View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 24th, 2014, 12:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Who do you like for the second round Lions pick? 
NFL Veteran

Post Re: Who do you like for the second round Lions pick?
m2karateman wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
if we stick to BPA, if he's available, doesnt T'eo have to be the pick? no doubts he's solid first round tallent. can he play OLB though?

If the Lions stick with BPA, then Te'o would get the nod. But I personally don't see him as the answer for us at linebacker. He won't be effective on the outside, as he lacks coverage skills suitable to the strong side player. He's a thumper. Travis Lewis is the current backup at MLB, and I think he is fine in that role, and at being brought in for the nickel and dime packages.

We still have Ashlee Palmer and Tahir Whitehead to battle it out for the strong side, but I would definitely like to see the Lions select a good player to compete with them for that role.

My hopes are that the Lions are able to trade down with a team that wants one of the QBs still there, or who NEEDS a middle backer and have Te'o in their sights. Minnesota is the most obvious team, but they gave up the farm to New England so they could take Patterson. Oakland might be looking to move up and get Te'o, using the #42 pick they got from Miami. If that were the case, I'd take their fourth and sixth rounders for it. Also, if Cyprien falls to us, some team might be interested in jumping ahead of Cinci to grab him.

Considering all the MLB needy teams at the end of the first passed on him, I would say confidently he isn't the BPA. Even more so because he plays a filled position for the Lions. Just like how a DT isn't going to be the BPA this early for the Lions, I don't see how a MLB that can't move outside could be BPA.

April 26th, 2013, 12:26 pm
NFL Veteran

aManNamedSuh wrote:
Any thoughts on Tyrann Mathieu? I kind of think he could be a steal of a pick but I'm not sure where he ranks among the remaining players available to the Lions.

He'd be a big reach in the top of the second.

April 26th, 2013, 12:27 pm
Walk On

m2karateman wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
if we stick to BPA, if he's available, doesnt T'eo have to be the pick? no doubts he's solid first round tallent. can he play OLB though?

If the Lions stick with BPA, then Te'o would get the nod. But I personally don't see him as the answer for us at linebacker. He won't be effective on the outside, as he lacks coverage skills suitable to the strong side player. He's a thumper. Travis Lewis is the current backup at MLB, and I think he is fine in that role, and at being brought in for the nickel and dime packages.

We still have Ashlee Palmer and Tahir Whitehead to battle it out for the strong side, but I would definitely like to see the Lions select a good player to compete with them for that role.

My hopes are that the Lions are able to trade down with a team that wants one of the QBs still there, or who NEEDS a middle backer and have Te'o in their sights. Minnesota is the most obvious team, but they gave up the farm to New England so they could take Patterson. Oakland might be looking to move up and get Te'o, using the #42 pick they got from Miami. If that were the case, I'd take their fourth and sixth rounders for it. Also, if Cyprien falls to us, some team might be interested in jumping ahead of Cinci to grab him.

Unfortunately, Buffalo got there's, Jacksonville will take Geno at the top and the other teams will probably stay put with confidence they're guy will fall to them in there spot. We're screwed!!

April 26th, 2013, 12:27 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

rao wrote:
aManNamedSuh wrote:
Any thoughts on Tyrann Mathieu? I kind of think he could be a steal of a pick but I'm not sure where he ranks among the remaining players available to the Lions.

He'd be a big reach in the top of the second.

I wouldn't consider him till the 4th or 5th. Because of his baggage. Other CB's like him that I like better - Robert Alford, or B.W. Webb.

Just read this article at CBSSPORTS.com about Mathieu.

Report: Tyrann Mathieu no-showed meetings with Texans, Seattle
By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer
April 26, 2013 11:56 am ET

For a guy who might get drafted Friday in either the second or third round of the NFL Draft, former LSU cornerback Tyrann Mathieu certainly continues to make his fair share of news. Ands mostly, for the bad.

