View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 29th, 2014, 12:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Drafting Lane Johnson 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Drafting Lane Johnson
kdsberman wrote:
rao wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
I understand the need for LT and I am all for taking one @ 5 but I'm surprised at how little we talk about replacing Dom. I really think we should put a premium on looking to replace him at C. Even if it means trading up in the later rounds.

I think Johnson will be a starter, Fluker should too if he keeps his weight in check. but as long as we have Dom at C, all we are gonna be able to do is throw the ball. We have two very capable running backs and Leshoure. It is crucial that we fortify the inside RIGHT NOW.

This team isn't going to get behind the center and run even if they had a stronger center. It's not their style of offense. They just need to make sure the guards and tackles are set.

I think most people are expecting Nagy to come back from his injury and be able to take over for Raiola. Nagy already has starting experience at center and should be a decent replacement as long as he can stay healthy.

I have also saw numerous people on the board suggesting Barrett Jones or Travis Frederick in the later rounds, so people obviously care. The Lions asked Raiola to take a pay cut and that seems to show they are ready to part ways also.

The only reason more people aren't talking about center is everyone is focused on the first 2 rounds more than anything else.

Not their style of offense? Its called "football".

lol...true, but Bush is a speed back, a majority of his run plays are going to be designed to go outside where he can use his speed to get to the sideline. Loshour will see the up the gut runs, dont get me wriong, but remember when Best was healthy? how many runs up the gut did you see? 1 out of 7-10? maybe? The outside of the line is going to have to get locked up or we wasted money on Bush. He cant use that speed if he cant get outside.

April 19th, 2013, 4:28 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

rao wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
I understand the need for LT and I am all for taking one @ 5 but I'm surprised at how little we talk about replacing Dom. I really think we should put a premium on looking to replace him at C. Even if it means trading up in the later rounds.

I think Johnson will be a starter, Fluker should too if he keeps his weight in check. but as long as we have Dom at C, all we are gonna be able to do is throw the ball. We have two very capable running backs and Leshoure. It is crucial that we fortify the inside RIGHT NOW.

This team isn't going to get behind the center and run even if they had a stronger center. It's not their style of offense. They just need to make sure the guards and tackles are set.

I think most people are expecting Nagy to come back from his injury and be able to take over for Raiola. Nagy already has starting experience at center and should be a decent replacement as long as he can stay healthy.

I have also saw numerous people on the board suggesting Barrett Jones or Travis Frederick in the later rounds, so people obviously care. The Lions asked Raiola to take a pay cut and that seems to show they are ready to part ways also.

The only reason more people aren't talking about center is everyone is focused on the first 2 rounds more than anything else.

Agree, and agree. Think Dom was only kept around as insurance. Believe they'll add a Center mid to late rounds, although it's not a great year for it.

April 19th, 2013, 4:33 pm
NFL Veteran

kdsberman wrote:
rao wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

Not their style of offense? Its called "football".

A lot of teams run behind the OGs and not their center on short yardage. If your trying to get push you follow the biggest strongest guy on your line and that's usually one of the OGs.

April 19th, 2013, 4:36 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

liontrax wrote:
rao wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

Agree, and agree. Think Dom was only kept around as insurance. Believe they'll add a Center mid to late rounds, although it's not a great year for it.

Depends on Nagy's health. we brought him as Dom's replacement from what I understand.

April 19th, 2013, 4:43 pm
I still think Dom starts for us, unless he gets injured in 2013. I don't like it, but that's what I think will happen. I'd really like to see us draft an OC and dump Dom. Even at Vet min., he's still earning too much to be a backup OC.

April 19th, 2013, 4:56 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

rao wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I still think Dom starts for us, unless he gets injured in 2013. I don't like it, but that's what I think will happen. I'd really like to see us draft an OC and dump Dom. Even at Vet min., he's still earning too much to be a backup OC.

Exactly. Dom is the incumbent starter, Nagy is his Backup/Future replacement if he stays healthy (although hoping they'll let them compete in camp and consider benching Dom if Nagy looks healthy and good) AND I think they will consider Jones/Frederick/etc in 3rd-6th rounds if they are a good value for the future. If Nagy proves he isn't back to form, then C would become the primary line need for next year, but im hoping we grab 1 this year, just not in the top 3 rounds.

April 19th, 2013, 5:16 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3