View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 11:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Lions trade rumors: Detroit willing to move down to 20s? 
Post Re: Lions trade rumors: Detroit willing to move down to 20s?
Pablo wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I only like a move down that far IF we get two starting caliber impact players out of the deal (Xavier Rhodes and Cooper, maybe?). I have no faith in our ability to judge talent that isn't a "sure thing," hence, my reluctance in "trading down."

This. In general, trading back is a good move. In the Lions specific case, you have to look at the quality of picks they have made late in the first and later. The track record isn't good, therefore, staying put at #5 for more of a sure thing is probably the best option for this organization.

I agree Pablo. Good LTs are picked early for a reason, we need one, one should be there, we pass more than any other team in the NFL, no brainer, get it done.

I understand the desire to get more starters. This team does have a ton of holes, but if we're going to see what we really have in Matt Stafford, and if we're really concerned with setting this team up for long-term success, LT is the way to go.

April 19th, 2013, 4:58 pm
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I only like a move down that far IF we get two starting caliber impact players out of the deal (Xavier Rhodes and Cooper, maybe?). I have no faith in our ability to judge talent that isn't a "sure thing," hence, my reluctance in "trading down."

This. In general, trading back is a good move. In the Lions specific case, you have to look at the quality of picks they have made late in the first and later. The track record isn't good, therefore, staying put at #5 for more of a sure thing is probably the best option for this organization.

I agree Pablo. Good LTs are picked early for a reason, we need one, one should be there, we pass more than any other team in the NFL, no brainer, get it done.

I understand the desire to get more starters. This team does have a ton of holes, but if we're going to see what we really have in Matt Stafford, and if we're really concerned with setting this team up for long-term success, LT is the way to go.

That's the bottom line right there, plain and simple.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 19th, 2013, 5:22 pm
Butkus Award Winner

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Truth right here. According to Lane Johnson's twitter page, he's 6'7, 314lb right now, and also a bit immature.

April 19th, 2013, 5:31 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

liontrax wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
I think they'd take Cordarelle Patterson before they take Austin. But if we did take this trade, would you take a WR in one of the spots?

I'd take Austin. Can play 3 positions, WR, RB, return man, and pound for pound is the most dynamic player in the draft. I wouldn't be surprised if they were considering him at 5.

I like Austin, but not at the top of the 1st. Yes he looks like an Epic Slot receiver, but he is still a slot receiver and not an outside threat.

Check out KC Joyners article which makes a pretty compelling case that Austins cohort Stedman Bailey who is considered a later prospect by most. Stats don't tell the whole story, but they also don't often lie when It comes to WRs & College Production.

KC Joyner wrote:
Stedman Bailey, WR, West Virginia

Reason undervalued: Perceived as the third-best offensive player on his team

It can be awfully hard for any offensive player to get as much notice as he should when playing on a team that has a Heisman Trophy front-runner (Geno Smith). But throw in a Biletnikoff Award front-runner in Tavon Austin and it's easy to see why Bailey might have gotten lost in the shuffle. However, in many ways he might have been even more valuable to the West Virginia offense than Austin was.

Part of this stems from Bailey's overall metrics, which, as noted in the aforementioned NFL draft wide receiver prospect article, were actually better than Austin's in many ways.

In addition to the superior metrics, Austin typically served as the slot wide receiver while Bailey was used as an outside target. The outside role can often be more difficult because that receiver usually gets a tougher cornerback matchup. Bailey did not seem fazed by this in the least, something evidenced by his performance against All-Big 12 Oklahoma cornerback Aaron Colvin. Bailey racked up 10 receptions in 17 targets against Colvin and gained 190 yards and three touchdowns on those passes.

Recent NFL free-agency moves have shown that outside wideouts such as Mike Wallace are more highly valued than top-of-the-line slot receivers such as Wes Welker. If that holds true in the draft, a strong case can be made that Bailey should be drafted higher than Austin.

EDIT: In Fact, Check out KCs Underrated Prospects whole article, as it has Multiple WRs in it id rather us target.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft201 ... -prospects

April 19th, 2013, 5:36 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
I like Aaron Dobson, Ryan Swop and Kenny Stills in the 4th round area. Like I said, we need a new #2 Wr, but he doesn't have to be a world beater... All of those guys are over 6', athletic, fast, and can and will stretch the D. That's all we need, IMO.

April 19th, 2013, 6:07 pm

Da'rick Rodgers is a beast too.

April 19th, 2013, 6:52 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

My favorite is Markus Wheaton. But I have doubts he will last till the 4th.

April 19th, 2013, 7:12 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Killwill25 wrote:

I honestly think he's arguably the best WR in the draft, but he wouldn't last over 3 seasons with us. He has character issues, and the Lions arent exactly the team to go to to fix them.

April 19th, 2013, 7:17 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I like Aaron Dobson, Ryan Swop and Kenny Stills in the 4th round area. Like I said, we need a new #2 Wr, but he doesn't have to be a world beater... All of those guys are over 6', athletic, fast, and can and will stretch the D. That's all we need, IMO.

I don't think any of those guys get past the 3rd. This year is going to have a huge run on WRs in rounds 2 and 3, the value is huge in those rounds for WRs.

April 19th, 2013, 7:56 pm

Then you still have Stedman Baily, Marquise Goodwin, Terrance William. There are a lot of good receivers in this draft that have either the size, speed or both to beat out Nate this year (most likely) or next at the latest, at which point we should have CJ, 2013 Draft Pick, Broyles as our trio of capable (and more) WRs.

April 19th, 2013, 7:59 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
NFL Veteran

DJ-B wrote:
Then you still have Stedman Baily, Marquise Goodwin, Terrance William. There are a lot of good receivers in this draft that have either the size, speed or both to beat out Nate this year (most likely) or next at the latest, at which point we should have CJ, 2013 Draft Pick, Broyles as our trio of capable (and more) WRs.

Baily and Williams will probably be gone too. There is an incredible amount of teams looking for WRs, this year you got MIN, STL, PIT, NYJ, and HOU looking for guys they can plug in immediately. Then there are still a bunch of teams that aren't in need, but could benefit from another guy like BUF, NE, MIA, and CAR. Someone will fall to DET in the later rounds, but he's probably not going to be a starter ready guy. I kinda hope one of the character concern guys drops so the Lions can get a big play guy for cheap, I can't imagine anyone can be more of a jacka** than Titus was.

April 19th, 2013, 8:39 pm

Shotty wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

I honestly think he's arguably the best WR in the draft, but he wouldn't last over 3 seasons with us. He has character issues, and the Lions arent exactly the team to go to to fix them.

didn't know that about him

April 20th, 2013, 12:53 am
Butkus Award Winner

Killwill25 wrote:
Shotty wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

didn't know that about him

He failed a bunch of drug tests, and to those who think hes changed, his twitter background is 3 girls laying in bed. That alone should have him off our draft board.

April 20th, 2013, 10:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3