View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 2:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Drafting Eric Fisher 
NFL Veteran

Post Re: Drafting Eric Fisher
BillySims wrote:
rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Seen multiple reports that the Raiders and Lions looking to swap picks if one of the two tackles are on board at #3. Im all for it.

I'm not. That trade would cost us either our 2nd or 3rd round pick. We need every one of those.

I would be alright with it if it only cost us our 5th this year and our 3rd next year.

I wouldn't give up the second, but a 3rd is a small price to pay to ensure you have a franchise LT. Hell, most years it seems like the Lions only draft in the first 2 rounds anyways and they can always try to trade back into the 3rd if they really want someone.

We only have an untradeable comp pick in the 4th round. No-one will trade a 3rd round pick for our 5th + whatever else. If we can trade back into the 3rd round, you can bet your butt that it would be with a team that has multiple 3rds and it would cost our 2nd next year.

Probably would cost next years second, but if you think the guy is a starter who cares if you don't have a second next year. Next years draft doesn't save your job.

April 24th, 2013, 10:08 pm
Hall of Fame Player

rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Seen multiple reports that the Raiders and Lions looking to swap picks if one of the two tackles are on board at #3. Im all for it.

I'm not. That trade would cost us either our 2nd or 3rd round pick. We need every one of those.

I would be alright with it if it only cost us our 5th this year and our 3rd next year.

I wouldn't give up the second, but a 3rd is a small price to pay to ensure you have a franchise LT. Hell, most years it seems like the Lions only draft in the first 2 rounds anyways and they can always try to trade back into the 3rd if they really want someone.

We only have an untradeable comp pick in the 4th round. No-one will trade a 3rd round pick for our 5th + whatever else. If we can trade back into the 3rd round, you can bet your butt that it would be with a team that has multiple 3rds and it would cost our 2nd next year.

Probably would cost next years second, but if you think the guy is a starter who cares if you don't have a second next year. Next years draft doesn't save your job.

I don't work for the Lions. I don't need my job saved. But, trading away a 2nd for a 3rd round pick is only acceptable when other teams are doing it for our 3rd. LOL.

April 24th, 2013, 10:19 pm
QB Coach

I think it's a terrible idea to give up a 2nd round pick to move up, regardless of what year it's from. There was a good article on Grantland a few days ago talking about this exact thing:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/58704/avoiding-dumb-mistakes-at-the-nfl-draft

Basically, the article shows several of the dumb mistakes that teams make in the draft, 1 of which is the 2 for 1 (2nd rounder for a first rounder) deal. It rarely ever works out for the team who trades up and is generally not a good idea.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

April 24th, 2013, 10:35 pm
I will say that I think it's dumb to trade a next years' X round draft pick, for this years X+1 round draft pick. I don't like that trade.

That said, IF Fisher is really that much better than Johnson or the rest of the draft class, I don't have a problem with making a trade to get "your guy." Look at the Hutchinson draft, if the Lions had traded up to get Hutch, who was our target, and gave up our second round pick that year (It wouldn't have cost that much, but just suppose it did) we would have been much better off. You could even throw in some 2002 draft picks to that equation and it would still have benefitted the team. May have even kept Barry around and led us to a Super Bowl.

April 24th, 2013, 10:47 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I will say that I think it's dumb to trade a next years' X round draft pick, for this years X+1 round draft pick. I don't like that trade.

That said, IF Fisher is really that much better than Johnson or the rest of the draft class, I don't have a problem with making a trade to get "your guy." Look at the Hutchinson draft, if the Lions had traded up to get Hutch, who was our target, and gave up our second round pick that year (It wouldn't have cost that much, but just suppose it did) we would have been much better off. You could even throw in some 2002 draft picks to that equation and it would still have benefitted the team. May have even kept Barry around and led us to a Super Bowl.

