View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 20th, 2014, 2:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Who do you like for the second round Lions pick? 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Who do you like for the second round Lions pick?
I'd take Warford unless a team wants to trade.

NEVER GIVE UP!

April 26th, 2013, 9:48 am
QB Coach

TheRealWags wrote:
Trade to KC for Brandon Albert...

Couldn't fit him under the cap.

April 26th, 2013, 9:51 am
Butkus Award Winner

Endless options here, so I say trade down if we can get a 4th for it.

Want a DE? Damontre Moore, Okafor, Carradine, or maybe even Margus Hunt
WRs: justin hunter, Robert woods, Keenan Allen
CB: Jamar Taylor, Banks, Alford, Amerson
OLB: Arthur Brown
Guard: Warford

April 26th, 2013, 9:54 am
RIP Killer

liontrax wrote:
m2k, who do you like?

In this order, if they remain with the 36th pick, I would like to see the Lions select:

1. CB Jamar Taylor
I know, another Boise State player. But they aren't all like Titus Young. Taylor received first round grades from more than a few scouts and analysts, and despite the plethora of corners selected last year by Mayhew, he is better than all of them. Bentley should be a nickel corner, Jonte Green should stick to special teams, and Greenwood still needs development. Taylor can step in and start immediately.

2. DE - Cornelius Carradine
We still need another pass rusher, and Carradine is a first round talent. I am not big on taking injured players, but if he recovery is going as well as what I've heard, he'd be a great addition.

3. WR - Justin Hunter
I think he'll be a better pro than Patterson. Big and fast, he can stretch the field just like the Lions want out of their #2 wideout. I am not in favor of using yet another second round pick on a wideout, but this guy is more suited to the #2 spot than Young or Broyles ever were.

4. SS - Johnathan Cyprien

Personally, I don't see Delmas as being reliable, and think the Lions have to go long term at the position. He is better than any CB still available, and would help secure the secondary. Small school guy, but is all over the field if you watch any of his tape. Not an area of great need, I understand. But talent is talent.

5. OT - Menelik Watson
If the Lions want an offensive tackle, this is the only guy worth it at that spot, and even then I think he's a reach. He's extremely raw, and will need some development time. He's a boom or bust player. But at this point it seems offensive linemen should be rated at least half a round higher than normal, so maybe he's worth the pick.

6. LB - Arthur Brown
Fills a need, but I wish he were a bit bigger. He has great athletic skills, and would compete with Levy for the weakside spot. I don't see him as a strong side guy. That being the case, don't expect the Lions to take him. With Levy being signed to a new deal, they sealed the fate of the weakside, sad to say.

My preference, more than anything else, is that the Lions trade down from their pick and gain some additional selections in the third or fourth rounds. I like the value of the players that could be sitting there. Of course, that's what I wanted Mayhew to do in the first round after Lane Johnson came off the board and there were no more tackles. I am not real excited with our pick. However, Oakland kind of skewed the draft pick trade values by accepting only a second round pick in exchange for moving back from 3 to 12 with Miami.

Personally, I see the second round going like this:

33. Jacksonville - DE Tank Carradine
34. San Francisco - DT Jesse Williams
35. Philadelphia - QB Geno Smith
36. Detroit - ??

April 26th, 2013, 10:09 am
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
Trade to KC for Brandon Albert...

No. Albert overvalues himself entirely too much, and KC will want a second rounder or more next year for him. I wouldn't give our second this year for him, unless he lowered his demands and KC gave us a third rounder in return. I think his attitude sucks.

April 26th, 2013, 10:11 am
RIP Killer

Shotty wrote:
Endless options here, so I say trade down if we can get a 4th for it.

Want a DE? Damontre Moore, Okafor, Carradine, or maybe even Margus Hunt
WRs: justin hunter, Robert woods, Keenan Allen
CB: Jamar Taylor, Banks, Alford, Amerson
OLB: Arthur Brown
Guard: Warford

I have absolutely no interest in the Lions taking Damontre Moore. He is another Titus Young. I'd take Hunt, Okafor, or Montgomery ahead of him in a second.

