View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 5:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Lions looking to move down. 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Lions looking to move down.
If this is true, It makes me wonder if they are content to go with Reiff at LT and trade down to draft Fluker to play RT?

Quote:
Multiple teams looking to wheel and deal on Thursday
National Football PostBy Joe Fortenbaugh | National Football Post

Uncertainty reigns supreme when it comes to the NFL draft and 2013 is quickly proving to be no exception to the rule. Expect the unexpected, unless you’re expecting to witness multiple teams wheeling and dealing in the first round. In that case, you can go ahead and expect the expected.

Howie RosemanHowie Roseman and the Philadelphia Eagles are one of five teams looking to move back in the first round.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that five teams who are currently located within the first twelve selections are looking to trade down. Schefter names the Philadelphia Eagles (No. 4), Detroit Lions (No. 5), Cleveland Browns (No. 6), Buffalo Bills (No. 8) and Miami Dolphins (No. 12) as parties interested in sliding down from their assigned positions.

Here’s where it gets even more interesting. We already know that the Atlanta Falcons and San Francisco 49ers have a desire to move up in the draft, but Schefter goes on to name the Dolphins as another organization looking to climb the ladder. That means Miami is working the phones with an interest in moving in either direction.

In the face of all this unpredictability, one thing does emerge as a certain: Mock drafters are going to have a hell of a time tying to nail 10+ correct picks on Thursday.

April 23rd, 2013, 5:15 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Lions looking to move down.
Interesting that teams 4-6 are all looking to move down. If the 3 tackles are off the board, there are injury concerns with Milliner and each DE has question marks. The OT's are key to the top 5-6 picks in the draft, I'm guessing teams are now seeing them off the board earlier than thought just a couple of weeks ago.

April 23rd, 2013, 5:20 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

P.S. Miami could move up to draft whichever LT is still on the board at #5. We would get Round 1 pick 12, Round 2 pick 10, and round 3 pick 15 at least. They have 2 second rounders and 2 third rounders. So, they could do this trade.

I just did a draft game in which the only trade I accepted was for Miami's 1st and both their 2nd round picks. And it ended up being the highest scored draft I have done. I would be happy if it played out like that.

Quote:
Your score is: 4453 (Drafting Ability: A, Player Quality A, Future Draft Picks: N/A)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 12 (MIA): Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama (A)
Round 2 Pick 4: Alec Ogletree, OLB, Georgia (A)
Round 2 Pick 10 (MIA): Menelik Watson, OT, Florida State (A)
Round 2 Pick 22 (MIA): Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU (A-)
Round 3 Pick 3: Matt Elam, SS, Florida (A)
Round 4 Pick 35 (COMP): Khaled Holmes, C, Southern California (A)
Round 5 Pick 4: Eric Martin, DE, Nebraska (B)
Round 6 Pick 3: William Campbell, DT, Michigan (A)
Round 7 Pick 5: Robert Lester, SS, Alabama (A-)
Round 7 Pick 39 (COMP): Quinn Sharp, P, Oklahoma State (A)

Your Future Picks:
2014 Round 1 Pick
2015 Round 1 Pick

April 23rd, 2013, 5:40 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Pablo wrote:
Interesting that teams 4-6 are all looking to move down. If the 3 tackles are off the board, there are injury concerns with Milliner and each DE has question marks. The OT's are key to the top 5-6 picks in the draft, I'm guessing teams are now seeing them off the board earlier than thought just a couple of weeks ago.

BillySims wrote:
P.S. Miami could move up to draft whichever LT is still on the board at #5. We would get Round 1 pick 12, Round 2 pick 10, and round 3 pick 15 at least. They have 2 second rounders and 2 third rounders. So, they could do this trade.

I just did a draft game in which the only trade I accepted was for Miami's 1st and both their 2nd round picks. And it ended up being the highest scored draft I have done. I would be happy if it played out like that.

Quote:
Your score is: 4453 (Drafting Ability: A, Player Quality A, Future Draft Picks: N/A)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 12 (MIA): Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama (A)
Round 2 Pick 4: Alec Ogletree, OLB, Georgia (A)
Round 2 Pick 10 (MIA): Menelik Watson, OT, Florida State (A)
Round 2 Pick 22 (MIA): Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU (A-)
Round 3 Pick 3: Matt Elam, SS, Florida (A)
Round 4 Pick 35 (COMP): Khaled Holmes, C, Southern California (A)
Round 5 Pick 4: Eric Martin, DE, Nebraska (B)
Round 6 Pick 3: William Campbell, DT, Michigan (A)
Round 7 Pick 5: Robert Lester, SS, Alabama (A-)
Round 7 Pick 39 (COMP): Quinn Sharp, P, Oklahoma State (A)

Your Future Picks:
2014 Round 1 Pick
2015 Round 1 Pick

Agree with both. In the Bloggers Mock draft on ESPN, Miami traded to #3 with the Raiders to lock in Fisher, and the Lions took Lane Johnson. But assuming Miami doesn't try to go to 3, going to 5 to take the 3rd LT would make sense for both them and the Lions, leaving us in Position to take Warmack/Cooper/Best DE Left at 12. And if we got a 2nd and 3rd out of it it would be hard to turn down with the Holes we have. I don't know if id rather have them take LJ at 5 or trade down, but wouldn't be disappointed by either option.

