View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 20th, 2014, 12:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Drafting Eric Fisher 
Veteran General Manager

Post Re: Drafting Eric Fisher
kdsberman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Fisher would be a huge acquisition - assuming he s as good as everyone says (i havent really seen him play). Reiff did not show the ability to pass block last preseason or in the game he started while Stafford doesnt do a great job of feeling pressure or escaping the pocket when pressure is present. Reiff did look like a decent run blocker however and that could upgrade either the RT or RG spots.

Dont forget it takes 2-3 years for Linemen to really "get" playing in the pros. Its WAY too early to write off Reiff. Just like any of the 3 Tackles in this years draft are GOING to struggle their first year. Patience my friend. Reiff may still be a very solid player LT...it's too early to tell. (though personally I want Fisher at LT and move Reiff to RT)

IMO this is mostly incorrect when you are talking Rd 1 OL. Some Bust, Some Don't, very few are bad for multiple years while they learn and then suddenly become good.

I Don't think Reiff is a write off, but I also don't think hell ever be a top 10 LT (and that's what we want for Staffs backside since he IS the franchise for the next 5+ years min) , and he could probably be a very solid RT or even exceptional OG. I think taking Fisher or Joeckel at 5 or Johnson after a small trade down (7-10) is a No brainer if we want Stafford to have the best chance to not only survive but also become all he can be.

This.

Most years, this board can mostly agree on who the Lions should target in the draft, and I always say I hope Mayhew feels the same. But this year I mean it the most. I dont know know how Mayhew can think otherwise. For Stafford to succeed, and this offense in general, one of those 3 tackles NEEDS to be drafted by Detroit. We simply do not have a solid LT on our roster.

Saying we HAVE to take a tackle makes me nervous--reminds me of 2009 when you supposedly had all these great tackles to choose from and they all turned out to be busts/underwhelming.

Im no Mike Mayock, but I hated the tackles in the 2009 draft class at the time.

Me too. It was obvious to me that every one of them were vastly over rated.

April 6th, 2013, 10:41 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

BillySims wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:
My problem with all the Fisher love is that all most nobody on here has actually seen him except maybe the MSU game and Senior Bowl practices. The Senior Bowl practices don't excite me as they are one on one battles which means the O-lineman doesn't have to worry about stunts or blitzes. As far as the little game footage I've seen he just doesn't pop out as a "wow" guy. To me he looks like a good LT with upside but right now I see Backus and I don't think anybody would be excited using a #5 pick on the next Backus. Fisher has made that post season rise up boards like Smith did a few years back and now he's struggling to hold a roster spot in he league. Don't get me wrong whether he ends up a Lion or on another team I hope he ends up being All-Pro just like I do for any young player with a dream to play in the NFL. Out of e three top LTs I actually think Johnson will be the best fit for the Lion's offense and their passing game. As I said earlier I haven't seen enough of Fisher and Joeckel scares me a little coming from an offense that had QBs that scrambled around a lot and had a lot of roll outs. That makes me wonder how good he will be protecting a pocket passer in three or more WR sets. I'm not sure any of them really excite me at #5, but they are in need of O-line help and even being skeptical I wouldn't be depressed with any of them at #5.

I agree with the bolded part. It is 1 reason I would not object, if Joekel and Fisher are gone at 5, if we took Johnson. The other, I just feel it in my bones, Johnson is going to prove to be the best of the 3.

I may be wrong here but while Smith and Fisher were both late risers in the process, it was for exactly the opposite reasons. In fact, Smiths rise was much closer to Johnsons late rise, in that it was based on his Workouts and Athletic ability and future potential... Whereas Fisher is seen as a quality Technician and not an athletic specimen and was articifially low because of his playing against MAC Competition. It wasnt until people individually coached him and watched him Manhandle some of the best players in the draft at the senior bowl that he started to rise. He reminds me a lot more of Eugene Monroe who has worked out quite Nicely, whereas Lane (while I like him and wouldnt be dissapointed with him at 5 thought would prefer him at 7-10 if hes the choice) is the 1 who would more likelly parallel to Smith.