If were had fewer holes to fill or a bunch of extra draft picks hanging around, I'd agree with you, but we need solid starters out of our 2nd and 3rd round picks. Fisher is very good, but I'm not convinced he isn't simply the best of a mediocre bunch. My current inclination is stay where we're at and get a top guard or trade down and grab a guard or somebody like Werner.

April 25th, 2013, 6:55 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

If were had fewer holes to fill or a bunch of extra draft picks hanging around, I'd agree with you, but we need solid starters out of our 2nd and 3rd round picks. Fisher is very good, but I'm not convinced he isn't simply the best of a mediocre bunch. My current inclination is stay where we're at and get a top guard or trade down and grab a guard or somebody like Werner.

Agree. Fisher has been my #1 for some time. Is he considerably better than Joeckel or Johnson? Probably not. Think they all could develop into fine Pro's, but I'm not in favor of trading up. If we were one player away, and the prospect was a can't miss, then that might make sense. But to me, we're no where near that point.

April 25th, 2013, 7:55 am
Rookie Player of the Year

Unless he turns out to be in the Munoz and Pace class of OTs trading up would be a huge mistake. If he is there at #5 take him but I'm not sure he will even be there at the Raiders' pick. I'm also still a little tentative about his awesomeness when he wasn't even a first team All-Mac coming into the 2012 season.

April 25th, 2013, 8:22 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Let me add something about Fisher. As it turns out, I know his grandfather very well, and I had a discussion with him yesterday about his grandson. Eric Fisher picked CMU over a host of Big Ten and other schools because he knew he could play right away for the Chips. Also, the head coach at CMU is friends with Jim Schwartz, and Fisher would LOVE to be a Lion. It's what he is hoping for. That said, it's not like Fisher was an unknown amongst college and NFL scouts when he left high school. His rise in the standings among NFL prospects is because of his combination of size/speed, technique and athletic ability. The only shortcoming he has is that he didn't see as much high level competition as Joeckel or Johnson. But when he did face them, he fared pretty well. Mayock feels that Fisher offers the best combination of ready to play now, with upside to improve to top level NFL status. You can't dismiss how well a player does at the Senior Bowl practices. There are a ton of NFL scouts who rely on that four days of practice to evaluate these guys based on what they do, how they take coaching, and what improvements they make based on that coaching.

I don't take everything Mayock has to say to heart, so don't get me wrong I am not saying his word is gospel. But there's been many a player who was panned for not facing top level competition, but has done pretty darn well in the NFL. DeMarcus Ware? Jerry Rice? Those names ring a bell?

Either Eric or his Grandpa is full of crap. Eric was on Sirius/XM today. He was asked why he went to CMU. He said he was a late bloomer in high school and no Big 10 team would give him a scholarship. CMU took a chance on him and gave him a scholarship. So, that's where he went.

You misinterpreted what I said. I didn't say the Big Ten schools offered him a scholarship. Eastern Michigan was the first to offer him a scholarship, then Western and Central did. Several Big Ten schools had him work out for them, and they showed interest but were not willing to give him a full ride scholarship.

April 25th, 2013, 11:00 am

kdsberman wrote:

My Post from Gameday Thread:

DJ-B wrote:
Our Only Move UP option IMO would be to trade Pettigrew to the Raiders. They had weak TEs last year, and let their #1 walk away. They currently don't have a starting TE on the roster, and that move could make sense for both teams. I don't know if I'd also be willing to part with a Pick though, and then wed have to replace Pett, although there are a few good TEs in the draft and If we got a real WR#2 we can use Heller for Blocking and Scheff for Catching. Its not like Pett has been great at either (hes ok at both imo).

I could see Pett plus 5-4 or a 4th next year. Not sure id give up more than that, but I would make the Swap if Fisher is there @ #3.