I do think all 3 LTs are gone by 5-7 though.

April 23rd, 2013, 6:57 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
League MVP

BillySims wrote:
If this is true, It makes me wonder if they are content to go with Reiff at LT and trade down to draft Fluker to play RT?

Quote:

Uncertainty reigns supreme when it comes to the NFL draft and 2013 is quickly proving to be no exception to the rule. Expect the unexpected, unless you’re expecting to witness multiple teams wheeling and dealing in the first round. In that case, you can go ahead and expect the expected.

Howie RosemanHowie Roseman and the Philadelphia Eagles are one of five teams looking to move back in the first round.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that five teams who are currently located within the first twelve selections are looking to trade down. Schefter names the Philadelphia Eagles (No. 4), Detroit Lions (No. 5), Cleveland Browns (No. 6), Buffalo Bills (No. 8) and Miami Dolphins (No. 12) as parties interested in sliding down from their assigned positions.

Here’s where it gets even more interesting. We already know that the Atlanta Falcons and San Francisco 49ers have a desire to move up in the draft, but Schefter goes on to name the Dolphins as another organization looking to climb the ladder. That means Miami is working the phones with an interest in moving in either direction.

In the face of all this unpredictability, one thing does emerge as a certain: Mock drafters are going to have a hell of a time tying to nail 10+ correct picks on Thursday.

It means the team is confused. Last season they drafted someone to supposedly be there LT of the future but played him at H back. I have no problem with it at the beginning of the season but this team started out at 4-8 and ended at 4-12. Reiff started only 1 game at a real position. The team did not retain Gosder Cherilus - a decision I am 100% certain that they knew they would make at some point towards the end of the season - and also knew that Backus' career was winding down. The Lions got a very minimal assessment of not just Reiff but also Jason Fox and Corey Hilliard. Hilliard at least has some PT in the past and seems like at minimum a decent stop gap. The same mistakes were made at multiple spots on the defense.

Next this team entered the offseason with minimal wiggle room under the salary cap but many positions losing starters: RT Cherilus, RG Peterman, potential No 2 WRs either cut or injured, potential No 3 WRs injured, RB Best likely done, DE Avril, DE VandenBosch, OLB Durant, OLB Levy, no No 2 CB, CB Houston, S Spievey, S Delmas and LT Backus retired shortly after. Mind you the team with most of those players finished only 4-12. The Lions managed to cleverly develop some space under the salary cap but then spent that money quite unwisely. They were quick to act in FA but failed to let the market develop much. Rather than making some simple upgrades at multiple positions the Lions went for homeruns with Reggie Bush at RB, Glover Quinn at S, and Chris Houston at CB. Houston's contract stands out to me as the most egregious error with many other CBs of similar quality to Houston received much less money and shorter contracts. They let Avril walk at a discounted price (not completely there fault but still a loss of there youngest and highest quality free agent). They retained the completely unreliable Amari Spievey and Louis Delmas, giving Delmas a hefty contract. At DE, they signed a player best suited to play DT. They let Justin Durant leave for 2yrs/$2.4 million a year but re-signed Deandre Levy for $3.5 million/season - they ve watched both these guys playing on the same field against the same opponents for the last two seasons, I dont understand how they could deem Levy the better player let alone to pay him more in one season than what Durant will get for two. At that point - the Lions ran out of money/cap space but still have holes in the roster. A team that relies on the pass rush has no starting caliber DEs, they dont have a starting caliber OLB, they still need a No 1 CB and a nickel corner, they also need a rotational player at DT, starter at RG, RT, and LT, starter at No 2 WR and they maybe will also need better options at both Kicker and Punter.

Trading back to me means, the Lions ran out of resources to restock the roster, and they are trying to do in the draft what they maybe should have also done in the free agency period. That is to trade some high end quality in exchange for value and a little bit more quantity.

IMO, ownership should have taken a look at what this offseason was going to entail and realized not only the number of decisions they would need Mayhew to make but also look at the offseason from Mayhew's perspective. Mayhew IMO cannot afford to look at this as a 2 year project - he needs to put together a team that can win this season. However, if Mayhew were not the Lions GM but an outsider to the organization he would probably have more of a 2 year view given the cap situation and lack of reliable players at multiple positions on the team. Im sure Mayhew likes his job, so rather than doing the right thing for the organization and taking the 2 year approach which might cost him his job, Mayhew decides to swing for the fences and gives this team its best shot at winning in 2013. Now he needs to land as many immediate starters as possible to fill the remaining holes. He needs probably 5 picks in the first 3 rounds to have a chance to accomplish that.