On a Side note, does anyone think it might be worth taking a stab at Atlantas Clabo. I know hes an RT but considered top 10 and ATL had to let him go for Cap reasons.

April 6th, 2013, 12:18 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

Let me add something about Fisher. As it turns out, I know his grandfather very well, and I had a discussion with him yesterday about his grandson. Eric Fisher picked CMU over a host of Big Ten and other schools because he knew he could play right away for the Chips. Also, the head coach at CMU is friends with Jim Schwartz, and Fisher would LOVE to be a Lion. It's what he is hoping for. That said, it's not like Fisher was an unknown amongst college and NFL scouts when he left high school. His rise in the standings among NFL prospects is because of his combination of size/speed, technique and athletic ability. The only shortcoming he has is that he didn't see as much high level competition as Joeckel or Johnson. But when he did face them, he fared pretty well. Mayock feels that Fisher offers the best combination of ready to play now, with upside to improve to top level NFL status. You can't dismiss how well a player does at the Senior Bowl practices. There are a ton of NFL scouts who rely on that four days of practice to evaluate these guys based on what they do, how they take coaching, and what improvements they make based on that coaching.

I don't take everything Mayock has to say to heart, so don't get me wrong I am not saying his word is gospel. But there's been many a player who was panned for not facing top level competition, but has done pretty darn well in the NFL. DeMarcus Ware? Jerry Rice? Those names ring a bell?

April 22nd, 2013, 10:09 am
Team MVP

Well its looking like if the Lions really want Fisher they are going to have to trade up, cuz rumor has it Jacksonville really wants him. Then again, they could be saying this in hopes of getting a trade. I dont see how they can go anything but pass rusher, but who knows.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 22nd, 2013, 7:00 pm
Butkus Award Winner

kdsberman wrote:
Well its looking like if the Lions really want Fisher they are going to have to trade up, cuz rumor has it Jacksonville really wants him. Then again, they could be saying this in hopes of getting a trade. I dont see how they can go anything but pass rusher, but who knows.

IMO their current LT, Eugene Monroe, is the most underrated LT in the league, so I'd be stunned if they were dumb enough to take Fisher. Even Geno would be a better pick. I think they definitely go defense.

April 22nd, 2013, 7:35 pm

Well Monroe will be a FA next year I believe so instead of dealing with trying to re-sign him they could take one the "Top 5" players instead of reaching for a pass rusher or a QB. That way they could get a franchise LT at a lower price tag and go after an EJ Manuel at the top of the 2nd round.

April 22nd, 2013, 7:48 pm
sweetd20 wrote:
Well Monroe will be a FA next year I believe so instead of dealing with trying to re-sign him they could take one the "Top 5" players instead of reaching for a pass rusher or a QB. That way they could get a franchise LT at a lower price tag and go after an EJ Manuel at the top of the 2nd round.

That's akin to us taking a DT at #5 overall so we don't have to pay Suh... How well did that idea fly? If you want to get better, you have to get better, period. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to take a player because you'd have to take a player at that position in the following draft.

April 22nd, 2013, 7:56 pm

There is a huge difference in the importance of LT versus DT and the Jags aren't financially locked and their hands tied concerning Monroe like the Lions are with Suh. The Jags also have nothing at RT so they could go into camp with Fisher and Monroe battling for the LT and they could tag Monroe next season and try to work out a deal, look to find a team interested, or just let him walk. The point is there isn't much "Top 5" talent this year and both the QB and DE positions aren't really in that category this season. I no everybody wants to shoot down every scenario that Fisher will be gone before Detroit's pick but at this point not only might Fisher and Joeckel be gone but Johnson might be gone as well. I think the only chance the Lions have at getting Fisher or Joeckel if a team likes Fisher more is for the Jags to reach for Jordan or Smith and the Chiefs to trade out of the first five picks.