A few days after he planned a party for Thursday (and then dropped those plans after receiving perhaps unfair criticism that he was billing himself as a first-round draft pick), Mathieu wasn't selected among the first 32 picks.

Now, as we wait to see whether he'll hear his name Friday, Fox Sports' Jay Glazer told the Dan Patrick radio show on Friday morning that Mathieu didn't show up for scheduled meetings with the Texans and Seahawks last week.

Mathieu has spent so much of his time saying he's changed from his destructive college ways, a report like this surely has to be disheartening to those who believe he can be a top pro player if only he got the chance. Reportedly, though, Mathieu was sick for those meetings, so it's hard to know what exactly to make of him.

USA Today's Robert Klemko, though, caught up with Mathieu at a draft party in New York (so, he didn't cancel after all!), and Mathieu reportedly believed he could be drafted by the 49ers at the No. 18 pick after they traded up with the Cowboys. Instead, San Francisco went with former Mathieu teammate, safety Eric Reid.

Then, he watched as the Falcons took former Washington cornerback Desmond Trufant at No. 22, the Vikings took former Florida State cornerback Xavier Rhodes at No. 25 and the Ravens took former Florida safety Matt Elam at No. 32.

After that, Klemko writes, “Mathieu weaved through the remaining crowd and into a black Chevy Suburban parked illegally at the corner. He declined an interview request. His girlfriend, Sydni, clutched his left arm and rested her head on his shoulder. And they were off.”

For now, Mathieu's future remains unclear. Mostly because of his past.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, to me this kid seems like he has an inflated opinion of himself, we just got rid of a player like that.

April 26th, 2013, 12:32 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

@ Albert Trade Idea -- 4-5 Years of Albert at LT for 8-12 Mill/yr vs a Rookie. I could see the value in that, but we don't have the money for it and I feel he thinks hes worth more than he is.

@ Mathieu - Read the recent ESPN the Mag story and you'll realize we should stay away. Here is the Synopsis: Hes a massive Pot addict going back to before college and his fame. Hes been clean (supposedly) since October, despite multiple stints in multiple types of rehab. He has no support structure.. EVERYONE from his life is a bad influence. The Uncle/Aunt that raised him he tried to distance himself from but they are trying to say they did a great job with him and get back in his life now. His Mother who hasn't been around at all is now trying to cosy up (and hes avoiding he cus he knows its about the $). His father is in Jail for Murder. All his friends are heavy potheads that ride his coattails for fame. Hes currently (as of the article time [Mar/Apr]) living in a senior style community in Florida on the beach to try and get away from his past life. He takes walks on the beach when hes anxious and wants to light up, and hes 1 day at a time. His agents assistant comes over each even and drives off with his Car so he cant go get in trouble in the nightlife. He would be the worst possible pick for us unless it was 5th rd + with a 75% likelihood of regressing. All the talent in the world and I am rooting for the Kid, but we cant afford to take him. SF, Balt, Pats would be good orgs for him to go to since they don't need him and they have the picks to spare. Also, hes a short Nickel CB in the NFL and return guy. He couldn't cover NFN N Outside receivers.

Last edited by DJ-B on April 26th, 2013, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 26th, 2013, 12:50 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Heisman Winner

Yeah he comes with a great deal of baggage and perhaps I'm still holding on to the few games I saw him play two years ago but I remember watching him thinking he was exactly the player the Lions were missing, a solid corner with return capability. That said I think I would be disappointed if the Lions picked him in the 2nd.

April 26th, 2013, 1:11 pm
I'll say this... IMO the Vikings drafted two problem children in Patterson and Rhodes...

IMO both of those kids are dickbags...

April 26th, 2013, 1:14 pm
RIP Killer

rao wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Considering all the MLB needy teams at the end of the first passed on him, I would say confidently he isn't the BPA. Even more so because he plays a filled position for the Lions. Just like how a DT isn't going to be the BPA this early for the Lions, I don't see how a MLB that can't move outside could be BPA.