April 23rd, 2013, 9:36 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

The Legend wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Quote:

It means the team is confused. Last season they drafted someone to supposedly be there LT of the future but played him at H back. I have no problem with it at the beginning of the season but this team started out at 4-8 and ended at 4-12. Reiff started only 1 game at a real position. The team did not retain Gosder Cherilus - a decision I am 100% certain that they knew they would make at some point towards the end of the season - and also knew that Backus' career was winding down. The Lions got a very minimal assessment of not just Reiff but also Jason Fox and Corey Hilliard. Hilliard at least has some PT in the past and seems like at minimum a decent stop gap. The same mistakes were made at multiple spots on the defense.

Next this team entered the offseason with minimal wiggle room under the salary cap but many positions losing starters: RT Cherilus, RG Peterman, potential No 2 WRs either cut or injured, potential No 3 WRs injured, RB Best likely done, DE Avril, DE VandenBosch, OLB Durant, OLB Levy, no No 2 CB, CB Houston, S Spievey, S Delmas and LT Backus retired shortly after. Mind you the team with most of those players finished only 4-12. The Lions managed to cleverly develop some space under the salary cap but then spent that money quite unwisely. They were quick to act in FA but failed to let the market develop much. Rather than making some simple upgrades at multiple positions the Lions went for homeruns with Reggie Bush at RB, Glover Quinn at S, and Chris Houston at CB. Houston's contract stands out to me as the most egregious error with many other CBs of similar quality to Houston received much less money and shorter contracts. They let Avril walk at a discounted price (not completely there fault but still a loss of there youngest and highest quality free agent). They retained the completely unreliable Amari Spievey and Louis Delmas, giving Delmas a hefty contract. At DE, they signed a player best suited to play DT. They let Justin Durant leave for 2yrs/$2.4 million a year but re-signed Deandre Levy for $3.5 million/season - they ve watched both these guys playing on the same field against the same opponents for the last two seasons, I dont understand how they could deem Levy the better player let alone to pay him more in one season than what Durant will get for two. At that point - the Lions ran out of money/cap space but still have holes in the roster. A team that relies on the pass rush has no starting caliber DEs, they dont have a starting caliber OLB, they still need a No 1 CB and a nickel corner, they also need a rotational player at DT, starter at RG, RT, and LT, starter at No 2 WR and they maybe will also need better options at both Kicker and Punter.

Trading back to me means, the Lions ran out of resources to restock the roster, and they are trying to do in the draft what they maybe should have also done in the free agency period. That is to trade some high end quality in exchange for value and a little bit more quantity.

IMO, ownership should have taken a look at what this offseason was going to entail and realized not only the number of decisions they would need Mayhew to make but also look at the offseason from Mayhew's perspective. Mayhew IMO cannot afford to look at this as a 2 year project - he needs to put together a team that can win this season. However, if Mayhew were not the Lions GM but an outsider to the organization he would probably have more of a 2 year view given the cap situation and lack of reliable players at multiple positions on the team. Im sure Mayhew likes his job, so rather than doing the right thing for the organization and taking the 2 year approach which might cost him his job, Mayhew decides to swing for the fences and gives this team its best shot at winning in 2013. Now he needs to land as many immediate starters as possible to fill the remaining holes. He needs probably 5 picks in the first 3 rounds to have a chance to accomplish that.

Man, the negativity is soul crushing. Can't we just sit back and enjoy our Super Bowl (the draft)? :D

April 23rd, 2013, 9:43 pm
The Legend wrote:

I agree with you completely. This is basically a compilation of everything I've been stating all year last year. I couldn't stress enough how important the 2012 offseason was, and it looks like it was in fact as crucial to this organization as I said it would be.

tlb's, it's not "negativity," it's reality.

April 23rd, 2013, 10:18 pm
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Quote:

Jason Jones is a starting quality DE, maybe not a top level pass rusher at DE, but a good overall DE/DT that can handle starting. The definitely need to sign a starting quality pass rusher, but with how poor the market was this year they really need to find one in the draft or sign one of the vets once their price comes down.

The Lions didn't stop adding player because they are out of money, they stopped because there are just vets waiting around in free agency now and they all want to still be paid a high salary.

The resigning of Houston was not only a necessity since he is the only CB with real experience in their system, but also probably their best option. I'm still not sure who were the better options to sign at DB in free agency. I would have liked for them to sign Cason, but he's not a #1CB and he turned down a bigger offer from the Jags to go to Arizona so I don't think he would have signed with DET either. I also remember Hixon laughing at the idea of playing for Schwartz, so I would say DET doesn't have the option to sign just anybody.

April 23rd, 2013, 10:57 pm
Jason Jones has never, in his life, put up more than 5 sacks per season.

How he is claimed to be a "starting caliber DE," while Lawrence Jackson is not, when Jackson has had a 6 sack season, while not starting, is beyond me.

April 23rd, 2013, 11:00 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Jason Jones has never, in his life, put up more than 5 sacks per season.

How he is claimed to be a "starting caliber DE," while Lawrence Jackson is not, when Jackson has had a 6 sack season, while not starting, is beyond me.

Jason Jones played a good chunk of his career on the inside where players often get less chances for sacks. He was able to actually hold a starting position for 2 years out of his career. I'd also add he does really well with getting his hands up to deflect passes which Lojack does not.

April 23rd, 2013, 11:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]