April 22nd, 2013, 8:41 pm
Walk On

sweetd20 wrote:

Then why not trade Munroe a way like Jets did Revis and get something for him now from these starved teams looking for a good LT. Instead of dealing with resigning him next year and watching him walk away. Because there's no guarantee's there's a quality LT or they're in the position to draft one. So cut your losses get something for Munroe and draft Fisher.

April 23rd, 2013, 12:09 am
Veteran General Manager

m2karateman wrote:
Let me add something about Fisher. As it turns out, I know his grandfather very well, and I had a discussion with him yesterday about his grandson. Eric Fisher picked CMU over a host of Big Ten and other schools because he knew he could play right away for the Chips. Also, the head coach at CMU is friends with Jim Schwartz, and Fisher would LOVE to be a Lion. It's what he is hoping for. That said, it's not like Fisher was an unknown amongst college and NFL scouts when he left high school. His rise in the standings among NFL prospects is because of his combination of size/speed, technique and athletic ability. The only shortcoming he has is that he didn't see as much high level competition as Joeckel or Johnson. But when he did face them, he fared pretty well. Mayock feels that Fisher offers the best combination of ready to play now, with upside to improve to top level NFL status. You can't dismiss how well a player does at the Senior Bowl practices. There are a ton of NFL scouts who rely on that four days of practice to evaluate these guys based on what they do, how they take coaching, and what improvements they make based on that coaching.

I don't take everything Mayock has to say to heart, so don't get me wrong I am not saying his word is gospel. But there's been many a player who was panned for not facing top level competition, but has done pretty darn well in the NFL. DeMarcus Ware? Jerry Rice? Those names ring a bell?

Either Eric or his Grandpa is full of crap. Eric was on Sirius/XM today. He was asked why he went to CMU. He said he was a late bloomer in high school and no Big 10 team would give him a scholarship. CMU took a chance on him and gave him a scholarship. So, that's where he went.

April 23rd, 2013, 1:24 am
Team MVP

Seen multiple reports that the Raiders and Lions looking to swap picks if one of the two tackles are on board at #3. Im all for it.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 24th, 2013, 8:48 pm
kdsberman wrote:
Seen multiple reports that the Raiders and Lions looking to swap picks if one of the two tackles are on board at #3. Im all for it.

Depending on how "sure' they are on him, I'd do it. If they're convinced that he's our baller LT for the next 10 years, and can start immediately, I'd do it for sure. Even giving up a 2nd is worth it at that point.

April 24th, 2013, 9:30 pm
Veteran General Manager

kdsberman wrote:

I'm not. That trade would cost us either our 2nd or 3rd round pick. We need every one of those.

I would be alright with it if it only cost us our 5th this year and our 3rd next year.

April 24th, 2013, 9:34 pm
NFL Veteran

BillySims wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

I'm not. That trade would cost us either our 2nd or 3rd round pick. We need every one of those.

I would be alright with it if it only cost us our 5th this year and our 3rd next year.

I wouldn't give up the second, but a 3rd is a small price to pay to ensure you have a franchise LT. Hell, most years it seems like the Lions only draft in the first 2 rounds anyways and they can always try to trade back into the 3rd if they really want someone.

April 24th, 2013, 9:50 pm
Veteran General Manager

rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

I wouldn't give up the second, but a 3rd is a small price to pay to ensure you have a franchise LT. Hell, most years it seems like the Lions only draft in the first 2 rounds anyways and they can always try to trade back into the 3rd if they really want someone.

We only have an untradeable comp pick in the 4th round. No-one will trade a 3rd round pick for our 5th + whatever else. If we can trade back into the 3rd round, you can bet your butt that it would be with a team that has multiple 3rds and it would cost our 2nd next year.

April 24th, 2013, 10:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next