and pound for pound is the most dynamic player in the draft. I wouldn't be surprised if they were considering him at 5.

April 19th, 2013, 4:14 pm
#1 Overall Pick

Shotty wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

Honestly, if Cordarelle Patterson is sitting there at #13-30 after we trade down, why not? He's an athletic FREAK. Other options are Keenan Allen and Justin Hunter. The best part is guys who are a bit less proven like Robert Woods, DeAndre Hopkins (character concerns, though), and Markus Wheaton can be had in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

I'd only want a 1st round WR if it's CP, honestly. He's just an absolute freak athletically. His abilities are comparable to CJ, and he ran a 4.44 standing at 6'2, 216lb.

Patterson questions are getting pretty concerning. There are so many things out there about his complete lack of ability to understand a playbook and that he requires large amount of reps to learn a route.

I'm in the Justin Hunter camp. He's got AJ Green like ability and unlike Broyles he has played a full season after healing from his ACL injury. He even had better stats last year than Patterson coming off that injury.

April 19th, 2013, 4:18 pm
Team MVP

liontrax wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

I'd take Austin. Can play 3 positions, WR, RB, return man, and pound for pound is the most dynamic player in the draft. I wouldn't be surprised if they were considering him at 5.

If they drafted a WR at 5, i would be done with this team.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 19th, 2013, 4:23 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

kdsberman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

I agree....too many holes on the line. having two great WR's is nice, but whats the point if the QB gets killed on every play?

April 19th, 2013, 4:29 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

regularjoe12 wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

I agree....too many holes on the line. having two great WR's is nice, but whats the point if the QB gets killed on every play?

LOL, guys, we're talking about getting one after trading down to #13 or further. I'd throw my remote through my TV if we picked one at #5.

April 19th, 2013, 4:43 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Shotty wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

LOL, guys, we're talking about getting one after trading down to #13 or further. I'd throw my remote through my TV if we picked one at #5.

even then.......we're no good if Staff gets planted every play.

April 19th, 2013, 4:44 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I only like a move down that far IF we get two starting caliber impact players out of the deal (Xavier Rhodes and Cooper, maybe?). I have no faith in our ability to judge talent that isn't a "sure thing," hence, my reluctance in "trading down."

This. In general, trading back is a good move. In the Lions specific case, you have to look at the quality of picks they have made late in the first and later. The track record isn't good, therefore, staying put at #5 for more of a sure thing is probably the best option for this organization.

April 19th, 2013, 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next