April 25th, 2013, 11:29 am
Profile ICQ WWW
DJ-B wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

My Post from Gameday Thread:

DJ-B wrote:
Our Only Move UP option IMO would be to trade Pettigrew to the Raiders. They had weak TEs last year, and let their #1 walk away. They currently don't have a starting TE on the roster, and that move could make sense for both teams. I don't know if I'd also be willing to part with a Pick though, and then wed have to replace Pett, although there are a few good TEs in the draft and If we got a real WR#2 we can use Heller for Blocking and Scheff for Catching. Its not like Pett has been great at either (hes ok at both imo).

I could see Pett plus 5-4 or a 4th next year. Not sure id give up more than that, but I would make the Swap if Fisher is there @ #3.

I'd do that in a minute. I'd love to get rid of Pett.

April 25th, 2013, 1:57 pm
3rd Round Selection

I don't see Pett as all that, but he's our only viable starter at TE (IMO, TE by committee between Heller and Scheffler simply wouldn't work - we'd be telegraphing whether it was pass or run every play). I don't think the value of the top 3 OTs is that much higher than other players available at pick 5 to make it worthwhile opening another hole on our roster. We have more holes that we can likely fill with the picks we have as it is. I'm not so sold on the need to get an OT in this draft (vs, say, a DE or OG) that it'd be worthwhile making that situation worse.

April 25th, 2013, 2:19 pm
UK Lion wrote:
I don't see Pett as all that, but he's our only viable starter at TE (IMO, TE by committee between Heller and Scheffler simply wouldn't work - we'd be telegraphing whether it was pass or run every play). I don't think the value of the top 3 OTs is that much higher than other players available at pick 5 to make it worthwhile opening another hole on our roster. We have more holes that we can likely fill with the picks we have as it is. I'm not so sold on the need to get an OT in this draft (vs, say, a DE or OG) that it'd be worthwhile making that situation worse.

I disagree with you completely. We run from a Two TE set, and we run from a no TE set (3 WRs). I don't see how losing Pett kills our offense, especially given that we would probably draft a rookie to replace him.

April 25th, 2013, 2:21 pm
3rd Round Selection

If we draft one, no it doesn't kill our offense. But we have to use a pick on a position we wouldn't previously.

Do you think all 3 OTs will go in picks 1 to 4? Do you think the value between either: (a) the worst of those 3 and the 2nd best (if they don't all go) or the 2nd best, or (b) (say) Ansah or Warmack; is so large as to justify losing a starting caliber player? Maybe he's an average to below average starter, but I don't see the need to open up another hole on an already swiss cheese team. If it got us more high picks to fill those holes, sure. But just to move up a couple of spots? I'm not convinced.

April 25th, 2013, 2:27 pm

IF they want the OT, and need to trade up tog et him, the alternative is giving up our 2nd or at min our 3rd rd pick. The Pett option gets rid of someone we have to replace next year anyways and gets value for him now (Think Cliff Avril Fiasco) AND keeps that 2nd-3rd pick for a different position to be filled (or even a quality TE if 1 drops.)

April 25th, 2013, 2:51 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
UK Lion wrote:
If we draft one, no it doesn't kill our offense. But we have to use a pick on a position we wouldn't previously.

Do you think all 3 OTs will go in picks 1 to 4? Do you think the value between either: (a) the worst of those 3 and the 2nd best (if they don't all go) or the 2nd best, or (b) (say) Ansah or Warmack; is so large as to justify losing a starting caliber player? Maybe he's an average to below average starter, but I don't see the need to open up another hole on an already swiss cheese team. If it got us more high picks to fill those holes, sure. But just to move up a couple of spots? I'm not convinced.

I don't see it the way you do. IMO Pett is a lockerroom cancer, and a "don't care" guy. He's a collect your paycheck and leave guy. He drops way too many balls, his demeanor disgusts me, and I can't stand how he laughs after a drop. He's not clutch, he doesn't come through when it counts, and I would rather not have him on the field.

Further, he's going to be a FA soon, and if we keep using him as an integral part of our offense, his stats are going to dictate a $4.5M + per year salary. He's not worth it.

April 25th, 2013, 3:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next