What teams are you talking about? Ravens? Well, maybe they haven't given up on McClain. And they also have a need at safety, so their pick still makes sense.

Minnesota took Floyd because the value was through the roof. Rhodes was also considered a higher level prospect than Te'o and filled a need for them with the loss of Winfield. And them trading up to get Patterson is yet another example of them getting a value pick at a position of need. The Vikings made HUGE strides, just like the past two seasons, in transforming their team.

Now, in regards to the attitudes of the players....I agree with wjb on Patterson and Rhodes. But you can't deny their talent, and they wouldn't be the first players to get drafted who had attitudes but still played well on the field. Not everyone is Titus Young.

Who else toward the bottom desperately needs a MLB? And remember, some teams may be willing to sit tight because Kevin Minter is still available as a consolation prize.

April 26th, 2013, 2:49 pm
League MVP

m2karateman wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

I like Devonte Holloman later in the draft to be the Lions OLB, 4th or 5th rd

April 26th, 2013, 3:01 pm
RIP Killer

Regarding Tyrann Mathieu, he has shown me he has no sense of reality. That is a dangerous sign coming from a person who repeatedly tried to escape reality by smoking pot, even when he knew his college career was on the line. He's relapse looking for a place to happen.

Up and until he accepts the idea that he should be happy his name is even discussed as part of the draft process, the Lions should avoid him. Getting upset because his name wasn't called when HE thought it should be is utterly ridiculous and immature.

If the Lions drafted this kid with the 39th pick of the 7th round, I'd be pissed. If they wanted to bring him in as a UDFA, I'd be good with that. But there's no way I'd throw a pick at him.

April 26th, 2013, 3:03 pm
League MVP

my guess is mathieu goes to cincinnatti later in the draft?

April 26th, 2013, 3:14 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

aManNamedSuh wrote:

I'd consider it

April 26th, 2013, 3:16 pm
NFL Veteran

m2karateman wrote:
rao wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

What teams are you talking about? Ravens? Well, maybe they haven't given up on McClain. And they also have a need at safety, so their pick still makes sense.

Minnesota took Floyd because the value was through the roof. Rhodes was also considered a higher level prospect than Te'o and filled a need for them with the loss of Winfield. And them trading up to get Patterson is yet another example of them getting a value pick at a position of need. The Vikings made HUGE strides, just like the past two seasons, in transforming their team.

Now, in regards to the attitudes of the players....I agree with wjb on Patterson and Rhodes. But you can't deny their talent, and they wouldn't be the first players to get drafted who had attitudes but still played well on the field. Not everyone is Titus Young.

Who else toward the bottom desperately needs a MLB? And remember, some teams may be willing to sit tight because Kevin Minter is still available as a consolation prize.

CHI and the Ravens passed, but I can see your point. I would go back and ask you why he would be the BPA? He doesn't fill a need, he's not particularly athletic, can't play multiple positions, he seems like a pretty average 2nd round player.

Minter has basically the same stats, the same athletic ability and played in the SEC. I would say he's BPA if the two were being compared.

Rhodes talent will be worth any headaches he causes, but I don't know how much production the Vikes will be able to get from Patterson. With Ponder at QB they are going to need Patterson to run short quick routes and screens, he may not be able to handle learning the more complicated NFL playbook quickly and with AP being their offensive focus I'm curious how well/willing he will be as a down field blocker.

April 26th, 2013, 3:25 pm
League MVP

Darius Slay good pick

April 26th, 2013, 6:58 pm
The Legend wrote:
Darius Slay good pick

If we were going to go CB I would have preferred Taylor or Banks...

That said, I don't get it, primarily because we have 3 young, allegely good CBs on the roster. I would have preferred a WR. At least the two guys I really wanted us to take were off the board.

Still would have preferred Robert Woods or DeAndre Hopkins.

April 26th, 2013, 7:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next