April 26th, 2013, 10:12 am
League MVP

i think we need another DE and IMO this 2nd round pick would have been the best place to take one, where its still a gamble but at least its a more proven player and also later in the draft. I think Cornelius Washington in the 3rd round would be a great fit to fill the other DE spot but he d need to be on a team where they actually develop young players and know how to keep them out of trouble. He looks like the prototype of a young Cliff Avril but Im skeptical it could work in Detroit. Maybe they could grab Alex Okafor there instead. That said I like Tank Carradine and Damontre Moore if they are looking for a DE, I dont believe in Monelik Watson and dont know enought about Teron Armstead at OT, the Lions might want to take a long look at Darius Slay in addition to the corner candidates that m2k listed. I dont see the Lions going safety here with the Quinn, Delmas, and Spievey signings. Nothing in Mayhew's history suggests this pick could be a guard. I see this pick being Justin Hunter, WR, as Mayhew like Millen before him is obsessed with the workouts. Hunter cant catch the ball all that well and lacks polish. I think Keenan Allen would be a better pick at WR though Hunter will look better on paper to Mayhew.

If it was my choice I would probably take Tank Carradine, Keenan Allen and if they are gone I d go with a corner I like Darius Slay the most but I also like Logan Ryan (supposedly 3rd rd value) and Jamar Taylor from Boise.

April 26th, 2013, 10:40 am
Butkus Award Winner

The Legend wrote:
i think we need another DE and IMO this 2nd round pick would have been the best place to take one, where its still a gamble but at least its a more proven player and also later in the draft. I think Cornelius Washington in the 3rd round would be a great fit to fill the other DE spot but he d need to be on a team where they actually develop young players and know how to keep them out of trouble. He looks like the prototype of a young Cliff Avril but Im skeptical it could work in Detroit. Maybe they could grab Alex Okafor there instead. That said I like Tank Carradine and Damontre Moore if they are looking for a DE, I dont believe in Monelik Watson and dont know enought about Teron Armstead at OT, the Lions might want to take a long look at Darius Slay in addition to the corner candidates that m2k listed. I dont see the Lions going safety here with the Quinn, Delmas, and Spievey signings. Nothing in Mayhew's history suggests this pick could be a guard. I see this pick being Justin Hunter, WR, as Mayhew like Millen before him is obsessed with the workouts. Hunter cant catch the ball all that well and lacks polish. I think Keenan Allen would be a better pick at WR though Hunter will look better on paper to Mayhew.

If it was my choice I would probably take Tank Carradine, Keenan Allen and if they are gone I d go with a corner I like Darius Slay the most but I also like Logan Ryan (supposedly 3rd rd value) and Jamar Taylor from Boise.

Personally I hope we say no to Keenan Allen because he's immature, no to Tank because he has injur concerns, no to Slay because I just don't see much In him from his tape on YouTube, and no to any other players who'll need a mature coach to succeed, because I don't think Schwartz is tha guy yet.

1. Arthur Brown
2. Manti Teo
3. Jamar Taylor
4. Warford
5. Robert Woods

Is my preference. All relatively clean, hard working players who don't take this nfl thing as a joke.

April 26th, 2013, 10:47 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

if we stick to BPA, if he's available, doesnt T'eo have to be the pick? no doubts he's solid first round tallent. can he play OLB though?

April 26th, 2013, 10:55 am
Butkus Award Winner

regularjoe12 wrote:
if we stick to BPA, if he's available, doesnt T'eo have to be the pick? no doubts he's solid first round tallent. can he play OLB though?

I think he could. He's a good enough cover LB and tackles well enough to play the weakside until Tulloch is gone. Arthur would be a better fit for right now though IMO

April 26th, 2013, 11:04 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
m2k, who do you like?

In this order, if they remain with the 36th pick, I would like to see the Lions select:

1. CB Jamar Taylor
I know, another Boise State player. But they aren't all like Titus Young. Taylor received first round grades from more than a few scouts and analysts, and despite the plethora of corners selected last year by Mayhew, he is better than all of them. Bentley should be a nickel corner, Jonte Green should stick to special teams, and Greenwood still needs development. Taylor can step in and start immediately.

We still need another pass rusher, and Carradine is a first round talent. I am not big on taking injured players, but if he recovery is going as well as what I've heard, he'd be a great addition.

3. WR - Justin Hunter
I think he'll be a better pro than Patterson. Big and fast, he can stretch the field just like the Lions want out of their #2 wideout. I am not in favor of using yet another second round pick on a wideout, but this guy is more suited to the #2 spot than Young or Broyles ever were.

Personally, I don't see Delmas as being reliable, and think the Lions have to go long term at the position. He is better than any CB still available, and would help secure the secondary. Small school guy, but is all over the field if you watch any of his tape. Not an area of great need, I understand. But talent is talent.

5. OT - Menelik Watson
If the Lions want an offensive tackle, this is the only guy worth it at that spot, and even then I think he's a reach. He's extremely raw, and will need some development time. He's a boom or bust player. But at this point it seems offensive linemen should be rated at least half a round higher than normal, so maybe he's worth the pick.

6. LB - Arthur Brown
Fills a need, but I wish he were a bit bigger. He has great athletic skills, and would compete with Levy for the weakside spot. I don't see him as a strong side guy. That being the case, don't expect the Lions to take him. With Levy being signed to a new deal, they sealed the fate of the weakside, sad to say.

My preference, more than anything else, is that the Lions trade down from their pick and gain some additional selections in the third or fourth rounds. I like the value of the players that could be sitting there. Of course, that's what I wanted Mayhew to do in the first round after Lane Johnson came off the board and there were no more tackles. I am not real excited with our pick. However, Oakland kind of skewed the draft pick trade values by accepting only a second round pick in exchange for moving back from 3 to 12 with Miami.

36. Detroit - ??

Good arguments for all. Now that I've had the chance to sleep on it, if we go BPA, it would have to be Hunter.

April 26th, 2013, 12:01 pm
RIP Killer

regularjoe12 wrote:

If the Lions stick with BPA, then Te'o would get the nod. But I personally don't see him as the answer for us at linebacker. He won't be effective on the outside, as he lacks coverage skills suitable to the strong side player. He's a thumper. Travis Lewis is the current backup at MLB, and I think he is fine in that role, and at being brought in for the nickel and dime packages.

We still have Ashlee Palmer and Tahir Whitehead to battle it out for the strong side, but I would definitely like to see the Lions select a good player to compete with them for that role.

My hopes are that the Lions are able to trade down with a team that wants one of the QBs still there, or who NEEDS a middle backer and have Te'o in their sights. Minnesota is the most obvious team, but they gave up the farm to New England so they could take Patterson. Oakland might be looking to move up and get Te'o, using the #42 pick they got from Miami. If that were the case, I'd take their fourth and sixth rounders for it. Also, if Cyprien falls to us, some team might be interested in jumping ahead of Cinci to grab him.

April 26th, 2013, 12:04 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

If the Lions stick with BPA, then Te'o would get the nod. But I personally don't see him as the answer for us at linebacker. He won't be effective on the outside, as he lacks coverage skills suitable to the strong side player. He's a thumper. Travis Lewis is the current backup at MLB, and I think he is fine in that role, and at being brought in for the nickel and dime packages.

We still have Ashlee Palmer and Tahir Whitehead to battle it out for the strong side, but I would definitely like to see the Lions select a good player to compete with them for that role.

My hopes are that the Lions are able to trade down with a team that wants one of the QBs still there, or who NEEDS a middle backer and have Te'o in their sights. Minnesota is the most obvious team, but they gave up the farm to New England so they could take Patterson. Oakland might be looking to move up and get Te'o, using the #42 pick they got from Miami. If that were the case, I'd take their fourth and sixth rounders for it. Also, if Cyprien falls to us, some team might be interested in jumping ahead of Cinci to grab him.

Disagree about T'eo, think he's a good LB, not special. If the Lions add a backer, I like Sio Moore the best.

April 26th, 2013, 12:18 pm
Walk On

m2karateman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
m2k, who do you like?

1. CB Jamar Taylor

3. WR - Justin Hunter

5. OT - Menelik Watson

6. LB - Arthur Brown

36. Detroit - ??

I was thinking:

33. Jacksonville - Geno Smith
34. San Francisco - Zach Ertz (Harbough gets his guy he recruited and replace Delani Walker)
35. Philadelphia - BPA DT or DE
36. Detroit - Justin Hunter or BPA CB

April 26th, 2013, 12:22 pm
Heisman Winner

Any thoughts on Tyrann Mathieu? I kind of think he could be a steal of a pick but I'm not sure where he ranks among the remaining players available to the Lions.

April 26th, 2013, 12:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next